Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,893 members, 7,876,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:21 PM

Ksa, Central Bank Governor And The "spraying Culture" In Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ksa, Central Bank Governor And The "spraying Culture" In Nigeria. (761 Views)

Lai Mohammed Meets With Tiwa Savage, DonJazzy, MI, KSA And Others / BREAKING NEWS: Central Bank Governor Reverts Cashless Policy / Ghana's Central Bank Governor - ''We're Desperate For Nigerian Gas'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ksa, Central Bank Governor And The "spraying Culture" In Nigeria. by HorusRa(m): 3:36am On Apr 15, 2008
In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of.
                                       -Confucius

The above is a statement of fact as was uttered by one of the wisest men of the Far East. 

I read recently in a daily about a statement ascribed to the musician “KSA” which he told the Central Bank governor that he cannot stop “spraying” Now for those who are familiar with Nigerian terminology [some of them twisted caricatures], “Spraying” is an adopted word used to describe the moment that guests will get up from their chairs to dance with a celebrant and will proceed to “spray” money currencies on the celebrant.

First, they “sprayer” who is decked with the finest finery he might possibly get, who the strolling minstrel will hail with all manner of names and titles as he enters the location of the event not only want to show his wealth and clot by dazzling the lesser beings with his state of the art luxury cars and glittering gold, but will shower the musician and afterwards the celebrant with money of higher denominations be it foreign or local currencies. The more he can shower, the more the eulogy climbs a frenzy height. This money is left to litter the  dancing space grows in volume as individuals competes to be the highest sprayer while the dancer will walk, gyrate, dance, step on all this cash on the floor.

This is an attitude that started during the late 90’s. I still remember as a kid of probably 10-11 years old the time of Gen. Buhari and Idiagbon. I still remember the sense of orderliness, sense of purpose that became part of the Nigerian society. I remember that for the first time, the country seems to have a collective wholeness and direction to it. Well, that dream was cut short by one of the most successful M-16 agents in Nigeria[i],[ most of the elites in Nigeria  are just moles and agents working for the foreign powers who have sold and mortgage the future of the country and its citizens for a price of silvers ], [/i] Gen. Babangida { who like Gen. Pinochet of Chile, will never be hold responsible for his crimes} who in a well panned coup aided by the British Foreign Office took over the reins of the country and everything went down-hills from there. Corruption became a bye-word synonymous with Nigeria. Laziness and quick-rich mentality became the order and ways of life in Nigeria. Morals were completely lost, money became the enthroned God that can do anything. Settlement became the Nigeria’s state-craft. Parents lost all reasons and prod their kids to become rich at whatever cost.

I am not really a fan of that Buhari/Idiagbon regime. I mean, there were excesses but who are we kidding? If there is anything that Nigeria needs, it is a strong, thinking and capable leadership for sometime that will force people to have re-think about themselves. Japan, one of the few law-abiding countries of the world lived for hundreds of years under “cultured obedience’. Even failure to bow to a passing samurai may bring end up with your head on the road-side ditch The unyielding and unsuccessful  charted course towards a more democratic and open state is noble and worthwhile but as it seems, there is a huge disciplinary problem with the cargo [ the populace, rulers and ruled alike].

Any Nigerian will attest to the fact that if that country was able to proceed in that direction for 10 years, the current history of that nation will be different. But yet again, who says that these individuals who came with a mission to “save” the country would have been able to sustain the momentum? Who says that with time they wouldn’t have become corrupt like others as Nigeria have a way of infecting everything it comes in contact with rapid ease? That, we never know because of the short-life of their enterprise and the subsequent “settlement” one that followed.

In all books sacred to the religions presently incumbent in Nigeria, the need for moderation can be read or gleamed from their pages. Balance is that thin veil that separates madness from sanity. Once you tore that veil, there will be no distinction between you and that guy that thinks he is an aero plane.

In Nigeria, the evidence of good living is that of a man with a protruding stomach that makes him look as if he is 4-6 months pregnant, with a swollen face, waddles instead of walking and can get anything on skirt no matter her age and lacks any self-control. He eats, drinks, and accumulates beyond reason. What you see is an individual that looks like a caricature. But to him, it is evidence that he is living well. When the rest of world is striving for trans-humanism, we are in many ways trying to regress backwards. Not even our fathers looked like us today. Our fore-bearers have dignity and control. They farmed the lands, hold their words in sacred honor and bear them with courage. We have lost every concept of that within couples of decades. And it has dragged us down to the level of animals. Nigeria today represent evidently the lowest human beings can crawl to.

We feed our ego, stomach, greed to bloating point while we neglect the mind. Our churches and mosques are some of the best architectural marvels in our land and yet our schools are without roofs, toilet and sport facilities and, laboratories. A greater percentage of our youths and my generation too have been raised to accept all these are part of who we are. Each time, I met people of my age group in their early and middle 30’s, I’m bewildered and struck with the total ignorance which have left most of us at the mercies and consequences of uncultivated attitude.

The Central Bank governor has a very good reason in trying to stop this madness called “spraying”. The Congress must find it appropriate and worthy to pass an Act to stop this folly and empower the Law Enforcements to arrest and prosecute anybody acting in such manner.  Not only that it goes against all human decency, it is totally against the very grain the words of the spiritual injunction that ask us to give without the right hand knowing what the left hand have done.  If an individual have much to display as an evidence of his superior wealth, then the government should try to understand more of the source of such wealth and if possible, relieve him of some for a worthy cause since he have too much to be able to restrain himself.

These people with their actions have portrayed excessiveness and lack of moral balance and thus have torn the veil. They have transgress and broken the both human and divine laws which they profess that they observes willingly. It is this that they stand condemned already.

If indeed they must embark in their fool’s undertakings, let them use fake paper monies. This they can buy and do whatever their foolish minds can conceive. In Hong-Kong and elsewhere in Asia, people often do that in funerals. They buy paper money and burn them as a present to the dead. This might serve as an alternative to satisfy their stupidity.  Confucius said those words some hundreds of years back but it demands that we heed to it in our land now. The day is also coming when those that have sold that continent and their souls at the expense of their brother will account for their deeds. That day will soon dawn!
Re: Ksa, Central Bank Governor And The "spraying Culture" In Nigeria. by Kobojunkie: 7:19am On Apr 15, 2008
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113415.448.html

This is essentially a continuation of the thread at the link above

(1) (Reply)

The Visit Of The Pope, Political Or Sincere? / What Is Corruption And How Can We Fight It? / Gov Gbenga Daniels Sprays Naira On Mothers Burial Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.