Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,917 members, 7,938,743 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 12:02 PM

Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US (20437 Views)

This Buhari's Tweet On Fuel Scarcity Under Jonathan Has Got Everyone Talking(pic / Why There Is Massive Corruption In NNPC, By Saraki / The Significance Of The Syrian Climbdown Is Massive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by RealBokoHaram: 1:24pm On Apr 22, 2013
The US Government is a thief.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Clerverly: 2:14pm On Apr 22, 2013
Rossikk: Actually, the reason we can employ gatemen is because we can afford to, just like we can afford to hire house helps, drivers etc. The cost of labour is low compared to the west, where only rich fat cats like Obama and Bill Gates can employ security, drivers and butlers. If ordinary westerners could afford private security, they'd all get it at the drop of a hat due to their high crime rate, including burglaries, mugging and murder. So try another excuse for hating Nigeria. This one just failed.

I pity the person that sent you to School angry angry angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Rossikk(m): 2:51pm On Apr 22, 2013
^^You just hate when I make Nigerians seem like the real human beings they are as opposed to the base caricature animals you wish to represent them as. Nasty creep.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by koruji(m): 4:42pm On Apr 22, 2013
You have tunnel vision. What about the gatemen to whom you pay pitiance? Is that also making them real Nigerians?

Rossikk: ^^You just hate when I make Nigerians seem like the real human beings they are as opposed to the base caricature animals you wish to represent them as. Nasty creep.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by taharqa: 6:44pm On Apr 22, 2013
LRNZH:

You do not need to search too far. Lemme manage your ingnorance.

GEJ claimed to know BH sponsors on Sept 02, 2011 in Abuja while launching the new national driver’s license and number plates. Link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/750594/now-know-boko-harams-sponsors

I knew you were ging to link me to this Source.

This was what the Source said the President ACTUALLY said (ie the words in double quotation marks):

"Today’s launch has acquired greatest significance, following last Friday’s unprovoked attack, which led to the loss of lives and has left, in history, gory images for the threat terrorism now poses to the peace and security of our nation and the safety of our citizens. Since the last bombing and the October1, 2010, I had directed the hastening of efforts to build a credible database of drivers and vehicles in order to improve public safety. The importance of this project is reaffirmed by the consistence use of vehicles in the conduct of the recent bombing episodes.
Let me use this occasion to reassure Nigerians and members of the international communities that we now have strong links as to those involved in this terror war on Nigeria and Nigerians. I have directed security operatives to go after them, no matter where they may be hiding..."

Having 'strong links as to those involved in this terror war' IS NOT THE SAME as 'knowing the SPONSORS of BH'!! If you did English in Skul, it should not be difficult to understand the difference bw what he said and what you (and the Newspaper's Title) apparently interpreted it as.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Rossikk(m): 6:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
koruji: You have tunnel vision. What about the gatemen to whom you pay pitiance? Is that also making them real Nigerians?

Unfortunately he's not very educated, which could be for religious reasons. It's hardly the government's fault he can't get a job as a banker. He's got an income, he's well fed, and he's probably happier than many jobless westerners on welfare who sit home and await their free cheques every Friday.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by LRNZH(m): 7:59pm On Apr 22, 2013
taharqa:

I knew you were ging to link me to this Source.

This was what the Source said the President ACTUALLY said (ie the words in double quotation marks):

Having 'strong links as to those involved in this terror war' IS NOT THE SAME as 'knowing the SPONSORS of BH'!! If you did English in Skul, it should not be difficult to understand the difference bw what he said and what you (and the Newspaper's Title) apparently interpreted it as.

Ok. Good for you. No wonder going after BH strong links has become pleading with them for amnesty while they butcher people in excess of 180.

You're slower than your president. And I'm not exaggerating.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by ddippset(m): 10:16pm On Apr 22, 2013
wouldn't these people ever drop their laptops? just for a second? iam sure they run shifts.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by NEROSKY(m): 10:30pm On Apr 22, 2013
They are 200 percent right
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Memphis357(m): 10:33pm On Apr 22, 2013
franchizy: I condemn dis report cos there is no Iota of truth in it. GEJ Administration is the most transparent and the best Nigeria ever had.
GEJ exposed and is prosecuting all involved in the subsidy scam. Also the Pension scam, Farouk Lawal.
It is only in GEJ regime dat any minister caught having intrest in a company must resign. (Minister of Power).
GEJ is the only Nigerian president who ve never stolen a kobo or looted any money. The only president dat has no investment. The only president dat transformed our airports to world class standard. The only president dat gave Nigerians steady Electricity, good roads, water scheme, health and Freedom of information.
Based on the foregoing, I tink the reporters are paid AGENTS. GEJ will rule Nigeria till 2019. Haters shud go and hug the nearest transformer.
THUNDER FIRE YOU!!!!
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by theripper3: 10:37pm On Apr 22, 2013
It has been massive ever since, just that now , we have transparent corruption unlike before when the citizens were gagged and scared to criticize.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Nobody: 10:39pm On Apr 22, 2013
fiends in NIGERIA PDP/GEJ led federal government, they all rogues,they should all be in jail by 2015 including GEJ, Nigerians bbe wise no second chance for this criminals.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by slimfit1(m): 10:45pm On Apr 22, 2013
When ever we start revolution please someone should remind us to start from the judiciary from chief justice of the federation to ordinary judges then executives past and present, lawmakers too then their families . We turn their houses into museums and school let me keep that in mind.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Soliloqyofchaos: 10:46pm On Apr 22, 2013
Not that I am a supporter of Jonathan, but we should realize Americans say these things out of self interest. Why have they all of a sudden gotten interested in Nigeria when evidence of corruption was ample long ago? Is it because of Nigeria's newfound oil? Is it because Nigeria is getting better and they want to interfere? Us Africans are too dependant on others, and the help we seek always ends up damaging us even further. I say let them talk, and heed their words however we make our own decisions.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by magnetik(m): 10:49pm On Apr 22, 2013
I just believe change is inevitable come 2015.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 22, 2013
The State pardon alone spells out inability to fight corruption in that country during is presidency. I still think he should be given another chance to finalize some of his projects or plans.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Nobody: 10:51pm On Apr 22, 2013
Rossikk:

GEJ has done more than the last 6 Nigerian leaders COMBINED. Infrastructure, education, health. ALL have seen improved investment in the last two years. Unless you are based abroad or living under a rock, you would know this. If Africa gets recolonized it will be because of dummies like you who lap up the deceptions of foreigners.
[img]http://i.qkme.me/35mdvc.jpg[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by ekytessy(f): 10:52pm On Apr 22, 2013
I can't read all those things, I read only d caption and I understood wat they meant, pls somebody shuld buy shoe for our president so dat he won't come out again, I guess dats d problem. We need volunteers for d shoe pls.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by mu2sa2: 10:55pm On Apr 22, 2013
taharqa: Reading dis report, my take of what I hv considerd as d WEAKEST LINK in d Fight against Corruptn in Nigeria, has bn reenforced ie THE JUDICIARY... As d article indicatd, Many cases already in courts, important laws like d FOI hv bn passd, important tactics like Removal of Police Roadblocks and d Govt increasingly EXPOSING and OPENING up both Past and Ongoing Scams- yet d Perceptn of Corruptn is still unacceptably high. There is REAL need for COMPLETE Judicial Overhaul (esp its Speed and Efficiency), a process that shld be led by d President and those in oda Arms of Govt who shld be put unda Pressure by those people in d Public who are actuali interestd in 'Fighting' Corruptn for d Sake of d Nation and for themselves instead of using it as a TOOL; a situatn where Cases (whether Corruptn relatd ones Or Not) spend Ages in court shld is Unacceptable and be STOPPED. The Appointment of Special Judges (or Courts) for Corruptn Cases, which has bn demanded by MOST including AntiCorruptn Agencies, shld be done by d CJN Asap..... The President surely ought to do MORE, or rather Led, in what shld be a National DISPASSIONATE Fight against Corruptn and Insecurity
Nigeria is trapped in a vicious cycle. Politicians nominate persons to be appointed judges by the NJC. Since politicians are corrupt they will nominate only people of their ilk to be appointed judges. Once in office, corrupt judges protect corrupt politicians.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Gbenge77(m): 10:56pm On Apr 22, 2013
The creek crook continues to falter,wanton looting continues unbridled.The shibollething Abati and Hippo Okupe continue to defend the indefensible.Dumbo jumbo has made the PDp HIS fiefdom.Between the PDP and ACn,recriminations grow ,and the political spat escalates.Yes,Nigerians are in for a roller coaster.But all hands must be on deck to send Dumbo and his parasitizing accomplices to the creeks in 2015,even as they plot to perpetuate themselves in power.The atrocities of the PDP government are well chronicled,with corruption in gargatuan measure.Dumbo is also cracking down on freedom of speech,clamping dissenting pen pushers into gulags.The rogue PDP government is the most corrupt in Africa,considering the 50 trillion they frittered away between 1999 and 2013.And that shows no signs of abating.All hands must be on deck to rein in rogue dumbo,lest he annihilates Nigeria.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Gbenge77(m): 10:57pm On Apr 22, 2013
The creek crook continues to falter,wanton looting continues unbridled.The shibollething Abati and Hippo Okupe continue to defend the indefensible.Dumbo jumbo has made the PDp HIS fiefdom.Between the PDP and ACn,recriminations grow ,and the political spat escalates.Yes,Nigerians are in for a roller coaster.But all hands must be on deck to send Dumbo and his parasitizing accomplices to the creeks in 2015,even as they plot to perpetuate themselves in power.The atrocities of the PDP government are well chronicled,with corruption in gargatuan measure.Dumbo is also cracking down on freedom of speech,clamping dissenting pen pushers into gulags.The rogue PDP government is the most corrupt in Africa,considering the 50 trillion they frittered away between 1999 and 2013.And that shows no signs of abating.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Nobody: 10:59pm On Apr 22, 2013
Don't say!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Shocked!!! undecided undecided
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Phikom(m): 10:59pm On Apr 22, 2013
Reuben Abati my foot...
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by muskpeas: 11:05pm On Apr 22, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Another BASELESS report from the US. The fact that the west has suddenly become very critical of the federal govt should raise the suspicion of every patriotic Nigerian. The US have been firing from all cylinders of recent. What are they up to? Does the US mean well for Nigeria? Is this all about the PIB and oil multinationals?

Yes, Nigeria has a problem with corruption and it is the RESPONSIBILITY of every Nigerian and the govt to solve this problem. We do not need a saintly sermon from US before we know we need to get to work to solve the problem of corruption. After all the US is not immune from corruption. Who has been preaching to the US on the need to stop immoralities like gay marriages and homosexuality?

Lets take some quotes from the BASELESS report and puncture them.

"Police corruption remained rampant. Reports of checkpoint bribery and shooting incidents decreased in February after newly appointed Inspector General of Police Mohammed Abubakar announced the closure of all police checkpoints across the country; however, illegal checkpoints remained common in some regions. Police routinely stopped drivers who did not commit traffic infractions, refusing to allow them to continue until they paid bribes,”

This is like speaking from both sides of the mouth. The closure of unnecessary police check points across the country was an action taken by the govt to curb corrupt practices among police officers. Unfortunately, that action has to be balanced with the need to also check insecurity. Not all police check points are "illegal" as stated in the report. Even if the target of completly eradicating illegal police check points have not been achieved, PROGRESS has been made. If one takes a trip all the way from Enugu to Rivers in day time, you'll hardly see police check points (except inter-state check points). But if the journey is done in the evening or night, one would see several check points. I dont know whether these check points are legal or illegal but for someone travelling at night, its a kind of reassurance that the road is safe.

Again, if the govt has banned illegal police check points, it is the responsibility of citizens to report any check point that is nuisance.

"the US government listed the escape of the suspected mastermind of the Boko Haram 2011 Christmas Day bombing from custody, noting how the police commissioner, who aided the suspect went unpunished"

Yes, Kabiru Sokoto escaped. But he was later captured. The police officer, whose negligence led to his escape was dismissed. I recall the case was investigated by the Police Service Commission which later announced his dismissal. Can someone who was dismissed be said to have gone "unpunished"? Some of us expected more punishment and prosecution but the Police Service Commission is an institution set up by law and it is safe to assume they took the RIGHT decision according to rules and law governing the police. There's no point playing to gallery.

"former Delta State governor James Ibori in the Southwark Crown Court in London of charges of money laundering and other financialcrimes totaling N12.4bn, after he was acquitted by a Nigerian court"

It was unfortunate that Ibori was acquitted by a Nigeria court but that happened under previous regime. Again, the Judiciary is a SEPARATE arm of govt. Fortunately, the new Chief Justice of the Federation is taking steps to curb the impunity in the Judiciary. Recently, 3 Justices were sacked. About 14 Justices or so are currently being investigated by the National Judicial Council.

"and the N1.067trn fuel subsidy fund lost to “endemic corruption and entrenched inefficiency”

The planned removal of fuel subsidy would have put a final stop to the corruption in the scheme. Unfortunately, the fuel subsidy was only partially removed. Those who abused the system are currently undergoing prosecution.

"In late July, the EFCC began arraigning suspects, first with a group of 20 indictments, including six oil companies and 11 individuals. By year’s end, the EFCC initiated prosecutions of approximately 50 cases related to the subsidy scam. The majority of these cases involved companies and individuals who had fraudulently received subsidy revenue. Investigations and trials had not produced any convictions by year’s end.”

The executive has done its part by bringing the suspected subsidy thieves to court. The rest is for the JUDICIARY.

"It decried frequent abduction of civilians and lack of press freedom, highlighting cases, where journalists were harassed and beaten up"

Which journalist was beaten up this year? It is very uncommon in Nigeria of recent. I can only remember one incident in Lagos. To use this as proof of "MASSIVE CORRUPTION" is ridiculous.

In conclusion, the report is BASELESS. The instances given to support "MASSIVE CORRUPTION" are porous. Yes, we have a problem with corruption but the solution lies with every Nigerian. We dont need "saints" from US to tell us how to solve our problem

another retardinho pawn...when did homosexuality become a basis to compare with nigeria's widespread corruption, which has crippled almost all sectors of human development? the 3 arms of nigerian government are unarguably very corrupt and of course the same corruption tickles down to the masses....u cant have anything done without paying processing fee!

so, sh#t the f>>U#k up!
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by cashflowpc(m): 11:09pm On Apr 22, 2013
fact!
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by ballabriggs: 11:11pm On Apr 22, 2013
[s]
Rossikk: "Yet Nigeria in spite of its wealth blah blah blah". What wealth? Our oil reserves are very tiny for our population and size. We are 170 million people yet we produce only as much oil as tiny Kuwait of two million people. Stop deceiving people that Nigeria has all this great wealth. WE DON'T. I read somewhere that for all our "great wealth", our annual budget is the same as that of Harvard University. The key to Nigeria's future is diversification away from oil, not sitting around counting pennies and telling ourselves we have "great wealth", and blaming politicians for stealing "all our great wealth". Rubbish. To contribute, use your brains and establish industries and businesses that are not dependent on oil largesse. The world is moving away from oil and fossil fuels. Reserves are depleting globally. Use your own initiative and help diversify your economy. The income from oil will NEVER be enough to develop Nigeria even if it was ruled by saints.

As for the HDI, blame the low level on the northern part of the country, whose people have their own issues. Without them, our position on the HDI would be much much higher, as a breakdown on a regional or state basis would indicate. In fact the HDI level of states like Edo, Lagos, Rivers, Delta and Imo is nearly the same as Brazil's! So what are we talking about? If the people of the north played their part by attending school, doing business, etc, we would be much higher on the HDI scale. In fact their region has received more money from federal allocation than the south since oil was discovered. So it's not all about blaming govt. Jonathan cannot force people to make something of their lives.

[/s]

Nonsense and trash. It is not up to Havard University, it is not up to Kuwait bla bla bla. That is why we call it savings and investment. As you save and prioritise your investments, you grow your assets over the years and you earn more.

So quit that nonsense talk. That resources are limited that is the why we talk of prudence and investment in high priority areas. It is not enough, so you steal the little you have?

It is not all about government bla bla bla, what investment has the government made in areas of high priority. Private individuals will invest in those that are key to development but have a very long cycle? You are absolutely deluded if you think so.

So the northern part is not a part of Nigeria, so what is the excuse? Is it also different in the creeks? Where did you get your HDI data for Edo and Lagos from? So you bring out lies to justify your ignorant views?
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by ajibaby2: 11:18pm On Apr 22, 2013
Abati should shut up his stooling mouth. It is high time the youth rose up and fight for their right. All our ogas @ d top are sycophants and bunch of miscreants who make policies that favour only them. We have laws for the masses and for the elites. A pen thief will embezzle, not only get away with it but will also make a name for himself like a movie star while the one who steals commodity or a meagre sum of money will be lynched by the public or granted death penalty by the same awry and corrupt judiciary system who acquits the mighty money peddlers. This is totally unfair. Nigerians are known to have 'shock absorbers'. we have the gene of adapting to all 'ish'. We no go tired to say our prayer 'God dey'. One day monkey go go market he no go com bak again.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by thehomer: 11:43pm On Apr 22, 2013
"Parachute researches" what on earth is wrong with this Abati guy? That phrase alone made me literally laugh out loud.

I notice that he didn't actually offer a point by point rebuttal instead, he did what ignorant or incompetent people do. He just waved his hands about and called people names. What a joker.
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by born7win(m): 11:45pm On Apr 22, 2013
Clerverly:

I pity the person that sent you to School angry angry angry angry angry

If that gateman had the opportunity to leave Nigeria for the US, ask Rossikk if his gateman would still stay?
Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by born7win(m): 11:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
Rossikk:

Unfortunately he's not very educated, which could be for religious reasons. It's hardly the government's fault he can't get a job as a banker. He's got an income, he's well fed, and he's probably happier than many jobless westerners on welfare who sit home and await their free cheques every Friday.

Th vast majority are jobless because they are lazy. What about Nigerians? What is the unemployment rate in your country? Nigeria and the US shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by Rossikk(m): 11:48pm On Apr 22, 2013
ballabriggs: [s][/s]

Nonsense and trash. It is not up to Havard University, it is not up to Kuwait bla bla bla. That is why we call it savings and investment. As you save and prioritise your investments, you grow your assets over the years and you earn more.

What rubbish is this one talking about? Savings from what income? Nigeria's oil income is MINISCULE. Recurrent expenditure already takes up something like 60% of the federal budget. Then capital expenditure which is never enough to satiate the needs of 170 million people. You have to develop assets that will create sufficient income streams that enable you create a credible savings regime for the long term.

So quit that nonsense talk. That resources are limited that is the why we talk of prudence and investment in high priority areas.

How do you sustain those high priority investments without a robust income base? Resources are limited, so you DIVERSIFY you income sources. Income in modern developed nations is not natural resource dependent. ''Prudence'' can only get you so far if you are not diversifying your economy.

It is not enough, so you steal the little you have?

At the very most, maybe a quarter of annual income is lost to corruption. But the income itself is tiny, and would be grossly insufficient even without corruption. The impact of corruption is grossly overstated. What we need is to effect policies that grow our GDP. Eventually poverty will be eliminated even with corruption.

It is not all about government bla bla bla, what investment has the government made in areas of high priority.

Infrastructure, roads, power, are all seeing higher investment than before. Even education.

So the northern part is not a part of Nigeria, so what is the excuse?

Who do YOU blame when many in the north do not wish to better themselves via education? Do you know they are parts of the north where parents used to be paid by their state govts to send their children to school?

Is it also different in the creeks? Where did you get your HDI data for Edo and Lagos from? So you bring out lies to justify your ignorant views?

Ok.. Lagos and Edo have the same HDI level as Sokoto and Borno State. HAPPY? Ignorant, miserable dunce.

1 Like

Re: Corruption Is Massive Under Jonathan – US by PECO4KING(m): 11:49pm On Apr 22, 2013
Na who be Boko Haram? Is it the government or the Islamist. The government who has the power over all and refuse to use the power to stop the killings. I swear na Nigeria government dey kill us no be Boko Haram. Dem dey kill us financially, mentally and physically. Wise up Nigeria and let fear not but only God our creature, it time we fight for our rights.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari's CSO Counters ADC's Order On DSS Officials / Shettima Visits Scene Of Suicide Attack In Maiduguri (Photos) / Okorocha Sponsors A Blind Man's Surgery & He Regains His Sight (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.