Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,299 members, 7,940,187 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 07:00 PM

Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! (138997 Views)

Dahomey Women Warriors - Nigerias Deadliest Fighting Force! / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe / Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 21, 2013
Interesting!

*Kails*:

no problem. smiley

[size=18pt]Stono Rebellion[/size]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stono_Rebellion

The Stono Rebellion (sometimes called Cato's Conspiracy or Cato's Rebellion) was a slave rebellion that commenced on 9 September 1739, in the colony of South Carolina. It was the largest slave uprising in the British mainland colonies prior to the American Revolution.

One of the earliest known organized rebellions in the present United States, the uprising was led by native Africans who were Catholic and likely from the Kingdom of Kongo, which had been Catholic since 1491. Some of the Kongolese spoke Portuguese. Their leader, Jemmy (referred to in some reports as "Cato", and probably a slave belonging to the Cato, or Cater, family who lived just off the Ashley River and north of the Stono River) was a literate slave who led 20 other enslaved Kongolese, who may have been former soldiers, in an armed march south from the Stono River (for which the rebellion is named).
They recruited nearly 60 other slaves and killed 22–25 whites before being intercepted by the South Carolina militia near the Edisto River. In that battle, 20 whites and 44 slaves were killed, and the rebellion was largely suppressed. A group of slaves escaped and traveled another 30 miles (50 km) before battling a week later with the militia. Most of the captured slaves were executed; a few survived to be sold to the West Indies.
In response to the rebellion, the South Carolina legislature passed the Negro Act of 1740 restricting slave assembly, education, and movement. It also enacted a 10-year moratorium against importing African slaves, and established penalties against slaveholders' harsh treatment of slaves. It required legislative approval for manumissions, which slaveholders had previously been able to arrange privately.

Local factors
Since 1708, the majority of the population of the South Carolina colony were slaves, as importation of laborers from Africa had increased in recent decades with the expansion of cotton and rice cultivation. This was what was called the Plantation Generation by the historian Ira Berlin. Given the dramatic increase in importation, most of the slaves were native Africans and many in South Carolina were from the Kingdom of Kongo. Numerous slaves had first been held in the British West Indies before being brought to South Carolina.

The slaves may have been inspired by several factors to mount their rebellion. Accounts of slaves' gaining freedom by escaping to Spanish-controlled Florida gave the Carolina slaves hope; the Spanish had issued a proclamation and had agents spread the word about giving freedom and land to slaves who got to Florida. Tensions between England and Spain over territory in North America made slaves hopeful of reaching Spanish territory, particularly the free black community of Fort Mose, founded in 1738. In addition, a malaria epidemic had killed many whites in Charleston, weakening the power of slaveholders. Lastly, historians have suggested the slaves organized their revolt to take place on Sunday, when planters would be occupied in church and might be unarmed. The Security Act of 1739 (which required all white males to carry arms even to church on Sundays) had been passed in August but not fully taken effect; penalties were supposed to begin after 29 September.

African background

Jemmy, the leader of the revolt, was a literate slave described in an eyewitness account as "Angolan." Historian John K. Thornton has noted that, because of patterns of trade, he was more likely from the Kingdom of Kongo in west Central Africa, which had long had relations with Portuguese traders. His cohort of 20 slaves were also called "Angolan", and likely also Kongolese. The slaves were described as Catholic, and some spoke Portuguese, learned from the traders operating in the Kongo Empire at the time. The patterns of trade and the fact that the Kongo was a Catholic nation point to their origin there. The kingdom of Kongo had voluntarily converted to Catholicism in 1491; by the 18th century, the religion was a fundamental part of its citizens' identity. The nation had independent relations with Rome.

Portuguese was the language of trade as well as the one of the languages of educated people in Kongo. The Portuguese-speaking slaves in South Carolina were more likely to learn about offers of freedom by Spanish agents. They would also have been attracted to the Catholicism of Florida. Because Kongo had been undergoing civil wars, more people had been captured and sold into slavery in recent years, among them trained soldiers. It is likely that Jemmy and his rebel cohort were such military men, as they fought hard against the militia when they were caught, and were able to kill 20 men.

The events of the revolt

On Sunday, 9 September 1739, Jemmy gathered 20 enslaved Africans near the Stono River, 20 miles (30 km) southwest of Charleston. This date was important to them as the Catholic celebration of the Virgin Mary's nativity; like the religious symbols they used, taking action on this date connected their Catholic past with present purpose.[5] The Africans marched down the roadway with a banner that read "Liberty!", and chanted the same word in unison. They attacked Hutchenson's store at the Stono River Bridge, killing two storekeepers and seizing weapons and ammunition.

Raising a flag, the slaves proceeded south toward Spanish Florida, a well-known refuge for escapees. On the way, they gathered more recruits, sometimes reluctant ones, for a total of 80. They burned seven plantations and killed 20–25 whites along the way. South Carolina's Lieutenant Governor William Bull and four of his friends came across the group while on horseback. They left to warn other slaveholders. Rallying a militia of planters and slaveholders, the colonists traveled to confront Jemmy and his followers.

The next day, the well-armed and mounted militia, numbering 20–100 men, caught up with the group of 80 slaves at the Edisto River. In the ensuing confrontation, 20 whites and 44 slaves were killed. While the slaves lost, they killed proportionately more whites than was the case in later rebellions. The colonists mounted the decapitated heads of the rebels on stakes along major roadways to serve as warning for other slaves who might consider revolt.

The lieutenant governor hired Chickasaw and Catawba Indians and other slaves to track down and capture the slaves who had escaped from the battle. A group of the slaves who escaped fought a pitched battle with a militia a week later approximately 30 miles (50 km) from the site of the first conflict. The colonists executed most of the rebellious slaves; they sold other slaves off to the markets of the West Indies.

Aftermath
Over the next two years, slave uprisings occurred independently in Georgia and South Carolina, perhaps inspired, as colonial officials believed, by the Stono Rebellion. Conditions of slavery were sufficient cause. Planters decided they had to develop a slave population who were native-born, believing they were more content if they grew up enslaved. Attributing the rebellion to the recently imported Africans, planters decided to cut off the supply and enacted a 10-year moratorium on slave importation through Charleston. [size=18pt]After they opened it up to international trade again, they imported slaves from areas other than the Congo-Angolan region.[/size] grin grin grin grin grin grin

In addition, the legislature passed the Negro Act of 1740 to tighten controls: it required a ratio of one white to ten blacks on any plantation. It prohibited slaves from growing their own food, assembling in groups, earning money, or learning to read. In the uncertain world of the colony, several of the law's provisions were based on the assumption that whites could effectively judge black character; for instance, whites were empowered to examine blacks who were traveling outside a plantation without passes, and to take action.[10] The legislature also worked to improve conditions in slavery; it established penalties for masters who demanded excessive work or who brutally punished slaves (these provisions were difficult to enforce, as the law did not allow slave testimony against whites.) They also started a school to teach slaves Christian doctrine.

At the same time, the legislature tried to prevent slaves from being manumitted, as the representatives thought that the presence of free blacks in the colony made slaves restless. It required slaveholders to apply to the legislature for permission for each case of manumission, which had formerly been arranged privately. South Carolina kept these restrictions against manumission until slavery was abolished after the American Civil War.

The legislature's action related to manumissions likely reduced the chances that planters would free the mixed-race children born of their (or their sons') liaisons with enslaved women, as they did not want to subject their sexual lives to public scrutiny.[12] Such relationships continued, as documented in numerous sources. For instance, by 1860 the 200 students at Wilberforce University in Ohio, established for blacks, were mostly mixed-race children of wealthy southern planter fathers.

Now named the Stono River Slave Rebellion Site, the Hutchinson's warehouse site where the revolt began was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1974. A South Carolina Historical Marker has also been erected at the site.

2 Likes

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 2:46pm On Apr 21, 2013
@kid, glad you like it bro. smiley smiley i see odumchi finally unhid my post.
ironically i still can't post under that name kails. tongue

i am still banned under both my main handles, one of which
is expected to expire in a few...like an hour tongue

anyway i was finally able to find out what it was that
we eat that haitians think we are nuts for...it's called "sisumba"..
im not sure if I am spelling it right. tongue

i'll look more into it.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 21, 2013
lol @ me saying "it starts with a B"..

#WAAYOFF! grin
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 21, 2013
BelaMorena: @kid, glad you like it bro. smiley smiley i see odumchi finally unhid my post.
ironically i still can't post under that name kails. tongue

i am still banned under both my main handles, one of which
is expected to expire in a few...like an hour tongue

anyway i was finally able to find out what it was that
we eat that haitians think we are nuts for...it's called "sisumba"..
im not sure if I am spelling it right. tongue

i'll look more into it.

I see and thanks. smiley

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 7:31pm On Apr 21, 2013
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by alanmwene: 9:45pm On Apr 21, 2013

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by onila(f): 9:47pm On Apr 21, 2013
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:03pm On Apr 21, 2013

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by onila(f): 10:07pm On Apr 21, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

This one was a fool.
like biya
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 21, 2013
onila: like biya
More like Ojukwu. IMO
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:15pm On Apr 21, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

This one was a fool.

his name?
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:55pm On Apr 21, 2013
alanmwene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbFsfZJjGs

interesting video..

speaking of zulu...
i know kid already covered it but shaka zulu
is by far my favorite continental African Warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRz1JlF87c

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 21, 2013
repost

[size=13pt]@ kid i was thinking....it would be awesome to hold a debate
On which of these warriors would win if they were to battle each other. Kinda like "deadliest warrior" only we are stating,what we think would happen.

We could put yaa asantewa vs. Nzinga

Or hannibal vs. Shaka zulu

Boukman vs. Nat turner

Etc. lol[/size]

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:28pm On Apr 21, 2013
*Kails*:
repost

[size=13pt]@ kid i was thinking....it would be awesome to hold a debate
On which of these warriors would win if they were to battle each other. Kinda like "deadliest warrior" only we are stating,what we think would happen.

We could put yaa asantewa vs. Nzinga

Or hannibal vs. Shaka zulu

Boukman vs. Nat turner

Etc. lol[/size]

I was thinking the samething too! grin
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 21, 2013
François Capois(Haitian)

[size=13pt]Capturing of Port-de-Paix and Tortuga Island (L'ile de la Tortue)[/size]
After receiving new troops from France, Rochambeau dispatched General Clauzel against Port-de-Paix which Capois was forced to evacuate, but the fearless black general redeemed his defeat by storming the Petit-Fort where he captured the ammunition, of which he was in great need. After his success at Petit-Fort, he decided to attack Tortuga island. The most difficult problem he had in this attack was how to reach this island without ships. He made up for this lack by building a raft consisting merely of planks held together by lianas. On the night of February 18, 1803, 150 soldiers under the command of Vincent Louis were huddled together on this frail means of transportation in tow of 2 rowboats. They fell unexpectedly on the garrison of Tortuga and for a while seemed to be the conquerors. But the French, who soon got over their surprise, rallied and defeated Vincent Louis, who succeeded in making his escape with some of his companions. The unfortunate blacks who were taken prisoner by the French were tortured to death in expiation of the audacious attempt. The failure did not discourage the energy of Capois. On April 12, 1803, Capois stormed Port-de-Paix, and soon after, Vincent Louis on his raft was again on his way to Tortuga. He succeeded this time in taking possession of the island, which the French never recovered.

[size=13pt]Battle of Vertières[/size]
On November 18, 1803, Jean-Jacques Dessalines had ordered Capois to take Vertières, a fort situated upon the mount. Capois-la-Mort advanced with a demi-brigade which, horribly multilated, soon recoiled before the cannon fire coming from the fort. He led it back for a second time, but was again driven to the bottom of the hill by the mitrailleuse. Boiling with rage, Capois ran to seek other new troops and, mounting his horse, advanced for the third time; again the thousand deaths that vomited from the fortress repulsed him and his brigade. Now for the fourth time, he asked his men to follow him by saying "Forward! forward!." While he was at the head of his men, his horse was hit by a cannonball—he fell, but Capois took his sword, got up, and ran to place himself again at the head of his black soldiers by shouting "Forward! Forward!" His cap, garnished with plumes, was carried away by a shot. He replied to the insult which left him hatless by drawing his sword and again throwing himself into the assault. Observing this, Rochambeau and his men shouted: "Bravo! bravo! bravo!" The firing in the fort ceased. Suddenly, the battle was still. A French staff officer mounted his horse and rode toward the intrepid Capois-la-Mort. With a great voice he shouted: "General Rochambeau sends compliments to the general who has just covered himself with such glory!" Then he saluted the Haitian warriors, returned to his position and the fight resumed. grin grin grin The next morning a French officer followed by his companions led to the headquarters of the Haitian army a horse caparisoned, and delivered him with these words: "The Captain-general (Rochambeau) offers this horse as a mark of admiration to the "black Achilles" to replace the one of his that the French army regrets having killed."
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Capois

^^^This guy was a freaking bad*ss that even the French admired him! The Haitian revolution birthed many amazing Generals...{Probably the best African descent generals ever! Proud to be part Haitian! cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:51pm On Apr 21, 2013
KidStranglehold:

I was thinking the samething too! grin

cool cool grin

yeah. odumchi has been promising a culture debate for so long.
im kinda tired of waiting..so i figured we can host our own, why not? smiley
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:53pm On Apr 21, 2013
*Kails*:

cool cool grin

yeah. odumchi has been promising a culture debate for so long.
im kinda tired of waiting..so i figured we can host our own, why not? smiley

Cool. Why don't you make the thread and put the black warriors that were posted in this thread on your thread. Like Put them in rounds and there could be a debate/vote. IDK...Just thinking.

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:54pm On Apr 21, 2013
KidStranglehold: [size=18pt]While he was at the head of his men, his horse was hit by a cannonball—he fell, but Capois took his sword, got up, and ran to place himself again at the head of his black soldiers by shouting "Forward! Forward!" His cap, garnished with plumes, was carried away by a shot. He replied to the insult which left him hatless by drawing his sword and again throwing himself into the assault.[/size]

[size=38pt]REAL WARRIOR!!![/size]

He makes me even MORE proud to be Caribbean!! cool cool
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:55pm On Apr 21, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Cool. Why don't you make the thread and put the black warriors that were posted in this thread on your thread. Like Put them in rounds and there could be a debate/vote. IDK...Just thinking.

that's a good idea.
truth be told it won't be today dear.

but tomorrow for sure..i just wanna know if you're down. wink
it should be interesting. grin
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:57pm On Apr 21, 2013
*Kails*:

[size=38pt]REAL WARRIOR!!![/size]

He makes me even MORE proud to be Caribbean!! cool cool

Pfff....That's not even all I have for my Haitian generals...Remember I'm saving the best for last.

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 21, 2013
*Kails*:

that's a good idea.
truth be told it won't be today dear.

but tomorrow for sure..i just wanna know if you're down. wink
it should be interesting. grin

Yeah im dowh. Just take your time.

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:00am On Apr 22, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Pfff....That's not even all I have for my Haitian generals...Remember I'm saving the best for last.

i don't know what you're waiting for mehn. lol

post 'em. smiley

right now this is my facial expression >> grin.

it sickens my stomach that this is not taught in American schools.
and even more so to know that its the reason why the world (puppets of the french and UN) refuse to uplift haiti.

the haitian revolution and revolutionists have done so much for ALL of us caribbeans and AAs directly in terms of influence. we are in my opinion in debt to haiti!!
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:00am On Apr 22, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Yeah im dowh. Just take your time.

you are just awesome. kiss
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:04am On Apr 22, 2013
OMG!!! How the heck can I forget her!!!!
[size=15pt]Queen Nzinga(Kongolese)[/size]

In the sixteenth century, the Portugese position in the slave trade was threatened by England and France. As a result, the Portugese shifted their slave-trading activities to the Congo and South West Africa. Mistaking the title of the ruler (ngola) for the name of the country, the Portugese called the land of the Mbundu people Angola—the name by which it is still known today.

Here, the Portugese encountered the brilliant and courageous Queen Nzinga, who was determined never to accept the Portugese conquest of her country. An exceptional stateswoman and military strategist, she harassed the Portugese until her death, at age eighty.

Her meeting with the Portugese governor, recorded by a Dutch artist, is legendary in the history of Africa's confrontations with Europe: Representing her brother, the ngola, Nzinga arrived at Luanda in royal splendor. Upon entering the room, Nzinga observed that the only seat in the room belonged to the governor. She promptly summoned one of her women, who fell on her hands and knees and became Nzinga's "seat". Outwitted from the start, the governor never gained the advantage at the meeting, which resulted in a treaty on equal terms.

Converting to Christianity for reasons more political than religious (primarily to forge links with the governor) she adopted the name Dona Anna de Souza. However, the governor could not honor the treaty as Portugal's rapacious appetite for black slaves had to be satisfied. She appealed to her brother to repel the Portugese, but he proved to be a weakling and Nzinga decided to take matters into her own hands.

Subsequently, Nzinga formed an alliance with the Jaga. She fashioned an organized army out of disparate elements, strengthened the alliance by marrying the Jaga chief, and ultimately created a land for her people by conquering the kingdom of Matamba. The fragile alliance with the Jaga chief ended when he betrayed her and attacked Matamba. Fortunately, dissension among the Europeans—the Dutch were encroaching on Portugal's share of the slave trade—created an opportunity for Nzinga. She established a strategic alliance with the Dutch, pitting them against the Portugese. After the Portugese routed the Dutch, Nzinga retreated to the hills of Matamba, where she established a formidable resistance movement against the Portugese regime.

She became renowned for the guerilla tactics she employed for resisting the technologically superior Portugese army. She was a brilliant strategist and, although past sixty, led her warriors herself.

Never surrendering, she died on December 17, 1663.

Her death accelerated the Portugese occupation of the interior of South West Africa, fueled by the massive expansion of the Portugese slave trade.

The nineteenth century saw European powers carving up Africa, culminating in the infliction of a brutal colonial system on all of Africa.

Modern-day resistance to the colonial system in Angola, taking a page out of Nzinga's book, was in the form of a lengthy guerilla campaign which ultimately led to Angola's independence from Portugal on November 11, 1975.

Source:
http://blackhistorypages.net/pages/nzinga.php

^^^Man how the heck can I forget her? Queen Nzinga: Fought the dutch and Portuguese for over 60 years and died undefeated at the age of 80. She deserve to be one of the greatest military and political strategist of all time!
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:08am On Apr 22, 2013
*Kails*:

i don't know what you're waiting for mehn. lol

post 'em. smiley

right now this is my facial expression >> grin.

it sickens my stomach that this is not taught in American schools.
and even more so to know that its the reason why the world (puppets of the french and UN) refuse to uplift haiti.

the haitian revolution and revolutionists have done so much for ALL of us caribbeans and AAs directly in terms of influence. we are in my opinion in debt to haiti!!

I agree.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:25am On Apr 22, 2013
[size=13pt]Queen Amanirenas of Meroe(Kushite)[/size]

(ca. 40 BCE-10 BCE)Queen Amanirenas of Meroe Ameniras challenged the Romans who took over Egypt after the passing of Cleopatra VII. She reigned from about 40 BCE to 10 BCE. She is one of the most famous kandakes, because of her role leading Kushites armies against the Romans from in a war that lasted five years, from 27 BCE to 22 BCE. After an initial victory when she attacked Roman Egypt, Amanirenas was defeated at Qasr Ibrim by Petronius. She succeeded in negotiating a peace treaty on favourable terms. Amanirenas was described as brave, and blind in one eye.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanirenas

^^^Now this b*tch was a warrior...It wasn't the norm to war with the Romans for five years. Even though she lost, but still. The Roman empire has NEVER conquered the area of modern day North Sudan(Nubia), because the Nubians(or Kushite's) were fierce warriors.

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 22, 2013
[size=13pt]Muhammad Ahmad(Sudanese)[/size]

^^^^This guy was a complete bad*ss. He whooped the British multiple times. Here are some video's on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDo3Z7OBi5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr_Li-E8j0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4P8bMMpqpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfb4_wyfXZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wPZ8_CtcUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxF193f_OTs

^^^Not a big fan of the Northern Sudanese, but they had some pretty dope fighters.
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:54am On Apr 22, 2013
Yaa Asantewaa(Ashanti)

Her fight against British colonialists is a story is woven throughout the history of Ghana. A story from Ghana , A History for Primary Schools, E.A. Addy; In the evening the chiefs held a secret meeting at Kumasi. Yaa Asantewaa the Queen Mother of Ejisu, was at the meeting. The chiefs were discussing how they should make war on the white men and force them to bring back the Asantehene. Yaa Asantewaa saw that some of the chiefs were afraid. Some said that there should be no war. They should rather go to beg the Governor to bring back the Asantehene King(Nana) Prempeh.

Then suddenly Yaa Asantewaa stood up and spoke. This was what she said: "Now I have seen that some of you fear to go forward to fight for our king. If it were in the brave days of, the days of Osei Tutu, Okomfo Anokye, and Opoku Ware, chiefs would not sit down to see thier king taken away without firing a shot. No white man could have dared to speak to chief of the Ashanti in the way the Governor spoke to you chiefs this morning. Is it true that the bravery of the Ashanti is no more? I cannot believe it. It cannot be! I must say this: if you the men of Ashanti will not go forward, then we will. We the women will. I shall call upon my fellow women.

We will fight the white men. We will fight till the last of us falls in the battlefields."

This speech stirred up the men who took an other to fight the white men until they released the Asantehene. For months the Ashantis led by Yaa Asantewaa fought very bravely and kept the white men in the fort. Yet British reinforcements totaling 1,400 soldiers arrived at Kumasi. Yaa Asantewa and other leaders were capturedand sent into exile. Yaa Asantewaa's war was the last of the major war in Africa led by a women.

Source:
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/people/pop-up.php?ID=175
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 12:59am On Apr 22, 2013
Queen Amina(Hausa)

The seven original states of Hausaland: Katsina, Daura, Kano, Zazzau, Gobir, Rano, and Garun Gabas cover an area of approximately 500 square miles and comprise the heart of Hausaland. In the sixteenth century, Queen Bakwa Turunku built the capital of Zazzau at Zaria, named after her younger daughter. Eventually, the entire state of Zazzau was renamed Zaria, which is now a province in present-day Nigeria.

However it was her elder daughter, the legendary Amina (or Aminatu), who inherited her mother's warlike nature. Amina was 16 years old when her mother became queen and she was given the traditional title of magajiya. She honed her military skills and became famous for her bravery and military exploits, as she is celebrated in song as "Amina daughter of Nikatau, a woman as capable as a man."

Amina is credited as the architect who created the strong earthen walls around the city, which was the prototype for the fortifications used in all Hausa states. She built many of these fortifications, which became known as ganuwar Amina or Amina's walls, around various conquered cities.

The objectives of her conquests were twofold: extension of Zazzau beyond its primary borders and reducing the conquered cities to vassal status. Sultan Muhammad Bello of Sokoto stated that, "She made war upon these countries and overcame them entirely so that the people of Katsina paid tribute to her and the men of Kano [and]... also made war on cities of Bauchi till her kingdom reached to the sea in the south and the west." Likewise, she led her armies as far as Nupe and, according to the Kano Chronicle, "The Sarkin Nupe sent her [the princess] 40 eunuchs and 10,000 kola nuts. She was the first in Hausaland to own eunuchs and kola nuts."

Amina was a preeminent gimbiya (princess) but various theories exist as to the time of her reign or if she ever was a queen. One explanation states that she reigned from approximately 1536 to 1573, while another posits that she became queen after her brother Karama's death, in 1576. Yet another claims that although she was a leading princess, she was never a queen.

Despite the discrepancies, over a 34-year period, her many conquests and subsequent annexation of the territories extended the borders of Zaria, which also grew in importance and became the center of the North-South Saharan trade and the East-West Sudan trade.

Source:
http://blackhistorypages.net/pages/amina.php

1 Like

Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 2:27am On Apr 22, 2013
lol @ forgetting nzinga!! grin

didn't i post something on her before?

or was it on the kongo thread...? don't remember. tongue
Anywho she was a tough babe!! cool
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by Nobody: 2:29am On Apr 22, 2013
KidStranglehold: Yaa Asantewaa(Ashanti)

...."[size=18pt]Now I have seen that some of you fear to go forward to fight for our king. If it were in the brave days of, the days of Osei Tutu, Okomfo Anokye, and Opoku Ware, chiefs would not sit down to see thier king taken away without firing a shot. No white man could have dared to speak to chief of the Ashanti in the way the Governor spoke to you chiefs this morning. Is it true that the bravery of the Ashanti is no more? I cannot believe it. It cannot be! I must say this: if you the men of Ashanti will not go forward, then we will. We the women will. I shall call upon my fellow women.

We will fight the white men. We will fight till the last of us falls in the battlefields.[/size]"...

Source:
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/people/pop-up.php?ID=175

WOW!!
Re: Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! by pleep(m): 5:14am On Apr 22, 2013
^^ that is a ride or die chick right there.

Gotta love our black women. They are powerfull sha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOzr1MxR-as

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kim Yo-Jong, Jong-Un's Sister To Lead North Korea If He Dies / foreigners chillout joint. / Where Would South Africa Be Without White People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.