Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,762 members, 7,930,615 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 11:14 PM

Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School (33073 Views)

Nigerian Celebrities That Attend White Garment Churches (Photos) / 10 Incredibly Talented Celebrities Who Ruined Their Careers / Nigerian Celebrities That Are Still Virgins ( Photos ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by tspun(m): 5:58pm On May 03, 2013
guys stop foolin around, we have being there and back i dont see any big tin in sku.if dropping out of sku makes them happy i see notin wrong with it. After all not all graduate are happy with d condition they find their self. They saw wat is comin their way n probably they thought completin their education will delay their quest. I know if u had d oppurtunity u will do the same.

2 Likes

Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by talk2D: 5:59pm On May 03, 2013
Hmm...
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by PATOPROP(m): 5:59pm On May 03, 2013
Education is an added advantage to any of life achievements!!!
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by talk2D: 5:59pm On May 03, 2013
All of you; learn how to REASON!
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Barayeks(m): 6:09pm On May 03, 2013
Wunmi10: FYI - Wande Coal didn't Graduate from unilag .
true! Neither did psquare from uniabuja.... the Op is writing crap... they wanted to go back to school in 1999? When did they hit limelight?

1 Like

Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by dammytosh: 6:16pm On May 03, 2013
jackbauersballs:

WTF is Curriculum Studies?! angry

I wonder oo my brother. Please remove Wande from the list tentatively.
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by crackhaus: 6:22pm On May 03, 2013
That's really good to know about these artistes, considering the way Nigerians like to pride themselves on being university graduates. Come to think of it though, is there a successful Nigerian musician who studied an Engineering course or Medical Related course full time in a Nigerian University? All I'm seeing there is a list of graduates in social sciences and art courses, with the exception of Banky(didn't school in Nigeria) and Naeto(don't recall what I read about him).
Safe to say that students of mass com, business admin, language, music, theatre and so on can actually afford to chase musical careers while in school...that's just the way it is.. Don't quote me guys, I'm out of this thread
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Diasporan(m): 6:25pm On May 03, 2013
OP include Davido.Presently he is in Babcock University.I believe he will soon graduate perhaps this year or next
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by adami48(f): 6:32pm On May 03, 2013
Psquare never graduated from uni abj for ur information @Op they droped out like others too, even Peter was expelled due to cultism n dat was d end of it, bt u know money can buy certificates wit 1st class dis days so maybe they used there money bt as for gratuating, even them will call u a liar on this

@ wande coal maybe cos they had an album curriculum Vitae dat was why he said wande studied Curiculum studies, neva had of dat very funny....
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Temas: 6:46pm On May 03, 2013
manie:

Education. There are a lot of units or sub-departments in the Curriculum studies department.I think Wande read English/Education at UNILAG.
He didn't finished........ we gained admission same session.Was a roommate of a friend. always smoking and clubbing.
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by toronto419(m): 6:47pm On May 03, 2013
[quote author=aminho]In a season when some artistes are dropping out of school to embrace music, others have proved they could combine development of their talents with schooling, writes CHUX OHAI

Many years ago, parents didn’t like children who preferred a career in music to medicine, law or engineering. Musicians were generally regarded as occupying the lowest rung of the social ladder and, so, they were hardly respected.

Although they worked hard at their chosen vocations and sometimes, travelled far beyond these shores, many musicians were hardly seen as useful members of the society. Most of the time, they were dismissed as social misfits.

Unfortunately, time has not completely changed this perception. Nowadays, there appears to be an increase in the number of youths dropping out of school to take up a career in music. While some of them have always said their passion for music was the reason why they quit the classroom for the recording studio, others put the blame on poverty and other challenges.

But a courageous few have managed to resist the temptation to push aside their education and embrace the glamorous life style of music artistes. With some now armed with Master’s degrees in various disciplines, they have emerged as successful and highly respected artistes with a wide fan base across the country.

Banky W
Olubankole Wellington, aka Banky W, is one of the most popular music artistes in Nigeria today. He was born and educated in the USA. By the time he was eight years old, his musical talent had started to manifest. But his parents wanted him to pay attention to his education first. A few years later, he won a scholarship to attend college in New York and afterwards, bagged a degree in engineering at the Rensselaer Polytechnic.

While he was at the institution, Banky W kept pushing his dream to become a successful musician someday. Back home in Nigeria, he won the hearts of many music fans with his exceptionally smooth voice and, in due course, succeeded in winning a loyal followership.

Over the past years, the velvet-voiced singer has recorded a number of albums. He founded the Empire Mates Entertainment, a records label, as a platform to promote his music and to get it across to his fans in the country.

Apart from distinguishing himself as a charismatic musician, Banky W is a philanthropist and a civil rights activist. During the last nationwide protests against the removal of fuel subsidy, he played a key role in mobilising the youths to take part in the protest in Lagos.

Somehow, this talented artiste, whose career is on the rise, has managed to keep out of trouble. Till date, he has not been associated with any major scandal.

Tiwa Savage
Tiwa Savage is currently signed on to Mavin Records. She attended Berklee College of Music where she studied Jazz and took a degree in music business. Also, she has a degree in business administration from the University of Kent in the United Kingdom.

She began her music career n the UK, touring as a background singer for the likes of Mary J. Blige, Sting, George Michael, Kelly Clarkson and the Spice Girls. Before then, she had worked briefly as a trainee accountant in a commercial bank in London.

A successful artiste in her own right, Tiwa co-wrote Fantasia Barrino’s ‘Collard Greens and Cornbread’, which was nominated for the American Grammy Award. This is perhaps, one of her most important achievements. Apart from that, she has released two single albums titled Love Me and Kele Kele Love. Last February, she got married to her long time business partner, Tee Billz.

Naeto C
Naetochukwu Chikwe is the son of the Nigerian Ambassador to Ireland, Mrs. Kema Chikwe. He graduated in 2004 from the George Washington University with a Master’s degree in Biology and still nurses the desire to become a medical doctor. In 2008 and 2009, he was named Best New Artist at the MTV Africa Music Awards.

Darey Art-Alade
Darey Art-Alade is the son of the legendary Jazz musician, Art Alade. He is what you may call a ‘chip off the old block’. Obviously, he had taken after his father at an early age singing in church choirs and was a member of the National Troupe of Nigeria Choir at a point.

Darey has been a disc jockey, TV presenter, entertainment consultant, voice-over artist and performing/recording artist at different times, before hitting it big on the music scene. His break finally came in 2004 at the Project Fame Academy. He participated in that edition of the reality TV talent hunt show and had the opportunity to perform in front of millions of viewers. He emerged third in the contest.

Unknown to many music fans, this talented artiste graduated from the University of Lagos where he studied Music. In 2011, he was the host of both the Gulder Ultimate Search and Glo Naija Sings reality. So far, he has three albums to his credit.
Ok next topic plessss
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Nobody: 7:18pm On May 03, 2013
Degree be it university or polytechnic is not a MUST for everybody.......

There are millions of Nigerians that have university degree and can't do a single thing with it....

We have biochemists that can't purify water...

We have civil engineers that can't build us roads and drainages, that most times, expatriates have to be called to do these jobs.

What then is the essence of degree when there is no effect on the country's well-being?

So whether a musician/artist drops-out is irrelevant to music.......

I don't care whether wizkid finished school or not... What I care about is good music......

Once again, let's not bother ourselves with trivialities.

2 Likes

Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by meforyou1(m): 7:21pm On May 03, 2013
P square dropped out of university of abuja. Both of them
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by baqina(m): 7:21pm On May 03, 2013
I read an interview in d past where Wande Coal said he didn't finish from Unilag..also, Naeto C said he had Msc in oil and gas economics.
Their is huge difference btw education and certificates.
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by micki83(m): 7:28pm On May 03, 2013
K_ONE: [Help! Help!! Help!!!
Lol...u don buy market!oya sorry;stop crying.make una pity d poor boi,abeg!cheesy
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by cr7lomo: 8:04pm On May 03, 2013
D reason we r not movin 4ward in dis country is because of f.o.o.ls like a lot of u guys. Evritin must b argued on NL. Hw many celebrities abroad went 2 skool. Msheeewww
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 03, 2013
hail toto and prick
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Mercyraheem: 8:11pm On May 03, 2013
scobaba: I'm still trying to understand how a seemingly intelligent guy like ICE PRINCE dropped out of university.

I feel its easier to drop out of secondary school than university.

Also, Naeto C obtained B.Tech in Bio-Engineering(or sometyn like dat).
The M.Sc was in Energy Economics from a school in UK(Univ of Dundee I think)
univ. Of dundee is in scotland and not uk
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 03, 2013
Mercyraheem: univ. Of dundee is in scotland and not uk

I apologise for my ignorance but I thought four states make up UK- England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales?

I also thought that UK can be used in place of the names of the nation mentioned?

3 Likes

Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by 32D: 8:21pm On May 03, 2013
cURRICULUM STUDIES?? DIES
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by ceejayluv(m): 8:25pm On May 03, 2013
Hehehe....

1 Like

Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Pinkybush: 8:28pm On May 03, 2013
Wat abt my role model - 2face?
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Afam4eva(m): 8:32pm On May 03, 2013
Lmaogrin Bros, so which countries make up the UK?

1 Like

Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Pinkybush: 8:32pm On May 03, 2013
Am new on nairaland and I've a topic 2 share, plz how do I post it
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Afam4eva(m): 8:34pm On May 03, 2013
Education is important but university education is overated. You musn't go to a university to be successful. Just be educated ay what you do. Datz all.

1 Like

Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Afam4eva(m): 8:37pm On May 03, 2013
Pinkybush: Am new on nairaland and I've a topic 2 share, plz how do I post it
Just go to the section where you wanna post it and click on "New Topic".
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by plainmirror(m): 8:59pm On May 03, 2013
†нэ list is incomplete. Where is plainmirror
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Nobody: 9:02pm On May 03, 2013
You're daft .....what regions/nations constitute the United Kingdom
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 03, 2013
Op,the issue with your post is that most of them,if not all,finished schooling in yankee b4 becoming stars! Abeg,take mo'cheddah out of that list! Let's face facts,if we all knew the education system would collapse this much,wouldn't we all opt out?? By now,i woulda been α makeup artist and tara and banke no go near me sef tongue and we wld all be our bosses!! Pple av skills,theirs is music and it pays their bills! All d skul wey person dey go,no be 2make money? Let's face fact! If i knew it was gonna be like this,after second school,mehn end of skul!
PS: this doznt apply to intellects tho! Our lecturers et al.

1 Like

Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by basisop(m): 9:20pm On May 03, 2013

Univ. Of Lagos is in Nigeria and not west africa.

Don't mind them abeg! This is how they come here to confuse us cheesy grin
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by fonssy(f): 9:22pm On May 03, 2013
Wow! Thumps up for Tiwa. She has gone far and wide.
Re: Talented Celebrities That Refused To Drop-Out From School by basisop(m): 9:23pm On May 03, 2013

Bros you be real "dundee"!!!
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Foluke Daramola Celebrates Her 40th Birthday With Stunning Photos / Bobrisky Gives Cash To 3 Fans Who Drew His Tattoo On Their Bodies (Video) / Police Allegedly Shoots Nigerian Artist On His Way To Headies Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.