Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,126 members, 7,887,256 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 04:53 AM

What Might Have Cause This Fire - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Might Have Cause This Fire (1158 Views)

See What Droppng Your Car At Some Carwash Can Cause You - Photos / Would Engine Oil Shortage Cause This / 8.1MPG In City Compare To Expected 17MPG, Please What Could Cause This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Might Have Cause This Fire by aluta2: 4:23am On Apr 26, 2013
I have beenn following car talk for a while now, due to detail explanation and enlightment from member of the forum I have falling inn love with two vehicle Audi and Peugeot.
But what happen yesterday is making me have a rethink on audi. This incident happen yeesterday 25-05-2013 along abuja lokoja experessway.

Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by Nobody: 5:40am On Apr 26, 2013
I wouldn't necessarily blame this on Audi until I can figure out what happened.

To me it looks like an oil fire. Maybe an oil hose let go.
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by Adufaye(m): 7:20am On Apr 26, 2013
Mayb na frm him villageundecided
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by aluta2: 7:51am On Apr 26, 2013
Me I think maybe its de gasket, because I saw the radiator cut off from de engine. One other tin dat surprise me was de engine, it was still working
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 26, 2013
aluta2: Me I think maybe its de gasket, because I saw the radiator cut off from de engine. One other tin dat surprise me was de engine, it was still working

How will a gasket cause an engine fire? Radiator "cut off from the engine". Could you explain?

I'd say it's more likely a turbo oil feed pipe ruptured, spraying pressurised oil onto a red-hot exhaust manifold.
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by Originalsly: 12:45pm On Apr 26, 2013
Hmmm...I'm not a mechanic...but I'm thinking if the radiator is cut off/disconnected can it be as a result of overheating?...but then again would the engine still be running? Whatever the cause I believe roadside mechanic had a hand in it.
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by Nobody: 12:58pm On Apr 26, 2013
Originalsly: Hmmm...I'm not a mechanic...but I'm thinking if the radiator is cut off/disconnected can it be as a result of overheating?

If there was no radiator or coolant, then the engine would certainly overheat, but not to the point it would ignite. The engine itself would lose compression, due to a cracked head, block or blown headgasket, which would cause the engine to die. Or it would seize solid.

I'm yet to understand what the OP means, when he said
"I saw the radiator cut off from de engine". How did he spot this, and what exactly does he mean?
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by sultaan(m): 12:14am On Apr 27, 2013
Bad brake system causing the pads to to lock up the rotors, he kept driving on highway till brake system caught fire which is why everything is isolated to the wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ZrE_IzIsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7xiXD4GD7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-wP2cwJu7I
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by lonelydora: 2:15am On Apr 28, 2013
Maybe, the positive terminal of his battery was touching the iron bonnet(which i believe the underneath pad has been removed). This is the major cause of fire on Nigerian roads.
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by Nobody: 8:27am On Apr 28, 2013
lonelydora: Maybe, the positive terminal of his battery was touching the iron bonnet(which i believe the underneath pad has been removed). This is the major cause of fire on Nigerian roads.

Not possible with the Audi TT.

The battery is set way down in the engine bay, and can't touch the underside of the hood. Besides, the positive terminal incorporates a massive central distribution panel, so the terminals are never exposed.
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by Nobody: 11:20am On Apr 28, 2013
^^ so what coulda caused it?
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by Nobody: 12:18pm On Apr 28, 2013
mxxpunkxx!:
^ ^ so what coulda caused it?

Take your pick from any of the above suggestions.
Re: What Might Have Cause This Fire by unforgiven: 10:06am On Apr 30, 2013
more pictures, even after the fire, can assist us deduce the cause.

(1) (Reply)

Overloading At Its Best (pics) / Car Prices To Rise By 250% / Toyota Highlanders Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.