Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,440 members, 7,978,400 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 07:56 AM

Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS (1992 Views)

Helicopters Hovering Round Onitsha With Nigerian Flag - Pics / Taiwo Akinkunmi: National Flag Designer Appointed Special Assistant to President / Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by EkoIle1: 5:16pm On May 02, 2013
[img]http://nationalmirroronline.net/thumbnail.php?file=/taiwo_683735462.jpg&size=article_large[/img]

Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi: A Patriotic Nigerian Without Honor

The Flag of Nigeria was designed in 1959 and first officially hoisted on October 1, 1960. The two unique sea-green bands represent the forests and abundant natural wealth of Nigeria while the white band represents peace. Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi who hails from Owu in Abeokuta, Ogun State was a student of Norwich Technical College, England when he saw the advertisement in the National Daily's that entries were being accepted for the design of a new National Flag.
Akinkunmi quickly prepared his entry and sent it to Lagos where it was eventually picked in 1958 as the best and the flag was used to celebrate an independent Nigeria on October 1, 1960; when the Union Flag (Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) was lowered for the Nigeria Flag to take its place on the flagpole.

Today it is disheartening that this patriotic individual who has placed the image of Nigeria and Nigerians on the international scene has been abandoned by the Nigerian government as the only award which he was given was in London for his winning entry which was given to him by the white men. Taiwo Akinkunmi lamented that ever since he returned to Nigeria, nothing was given to him, not even a title although I received a lot of congratulatory messages from different set of people but I'm still expecting the Government of Nigeria to honor me with any National Honor and apart from that I want the Government to come to my aid, I need the assistance at this present point in time, I'm dying of one sickness or the other, My children are still young and i still find it difficult to cater for their needs.............People should please come to my rescue.............lamented Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi.

Heard the news over the radio this morning.
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by EkoIle1: 5:18pm On May 02, 2013
Taiwo Akinkunmi designed the Nigerian flag at the age of 25.

Taiwo Akinkunmi might not resound in the hearts of Nigerians, especially the younger generation; but if history was being taught properly, he should be a household name in Nigeria, being the man who designed the Nigerian flag at the age of 25 while he studied in London.
[b]
His flag design was accepted amongst other designs, for its ingenuity and depth. This, at the time, shot Mr. Akinkunmi into limelight and enlisted him amongst Nigeria’s heroes and icons.

Now, Mr. Akinkunmi, a man whose ingenious work of creativity we still enjoy each time we gaze at the Nigerian flag, lives in an ill befitting house in Ibadan and suffers from Parkinson’s disease.

A group of young, impact- oriented minds under the cover of GNext Youth Organization have, however, taken it upon themselves to give this icon’s home a complete makeover.

The GNext Youth, through the home makeover, would renovate his living room and bedroom.

Electrical appliances windows, window frames and furniture will be replaced. And to give the home a beautiful ambiance, the house will be repainted and flowers will be planted all round the house.

Renovations are to commence from May 8 till May 10, when it would be declared open by the First Lady of Oyo State in a ceremony that would equally mark Mr. Akinkunmi’s birthday.

In an official release by one of the co-founders of GNEXT youth club, Olufemi Olumide, the group said “We intend to have a three day Makeover for Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi from 8th-10th of May. We would do this by harnessing from our large network, of youth volunteers from institutions, organizations, churches and corporate organizations to lend helping hands with the renovation, theme (Interior designs) his Living room, and bedroom”.

“We intend to change window frames, repaint the fence, plant flowers and beautify the compound, engage Carpenters, Bricklayers, Tile workers and Painters to do the finishing, erect a Huge Nigerian Flag at the entrance of his residence, replace furniture, TV and electrical appliances, and conduct a press conference stating our intention.”[/b]

http://premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/132242-gnext-plans-home-makeover-for-nigerian-flag-designer-akinkunmi.html
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Tolexander: 5:19pm On May 02, 2013
Eko ile, wetin do you do flag today self?

But it is very unfair hearing this man isn't given any national award for the service done. Must we steal from nigerian purse before we can be recognise
national anthem: [size=18]the labour of our heroes past
shall never be in vain.[/size]
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Tolexander: 5:25pm On May 02, 2013
Eko ile, wetin do you do flag today self?
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Afam4eva(m): 5:37pm On May 02, 2013
I've always asked myself this questio: what's so difficult in coming up with a green, white and green flag? I mean it's green and white.
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by EkoIle1: 5:39pm On May 02, 2013
^^^^^^^^ How shallow and ignorant as usual..

3 Likes

Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Inik(m): 5:44pm On May 02, 2013
Afam4eva: I've always asked myself this questio: what's so difficult in coming up with a green, white and green flag? I mean it's green and white.
It really does not take anything to design a green white green flag. However this case has to do with national sentiments, the flag was one of our first national symbols after independence. The designer of such a national symbol ought to be fully compensated one way or the other by the federal government.
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Afam4eva(m): 5:53pm On May 02, 2013
Inik:
It really does not take anything to design a green white green flag. However this case has to do with national sentiments, the flag was one of our first national symbols after independence. The designer of such a national symbol ought to be fully compensated one way or the other by the federal government.
Off course he deserves a lot more. I'm not taking anything away from him.
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Pennywise(m): 5:54pm On May 02, 2013
It is hardly surprising that the flag originator has not fared very well. Maybe this country would have been better off if a more innovative and intuitive mind had designed our flag. It is about time the bland, uninspiring, good for nothing symbol is dispensed with. Thereafter the color green should be decreed off our national flag. The flag must have been chosen in a hurry to meet the independence celebration deadline. But all that is over now.

Wole Soyinka was the gentleman's contemporary. I would have preferred whatever he had to give.

1 Like

Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Tolexander: 5:56pm On May 02, 2013
Afam4eva: I've always asked myself this questio: what's so difficult in coming up with a green, white and green flag? I mean it's green and white.
the question you should have asked yourself is that, was he the only one that submitted the entry for the design of the national flag?
How come his was the most prefered and acceptable?

Every finished work always seems simple to the eyes, only the inventor knows how many midnight candles he burnt during the process of the invention.

Not the colour of the flag but the genius concept behind it.

5 Likes

Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Pennywise(m): 6:08pm On May 02, 2013
Tolexander: the question you should have asked yourself is that was he the only one that submitted the entry for the design of the national flag?
How come his is the most prefered and acceptable?

Every finished work always seem simple to the eyes, only the inventor knows how many midnight candles he burnt during the process of the intention.

There is nothing there that a pry school child could not have done. Infact any other entry that was made would have been better irrespective of criteria save for the official national mediocrity called'federal character' which I suspect was the sole consideration.
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Tolexander: 6:14pm On May 02, 2013
Pennywise:

There is nothing there that a pry school child could not have done. Infact any other entry that was made would have been better irrespective of criteria save for the official national mediocrity called 'federal character' which I suspect was the sole consideration.
i understand you don't understand nigeria was in the colonial era when the flag was designed!
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Afam4eva(m): 6:15pm On May 02, 2013
Tolexander: the question you should have asked yourself is that was he the only one that submitted the entry for the design of the national flag?
How come his is the most prefered and acceptable?

Every finished work always seem simple to the eyes, only the inventor knows how many midnight candles he burnt during the process of the intention.

I agree with the bolded but i don't think it applies here. This was not a design. It was just picking of colors which anyone could have done...This does not take anything away from the man. He dxeserves the respect as the one who came up with it.
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Tolexander: 6:50pm On May 02, 2013
Common afam!

The colour is an outcome of his imagination!
Why didn't he choose other colours but those two ones?

Ghana gained independence in march 6, 1957 before nigeria, aren't they of the same west african and (many) vegetation country with nigeria, why didn't their flag designer choose the green and white colour?

You don't need basing your judgement on the finished product but the rationale behind the concept.

1 Like

Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by EkoIle1: 8:03pm On May 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
I agree with the bolded but i don't think it applies here. This was not a design. It was just picking of colors which anyone could have done...This does not take anything away from the man. He dxeserves the respect as the one who came up with it.

You really don't have to keep sinking in shallow and ignorant utterances. He won and was selected because of the communal and nationalist interpretation of the colors and common sense should tell you that the Nigerian National Flag means way way more than just colors.

Damn! They didn't teach you social studies in your village elementary school?

The national flag has white and green colours. What was the idea behind the use of the two colours?

The green colour stands for the agriculture progress of the people of the country in the North, East and the West; it shows that we are all farmers. The white colour stands for peace, unity and religion in all the states in the country. I wanted something we could use anywhere in the country that will represent Nigeria when it is used.

I wanted something that can represent the nation and nothing else occurred to me but agriculture and unity of the country and that is the reason I chose the green colour for agriculture and the white colour for unity and peace.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/index.php/features/people/21874.html
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by abes(m): 8:16pm On May 02, 2013
Afam4eva:

How do you expect a flag to look like? Can you sketch us a good design so we can have an idea what you mean by a good design?
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Tolexander: 9:03pm On May 02, 2013
abes:

How do you expect a flag to look like? Can you sketch us a good design so we can have an idea what you mean by a good design?

this is how he expects the flag to look like,

[img]http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/13200_biafranflag_gif3e2795ff0c041ff56364c19bb64a3fd7&imgrefurl=https://www.nairaland.com/14666/pictures-flag-currency-biafra&h=216&w=375&sz=2&tbnid=GbBoC-0lUobPGM:&tbnh=41&tbnw=71&prev=/search%3Fq%3DBiafran%2Bflag%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Biafran+flag&usg=__HudzInwjVTERFchyw6leLhMsg64=&sa=X&ei=8cWCUfSZBaTK4ATd5YHgDw&ved=0CCIQ9QEwAg&start=1[/img]
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Yeske2(m): 9:18pm On May 02, 2013
@Afam, i love it the way you ignore kids(eko ile et al) these days.
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 02, 2013
I totally understand when Biafrans see nothing ingenious in the Nigerian flag.

I am a Nigerian, and a product of several military schools, calling the Nigerian flag "bland" is blasphemy angry As bad as the country is right now, some things are just way off. Show some respect!

Mr. Taiwo Akinkunmi is an hero in his own right, I wouldn't expect an I.diot would compare him to Wole Soyinka. Give honor to whom it is due.

1 Like

Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by Nobody: 11:10pm On May 02, 2013
grin FG should donate a bag of Rice,1 Ram and 1mil naira cheque to the man nah cheesy na joke o. But he should be given MON at least because no matter which angle you look view it from, Mr Taiwo made something that identifies each and everyone of us as Nigerians
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by omenka(m): 10:24am On May 03, 2013

My dear it is a very simple thing oo. It is much more difficult looting the nation's treasury dry, and that's why such persons are granted state pardon and all sort of National Honours complete with countless chieftaincy titles.
Re: Home Make Over For Negelected Nigerian Flag Designer, Taiwo Akinkunmi. PICS by inaluf: 12:01pm On May 03, 2013
chiover: But he should be given MON at least because no matter which angle you look view it from, Mr Taiwo made something that identifies each and everyone of us as Nigerians

I can't agree more than this.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos State Domestic Law For Men Who Beat Up Their Wives. / Ongoing ASUU Strike: Politically Motivated? / Anambra Governorship Is Not For Boys – Ngige Tells Obiano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.