Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,183 members, 7,910,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 10:15 PM

Tears, Eulogies As Ekiti Deputy Gov Lies-in-state - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tears, Eulogies As Ekiti Deputy Gov Lies-in-state (899 Views)

Kayode Oso Resigns As Ekiti Commissioner / Eulogies As Military Bury Benjamin Adekunle / Ekiti Deputy-Governor Funmilayo Olayinka Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tears, Eulogies As Ekiti Deputy Gov Lies-in-state by Nobody: 10:59am On Apr 26, 2013
Tears again flowed freely and eulogies showered on the late Ekiti State Deputy Governor, Mrs. Olufunmilayo Olayinka, during her lying-in-state held in Ado-Ekiti yesterday.

Earlier in the morning, members of the Ekiti State Executive Council had held a special session in honour of Mrs Olayinka who until her death was the vice chairman of the council.

The Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, who chaired the council betrayed emotion and fought hard to hold back tears as he delivered his speech. At a time, the governor and the Chief of Staff, Mr. Yemi Adaramodu, had to end their speeches abruptly when they were overwhelmed by emotion.

The Deputy Governor of Ogun State, Chief Segun Adesegun, who represented Governor Ibikunle Amosun and Secretary to the Osun State Government also represented Governor Rauf Aregbesola attended the lying-in-state.

During yesterday’s executive sitting, members of the council, consisting mainly of commissioners and special advisers wore a black band on their arms as a sign of grief and they later spoke in turns, commending the virtues of the late deputy governor.

In separate speeches delivered at the special session and lying-in-state organised for her at Oluyemi Kayode Stadium, the Governor described Mrs Olayinka as a reliable partner in the struggle for the emancipation of Ekiti people from the claws of poverty.

The main bowl of the stadium was filled to the brim, with people from all walks of life in attendance. Paying tributes to the deceased, the wife of Ekiti State governor, Erelu Bisi Fayemi, said: “I solemnly pledge before you today that henceforth your children would be mine, your husband, my brother and your parents, my parents till the end.”

She said the death of Olayinka had further imbued her with the determination to intensify awareness campaign among the people of the state on cancer and ways to reduce the scourge among the populace.

Those who graced the executive special session include: Erelu Bisi Fayemi, the Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Adewale Omirin, Chief Judge of Ekiti State, Justice Ayodeji Daramola, Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Ganiyu Owolabi, Head of Service, Mr. Bunmi Famosaya, Senator Babafemi Ojudu and Bimbo Daramola.

Others are: The Catholic Bishop of Ekiti, Bishop Felix Ajakaye; Chief Imam and President, League of Imams and Alfas in Ekiti, Alhaji Jamiu Kewulere; members of Christians Association of Nigeria (CAN), traditional rulers, party chieftains including ACN Chairman in the state, Chief Jide Awe.

The widower, Lanre Olayinka and children of the deceased, Ololade, Yeside and Olamide were also in attendance.

Fayemi in his brief comment described the late deputy governor as a dependable ally and a change agent, who served the state with courage, integrity and compassion.

He said: “I know it will be crossing the minds of my brother Arch Olayinka and the children that Mrs Olayinka would still have been alive if she had not come to serve in Ekiti. It used to cross my mind as well, but God knows better.”

Daughter of the deceased, Olamide, in a tribute on behalf of her siblings described their mother as God-fearing, brilliant in many ways and amazingly intelligent. “She knew that even if cancer won, God would be there to take her to heaven. She would ask me to recite Philippians Chapter Four Verse Three, which says ‘I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me’.

“She was an epitome of beauty, her sense of style was exceptional. Though fun loving, she was a disciplinarian. “You know you are in trouble if she called you by your first name,” Olamide said.

Source: http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/tears-eulogies-as-ekiti-deputy-gov-lies-in-state/

Re: Tears, Eulogies As Ekiti Deputy Gov Lies-in-state by VirginFinder: 1:39pm On Apr 26, 2013
RIP

(1) (Reply)

To Accuse Amaechi Of Insubordination Is Rubbish; GEJ Isn't His Boss - David-west / Atiku: My Dad Jailed For Not Allowing My Education / 2015- APC Targets Kwakwanso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.