Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,224 members, 7,880,846 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:04 AM

Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria (42597 Views)

China Builds First 600-feet High, Glass-bottomed Bridge In The World (photos) / Former Lagos Governor Fashola In Mecca (Photo) / N29billion Lagos Suspension Bridge Is A Huge Fraud!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by TonySpike: 7:34am On Apr 30, 2013
For those arguing about the bridge's structural design, please visit this particular page on this thread as naptu as pointed out. Engineers on Nairaland have examined and discussed this at length.

https://www.nairaland.com/829205/fashola-inspects-ikoyi-bridge-now/7

The bridge is actually only suspended at somewhere along the center span.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by toshacer: 7:36am On Apr 30, 2013
Tony Spike: For those arguing about the bridge's structural design, please visit this particular page on this thread as naptu as pointed out. Engineers on Nairaland have examined and discussed this at length.

https://www.nairaland.com/829205/fashola-inspects-ikoyi-bridge-now/7

The bridge is actually only suspended at somewhere along the center span.

I thought as much.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 7:44am On Apr 30, 2013
The reason why people always ask the "suspension question" is because most of the pictures are taken from either Olateju Crescent or Alexander Avenue (at an angle). If you've got a zoom lens and you take a picture from the expressway (head-on), you'll see that the part of the bridge that spans the creek would collapse without the cables.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by SIRBANYE(m): 7:44am On Apr 30, 2013
IGBO-SON:
Can any civil engineers in the house tell us the benefits of using the suspension model as against building a plain old bridge (like third mainland and others); and i thought suspension bridges are meant to have two of those suspension towers undecided......don't know the technical implications, but it just looks more balanced and pleasing to the eye.
That's a semi suspension bridge not a full suspension bridge. Professional speaking we don't need suspension bridges in nigeria, suspension bridges are built in area of natural disasters like earth quake or tremors. They are specifically meant to withstand vibrations and upturn forces in the cases of a natural disaster. What you are seeing here is a normal bridge with a suspension bridge to one side just for beautification. Most suspension bridged are designed with stell cable carrying the weight of the bridge from one end to the other. My 20kobo
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Kairoseki77: 7:45am On Apr 30, 2013
A suspension bridge doesn't have to have two towers. Here is a single tower suspension bridge in California.
[img]http://www.mtc.ca.gov/images/wdview.jpg[/img]
[img]http://coe.berkeley.edu/static/innovations-slideshow/baybridge/images/10.jpg[/img]

Does it take a picture of an oyibo man pointing at the California bridge for you to believe it's possible?

You are going to kill yourself with all that hate.

3 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 7:49am On Apr 30, 2013
Regarding the "traffic jam question": roundabouts have been built at both ends of the bridge and people in Lekki Phase One who wish to go straight can use Fola Osibo as an alternative, rather than using Admiralty way.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by OgbuefiNegro: 7:58am On Apr 30, 2013
is it suspension bridge or not?
why doesnt govt provide pipe borne water first?
why is it tolled?
why is it not built in mainland?
why hasnt jonathan completed second niger bridge?

guys, trust me all these questions have answers. the lagos state government has published a customer awareness handout. it is an FAQ prepared specifically with Nairalanders in mind. to obtain one simply drive to the bridge toll gate and demand to have a awareness handout. by default you will not be given one, you must opt in and demand a copy in order to get one. sorry guys in diaspora the handbook is not available online.

eko o ni baje o !! fashola dey shine, baboons dey envy! cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by esere826: 8:26am On Apr 30, 2013
Michaeljones36: A suspension bridge doesn't have to have two towers. Here is a single tower suspension bridge in California.
[img]http://www.mtc.ca.gov/images/wdview.jpg[/img]
[img]http://coe.berkeley.edu/static/innovations-slideshow/baybridge/images/10.jpg[/img]

Does it take a picture of an oyibo man pointing at the California bridge for you to believe its possible?

You are going to kill yourself with all that hate.

Forget about the oyibo thing
There are capable scientist even on this forum

What we are 'seeing' is a nice bridge
but it makes mockery of the concept of suspension bridges
which is the trophy that some folks are raising up high
(I even believed it was a typical suspension bridge untill I saw these pictures)

What i see in the OP pixs tells me that just with a pair of piers we could do without the suspensions
(I agree that the bridge is beautiful, and should be treated as such. It however lacks anything innovative or challenging from a science stand point. So no need screaming about it being the 1st suspension bridge in West Africa or something)

When competent engineers and scientists are talking, then please keep quiet and stop showing us silly pix's and belittleing people that look just like you.

I even wonder how those big boats/yatchs wan pass under
No plans for tourism incorporated into the waterways?
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by nuclearboy(m): 8:34am On Apr 30, 2013
whether suspension or whether it sits on your head, whether first or last! What matters is that the bridge performs its function of alleviating traffic problems.

Also, in the interest of good sense, tolls will be collected, thus enabling government NOT ONLY recoup investment, but als have funds to do more of such!

This is what we want, not politicking OR showing that you can deploy federal might against people who dont support your self-perpetuation desires!

Without asking, people are already wanting Fashola to run for resident etc, not because he is a politician but because he is making the type of changes and progress people want - a challenge if ever there was one, to those who prefer to bask in power without doing any work

4 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by esere826: 8:35am On Apr 30, 2013
nuclearboy: whether suspension or whether it sits on your head, whether first or last! What matters is that the bridge performs its function of alleviating traffic problems.

Also, in the interest of good sense, tolls will be collected, thus enabling government NOT ONLY recoup investment, but als have funds to do more of such!

This is what we want, not politicking OR showing that you can deploy federal might against people who dont support your self-perpetuation desires!

Without asking, people are already wanting Fashola to run for resident etc, not because he is a politician but because he is making the type of changes and progress people want - a challenge if ever there was one, to those who prefer to bask in power without doing any work

ehn ehn
now we're talking
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 8:41am On Apr 30, 2013
esere826:

Forget about the oyibo thing
There are capable scientist even on this forum

What we are 'seeing' is a nice bridge
but it makes mockery of the concept of suspension bridges
which is the trophy that some folks are raising up high
(I even believed it was a typical suspension bridge untill I saw these pictures)

What i see in the OP pixs tells me that just with a pair of piers we could do without the suspensions
(I agree that the bridge is beautiful, and should be treated as such. It however lacks anything innovative or challenging from a science stand point. So no need screaming about it being the 1st suspension bridge in West Africa or something)

When competent engineers and scientists are talking, then please keep quiet and stop showing us silly pix's and belittleing people that look just like you.

I even wonder how those big boats/yatchs wan pass under
No plans for tourism incorporated into the waterways?

About the boat thing

1) Like I said, I've seen Otedola's yacht, Prest Lunch Cruise and SeaCat sail under this bridge (with my own eyes). These are the largest boats in Lagos.

2) It's not just about the height of this bridge. Before you get to this section of Five Cowry Creek, you must sail under Onikan and Five Cowry (Falomo) bridges. Even if you are coming from the other direction (Lagos Lagoon), you must sail under Eko, Carter and Third Mainland Bridges. Any boat that can sail under these bridges can sail under the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge.

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 8:44am On Apr 30, 2013
Oh, and Olateju Crescent is the tourist/leisure hub of the Lagos waterways (I'll fish out my post from the other thread).
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 8:49am On Apr 30, 2013
naptu2: This is what you have on Olateju Crescent. Large houses guarded by soldiers, naval ratings or private security guards. Across the road from the houses (on the shoreline) you have places where you can rent jet skis, speed boats and even large boats for meetings and conferences (Prest, SeaCat, etc). There are event centres where you can have your wedding reception and kid's birthday parties. There are creekside bars where you can have a barbecue, drink beer and watch champions league matches. And in the evenings you can see the latest ferraris, masseratis and porsches.

Not a good place to build a bridge. Besides, the current location of the bridge-head takes it directly to Admiralty Road.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by tomzman: 8:55am On Apr 30, 2013
This is a good one.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by byteem: 8:56am On Apr 30, 2013
SUSPENDED MY FOOT.. 29 BILLION... .. FOR THAT OLD FASHIONED BRIDGE THAT IS LESS THAN 500 METERS... WHO IS FOOLING WHO HERE .. BLOODHY CRIMINALS.... DOES THIS GUY THINK WE ARE SO DAFT..SO NOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO GIVE A STANDING OVATION TO THESE CRIMINALS THAT HAVE TURNED LAGOS TO A BUSINESS EMPIRE... HISTORY WILL JUDGE.. ..

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by revolt(m): 9:02am On Apr 30, 2013
c.fours:

maybe for maintenance?
maybe to cover the cost ( in case loan was used for part of cost) etc
I don't know.
so how den do u explain the high tax we pay if we also pay for the provided amenities!! Na wa s
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by esere826: 9:10am On Apr 30, 2013
naptu2:

About the boat thing

1) Like I said, I've seen Otedola's yacht, Prest Lunch Cruise and SeaCat sail under this bridge (with my own eyes). These are the largest boats in Lagos.

2) It's not just about the height of this bridge. Before you get to this section of Five Cowry Creek, you must sail under Onikan and Five Cowry (Falomo) bridges. Even if you are coming from the other direction (Lagos Lagoon), you must sail under Eko, Carter and Third Mainland Bridges. Any boat that can sail under these bridges can sail under the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge.

Great
If you've seen those boats meander past the bridge in low tides and high tides
then the commitee of NL engineers (with all objectivity) hereby declare the bridge a suspension bridge at some parts
for indeed having some utility

Apparently, the available pix's are quite deceptful
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 9:15am On Apr 30, 2013
Now, to the issue of the toll (there's another thread about that). It would have been very difficult to build that bridge without toll gates. I was initially against the toll (you can see that from my comments on the other thread) until I spoke to Lekki/Ikoyi residents.

This bridge is a premium access way. Residents of Lekki and Ikoyi do not want heavy traffic flowing through their neighbourhood. The initial plan was for the bridge to land on Banana Island and connect to the Third Mainland Bridge via Osborne Road. Residents of Banana Island kicked against this. The alternative is what we have now.

Most people will use the Lekki Expressway. Those who don't want to pay tolls will use the (free) Oniru-New Market Road. People who want to travel faster and are willing to pay more for it will use the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge. This will reduce traffic on the expressway.

Commercial buses are also not allowed to use the bridge.

4 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 9:21am On Apr 30, 2013
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by esere826: 9:22am On Apr 30, 2013
naptu2: Now, to the issue of the toll (there's another thread about that). It would have been very difficult to build that bridge without toll gates. I was initially against the toll (you can see that from my comments on the other thread) until I spoke to Lekki/Ikoyi residents.

This bridge is a premium access way. Residents of Lekki and Ikoyi do not want heavy traffic flowing through their neighbourhood. The initial plan was for the bridge to land on Banana Island and connect to the Third Mainland Bridge via Osborne Road. Residents of Banana Island kicked against this. The alternative is what we have now.

Most people will use the Lekki Expressway. Those who don't want to pay tolls will use the (free) Oniru-New Market Road. People who want to travel faster and are willing to pay more for it will use the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge. This will reduce traffic on the expressway.

Commercial buses are also not allowed to use the bridge.

If the bridge is a private property, then tolling is great and folks shld pay big time
If its a government road, then before tolling, all documents (including detailed financials) relating to the project should be made available to the public for scrutiny
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by naptu2: 9:27am On Apr 30, 2013
esere826:

If the bridge is a private property, then tolling is great and folks shld pay big time
If its a government road, then before tolling, all documents (including detailed financials) relating to the project should be made available to the public for scrutiny

I'm sure Eko-Ile will provide you the web address where you can get that info (he provided it on one of the other threads). Negro-Ntns has also given more info that I will investigate tomorrow (I.e the customer awareness handout).

Got to run.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by kemisuga(f): 9:32am On Apr 30, 2013
Nice one Gov. Fashola.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Exponental(m): 9:40am On Apr 30, 2013
Wooooooow! I'm coming down to lagos to av a view. One thing about ACN is projects that will be remembered for a long tym.

3 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 30, 2013
IGBO-SON:
Nice one! Though i think your thread title could do with a little tweaking, as Fashola didn't build anything (he'd have to be Superman to perform such a feat)......he signed the contract papers for Julius Berger to build it using Lagos tax payers money.

IRRELEVANT!

3 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by kpolli(m): 9:46am On Apr 30, 2013
So the only free way between Lekki and Ikoyi is thru another person's land.... Only reason why toll is not collected down that root is because it belong's to someone..... SMH
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by ebosed: 9:49am On Apr 30, 2013
FASHOLA AND TINUBU ARE GOOD MEN NO DOUBT. BUT CAN I ASK SOME QUESTIONS?

1. WHY WAS THE BRIDGE BUILT BEHIND ORIENTAL HOTEL?

2. WHY WAS THE BRIDGE BUILT TO LINK TINUBU HOUSE ON BURDILONE ROAD? (NOTE NOT ALEXANDER ROAD)

3. WAS THIS PROJECT MORE IMPORTANT TO THE MASSES THAN THE 4TH MAINLAND BRIDE?

4. WAS IS NOT OUR TAX PAYER MONEY THAT WAS USED TO BUILD THIS BRIDGE? 17BILLIONS IGR AND WE STILL PAY TO PLY THE ROAD?

EKO ONI BAJE OOOO.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by twilliamx(m): 9:51am On Apr 30, 2013
redsun:

You are talking to an animal that live in a an environment that doesn't really understand the concept of kpako bridge.But because they try to imitate dubia and all the artificial cities that tries to run before they crawl,they think a suspension bridges is what a city that lacks basic pipe borne water needs.A city that can't supply the majority of her inhabitants with safe drinkable water and chatted sewage network. The basics.

Ekoile is monkey that wears monkey jacket.

Na only market women and okada them chase, u na dey complain, do u knw how many residents will have to move out for lagos to have a proper sewage and drainage channel, u want to blame a man that has done more under 8years for lagos than what others have done since 1960 and besides, everyone knows that lagos water works is the best in the country, each water station is self sustaining cos they generate their own power..am so sure you are igbo and u are not used to development. Go challenge your governors in the east.. Fasho we got ur back..keep on keeping on

2 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by redsun(m): 9:56am On Apr 30, 2013
twilliamx:

Na only market women and okada them chase, u na dey complain, do u knw how many residents will have to move out for lagos to have a proper sewage and drainage channel, u want to blame a man that has done more under 8years for lagos than what others have done since 1960 and besides, everyone knows that lagos water works is the best in the country, each water station is self sustaining cos they generate their own power..am so sure you are igbo and u are not used to development. Go challenge your governors in the east.. Fasho we got ur back..keep on keeping on

Sometimes i think the impression of development to people like you is more like putting an untamed pig in a gold adorned tub and expecting not not be a pig.You guys have a long way to go man before you can understand what city building and development is all about.
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by largeman4u(m): 9:59am On Apr 30, 2013
Governor fashola is definately the best Governor in Nigeria even among the best in africa, no wonder the international community are honouring him leaving our .............

we need people like him to take the topmost position in the country, i think he will make a good president if given a free hand without political interference and lobbying.

1 Like

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 30, 2013
baynix: I Wonder How PD-Pigs Go Take Win Lagos By 2015 oo!!

I Just Pray Make The Next Gidi Governor Get Mental Agility And Vision Like Fasho!!

Eko O Ni Baje Ooo!!
E GO SURPRISE U
FELLOW PIGS WILL VOTE THEM IN
Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by twilliamx(m): 10:12am On Apr 30, 2013
redsun:

Sometimes i think the impression of development to people like you is more like putting an untamed pig in a gold adorned tub and expecting not not be a pig.You guys have a long way to go man before you can understand what city building and development is all about.

Well I think you are the pig, because you should know development like every other thing in life starts with a step in the right direction and as far as am concerned fashola has had multiple steps in right direction. Well from what I deduced from you, u are probably not a happy person generally and calling u a pig is an embarrassment to the pig..

3 Likes

Re: Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria by pekelepekele(m): 10:15am On Apr 30, 2013
Now this will be the first thing . Fashola had done that really impressed me . Applause sir!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ganduje's Ex-Aide, Dawisu 'Relocates' From Nigeria (Photos) / Pictures Of Tinubu And His Diaspora Campaign Team In The UK / Video: Insurgents Flee In Multitude As Military Bombards Sambisa Stronhhold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.