Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,740 members, 7,882,548 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 08:27 AM

Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers (8615 Views)

More Questions Than Answers, "Step It Up Mr. President" / More Questions Than Answers, "Step It Up Mr. President" / CONSPIRACY Theories:the Woolwich Killing More Questions Than Answers – Fani-kayo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by guy1234: 9:21pm On May 04, 2013
2013-05-03 23:00:50

Since my last trip on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, I've been asking myself one question: Why has it been difficult for government to perform its primary responsibility?

Government has been spending so much money on Public Relations, but there's no better way to create a good image than the fulfilment of promises to the people. Roads like the Lagos-Ibadan expressway have given the authorities one bad name: Liars.

Nigerians were promised a pie in the sky five months ago, when the expressway concession was revoked amid allegations by the Infrastructure Concession and Regulatory Agency and the concessionaire, Bi-Courtney, that government was largely responsible for the delay in the execution of the project. Nobody would have believed that the road would remain a bad experience for Nigerians after all the noise made by the Ministry of Works.

The only thing going on now, on the road, is the collection of all manner of revenues by officials of the ministry who are, everywhere along the 105km stretch, milking the people and making so much money that is probably going into some private pockets, while the road is left to rot.

The federal authorities have been grossly irresponsible when it comes to keeping this road safe and smooth for motorists.

The promised emergency rehabilitation of the road by Julius Berger and Reynolds Construction Company was abandoned barely two weeks after it began, even though it was reported that funds had already been voted for this purpose. Now, there are frequent reports of gridlocks on the road, with commuters spending several hours, sometimes a whole day, on a journey that should, ordinarily, not take longer than one and a half hours.

In all this, what I find most disconcerting is the seeming conspiracy of silence among the South-West political elite, as well as the failure of the populace to ask government probing questions concerning the handling of the road, starting from when the revocation of the concession agreement with Bi-Courtney was announced.

For instance, I would like to know why the South-West governors are less vocal now, unlike when Bi-Courtney was in charge of the road. The level of carnage on the expressway is still very high.

Or is it that the lives of Nigerians that were so important to the governors and the others then, have suddenly become much less important after they had succeeded in getting rid of Bi-Courtney.

When the Minister of Works, Mike Onolomemen, announced the cancellation of the agreement with Bi-Courtney, he claimed that government was taking the step because the concessionaire had failed to do any work on the road since the agreement was signed in 2009. He also gave the assurance that the contract for the immediate rehabilitation of the road, to be completed by January this year, had already been awarded.

The deceit in the promise of ensuring immediate relief for road users by the government had already been exposed by the persisting parlous and perilous state of the all-important expressway. As for the claim by the minister that Bi-Courtney did zero work on the road, I remember that the company had countered the minister by making reference to an interview in which he was quoted as commending the company for the palliative works done then.

The minister was quoted in the article, published in Saturday PUNCH of September 17, 2011, as follows: "I saw the concessionaire handling the road and he briefed me about some problems on the road, which according to him are being resolved now. But I had to also instruct him that in 60 days, I wanted all potholes on that road fixed so that road users can use the road without hardship. I am happy to say that to a very large extent, the concessionaire has complied. I am saying this because a few days ago, the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, called me while driving through that road in the night, about 8pm and said, 'Congratulations, your ultimatum is working. For the first time I am seeing a Nigerian contractor working with floodlights in the night, patching potholes and all that'. I think that is a very good development."

Also, Bi-Courtney consistently maintained that the Federal Government's reluctance to endorse certain reviews it proposed to the original agreement was among the reasons for the delay in commencing reconstruction work on the road and ICRC affirmed same in its 2011 annual report, published in the media.

The report states in part: "It is evident that the scope of the work was not fully documented and outline design provided before the concession was awarded. Without an agreed design and scope of works based on the grantor's performance and output standards, there cannot be an agreed fixed cost for the project. Without a financial model setting out the expected project costs and revenues, financing costs cannot be determined. The cost of the project as included in the concession agreement was not based on the necessary studies (e.g. traffic forecast) required for the implementation of a road project through DBOT model. And due to the issues identified above, the project could not raise finance from any credible investor. This made it impossible for the concessionaire to meet the conditions precedent as itemised in Article3.3 of the concession agreement."

Finally, the report also appeared to have vindicated Bi-Courtney's position that the Federal Government should get the blame for delay in the project, when it confirmed that the approval for a final design of the road was granted by government on May 10, 2011, two years after the concession agreement was signed.

I have not read anywhere that either the minister or any other representative of the Federal Government has denied any of these reports. Yet no one is asking questions.

oAde wrote via femsmo@yahoo.com

link=http://www.punchng.com/opinion/lagos-ibadan-expressway-more-questions-than-answers/

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by ochukoccna: 8:32am On May 05, 2013
guy1234: Yet no one is asking questions.
Even on Nairaland too undecided
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by baynix(m): 9:36am On May 05, 2013
Because He Is Clueless!! Lobatan!

1 Like

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by Pukkah: 9:51am On May 05, 2013
That road is the busiest interstate highway in the South West. It also links Lagos, the nation's commercial capital, to the North, South East and South South.

It goes directly to Ibadan, the largest city in this part, from where you can connect other parts of the South West.

The alternatives to this road are too narrow, too bad or too unsafe.

Yet, this road has been abandoned since the 70s when it was constructed and in spite of greater use brought about by the explosion in population.

The road has consumed so many lives and maimed many individuals. Armed robbers operate at will. Beggars transact their business! And hawkers make brisk sales at the bad spots! Tanker/trucks accidents occur daily wasting cargoes, fuel, and human lives.

The neglect has not been by only the Jonathan government but by all the governments before it. This is why many people have become used to the notion that 'our government is useless and irresponsible' and have stopped making noise.

The people get by with prayers and with the hope that one day, the 'useless government' will remember the road.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by babaowo: 11:18am On May 05, 2013
honestly is a pity,in this modern day that we suppose be talking of various ways of transportantion,c'mon road its hard for naija government to achieve with millions tons of bitumen flowing away in ondo state,...... Nigeria the hell on earth.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by effisyman: 11:25am On May 05, 2013
Suffering and smiling.

Nigerians will rather die in penury than fight for freedom and development.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by dridowu: 11:33am On May 05, 2013
I think there is no question because we already know the answer , the answer is " all hands are on desk, we will surely fix the road before 2015 ,i can assure you on that "
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by bestower: 11:34am On May 05, 2013
The road is not as difficult as u guys are thinking of to do,its just a simple task,let one of them or their family travel thru the road and had an accident or witness any traffic gridlock within somedays after d experience they will certainly find ways to put it in order.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by confusion247(m): 11:35am On May 05, 2013
baynix: Because He Is Clueless!! Lobatan!
What did OBASANJO do on that road for eight years he was on the throne? What did OBASANJO do to Shagamu-Ore-Benin road? Is Obasanjo Clueless too or not?

9 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by alaoeri: 11:37am On May 05, 2013
@Op pls who are we to blame in this scenario?
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by Kairoseki77: 11:39am On May 05, 2013
You can't steal money from a completed project.

Politicians make money by endlessly awarding contracts and stealing all the money.

Therefore, it's against the governments interest to complete the road.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by Nobody: 11:42am On May 05, 2013
Please, What time is Man-U vs.Chelsea Match?

5 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by CarCam: 11:45am On May 05, 2013
torhuke: Please, What time is Man-U vs.Chelsea Match?

4:00 PM or 16:00 (WAT)
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by aminho(m): 12:03pm On May 05, 2013
Welcome to Nigeria
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by holyvirgin: 12:04pm On May 05, 2013
Thievnubu and fashola keeps extorting money from motorists without fixing those roads.
So why collect money when you expect FG to fix the road? Rubbish lagosians should hold fashola responsible for the bad roads jare
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by DaLover(m): 12:08pm On May 05, 2013
I believe his road will be fixed, just that here are so many projects competing for funds right now, hat they have to be prioritized, unfortunately I don't know what priority this road falls under or how the minister has prioritized the major roads in the country , but I certainly believe it will be done sooner than later.
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by Toktee(m): 12:16pm On May 05, 2013
The answer to the question iz that pdp has no footing in this part of the country,therefore they cannot execute a project to the glory of oppositions,you guys should waite after 2015 the road will be constructed by the APC government.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by yeboyes: 12:19pm On May 05, 2013
Many Nigerians voted ,enjoy your FRESH AIR and stop complaining.2015 is around the corner ,Nigerians will take bribes and vote for Jonathan again.If Nigerians keep doing the same thing ,Nigerians will keep getting the same results.It is not rocket science it is common sense,something that 95% of Nigerians lack.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 05, 2013
That road is not as bad as before. Two construction companies did remedial work on the road between December 2012 and January this year.

However, full reconstruction of the road will commence this year because the road is one of the priority projects in the 2013 budget according to the ministry of works.
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by yinchar(m): 12:26pm On May 05, 2013
holyvirgin: Thievnubu and fashola keeps extorting money from motorists without fixing those roads.
So why collect money when you expect FG to fix the road? Rubbish lagosians should hold fashola responsible for the bad roads jare
Stop exposing you moral ignorance on this issue, stop attacking people that are not responsible for the state of the road, only if Nigerians knows that this particular road is budgeted for year in year out with nothing to show for it...and am very sure it won't be fixed this year also...

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by idriis: 12:37pm On May 05, 2013
Thank God say my Dubai runs don click... Astala Naijacheesygrincheesygrin

You guys shouldn't worry, I will still be y'all here on Nairalandgrin
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by Nobody: 12:43pm On May 05, 2013
yinchar:
Stop exposing you moral ignorance on this issue, stop attacking people that are not responsible for the state of the road, only if Nigerians knows that this particular road is budgeted for year in year out with nothing to show for it...and am very sure it won't be fixed this year also...
"only if Nigerians knows that this particular road is budgeted for year in year out with nothing to show for it"

Now, show us any link that the Lagos-Ibadan road is budgeted for "year in year out" in the last 4yrs. If you dont, then you'r a DEVILISH LIAR. I'm waiting.

How can the same road that was concessioned by Yar Adua to Bi-courtney also appear in the budget? Anyway, show us any report to prove your statement above.
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by yeboyes: 12:44pm On May 05, 2013
All these politicians regardless of whether they belong to PDP ,APC,ACN or CPC are led by mostly corrupt leaders.The only way forward for Nigeria is for us to press the restart button and do away with all these current politicians.We must allow a new breed to run the country. This is will not come easy as blood will need to flow for us to be totally free of these elitist class of politicians. For Nigeria to be truly free,there will be need for a bloody revolution,many do not want to talk about this and think it is unnecessary but the fact is that it is necessary.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by peleson: 12:51pm On May 05, 2013
Lagos - benin road is 90% completed with road marks. We have worst roads with deep n large wash offs on some part of the country than lagos-ibadan. That road has only little breakage n very light wash off. No where along lagos-ibadan express will you see a deep pot hole or wash off capable of breaking or stalking your vehicle. You cannot see a red or white sand underneth the wash offs, you only see concrete , so the road is not a dead trap compared to what we call dead traps in nigerian roads as the writer wants us to believe. FERMA is visibly covering the pot-holes as noticed travelling to n fro ibadan .
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by miqos02(m): 12:56pm On May 05, 2013
dridowu: I think there is no question because we already know the answer , the answer is " all hands are on desk, we will surely fix the road before 2015 ,i can assure you on that "
a committee will also be set up ascertain why the road has not been fixed
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by yeboyes: 1:05pm On May 05, 2013
I see my post has been hidden because the moderators are paid Jonathan apologist and hence do want me to motivate the people of Nigeria to violently rebel against the government.What are you people scared of ? If your boss Jonathan was a good leader why is he so scared and paranoid? Why did he refuse to say Amen when corrupt politicians were being cursed?

People are tired and they are mobilizing,i am proud to say that i am mobilizing and training people too for the final showdown.I am one Nigerian who is not scared of the Government.By the time we launch our assault the Arab spring will be like a picnic.

I do not believe in elections instead i believe in revolution.Revolution solves problems.A violent rebellion that sees the execution of all past and present politicians regardless of party affiliation will solve Nigeria's problems.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by addey(m): 1:18pm On May 05, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: That road is not as bad as before. Two construction companies did remedial work on the road between December 2012 and January this year.

However, full reconstruction of the road will commence this year because the road is one of the priority projects in the 2013 budget according to the ministry of works.

May God work on your life as GEJ works on our road in Jesus name. Amen

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by CyberG: 1:38pm On May 05, 2013
addey:

May God work on your life as GEJ works on our road in Jesus name. Amen

Evil satanists like insincere9gerians hardly believe in God but all the same, Nigerians say AMEN on his behalf!

1 Like

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by guy1234: 1:50pm On May 05, 2013
I can't just understand this.I schooled in OAU from 2004 till 2010,had always hoped d road will be fixed. probably next semester was the answer I usually come up with.3 years after Graduation,still same story.Bottom line is I don't think we citizens are valued by our leaders. Question to their supporters is:If theses leaders were actually ur parents,how would you view them? Loving or what,whit all they have at their dispossal.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by Felixandra: 2:03pm On May 05, 2013
God help us in this country!
Re: Lagos-ibadan Expressway: More Questions Than Answers by jnrremedy(m): 2:22pm On May 05, 2013
peleson: Lagos - benin road is 90% completed with road marks. We have worst roads with deep n large wash offs on some part of the country than lagos-ibadan. That road has only little breakage n very light wash off. No where along lagos-ibadan express will you see a deep pot hole or wash off capable of breaking or stalking your vehicle. You cannot see a red or white sand underneth the wash offs, you only see concrete , so the road is not a dead trap compared to what we call dead traps in nigerian roads as the writer wants us to believe. FERMA is visibly covering the pot-holes as noticed travelling to n fro ibadan .
I was actually waiting for a true user of the road to comment. it is very evident that those that have commented so far (including the poster) dnt no anytin about dat road . I dnt understand why some nigerians like portraying this country in bad light. If u re a frequent traveller on that road u will definitely no that this write up is a cheap propaganda. Since I ve been travelling on dat road (I still passed tru d road last 2 wks) even before any repair work started I ve never for once experience any form of traffic caused as a result of the bad state of the road. And I ve never heard of an traveller spending more than 3-4hrs on that road. The only time people were held in traffic(except for d normal metropolitan traffic in ibadan axis nd lagos axis)on dat road for more than 12 hrs was during the nation wide flood nd dat affected other roads of the federation. It might be true that d road is nt in its best shape it is however nowhere near d picture d poster is painting. That road is still much very motorable. I tire for Nigerian journalist oo it is very clear that d poster is either a staff of bi courtney or he is on their payroll

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Imo Civil Servants Strike Over Govt's Insensitivity To Their Welfare / Why The North Is Not Responding To Charlie Hebdo Cartoons / Autonomy Of Local Governments In Nigeria: A Notion In Need Of Reiteration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.