Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,517 members, 7,881,745 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 08:29 AM

Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? (1948 Views)

Jonathan Vs Buhari: Setting The Stage For An Imminent Confrontation - AWORINDE / China Executes Eight For Terrorism / Abuja Court Sentences Lebanese To Life Imprisonment For Terrorism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by zionchic(f): 4:26am On May 13, 2006
Hi all

Actually i noticed quite a number of threads have been started discussing similar issues, but i noticed they've long been deserted.

I was watching the Fox news today and America believes that Nigerian scammers are associated to Osama, they believe every cent siphoned by these set of people are gotten to fund the next terrorist attack, folks what do you think please air your views.

I don't believe it is all about terrorism but can i underestimate Osama? i really think measures should be taken to put a stop to this bad reputation our dear country has earned. but what can be done?

I bet we don't want Nigeria to be the next war zone for the Americans!
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by Seun(m): 4:47am On May 13, 2006
"and America believes that Nigerian scammers are associated to Osama, they believe every cent siphoned by these set of people are gotten to fund the next terrorist attack"

Very funny. Are you really serious? grin
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by DaHitler(m): 4:50am On May 13, 2006
Fox news is the worst new channel on TV. It is clearly a talking piece for the Republic party and the right-wing extremist. Terrorism is the only thing that they can use to keep their political base in line, after all, the economy isn't doing to well for the working class.

And BTW, most of the 419 people in Nigeria are not Muslim. And I highly doubt the Christians and atheist that take part in 419 would send their money up north where it would come in contact with the few extremist in the country.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by zionchic(f): 5:05am On May 13, 2006
@ seun

I'm really serious, i was on the computer when i heard the news and that startled me, making me wonder how ignorant these people could be, then thinking deeper i said could it be possible that it all started with those in the north (not to be offensive) because i heard some months ago that nigeria was most likely the next country to be feared as regards terrorism but i didn't pay attention to it 'cos i assumed it was crap. sincerely i'm concerned now, and knowing how bush goes, all he thinks about is war and defending his country at the expense of others.

@ Afeni

well said, i would never believe that either, but who will convince Bush that even 13 yr old high school students are into this Yahoo stuff? who would let them know that Osama has no part in my country (if indeed he doesn't). very few things scare me and buddy this is one.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by DaHitler(m): 5:26am On May 13, 2006
Zionchic, I also doubt Bush has the political power to invade Nigeria. Last time I checked, he is down to 32 percent approval rating by the American people.

The only concern I have about this is that it would ruin the image of Nigeria. But then again, its not like ours truly has been known for positive things. grin
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by zionchic(f): 5:48am On May 13, 2006
hmmmm true talk, Bush can't go to war without the necessary support but don't you think they might give him the support he needs if according to some Nigerians, NIGERIA has indeed become a name to be feared by the ordinary American, they claim some people won't even transact business with you once they know you're Nigerian, really pathetic! (I'm yet to experience that though) and it indeed is a pity that Nigeria hasn't really gained any positive name, but more hurting i believe so much in this country, where is our hope!
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by Seun(m): 5:57am On May 13, 2006
Perhaps Bush thinks that in order to obtain support for invasion of the Niger Delta region he has to create a link between Nigerian scams and terrorism. That's a very stupid thing to do, but they have done worse before.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by DaHitler(m): 6:01am On May 13, 2006
The ordinary American is not aware that Africa is not one country. These people no little when it comes to world knowledge. According to a sturdy done a few weeks ago, only 1 in every 7 American youths (18-24) could find Iraq on a map. And to to think that America has been spending hundreds of billions of dollars fighting a war there for the last 3-4 years.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by DaHitler(m): 6:03am On May 13, 2006
Seun, I never thought it that way. Yes, I am now very worried. However, I can't help but feel that it might be best for Nigeria to be realigned. Especially when you consider that the Americans are really good at nation building.

Link to the sturdy: http://archives.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/11/20/geography.quiz/
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by zionchic(f): 6:08am On May 13, 2006
for real seun, i was just telling my mum about it and considering the fact that something similar to that was done during the iraq invasion, they claimed there were weapons there and till now the world is still awaiting the weapons they found. unortunately uncle sege and his crew wouldn't say a word, they would just sit there and allow these foolishness to pass over them, i still wonder what the catch was with iraq though.

@ Afeni

that is really interesting and something that amazes mii, i always have to tell them Africa is just another continent like South America, Asia, Europe etc but trust mii they still look at me like what the heck is she talking about. it's sad 'because America would not seek ways to educate their kids all they do is misinform them on the animals they believe walk around on African streets
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 13, 2006
very laughable rhetoric. If nigerian scammers were involved with Osama, why has nigeria not been hit by terrorist bombs ever?

Methinks this is too stupid to even consider talking about!
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by Seun(m): 8:59pm On May 13, 2006
If nigerian scammers were involved with Osama, why has nigeria not been hit by terrorist bombs ever?
Actually, we've had terrorist bombings recently:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-11096.0.html

Do you know that this Niger Delta agitator with terrorist tendencies (Asari Dokubo) is a muslim? Interesting, isn't it? Fortunately he is under trial now. Highly unlikely to escape with his life.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by zionchic(f): 12:01am On May 14, 2006
davidylan:

very laughable rhetoric. If nigerian scammers were involved with Osama, why has nigeria not been hit by terrorist bombs ever?

Methinks this is too stupid to even consider talking about!

David, it shows how much you know about the world around you (not to sound insulting) i mean you reside in NY and you don't even have a clue, with all the 24hr news and all, bro wake up and get to know the world around you, there is so much going on that requires apt attention.

@ seun

that's indeed something to look into, i never knew about that guy, i guess it's so much we're not keeping up with residing outside the country, but if sincerely the guy has terrorist tendencies do you think he would be alone on this, he definitely would have his crew and killing him would only trigger a lot more violence from his pals (whoever those could be). am i making sense?
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by Seun(m): 8:18pm On May 14, 2006
It is highly unlikely that we have anything to worry about. Fox news is not know to be the most objective channel. If the report you heard on TV surfaces on the web, then we'll look into it. Cheers and thanks for posting this topic!
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by Abeem(m): 10:35pm On May 14, 2006
Seun:

It is highly unlikely that we have anything to worry about. Fox news is not know to be the most objective channel. If the report you heard on TV surfaces on the web, then we'll look into it. Cheers and thanks for posting this topic!
Nope, I disagree. To the Americans, especially those who belong to the ruling Republican right-wing extremist party, Fox News reports are credible and more reliable than other media forums. So, the fear of Zionchic is very well founded after all.
Remember, they need not cross-check the credibility of the story (as in the case of Iraq) before they start their war-mongering effort. And as a way of rewarding Fox News for their unflinching and partisan display of support for the regime, the Bush Administration have just appointed a former Fox News talk show host- Tony Snow as the new Press Secretary to replace Scott McClellan, the former press secretary.
Also remember Americans are very gullible, (they believe and accept what is being sold to them by the politicians hook, line and sinker) and love their freedom, (although I always question "which freedom?" because I cannot appreciate the wisdom they so much cherish and love to talk about). The right wing party (The Republican Party) in the US is known to prey on this by driving fear into the subconscious of ordinary Americans. They relied on the medium of Radio Talk Show to do this because they have the monopoly on this mass media to reach their teeming supporters.
Another relevant point raised by Zionchic is the uprising in the Niger Delta area. This uprising has more or less contributed to the rising global price of crude oil and by extension the American people are feeling the impact. The price per gallon of gasoline in the pump has gone up astronomically and there is a consensus that something has to be done to arrest the situation. Perhaps, the linking of the scammers to the terrorist is a calculated attempt to discredit Nigeria and look for a rationale to drum up the war rhetoric. Do not be surprised that even though the Bush's rating has been going south, they (Republicans) may back him if he decides to go to war. The party is known in the US as the war party because of its penchant to always look to war as a means to showing its supremacy and hegemony over the rest of the world.
On a related note, let it be known that the crude oil produced in the Niger Delta known as Bonny light is preferred in America because I understood it needs less refining. And it is a known fact that America is the greatest consumer of energy in the World. The American economy is dependent on energy produced outside its shores and so if there is a threat to disrupt the flow of this energy (as is currently the case in the Niger Delta) which can slow down its economy, America will flex its muscles. So, it becomes necessary to America that its interests (i.e. uninterrupted flow of energy to fuel its economy) be protected. If the disruption of the production of energy in Nigeria is causing the price of gasoline to appreciate and American consumers are feeling the impact because it takes a larger % of their disposable income, then the government unlike our own selfish government officials feels obliged to do something to alleviate the suffering of its people, as feeling unconcerned may lead to their being voted out of power in the elections.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by mochafella(m): 5:50am On May 15, 2006
It will be a surprise if any Nigerian scammer actually gives his "hard-earned" scam profits to a terrorist. Nigerians love money too much to give it to some fellow who plans to target and kill the scammer's source of income.

Fox news should stop chasing shadows and look at the oil-rich governments/individuals in the middle east that are funding Osama in the name of charities. It might have been possible if they had mentioned MEND, even that is far-fetched but Scammers and Osama, that's a non-starter.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by twinstaiye(m): 9:18am On May 15, 2006
Interesting and very revealing. So it is just a matter of time before US decide to do something about the problems in Niger Delta. I thought as much too, but was not too informed of what they might be up to. Thanks abeem for the analysis, please keep us posted.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by MrBean(m): 3:25pm On May 16, 2006
Nigeria is not on the Agenda in the immediate forseeable future. The best the US can do now about the Niger-Delta will be CIA (working from the inside). At worst US special forces (Covert operations). An invasion will be killing a fly with a cannon and its will not be worth the Investment. You need to remember that the US is a business enterprise first before anything esle. They always do a cost-benefit analysis to try to eliminate waste and maximise profit.

Invasion?  Not feasible.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by babadee(m): 7:04pm On May 16, 2006
This is the usual crap fox dishes out to its gullible American public, you only have to go to the clubs and bars to see where all the scam money is going with blinged out hommies calling the shots in fancy rides.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:02am On May 17, 2006
check out this site, it made me laugh grin grin grin
It has some of the "419" peeps wey dey for nigeria LoL

http://scammers-exposed.com/
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by hotangel2(f): 2:33am On May 17, 2006
JosBoy4Lif:

check out this site, it made me laugh grin grin grin
It has some of the "419" peeps wey dey for nigeria LoL

http://scammers-exposed.com/

That's sad mehn.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by saintjide: 5:55pm On May 17, 2006
even if fox news shit is correct and all that, the truth is that there is little bush can do about it, will he invade naija?on wat basis, the best he can do is use cia or fbi shit, and even if he does invade this country we have enough jass to topple him, or dont y'all believe in black magic shit?
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by azikiwe: 12:20am On May 19, 2006
Also remember Americans are very gullible, (they believe and accept what is being sold to them by the politicians hook, line and sinker)

It is very sad for someone to judge an entire nation on what one hears from the news media.  You seem to assume that all Americans are the same, while you complain about Americans that assume all Nigerians are scammers.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by xchian(m): 2:10am On May 20, 2006
scam i say is better than carrying a gun and kiling,u only catch up with the greedy ones, what ya think
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by Jakumo(m): 7:35am On May 20, 2006
Inspired by the activities of the folks who set up websites such as the one referenced earlier in this thread, I once conducted some informal research of the internet 419 world by auto mass-mailing canned responses to the scammers who daily bombard email inboxes globally.  In my bait emails I pretended to be several different gullible but filthy rich Americans, and provided my eager and highly motivated 419 correspondents with US voice-mail phone numbers so that they could leave recorded messages that would help in identifying the tribal intonation of the internet swindlers' spoken English.

In no time literally hundreds of Nigerian 419 internet con-men began leaving frantic voice messages urging me to get with the program and send "processing fees" which would enable them to enrich me with imaginary millions of dollars. To my amazement VIRTUALLY ALL of the messages recorded on my decoy voice-mail tapes were left by speakers whose English accent was EASILY and precisely identifyable as being from the IGBO tribe of South Eastern Nigeria.  This fact alone casts much doubt on any hypothesis aimed at establishing a linkage between 419 scammers and Islamic fundamentalist terror networks, since anyone familiar with Nigerian history would know for a fact that there is no love lost between the largely Christian Igbo tribe on one hand and the totally Muslim Hausa tribe from Northern Nigeria on the other. 

It remains perplexing,  however, that the IGBO tribe is so disproportionately over-represented among the ranks of internet 419 scammers, and one wonders what on earth it could be about the Igbo culture that uniquely predisposes its men of all ages to engage in this particular line of business that has so demonized the word "Nigerian" as to render it synonymous with the status of "criminal" throughout much of the internet-connected world .  I sure would be grateful to anyone who can explain these baffling statistics.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by anton(m): 4:13pm On May 23, 2006
Many in the higher eschelons of intelligence gathering have already connected the current president of Nigeria with the military industrial complex. You want to know the true extent of u.s. involvement with your current administration?

Simply do this. Locate as much info as you can about the nigerian military units/members that recieved training from the u.s. special forces. If you look hard enough, you will find that those guys are stil in regular contact with each other. cia? fbi? them scrubs are always back of the bus. the military always had the point in maintaining the empire. You can see that development in front of your eyes right now. The cia is about to get it ass put in a sling, hard core. i try not to watch corporate media. however, if it was on fox news then they are definately prepping the feeble minds with the idea. granted, they might not make a major move for another four and even 5 years. alot of you seem to think that these people have not had nigeria on their recipe list for a long time. how very unfamiliar you are. Are you aware that yt president ford signed the orders to not assasinate any foreign leaders right after the very unfortuate death of Martala Muhammad. Many say that he was the last overt victim of cia meddleing in foreign affairs.

you guys need to wake up. chenay has plans to nuke iran in the event of another terrorist act and now the anglo american establishment is talking about pulling out of iraq. hmmmmm. you really think these people can't fabricate a reason to go into the delta? let's say there is a joint counter terrorism training excercise between the u.s. and nigerian navies. let's say there is an attack on the ship (lets say one the newer ageis cruisers, that be a definate blow to american pride) and corporate oil facilities. the result? marine corp crawling all over the delta, getting chewed up, and nigeria gets assigned it's very on wasp class to keep it company.

Or, better yet, i have an even scarier proposition. the united snakes takes the side of delta and gives THEM every thing they need to secure the delta, gps, night vision, radios, high speed patrol boats, stingers, etc, etc. In other words they get the same support as taiwan. sounds crazy? now you have an idea of how these people think.

Stop fucin wit corporate news and start studyin c-span. They TELL yu everything you plan to do. This whole nigeria=terrorism is old news.

You folks are about to to your very own Command because EUCOM doesn't have to resources to keep and eye on tboth urope and the Continent any longer. You didn't think they are building those bases around the Continent as tourist resorts, did you?
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by Jakumo(m): 6:16pm On May 23, 2006
Correct me if I misread, Anton, but you seem to be making an oblique reference to CNNs documentary on Nigerian scammers residing in the US by suggesting that the content of that program may have been sensationalized in order to prepare the ground for a future US invasion of Nigeria under the banner of fighting terrorism, but for the true purpose of securing continued access to Nigeria's highly prized low-sulfur light crude oil.

The much-rumored conspiracy between Fox News, CNN and the US military-industrial complex may or may not exist,  but the global scope of criminal activities carried out by Nigerian scammers and drug distribution networks hardly needs editorial exaggeration since details of the sheer scale and sophistication of these criminal networks beggar belief no matter how objectively they are covered by the press.

Your prediction of US military intervention in the Niger Delta is on the money, with only the time of formal hostility commencement and the nature of the Gulf of Tonkin type trigger event remaining the unknowns in the equation, but your assessment of the role of the media this early in the game remains doubtful.  CNN and Fox News only call the play as the timeless chess-moves of global geopolitics, trade, brinksmanship and armed conflict unfold on the world stage, and in doing so may on occasion air opinions that mirror those of the US government along with many that don't. 

If the US does find a need to place marine boots on Nigerian soil in order to prevent the present spate of oil pipeline demolitions from escalating into a total incapacitation of Nigeria's crude oil production and export infrastructure, then an argument could be made that somebody is needed to step up to the plate as global policeman with the combat equipment and technology to contain a situation that is fast getting too big for the Nigerian army and navy to handle down there in the creeks.  Many Nigerians, especially those who remember Nigeria's genocidal civil war of the late 1960's would welcome Uncle Sam into Nigeria's oil fields with open arms, should the alternative anarchy spread and intensify sufficiently to warrant outside intervention.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by anton(m): 6:30pm On Jun 21, 2006
Look. When the green berets/delta and seals go around the world training folks to do dirt work, one of their missions is to build lasting realtionships with promising young officers. The reason is this: Presidents come and go, but often the security structure that surrounds them stays in place thruout subsequent administrations. The qualifiying question you have to ask yourself is why would a certain goverment recieve support from the Snakes in the form of military training? Cost benefit analysis.

A couple of months ago, I posted a link back in my new user topic that leads to some of the policy i just decribed.

Jakumo:

Many Nigerians, especially those who remember Nigeria's genocidal civil war of the late 1960's would welcome Uncle Sam into Nigeria's oil fields with open arms, should the alternative anarchy spread and intensify sufficiently to warrant outside intervention.

That is what scares me.

Also, invasion is the wrong scenario. I don't think that they will "invade" nigeria in the same way as iraq. It will most likely be a scenario in which a foreign military presence is positioned in the gulf. It may be a un group. It may be an austro euro american force, or maybe just a permanent Wasp Class landing vessel permenantly in the area. Either way, because of the bad blood between the rebels and the federals, the cleansing of the area of delta folk by the foriegners will fall on deaf ears. In either casde, it will be a collaboration between the ruling classes of everyparty including the victim's.

The outcome of all of these senarios is the same: Erosion of what little soverignty we have in what is suposedly one of our strongest, guiding light nation states.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by Jakumo(m): 5:14pm On Jun 23, 2006
There is in fact a US naval presence in the Gulf of Guinea just off the coast of Nigeria's oil-rich Niger Delta as you have pointed out, Anton, and there is also close cooperation and intelligence sharing between the US and Nigerian militarys vis-a-vis the unrest and insurgency in the oil fields.  Considering the escalating threat to Nigeria's oil export jugular vein, that international military cooperation may be the country's best option to protect and preserve what is left of vital pipeline grids that are being blown up with alarming regularity by insurgents whose stated intentions are to trigger a financial meltdown of the Nigerian state.

The deployment of US military surveillance drones, training staff and ordnance in the Niger Delta does not erode Nigeria's sovereignty at all.  Help is needed by the Nigerian military in the Niger Delta, and her crude-oil trading partners are providing that assistance to ensure that long-overdue reparations to the people of the Niger Delta can be sought at the negotiating table rather than over the burning ruins of Nigeria's oil fields.   A low-key US presence in the Niger Delta is the cheaper option by anyone's score sheet, both monetarily and in human lives.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by anton(m): 9:28pm On Jun 23, 2006
Jakumo:

There is in fact a US naval presence in the Gulf of Guinea just off the coast of Nigeria's oil-rich Niger Delta as you have pointed out, Anton, and there is also close cooperation and intelligence sharing between the US and Nigerian militarys vis-a-vis the unrest and insurgency in the oil fields. Considering the escalating threat to Nigeria's oil export jugular vein, that international military cooperation may be the country's best option to protect and preserve what is left of vital pipeline grids that are being blown up with alarming regularity by insurgents whose stated intentions are to trigger a financial meltdown of the Nigerian state.

The deployment of US military surveillance drones, training staff and ordnance in the Niger Delta does not erode Nigeria's sovereignty at all. Help is needed by the Nigerian military in the Niger Delta, and her crude-oil trading partners are providing that assistance to ensure that long-overdue reparations to the people of the Niger Delta can be sought at the negotiating table rather than over the burning ruins of Nigeria's oil fields. A low-key US presence in the Niger Delta is the cheaper option by anyone's score sheet, both monetarily and in human lives.

Agreed.

But while you see "cooperation", let's remember who you are talkin about here. We can only hope that sam doesn't decide to start funding the other side or that, infact, he is not the other side. Such a development would not be good for the sovereignty of Nigeria. At this point in the game, we can only pray.
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by buy1get3(m): 9:19pm On Aug 02, 2011
ignorance people, mchewwwww
Re: Nigerian Scammers Setting The Stage For Terrorism? by tpia5: 11:15pm On Aug 02, 2011
obviously @ topic.

they're all working together.

(1) (Reply)

3 Men Defrauds Mtn Nigeria N11m / Goodluck Jonathan Is The Worst Candidate Out Of All The Aspirants / 'our President Has No Shoes' - Sam Omatseye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.