Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,941 members, 7,969,888 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 04:11 PM

Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... (12980 Views)

Submit Your Question For The Head Of HR At The Nigerian Stock Exchange / Recruitment Consultant Trainee @ ETR / Trainee/graduate Recruitment Consultant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by HapiNna: 9:31pm On Apr 27, 2013
@op, thanks for your time
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 27, 2013
tpapi: Pls I need a sample of a cover letter for the position of an admin assistant

Just google it. There's a lot you can learn from google. But please when you see the sample letter, don't just change the title and address; customize it to the company and the job you're applying for. put some personal experiences, education and skills and how it relates to the job plus why you would like to work with the company.

All the best
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by goldenboi(m): 9:45pm On Apr 27, 2013
@OP pls how serious do recruitment firms take the issue of years of experience?

Keep up the good work.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by emveepee: 10:01pm On Apr 27, 2013
Thank you OP for this topic. My question is, What are the possible questions an interviewer may ask during an interview for a banking job? Anxiously waiting for an answer on this.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Gooogle(m): 10:08pm On Apr 27, 2013
This also might be usefull
www.glassdoor.com
It gives you salary range, interview questions,company profile etc
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by jephiano: 10:10pm On Apr 27, 2013
Well it depends on the firm. I think its best to find out from someone in the firm that is a 3rd party contract personnel. Some firms almost automatically renew these contracts every year and you see people who spend decades in that level. U could ask someone who works there before u inquire about the potential availabilty of a 2-year contract from HR. Wish u the very best bro.
goodsegs: Hello,
i am currently working as a permanent staff with an IT firm.But i got a juicy offer with a third party company to an Oil company.is a contract position that will be renewed after every one year.Now,my fear is that,what if the contract is not renewed at the end of the first year? It may put me under alot of pressure.I am yet to accept the offer as i told them to give me one week to decide.Now,someone advised i ask them to make me a 2 years contract offer on a goal.I am yet to relay this to the firm,but how do you think is best to negotiate this deal? the offer is good and i do not want it to sly.Kindly advise.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by jerryben12: 10:39pm On Apr 27, 2013
van909: Thks OPS for dis thread. pls i have 2 question 2 ask
1 "tell us abt ur self" do i have to talk abt my personal data or talk abt me in general.
2"i went for an interview and was asked to analyze all about analytical skills. Pls throw more light on these cos we learn every day thanks

1 Talk about your education, job history and your other career attributes that makes you a fit for the job. This is just a quick snapshot of your CV. An example is " about me, I have a degree in accounting with an active CPA certification. I am currently an Accounts Payable clerk with Company X performing most of the contractors invoice validation and payments. I have been in this role for 3 years. Prior to Company X, I worked for Company Y in a similar role for 2 years.

2. If you are asked to analyze all about your analytical skills, focus on those areas where you can use real job examples to buttress your point. Look at it this way, you are telling the interview to give you the job... What will earn you the job? Relate your prior work to the role you are shooting for....An example about your analytical skills: as certified accountant, I work a lot with numbers that all makes it way to management's reporting and the overall company's financials. I analyze and allocate these numbers into the right reporting buckets and perform trending for periods over periods. This analysis gives clear visibility on the company's financial performance after excluding contractors payments which falls in the expense bucket".

2 Likes

Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by mkoabiola: 10:41pm On Apr 27, 2013
Wat a. Nice thread.
Ds is not toto dike.
Keep d questions coming.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by jerryben12: 10:42pm On Apr 27, 2013
emveepee: Thank you OP for this topic. My question is, What are the possible questions an interviewer may ask during an interview for a banking job? Anxiously waiting for an answer on this.

I know you directed this question to the OP. What position in the bank?
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Kingspin(m): 10:43pm On Apr 27, 2013
Helo;
I want to know how an internship job seeker can try to convince his interviewer that he/she can do the job especially when the interviewee lackt the experience which most time is a challenge.How do we go about it both in oral and writing.Thank U.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Ronky9ce(f): 11:04pm On Apr 27, 2013
Enjoying myself with this thread
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by ify4king(m): 11:37pm On Apr 27, 2013
@op, I was invited 4 an interview wit a reputable firm for a position I never applied for, though I hv applied 4 several positions in dat same coy but for this position they re inviting me, I didnt apply 4 it, wat should I do?
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by gbokukueba(m): 12:59am On Apr 28, 2013
rhymz: Don't ever try going through that line of being more Keen on the Job than the Salary, I tried it with the present company I am working for and I am regretting it, walahi. Most Nigerian employers even the once from foreign firm ask you this question to know if you understand the enormity of the Job you want, the moment you play too nice, they take it as you probably do not have the required experience or skills and need the job to get, next thing is to pay you what they think you should get and not neccessarily what is fair. I was asked thesame thing and I kept on talking about how I was more interested in gaining practical experience through the Job than what is fair as Salary. i ended up getting almost half of what my coleagues are presently getting. Effort to negotiate it has been very difficult and I suspect the HRM purposely does not make himself available once he knows I am the one waiting to see him; it is either he gives you another time to see him or claims to be in a meeting.
The best thing to do is to know the industry standard payment for your position and tell them, you will want to be paid based on that, if they ask to know whether you know the industry standard, you tell them. Act like you know your worth. Dont go there telling them you want to work while de-emphasizing the payment. Me presently sef, I want to leave the job and prolly explore banking jobs. . .they pay more and the job is not so physically tasking on like my present job. So use your head o.

I agree with you absolutely i work in HR and see how people shortchange themselves when it comes to the minimum they can go for in terms of salarirs they keep dribbling the interviewer and emphasizing on how the job is the best thing to happen since slice bread... Know your worth, understand industry average and determine your minimum...
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by ayewosa(m): 6:46am On Apr 28, 2013
Very nice thread am learning a lot here. Thanks @OP
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Johnokon(m): 8:17am On Apr 28, 2013
When asked on analytical skill respond on ur effort to employ skills to analyse situations with a view to proferring or providing best options or decisions. U could adopt SWOT or estimate process. Strenght. Weakness. Opportunities. Threat. Etc
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by rhymz(m): 9:10am On Apr 28, 2013
Johnokon: When asked on analytical skill respond on ur effort to employ skills to analyse situations with a view to proferring or providing best options or decisions. U could adopt SWOT or estimate process. Strenght. Weakness. Opportunities. Threat. Etc
what are you talking about?
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by van909: 9:32am On Apr 28, 2013
Thanks guys for answering my question I'm really grateful. Pls I have another question to ask.
There's is an international public health firm in abuja dat are recruiting and candidates were told to "STATE BOLDLY @ THE TOP OF THE RESUME SALARY EXPECTAION" how can I no the salary expectaion I googled the organisation but couldn't get a clue about their pay. Should I write my current salary cos they said that "SALARY WILL BE COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE AND SALARY HISTORY.
Pls I need advice cos I like to work with them. Thanks
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Nobody: 9:51am On Apr 28, 2013
rhymz: Don't ever try going through that line of being more Keen on the Job than the Salary, I tried it with the present company I am working for and I am regretting it, walahi. Most Nigerian employers even the once from foreign firm ask you this question to know if you understand the enormity of the Job you want, the moment you play too nice, they take it as you probably do not have the required experience or skills and need the job to get, next thing is to pay you what they think you should get and not neccessarily what is fair. I was asked thesame thing and I kept on talking about how I was more interested in gaining practical experience through the Job than what is fair as Salary. i ended up getting almost half of what my coleagues are presently getting. Effort to negotiate it has been very difficult and I suspect the HRM purposely does not make himself available once he knows I am the one waiting to see him; it is either he gives you another time to see him or claims to be in a meeting.
The best thing to do is to know the industry standard payment for your position and tell them, you will want to be paid based on that, if they ask to know whether you know the industry standard, you tell them. Act like you know your worth. Dont go there telling them you want to work while de-emphasizing the payment. Me presently sef, I want to leave the job and prolly explore banking jobs. . .they pay more and the job is not so physically tasking on like my present job. So use your head o.
lukmonolakunmi: [/quote][quote author=lukmonolakunmi]
nice 1
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Nobody: 10:25am On Apr 28, 2013
@ op, pls i wld want 2 av a sample each of a cover letter n a resume., av tried viewin dem on my fone but cld'nt. Pls help out thanks...
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 28, 2013
@ryhme; pls cld u tel us d neccessity of a cover letter n a resume. And is it a must da u av both in additn whenever ur dropin or sendin ur cv?
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by kreal: 10:41am On Apr 28, 2013
pls wat is likely answer to interview question like'why did u want to work with our company'
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by rhymz(m): 2:53pm On Apr 28, 2013
lukmonolakunmi: @ryhme; pls cld u tel us d neccessity of a cover letter n a resume. And is it a must da u av both in additn whenever ur dropin or sendin ur cv?
To tell you the trith, I hardly send my CV together with a cover letter unless it was stated on the job placement. And when I write my cover letters I try so much not to sound cliché cos I have noticed most people send thesame cover letters to different job placements. Your best bet when writing a cover letter is to sound as natural as possible, emphasize on your skills and strength as it relates to the job you applied for. Don't repeat information you already have on the CV instead explore them. Be short and precise, use simple english and a good mix of long and short sentences. The major thing in cover letters is; emphasize your strength and skills as it relates to the job. If you can't write it, find somebody who can, don't force youtself to write it only to sound unintelligent.
Another, on your CV, if you know you did not graduate with a 2.1 CGPA, don't emphasize on it, just write second class honours, or second class division, don't go and start putting 2nd class lower division, you will only limit your chances of being given the opportunity to be heard for interviews, tests and so on. . . It will be better they know about your CGPA after the opportunity of an impressive interview or exam score than before it.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by jerryben12: 2:57pm On Apr 28, 2013
van909: Thanks guys for answering my question I'm really grateful. Pls I have another question to ask.
There's is an international public health firm in abuja dat are recruiting and candidates were told to "STATE BOLDLY @ THE TOP OF THE RESUME SALARY EXPECTAION" how can I no the salary expectaion I googled the organisation but couldn't get a clue about their pay. Should I write my current salary cos they said that "SALARY WILL BE COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE AND SALARY HISTORY.
Pls I need advice cos I like to work with them. Thanks

Your thought is in the right direction. Since they have specifically asked for it, I will advise you to state your current and expected. For a reasonable job move, if it is salary motivated, not to be greedy, you are looking at like 10% increase for a lateral move (meaning same position but a different company). Use the following example:
Current Salary - N100,000 per month
Expected Salary - N110,000 per month

This is when your move is Salary driven. However, if you have an insider knowledge of the salary for a similar position in that company, do not include your current salary (just put that insider salary you know about). Additionally, use industry data.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Nobody: 3:34pm On Apr 28, 2013
rhymz: To tell you the trith, I hardly send my CV together with a cover letter unless it was stated on the job placement. And when I write my cover letters I try so much not to sound cliché cos I have noticed most people send thesame cover letters to different job placements. Your best bet when writing a cover letter is to sound as natural as possible, emphasize on your skills and strength as it relates to the job you applied for. Don't repeat information you already have on the CV instead explore them. Be short and precise, use simple english and a good mix of long and short sentences. The major thing in cover letters is; emphasize your strength and skills as it relates to the job. If you can't write it, find somebody who can, don't force youtself to write it only to sound unintelligent.
Another, on your CV, if you know you did not graduate with a 2.1 CGPA, don't emphasize on it, just write second class honours, or second class division, don't go and start putting 2nd class lower division, you will only limit your chances of being given the opportunity to be heard for interviews, tests and so on. . . It will be better they know about your CGPA after the opportunity of an impressive interview or exam score than before it.
very helpful thanks thanks
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Ima2: 3:50pm On Apr 28, 2013
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by IfionuVal(m): 4:14pm On Apr 28, 2013
Nice job done here,Pls what should be the format of my Cover letter if I'm asked to send it with my C.V.? should it be like d usual formal letter? i.e having sender's address,date, receiver's addr.,salutation,title,signature and the rest?
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by blaze007(m): 4:14pm On Apr 28, 2013
Am enjoyn diz. My questin is, wat abt if its a new company nd u probably 1st set of stafs nd dey askng 4 hw much 2 pay, hw wil 1 ansa diz since u dnt ve any idea? Tanx
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by Lana75(f): 5:48pm On Apr 28, 2013
[Yes d op has done well For opening d thread, u have also done well for keeping d thread alive. Well done bro, more power to ur elbow.]

I know you directed this question to the OP. What position in the bank?[/quote]
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by saladhor(m): 8:13pm On Apr 28, 2013
@OP This one is on the lighter side but I'd be interested to know what are your thoughts on taking a bottle of water to an interview.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by ratchy: 8:24pm On Apr 28, 2013
Pls can sm1 submit his/her CV witout a company recruiting?
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by ahabdullahi(m): 9:51pm On Apr 28, 2013
hello, I HAVE BACHELOR DEGREE IN LIBRARY SCIENCE WITH 9 YEARS TEACHING EXPRGENCE IN SECONDARY SCHOOL. RECENTLY I OBTAINED POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN BANKING AND FINANCE INTENDING TO SECURE BANKING JOB. PLS, FROM WHERE WILL I START THE JOB SEARCH NOW ? AND IN WHICH OTHER AREAS THIS PGD CERT. WILL HELP ME SECURE BETTER JOB. THANKS.
Re: Recruitment Consultant: Ask Your Question... by veriland(m): 10:47pm On Apr 28, 2013
Hope49ja: Ask anything you want to know and I will do my best to answer...
I ve some question to ask.(1) wen u are asked to send ur applications and cv to an email,do they mean cover letter or application leta and ur cv??(2) wat are d basic difference btw a cover letter and appliation leta,is cover leta writtten like a forml leta?(3) how can I send a cv in pdf file.tanx

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mtn/diamond Bank DYA Teller Agent / Please Narialanders I Need Your Advice About My Career / Advise Me On This Job Offer, I Am Confused And Sad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.