Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,758 members, 7,875,902 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:16 AM

We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie - Politics (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie (42206 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Postponed Elections: Chimamanda Adichie Is Angry! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 3:31am On Jul 24, 2013
toshmann: the inimitable gani fawehimmi was a humanist. he believed in human rights and equal rights . . . .
julius nyerere
Socrates

i've given you three names cool

gani fawehinmi is not a "humaist" (or whatever u call it) he is more of an anti-millitary activist. aka specifically opposed to millitary rule (mostly journalists, authors, media persoalities like musicians etc tend to be the most outspoken about millitary rule because of the censorship involved for them. funny thing is that under a "democracy," censorship can and does still exist for minority or underrepresented groups but these anti-military activist folks don't really care all that much. it is only under dictatorship or millitary rule that a man like gani fawehinmi probably feel what it is like to be persecuted and censored hence why they are actively against dictatorship.. ex the term "all men are created equal" sounds very democratic. in fact it is known as a "human rights" declaration. yet women (and african americans who were seen as sub-human (3/5 human according to US constitution) were excluded from this equality. how much more so under repressive governments?)

My deduction from this is that u are just interested in mainstream politics but calling it "humanist activism"?

Ken Saro wiwa is an an example of a specific political activist for human and environmental rights (ie polluted ogoni land). So, what do you have against his specific focus of activism?
do u equate anti-millitary activism with "humanism"? is that ur definition of "humanism" or what? because as far as I see, it is pretty specific and focused. ex. fawehimi he was against abacha or whoever was ruling nigeria and his main aim is for immediate chage in government due to its repressive and oppressive nature.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 11:17am On Jul 24, 2013
it is the height of ignorance to think gani was just anti abacha..

i really dont know why tosh is still discussing with you, a closet racist///
terming struggle against segregation/apartheid jobless
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 24, 2013
99cent:

gani fawehinmi is not a "humaist" (or whatever u call it) he is more of an anti-millitary activist. aka specifically opposed to millitary rule (mostly journalists, authors, media persoalities like musicians etc tend to be the most outspoken about millitary rule because of the censorship involved for them.

is anyone still under the impression that this girl has an idea what she is talking about? grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 5:56pm On Jul 24, 2013
biolabee: it is the height of ignorance to think gani was just anti abacha..

i really dont know why tosh is still discussing with you, a closet racist///
terming struggle against segregation/apartheid jobless

Just trying to give the sister an opportunity to see reason. Just having hope against hope
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 5:57pm On Jul 24, 2013
davidylan:

is anyone still under the impression that this girl has an idea what she is talking about? grin
Obviously she doesn't know Gani grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 5:58pm On Jul 24, 2013
toshmann:

Just trying to give the sister an opportunity to see reason. Just having hope against hope

Boss ur hope is definitely misplaced

1 Like

Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 6:07pm On Jul 24, 2013
@99cent
One big difference between Saro Wiwa and 21st Century American based feminists is that Ken Saro Wiwa was fighting against an obvious wrong being done to the people in his geographical location.

You. . . . . . . . . . . . . apart from abortions ( code named women's health grin ). . .i don't know what y'all feminists are fighting for.

Domestic Violence is against the law

R4PE is against the law

Women have equal rights and are treated equal before the law.

In America, women are so free that they can slap their husbands at a moments notice and NOTHING will happen.

They are also free to remove their clothes and have intercourse on camera and post it in the Internet grin[size=5pt] I love this very freedom[/size]

this is 2013, there's a lot that women can do by law, I'll encourage them to start doing them and stop fighting for the right to use the rights they already have a right to use.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 6:08pm On Jul 24, 2013
biolabee:

Boss ur hope is definitely misplaced
grin
In my culture we are trained NEVER to give up on a sister or brother cheesy
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 6:26pm On Jul 24, 2013
toshmann: this is 2013, there's a lot that women can do by law, I'll encourage them to start doing them and stop fighting for the right to use the rights they already have a right to use.

Succinct
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:21am On Jul 26, 2013
cool cool cool

did you know that there are prisoners' rights activists?
ex. besides the horrible condition that they already face(d) prisoners used to be used as science guinea pigs.they will be infected with all kinds of deadly diseases to test new drugs for the general public etc. do prisoners deserve rights? how much rights?
http://www.aclu.org/prisoners-rights

of course most prisoners rights activists will naturally tend to be people who care about the issues maybe because they were former prisoners or have family members who were/are prisoners. although there will be those who join the cause simply because they learned about what goes on in the system and want to do something to help out.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:19am On Jul 26, 2013
Spot the difference: 1913 anti-feminists vs 2013 anti-feminists

list of arguments that anti-feminists used to justify why women shouldn't have a right to vote in 1913.

- women were not interested in politics and are unfit for political life...women were absorbed with trivial, domestic matters (hmm this sounds very familiar)

-a woman's place was in the home while the public spheres of work, the military and the government were the proper domain of men.

- The power of the clergy would be increased because of their reputed influence over women.

-Most women did not really want the vote themselves and that only a minority of bitter, unattractive, frustrated women bothered about it (does this sound familiar?)

-Women were too emotional and unstable because of their biology. They were in many ways inferior to men. (the ever present "biological" arguments. imagine people evoking science for why women shouldn't have a right to vote.. sounds familiar)

-the interests of women were safe in the hands of men and that women could influence men indirectly by persuasion and charm ( familiar patronizing statements? )

- It was held that interference with male authority would undermine the natural order of things. It would undermine the family, the bedrock of society (familiar?)

-It was said that women did not risk their lives in war and might vote against war

-Colonial peoples would not respect an imperial Britain which gave votes to women. (more like "colonial people will also start asking for rights and rebel against imperialism." grin )

-Proposals to give the vote to women were often considered comical. Women, and especially men, who made them were held up to ridicule (male feminists were ridiculed too ).

[img]http://www.scoilnet.ie/womeninhistory/content/unit5/unkissed.jpg[/img]
"Suffragettes - who have never been kissed"
Postcard. John Hassall, 1912

^ the pictures cameroon has been posting to mock feminists is so similar it's scary grin

http://www.scoilnet.ie/womeninhistory/content/unit5/activities.html

VERDICT:
There is no difference. grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 2:43am On Jul 26, 2013

feminism is working. but there is still more to be done. we are not there yet!

Obama (a black candidate) shows up on the ballot and lo and behold, more black people rushed to the polls!! First time in history that blacks beat whites to the polls on a presidential election.

granted, majority of those blacks were women cool although we were torn between hillary and obama most of us chose obama. Hillary for 2016 though cool cool
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 2:21pm On Jul 27, 2013
99cents. I hear you chicks are trying to re-write weddings grin

keeked: ~No veils, no engagement ring - and don't DARE try to give me away
~Brides are increasingly shunning traditions surrounding weddings
~Choosing not to have engagement rings or wear white on the day
~Almost a quarter plan to keep their maiden name after marriage
~19% agree aspects of traditional weddings are 'anti-feminist'
~But 76% still want to be walked down the aisle by their father

The image of a veiled bride walking down the aisle on her father's arm could become a thing of the past as a growing trend for 'feminist weddings' has been detected among modern brides to be.

Doing away with the engagement ring, choosing not to be 'given away like property' and wearing a colour other than white are key themes gaining traction in the feminist wedding trend.

The findings, revealed in a survey of 200 brides to be, revealed that almost a quarter of women planned on keeping their maiden name after marriage, while one in 10 were planning to wear a colour other than white on their wedding day.

Traditions such as the wearing of an engagement ring are also increasingly being rejected by brides who feel it is anti-feminist - with such an obvious token to be worn on the finger marking the woman in question as 'taken'.

The tradition of wearing a veil is being similarly rejected, as some women believe it plays into the idea that a woman is 'revealed' to her husband as the virgin bride (though actually the use of a veil is steeped in history and has very different significance across multiple cultures).

However, while there is undoubtedly a stirring among young brides to be, parents can take comfort in the fact that while some women are beginning to push back against the patriarchy, the majority are still keen to uphold certain traditions, with 76 per cent of brides saying they really would like their father to walk them down the aisle.

SOURCE

D'you mind weighing in on this? cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/1373468/rise-feminist-wedding
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 1:47am On Jul 28, 2013
^
dog, I think it's cool. I don't want a big, dramatic wedding either. Didn't realize it was a "feminist" way to think. I guess great minds think alike cool

dunno what the whole point is with a big white gown and over the top wedding because apparently wedding day is supposed to be the best day in a woman's life. I find that idea to be very sad because it pressures women to feel that they have to make their wedding over the top.
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 10:09pm On Jul 28, 2013
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by biolabee(m): 12:22pm On Jul 29, 2013
hahahahaa

allow them bros.. you dey vex o

If the male feminists poke the female feminists and there is a pregnancy
They can abort

See why they are fighting for abortion above 20 weeks (5 months)

In that time they will have sickened the male stalker so they will now have to resort to sudden abortion

weirdos
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2013
lol grin grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by adexsimply(m): 4:12pm On Jul 29, 2013
PStylish:

Shut up!

I hate male feminists from the bottom of my heart!

You guys are hypocrites and are only after what is between the legs of these unsuspecting women. You are trying to find your way into the hearts of women just to bed them.

I'll advise women to take your kind with a pinch of salt.

I have no problem with the female feminists though. Afterall, they are fighting for their own interests.

Male feminist my assssssss!!!
cool cool grin grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 5:42am On Jul 30, 2013
toshmann: for you my dearest 99cents grin

didn't watch it and won't be watching it. All I needed to see was the title.
but please, why do anti-feminists always feel the need to put up the face of a female anti-feminist in their argument? Clearly u admit that the idea of a male anti-feminist is just plain wrong. hence d need for validation from a female.

Justice Scalia blames his racist remarks on his black friend. It must be true because my black friend, Uncle Thomas (pun totally unintended grin), says so. http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/scalia-blames-his-increasingly-racist-remarks-on-his-black-friend/
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by 99cent: 5:46am On Jul 30, 2013
adexsimply: cool cool grin grin

adexsimply: not all men.. I am a feminist and I've got a COUPLE of male acquaintances that believe in "what a man can do, a woman can do better".. as for the topic not having much followers, HOW MANY NAIRALANDERS UNDERSTAND WHAT THE TOPIC MEANS?

wink wink cool cool cheesy grin
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 30, 2013
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by toshmann(m): 1:41pm On Jul 30, 2013
99cent:

didn't watch it and won't be watching it. All I needed to see was the title.
but please, why do anti-feminists always feel the need to put up the face of a female anti-feminist in their argument? Clearly u admit that the idea of a male anti-feminist is just plain wrong. hence d need for validation from a female.

Justice Scalia blames his racist remarks on his black friend. It must be true because my black friend, Uncle Thomas (pun totally unintended grin), says so. http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/scalia-blames-his-increasingly-racist-remarks-on-his-black-friend/
I know you love racist whites but I'm not going to read your link on Scalia or his black friend tongue
Re: We Should All Be Feminists- Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 2:36am On Sep 06, 2013
I can see you want to DIE!!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (Reply)

Kayode Fayemi Bows To Greet Tinubu In Aso Rock (Photo) / Igboho: Arewa Youths Give Yorubas 72 Hours To Leave North / BREAKING: Olorogun Felix Ibru Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.