Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,257 members, 7,904,135 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 08:55 AM

Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? (15574 Views)

Which Is The Best Internet Connection In Nigeria? / Visafone Internet Configuration! Help / Visafone Internet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by holyghost(m): 1:11pm On Jun 22, 2008
My brother to be frank, most major operators like starcomms MTN GLO
Cobranet Swift, Glilat, IPNX are doing there best at the moment

1 the cause of bandwidth must be paid to their international ISPs
when this bandwidth was paid for must of them do not bargain for additional cost
for power, which you and I know that we are now a Generator driving economy

2. our Government is busy increasing the cost fuel and other multiple tax regime is in place now
(water rate, packing rate tenement rate land owner rate sign post tax. in fact we have sit down look
Tax, waka pass tax)

3. cost of transport to power/refuel base stations from place to place Man hour lost in traffic logjam

the truth is that NCC knows about this humongous expenses that's why the keep cool on sanctions
that they should apply.

for example most average home small office users

you paid =N=16,000 for a month internet service + 800 as vat = 16,800

to be honest you Need =N= 25,000 fuel to enjoy this one month
and you must change your Generator Plugs at =N= 300 a month
then engine Oil for =N= 450, depending on capacity and brand of Generotor set in use

rough estimate will being you to =N=50,000 to have a simple Internet service on 2systems per month

now compere yourself with the ISP
that also have to pay staff (from security, cleaners, contract staff to the rest of main staff and managers and directors, don't forget share holders and bribe that is giving to ease some contract and other informal cost of base stations and land rent that goes with it).

how do you compere them with USA, France UK even GHANA AND SOUTH AFRICA has better business atmosphere, must of the ISPs and in fact other coporate organisation in Nigeria has done their best based on our current state of amenities.

our government is the bane for a better life in this County, so face them with the blames.
from Federal to state to local level non has done 20% of their responsibility.

is like blaming a child when his parents are not giving him/her what she need to excel.
that will be humanly unfair, and unacceptable

As I type now some of the are biting their finger as to doing business in Nigeria.
we have the poplation that can make Nigeria Great, But few people in the power house/politic are doing everything to make Nigeria a less great nation.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by saniyusuf(m): 12:04am On Jun 23, 2008
Guyz. i Use Starcomms Evdo Network. and Seriosly I am Always Impressed.
I download At Speeds Of Sometimes Almost 100kbps.
Seriosly.
Starcomms EVDO Is Da Best.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by Nobody: 12:45am On Jun 23, 2008
Yeah Starcomms EVDO is still the best, but not available in remote parts of Lagos. U only get 1x service is some parts of lagos. They really have to make EVDO services available in all their network areas.

I went to my childhood area, Ebute Metta and my Starcomms Data card was running on Full EVDO, I couldn't beleive the speed, it was faster than a cafe!
Now I think Im gonna go back there cos of the connection speed tongue

Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by sfinxone(m): 1:02am On Jun 23, 2008
holyghost:

My brother to be frank, most major operators like starcomms MTN GLO
Cobranet Swift,  Glilat, IPNX are doing there best at the moment

1 the cause of bandwidth must be paid to their international ISPs
when this bandwidth was paid for must of them do not bargain for additional cost
for power, which you and I know that we are now a Generator driving economy

2. our Government is busy increasing the cost fuel and other multiple tax regime is in place now
     (water rate, packing rate tenement rate land owner rate sign post tax. in fact we have sit down look
      Tax, waka pass tax)

3. cost of transport to power/refuel base stations from place to place Man hour lost in traffic logjam

the truth is that NCC knows about this humongous expenses that's why the keep cool on sanctions
that they should apply.

for example most average home  small office users

you paid =N=16,000 for a month internet service + 800 as vat = 16,800

to be honest you Need =N= 25,000 fuel to enjoy this one month
and you must change your Generator Plugs at =N= 300 a month
then engine Oil for =N= 450, depending on capacity and brand of Generotor set in use

rough estimate will being you to =N=50,000 to have a simple Internet service on 2systems per month

now compere yourself with the ISP
that also have to pay staff (from security, cleaners, contract staff to the rest of main staff and managers and directors, don't forget share holders and bribe that is giving to ease some contract and other informal cost of base stations and land rent that goes with it).

how do you compere them with USA, France UK even GHANA AND SOUTH AFRICA has better business atmosphere, must of the ISPs and in fact other coporate organisation in Nigeria has done their best based on our current state of amenities.

our government is the bane for a better life in this County, so face them with the blames.
from Federal to state to local level non has done 20% of their responsibility.

is like blaming a child when his parents are not giving him/her what she need to excel.
that will be humanly unfair, and unacceptable 

As I type now some of the are biting their finger as to doing business in Nigeria.
we have the poplation that can make Nigeria Great, But few people in the power house/politic are doing everything to make Nigeria a less great nation.

I agree with you that they (the operators) face difficulties, but that's not an excuse cos all the difficulties you mentioned have been existing before they started business. Lack of Power for example has no link with the kind of bandwidth the ISP's provide.

It all boils down to NCC not doing their job properly. Why should an operator advertise Broadband internet access at up to 3mb/s and give not more than 100kb/s e.t.c

If the cost of doing budiness in Nigeria is High and an ISP can only provide 100kb/s then that is what they should advertise and charge for accordingly.

*It's sad that people that pay for Broadband internet access are getting dial-up grade speed (that is if the connection is even constant) and are happy about it (as many posters have been doing  sad). Still surprised people aren't suing these ISP's asses, oh well, "Only in NIgeria"
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by earthrealm(m): 10:47am On Jun 23, 2008
i use visaphone dial up, the speed is ok, but the charges arent,
since visaphone acquired bourdex, they hv introduced a lot of changes, some are not so good.

pay as u surf is like 55k/kilobyte, n thtas on the high side, n u cant use ur desktop phone to connect for the mnthly subscription anymore,
u gotta buy an aircard or usb modem, n that is an additional cost!!,
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by freakyy(m): 1:53pm On Jun 23, 2008
Dude!
Reltel is bad news!!
Got the mobile a while back, worked for 2months then blank! surely there was reception, the network bar was full but it would take forever to recharge a card- atleast 2hrs!!
and after that the card gets wasted cos i couldnt make a single call, to check the account balance gaan was wahala,

Then i took it to the reltel office in ikeja n the guy there took a look a it, tried his number for like one hour, didnt get thru then the funny thing he said was 'gentleman, it is working?'

i just laughed and dropped it with them, and i wasnt the only one.
So if that can happen over just the phone then you do the maths,
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by ooyesanya: 1:36am On Jun 24, 2008
cool CANT WAIT TO SEE STARCOMMS GET A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY, AT LEAST THEY WILL SIT UP IN THE FACE OF SERIOUS COMPETITION BY VISA, LETS SEE IF VISAFONE WILL BE CONSISTENT; THAT IS THE KEY.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by delegiwa(m): 8:44am On Jun 24, 2008
Hello People, I stay in Aguda in Surulere and is desirous of getting a GOOD mobile internet soon on my HP Pavillion laptop. I only know of Starcomms and I think I like them, can anyone tell me the price outlay - from the hardware to subscription pls?

I'll be grateful for an honest/genuine response no matter how bitter. I think I'd rather know now than regret later.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by beyu4real: 11:02am On Jun 24, 2008
i feel u all the challenge of having a fast and affordable internet access is becoming over alarming but i have decided to find a way out any how
the freedom proxy server software would have been the best option for now no thanks to GLO to stop it, i am not bothered at all we have to get a way out
thanks
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by magica: 11:11am On Jun 24, 2008
i use it and its fast. i got it last month and i uased the silver parkage on my laptop. i've used it in lagos and travelled wit it to abuja and it work well and also fast.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by lekpa: 11:43am On Jun 24, 2008
wink Hi guys,just been reading ur reports on visafone. I've been using it over the past 3 month and i have not had much of a problem, except the time nitel was on strike. Maybe U guys shuld try thinking positive and keep an open mind about it, i'm sure it will work 4 you too. cool[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by ghandy: 12:52pm On Jun 24, 2008
let me be the referee here. looks like its different strokes for different folks. if i were to choose, i'd say go get your visa internet connection. i mean some one is even asking to buy some one's data card.
my broda has one and i use it when i spend weekends with him.
my experience: well no complaints.
but for those who havent had a rosy relationship, i say go to visafone. they've got offices all over lagos.
make your complaint and see what they have to say.
i remember my broda got free 2 weeks internet access abt a month ago for being an early bird subscriber.
dats way to go for a company that values it customers.
we need that kind of competition to make others sit up
and wait a minute, you can travel with your data card to 16 states and enjoy internet access on the visafone network across nigeria.
that's something you cant say for the others who have been here for donkey years.
peace out
gboy
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by ikesemaya(m): 6:53pm On Jun 24, 2008
they internet connection now is more effective and efficient than when they were bearing bourdex telecom
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by femibig(m): 8:13pm On Jun 24, 2008
undecidedWell i don't know about Visafone internet but please do not go near reltel wireless, it is the worst that i have tried, sometimes it takes like 1hr to eternity b4 you can open yahoo. Presently i'm on starcomms and it's doing well atleast for now.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by Gamine(f): 4:08pm On Jun 25, 2008
visa is ok. We use it in abuja. Its aiit. starcomms is d best in Lag tho whn used in d correct areas
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by Ohenry(m): 6:35pm On Jun 26, 2008
The taste of the pudding is in the eating.

But I'd suggest you do a customer satisfaction survey before deciding which ISP to sign up with.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by flyuche(m): 2:27am On Jun 27, 2008
i live in portharcourt. starcomms evdo is great if you are within the coverage. the 1x is damn slow. for 1x, reltel is your sure bet.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by kenniy(m): 2:33pm On Jul 02, 2008
lol, bet you got lots of calls!
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by arambada(m): 4:11pm On Jul 02, 2008
please, which of the internet connection in nigeria is the best for now, in term of payment, and service rendered?
i have terrible experiences using reltel and multi-links hand held phones in the past, and the mtn that i am using presently is not linking my nokia n70 to my laptop!
i practically still rely on cyber cafe for my information marketing business!
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by arambada(m): 5:37pm On Jul 02, 2008
just for good internet connection, i do not think that most nigerian youths (who are interested in legitimate business) need to disturb our government for jobs again.
there are more than enough information product to sell online.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by Naija4ward(m): 10:29pm On Jul 02, 2008
Incagold, please enlighten my people more. May be if they all vote together, this service providers will wake up. Paying almost £91 for a broadband is a joke.

When I am in Nigeria I pay N12,000 to Direct on PC for services that comes on and off.
In UK I pay £12 monthly to AOL broadband. In Ireland I pay Euro 25 (N4,625) to Vodafone for broadband. My UK and Ireland broadband is supremely superior to that of any Nigerian provider.

I put the difference down to the COST OF DIESEL powering the generators, abi? Otherwise there is no justification for such cheating either by Visafone, Reltel, MultiLinks, Starcomms or whoever.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by serubawon(m): 12:36pm On Jul 03, 2008
I honestly think starcomms is the best for now. They have been running their EVDO service for at least a year now and i still get respectable speed. Remember that starcomms has a very high volume of subscribers and are still giving reasonable bandwidth on the EVDO platform.

Personally, i doubt if visafone will be able to equate their performance with their adverts. Even the visafone phone is already having problems. Once it rains, no service. I'm pretty happy with my starcomms EVDO aircard. Now is a good time to get it as they have a promo on and it's going for just =N=7,000.

Remember this sha o. Buying the aircard is one thing, having NEPA to even switch on your laptop is a completely different issue. Get ready to spend an average of about =N=800 a day just to provide yourself with the electricity to enjoy what you have.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by Abuja1(m): 5:39pm On Jul 03, 2008
Amic:
reltel is good and is fast but someone stole my laptop and my internet what do ido ?
go and collect it back, or you buy another one, period
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by saou2007(m): 4:58pm On Jul 05, 2008
Visafone now in Warri, how is your services. Please update me of your cost on different teriff?
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by quickygirl(f): 2:53pm On Jul 08, 2008
thats what am using now, its coopl so far.hope dey jare
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by munecson: 10:59pm On Jul 08, 2008
they are birds of a feather,
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by richari: 11:31pm On Jul 12, 2008
My problem with Visafone was even more basic. I just cant find resellers of their recharge cards. That enough discouraged me from pursuing their other products including their internet connection.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by salinson: 2:16pm On Jul 14, 2008
hello house
for now Reltel is the best of all with affordable price for the subscription. Is the best just because people have not migrated to it.
I will prefer people should go for MULTILINKS lattest CDMA nokia phone and just to recharge #2oo just to browse all day that is great and the speed is 460kp/s which is great especially at night all so u can make a phone call on the 200# recharge .
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by SandyRocks1(f): 9:29pm On Jul 15, 2008
pllllllllllllllllllllssssssssssssssssssssssssss, no one should bother wasting thier money to buy visafone internet abeg, it is all rubbish. i regret wasting my almost 20k for nothing. always :Pcuts, very slow and its he sil :Pver package i've got. absolute rubbish.loud hiss.
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by Labelle(f): 12:49pm On Jul 16, 2008
WIRINET,

I have the same exact problem!!!! and I found out that the problem with receiving only 1x reception is actually from the card. My collegue and I purchased the same plan, with the same Aircard, the same time. He has no problem with EVDO reception, infact, his hardly flunctuates towards 1x but mine's permanently indicating 1x in use. But when we swop cards, a miracle occurs, i get EVDO without any fluctuation issues while He gets 1x. Infact, if you truely want to confirm that the speeds from the 1x and EVDO receiving cards are not the same, open a youtube video at the exact same time and monitor the stream speed. That's exaclty what i did, not once, not twice but three times, and the difference in strem speed is unquestionable.

Last week i finally found time to visit their GRA Ikeja office to address this problem and the nutjob techi guy there, who obviously doesnt know a nibbe bit about 1x evdo technically issues just messed around with the watcher settings, reinstalled the drivers then returned the laptop concluding that since CNN's webpage could open in less than a minute(even with the recepion stll indicating 1x in use) the problem had been fixed.

ofcourse when i got back to the office, the sitaution was a lot different. They have now advised me to take my laptop/card to their saka tinubu offfice,which ill be visiting this weekend. god help them if they dont give me my money's worth =EVDO plan.

Dont be deceived by the speed you get when you go to any of their offices, its a given the connection would be faster, DUH? What's clear is that they sold me a 1x plan which is ofcourse a couple of thousands cheaper, when i paid for an EVDO silver plan.

Lastly, visafone has not an existing customer care structure, no one, just the people that help you collect your money, these chaps know not more than that, although they pose as customer care personel.

So pls dont just come here to whine, wear your fight boots and match down to the neasrest visafone office and demand that your service be upgraged to evdo, which is what you payed for!!! If they tell you trash, grab them by the nut and then make your request again!!
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by Nobody: 1:42am On Jul 19, 2008
please don't subscribe to visafone, their broad-band is nothing but local-band

the max you will get on their gold plan is 14 kilobyte per sec. don't even try it
i have 1 month subscription on my visafone air card and i have given it out and gotten starcomms
Re: Visafone Internet Connection! Any Hope? by nazzyon(m): 7:55am On Jul 19, 2008
Visafone really need to do something about the hardware in their modem.

I was fortunate to lay my hands on one of their modem and it was very disappointing.

I noticed complains about hardware and the internet connections kept timing out continually.

They need to solve these problems that people are complaining about or else they may end up packing. Nigerians are no longer in the oldies and only few can be fooled this days.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Talk To Your PC, And Have It Talk Back. / I Forgot My Bank Account Number, What Do I Do ?? / Help On How To Install Pes 2015.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.