Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,286 members, 7,913,659 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 10:29 AM

DV 2014 Winners Meet Here - Travel (256) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / DV 2014 Winners Meet Here (433151 Views)

US VISA LOTTERY,DV-2014 Program-online Registration! / DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / Dv 2012 Result Is Out ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (264) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Cynthia4real: 1:24pm On Sep 11, 2014
Dekonjay: @ Felixfelix, I'm glad you like the idea. From what I have been able to gather you are allowed to carry foodstuff as long as they are dried. For example:

Egusi, ogbonor, Local Crayfish, Okporoko, Mangara, Dried fish, Ukazi, Oha, Ugwu ,Kuli Kuli, Fufu, Groundnut Oil, Palm Oil, Egusi, Garri, Pepper – soup condiments, Beans, Atanla (red hot chilli pepper) and many more

Make sure your Egusi is well blended dried and well wrapped.
Do not travel with wet food items. Usually, wet food stuff can contain organisms not native to the US. Chicken is prohibited because of Bird Flu and beef because of Mad Cow disease.
Palm oil is allowed but only in small quantity and should be in branded packages if possible.
Dried/smoked fish should be properly wrapped also in order to avoid unpleasant odours.

Personally, I won't be carrying any of those items as you can easily get them to buy over there ( even though they may be quite expensive or not as fresh as you may want) and luckily for me my host ( who is my aunty) says she has enough of those. Will be getting her some other gift item though.
We booked our tickets this morning. We will be flying BA next Thursday.
Wow interesting,so fast?anway no dully.am also finding it difficult to make up my mind on the date am travelling cos i will miss my Mum alot, Lolssss. tnx alot 4 de information.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Cynthia4real: 1:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
cute2014: Also to the preceeding lists,u may want to add:

Bottled groundnuts,Semolina,pap,snail(fried),hair attachments like Expressions,and Medicines like antimalarials and broad spectrum antibiotics.Also Robb and/or Aboniki balm.

For those with kids:Their backpack should contain cereals(dried),powdered milk,bread(toast) with a spread,bowl,apples,cookies (u'll get hot water in the plane)and a jacket.This is necessary if the airline serves an unfamiliar food.I can just imagine the twins when they eat,whatever they've eaten and no matter how late they must still step down with Golden morn cereal.Lol!

Also; u may want to do both ur natioanl drivers' licence and the int'l driver's licence as it depends on the state u are going to.LEARN HOW TO DRIVE BEFORE TRAVELLING!!!

As for graduate school;u need to do ur transcripts,some did via WES,don't av much details as it does not apply to me.

For women; Learn how to make hair.I am taking 1-2hrs on days I'm not on call to do this as my almost 6years' old girl is so fashion conscious when it comes to hair so I nd to be able to keep up wt her and also save money.

Also don't run down ur electronic gadgets' battery down,sm1 mentioned ds but do not know why.

Yes,ur passports AND medicals MUST be in ur handbag!!!

Most impt advice I got was to save and never try to borrow,except for Mortgage as an example.Live within your budget!!!
Nice one,thank u very much Madam.this infor is of grt help to us.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by adigunomomama(m): 9:32pm On Sep 11, 2014
How many likes for the victims?

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Firewami: 11:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
roodboy: @ Adeoye Tolulope: im so sorry for late response, im so busy ni but ve response to ur email...thanx 4 ur understand...
. Ha thanks sooooo much i got the mail
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Ndeedee: 12:25am On Sep 12, 2014
worry359:
You should know that there is NO DV for 2015 or any time in the future. (Too many Nigerians and the quota is full.)
DV 2014 will finish at the end of this September, all outstanding applications will close and be scrapped.

I know that there is no DV 2015 for Nigeria. But there is a DV 2015 for Nigerians outside Nigeria who have spouses from other eligible countries. But thanks for the information though.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by felixfelix: 4:38am On Sep 12, 2014
roodboy:

Gbam!!! I thinks so too...if he can't move it to travel section, den delete it finally, infact delete it totally sef...
Our honourable moderator, with due respect and gratitude to ur good works here, I had expected to see ur response to this. I feel that if the thread in question is peculiar to a particular people not even far from here, more reasons to allow it thrive at this corner precisely abounds.Personally, in my judgement, if it's not given acceptance herein it does not worth existing entirely. In ur govt, consider d voice and demand of the masses, pls sir!

2 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by marymary14(f): 9:18pm On Sep 14, 2014
Ok! This forum is officially dormant, so no one has a testimony for the rest of September? #notcool#
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by VisaOfficer: 7:11am On Sep 15, 2014
Good morning everyone,

Remember how I promised to share information about immigration as soon as I find out about it? Well, here's something that's going to be announced this week:

"Please note that for DV-2016, there are no changes to the eligible countries list. The complete list of ineligible countries includes: Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, the Philippines, South Korea, the United Kingdom (excluding Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam. These countries are ineligible for the DV-2016 program because they met the 50,000 threshold for immigrant entries to the United States in the past five years."

3 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by osufamily(f): 9:45am On Sep 15, 2014
It is well

VisaOfficer: Good morning everyone,

Remember how I promised to share information about immigration as soon as I find out about it? Well, here's something that's going to be announced this week:

"Please note that for DV-2016, there are no changes to the eligible countries list. The complete list of ineligible countries includes: Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, the Philippines, South Korea, the United Kingdom (excluding Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and Vietnam. These countries are ineligible for the DV-2016 program because they met the 50,000 threshold for immigrant entries to the United States in the past five years."
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Lakeside4christ(m): 6:33pm On Sep 15, 2014
marymary14: Ok! This forum is officially dormant, so no one has a testimony for the rest of September? #notcool#

I dont think we still have any follower of this thread dat have appointment wit d consular officer(C.O) this month.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by marymary14(f): 9:56pm On Sep 15, 2014
Ok ooo.... it's just that it was really fun over here.
Lakeside4christ:

I dont think we still have any follower of this thread dat have appointment wit d consular officer(C.O) this month.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Lakeside4christ(m): 10:37pm On Sep 15, 2014
marymary14: Ok ooo.... it's just that it was really fun over here.

Yea!
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by vickkyplus: 10:53pm On Sep 15, 2014
VisaOfficer: Good morning everyone,

Pls ma,can a Nigerian who lives in a country that is eligible apply?
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by bamideleniayo(m): 11:40pm On Sep 15, 2014
oooh My God, who brings up the idea of bringing bottled Groundnuts to America when you can get Groundnuts both Salted, Unsalted, Honey Coated and normal ones here in America................ Am pretty sure most of the african foood stuff most pple listed here can be found in the African Stores here in America... People should just wise up and save themselves from extra baggage...
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by VisaOfficer: 7:19am On Sep 16, 2014
vickkyplus: Pls ma,can a Nigerian who lives in a country that is eligible apply?

In general, no. Chargeability is generally derived from your country of birth, not your country of citizenship. Here's what the law says:

The alien must be a native of, or chargeable to, a diversity country...

“Native” ordinarily means someone born within a particular country, regardless of the individual's current country of residence or nationality. "Native" can also mean someone entitled to be “charged” to a particular country under the provisions of INA 202(b) (8 U.S.C. 1152(b)).

... As stated in the regulatory definition, the normal rules of chargeability apply to INA 203(c) (8 U.S.C. 1153(c)) immigrants. Many applicants may seek beneficial treatment from the rules of cross chargeability, as in the following examples:
(1) A spouse or child born in a country, which is not among those for which DV visas are available, may use the principal registrant’s chargeability when they are accompanying or following-to-join;
(2) A child born in a non-qualifying country in which neither parent was born nor resident at the time of the child’s birth, may claim the birthplace of either parent;
(3) A principal registrant born in a country, which is not among those for which DV visas are available, and the spouse who was born in a qualifying country, may be issued DV visas, provided the relationship was established prior to submitting the entry. In such instances, however, both applicants are considered principal applicants for the purpose of cross-chargeability and must be issued visas and apply for admission to the United States simultaneously.

If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying.

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by kingcass: 7:36am On Sep 16, 2014
Am really happy to find this forum,may God bless u all for the advices given here,pls i have one question to ask,the question is pls can a beneficial of dv lotterys leave the country or go to america before the main applicant after gotten the visa?
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by DobraDobra: 7:55am On Sep 16, 2014
[quote author=kingcass]Am really happy to find this forum,may God bless u all for the advices given here,pls i have one question to ask,the question is pls can a beneficial of dv lotterys leave the country or go to america before the main applicant after gotten the visa?

NO NO d principal applicant that won the lottery must either enter first or enter jointly with beneficiaries. If any of d beneficiries enter b4 d principal applicant such person(s) will be returned ie deported
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by vickkyplus: 1:23pm On Sep 16, 2014
VisaOfficer:

In general, no. Chargeability is generally derived from your country of birth, not your country of citizenship. Here's what the law says:

The alien must be a native of, or chargeable to, a diversity country...

“Native” ordinarily means someone born within a particular country, regardless of the individual's current country of residence or nationality. "Native" can also mean someone entitled to be “charged” to a particular country under the provisions of INA 202(b) (8 U.S.C. 1152(b)).

... As stated in the regulatory definition, the normal rules of chargeability apply to INA 203(c) (8 U.S.C. 1153(c)) immigrants. Many applicants may seek beneficial treatment from the rules of cross chargeability, as in the following examples:
(1) A spouse or child born in a country, which is not among those for which DV visas are available, may use the principal registrant’s chargeability when they are accompanying or following-to-join;
(2) A child born in a non-qualifying country in which neither parent was born nor resident at the time of the child’s birth, may claim the birthplace of either parent;
(3) A principal registrant born in a country, which is not among those for which DV visas are available, and the spouse who was born in a qualifying country, may be issued DV visas, provided the relationship was established prior to submitting the entry. In such instances, however, both applicants are considered principal applicants for the purpose of cross-chargeability and must be issued visas and apply for admission to the United States simultaneously.

If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying.
Ok.thank you ma.So does that mean someone whose mother is from an eligible country, but resides in an ineligible country apply?
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by cute2014: 3:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
bamideleniayo: oooh My God, who brings up the idea of bringing bottled Groundnuts to America when you can get Groundnuts both Salted, Unsalted, Honey Coated and normal ones here in America................ Am pretty sure most of the african foood stuff most pple listed here can be found in the African Stores here in America... People should just wise up and save themselves from extra baggage...

I did!Yes,I know its available over there but not that its as cheap as u have it here.If u have space for it esp when travelling with 2,3,4 kids why not?Its an advice,u know.Not compulsory that it must be taken.I personally would,besides I would not want to start going to the stores buying naija stuffs immediately I get there.Like I said,its a matter of personal choice.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by VisaOfficer: 4:04pm On Sep 16, 2014
vickkyplus: Ok.thank you ma.So does that mean someone whose mother is from an eligible country, but resides in an ineligible country apply?

Yes, but only if that someone is a minor at the time of the original entry. Once the person is over 21, he or she is no longer a child for the purposes of the Diversity Visa program.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by VisaOfficer: 4:05pm On Sep 16, 2014
cute2014:

I did!Yes,I know its available over there but not that its as cheap as u have it here.If u have space for it esp when travelling with 2,3,4 kids why not?Its an advice,u know.Not compulsory that it must be taken.I personally would,besides I would not want to start going to the stores buying naija stuffs immediately I get there.Like I said,its a matter of personal choice.

Be careful... I lost all my kilishi and beans going through customs last time... they only let me keep the garri. embarassed

6 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by vickkyplus: 11:14pm On Sep 16, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Be careful... I lost all my kilishi and beans going through customs last time... they only let me keep the garri. embarassed
Is this our visa officer?I saw kilishi,beans(ewa)and garri!whaoooooo!so you eat beans too?do you smoke(drink)d garri or you make as eba?pls try a hot plate of beans and garri with cold water on a sunny day.Add milk if you care.cheers ma.

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Nobody: 11:41pm On Sep 16, 2014
So I'm here...
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Nobody: 1:00am On Sep 17, 2014
StSteven: So I'm here...
You mean you are posting from America

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Leripa(m): 1:45am On Sep 17, 2014
saxywale:
You mean you are posting from America

lol
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 17, 2014
The saint himself.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by osufamily(f): 8:22am On Sep 17, 2014

welcome back sir steven we re waiting for part of your testimony
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by justwise(m): 8:30am On Sep 17, 2014

...for second missionary journey?

2 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by cute2014: 9:08am On Sep 17, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Yaaay!!!Very funny!I quite undertstand losing the Kilichi but beans??Why now?I really gbadun (enjoy) u,ur sense of humor and level of adaptation.I will keep ur advice in mind though and I pray not to be unlucky.Thanks.
Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by cute2014: 9:09am On Sep 17, 2014
vickkyplus: Is this our visa officer?I saw kilishi,beans(ewa)and garri!whaoooooo!so you eat beans too?do you smoke(drink)d garri or you make as eba?pls try a hot plate of beans and garri with cold water on a sunny day.Add milk if you care.cheers ma.

Nice and funny.

1 Like

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by VisaOfficer: 9:35am On Sep 17, 2014
cute2014:
Yaaay!!!Very funny!I quite undertstand losing the Kilichi but beans??Why now?I really gbadun (enjoy) u,ur sense of humor and level of adaptation.I will keep ur advice in mind though and I pray not to be unlucky.Thanks.

To be fair, the beans had little tiny worms in them. (I have stopped shopping at that particular market.)

You should have seen me standing there defiantly eating as much kilishi as I could while the agent went through my other items.

3 Likes

Re: DV 2014 Winners Meet Here by tunnath: 10:13am On Sep 17, 2014

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (264) (Reply)

Main Reasons Many Are Refused Visas / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.