Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,642 members, 7,889,081 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 10:18 PM

Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? (16862 Views)

My Uncle's Wife Served Him Food Without Kneeling Down; Disrepectful!! / Wife Insisted I Greet Her After She Have Given Me Food / Kneeling Down To Beg Your Spouse After A Fight. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by MrAboki: 4:47pm On May 07, 2013
dayokanu:

Marks on face are way better than marks on the brain you carry about. No wonder grown men from your side tie wrapper like women.

Is that to cover their chronic hernia or what?

[size=13pt]You see! This is why inbreeding is highly discouraged. [/size]
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by freecocoa(f): 4:51pm On May 07, 2013
Seriously Dayo?

Onye Aboki what's your own na?

Na wa 4 una o.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 4:51pm On May 07, 2013
smiley
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 07, 2013
Mr Aboki:

[size=13pt]You see! This is why inbreeding is highly discouraged. [/size]
You see! To understand some people's culture in Nigeria, one have to start watching animal planet... Mr Aboki's culture inclusive :p

2 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 07, 2013
Candour: they've almost succeeded in turning this to another yoruba-Igbo bashing thread......me that is from one and married to an angel from the other,wetin make i do now cry cry

Pls tribal warlords,can't we enjoy this discussion in peace

Na beg i dey beg o

What's left to enjoy? A woman marrying into another tribe should be prepared for its challenges , she said it herself that there're many of them greeting the old lady at same time. @colgate came here for simple answer; 1. should she stay on the ground or 2. wait until she's instructed to get up.

My flabbergasted quest thus; why would any right thinking human being expect the old lady to swoop her off the floor?? Even if her husband is the only child and the Fanandez breadwinner of that whole extended family?? It doesn't work that way oh!
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by haitto99(m): 4:56pm On May 07, 2013
any woman dat cnt respect my mother go fight me o

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by dayokanu(m): 4:59pm On May 07, 2013
kofsy:
You see! To understand some people's culture in Nigeria, one have to start watching animal planet... Mr Aboki's culture inclusive :p

Spot on.

Na cultureless people dey always feel uncomfortable around cultured people.Thats why it was Ajayi Crowther who even taught them how to read and write

4 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by bababuff(m): 5:22pm On May 07, 2013
alutacontinua:

Some people are to engrossed in the tradition that they wouldn't go all 'rise rise' like that. They even want to notice if the two knees touch the ground very well. undecided It doesn't mean they're bad mother-in-laws, though...that's just how they are.

You are right. Maybe the mother in-law made her stay longer because she is not Yoruba. That way she would appreciate the culture. smiley
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by PopupBlocker: 5:42pm On May 07, 2013
coldgate: Hi,

I need clarification on this aspect of yoruba culture. When a daughter-in-law goes on her knees to greet a mother-in-law,
when is she expected to get up? Is a wife expected to kneel untill asked to rise? I am from an entirely different part of Nigeria where we only courtesy to show respect. Should the wife feel slighted when her actions are barely acknowledged? How should she proceed? Thank you!

Knee down, greet and rise. Simple.

No need to complicate something so simple.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by PopupBlocker: 5:45pm On May 07, 2013
Is Mr. aboki an ediot?

Ujujoan said she hates Yoruba people and you're asking another person why he's bitter?

Lol @ dayokanu wasting time to glorify him with a response.

I'd have flicked the bytchh azz nigga off and kept walking.

2 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Agrika: 6:14pm On May 07, 2013
If you dont kneeel down for her, then who will you kneel down for, she gave birth to your spouse for God sake.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 07, 2013
Popup Blocker: Is Mr. aboki an ediot?

Ujujoan said she hates Yoruba people and you're asking another person why he's bitter?

Lol @ dayokanu wasting time to glorify him with a response.

I'd have flicked the bytchh azz nigga off and kept walking.
Ujujoan saying she hates Yoruba people as regards what is being discussed, authomatically means she hates obeisance because there could be other ways in other tribes by which a young woman shows respect to elders. I pity the person you'll marry in advance.

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 07, 2013
cdamsel: respect or no respect d igbo's ve more lasting marriages dan the yoruba's,don't turn dis 2 a tribal battle,cos im all up 4 it angry

In d real sense d woman shd ve Acknowledge her @ least

If I go 2 my mom's side & knee down na money dey go use tell me 2 stand up,yet she dey knee down 4 free she no happy angry angry she beta ve a good excuse 4 dat act ohhhhhh
the marriages last because it is too expensive to have a divorce
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 6:36pm On May 07, 2013
We shouldn't turn this to another thing, it is a function of many thing and only wise can discern that
The yoruba believed in culture and they remain strictly glue to it
Read between the line instead of jumping to conclusion
If I may ask is that your first time of greeting her?
In short this is far beyond what we have seen
Their might be an issue between you too
Sorry if I might have offended you
But knee and get up is the answer except their is anything else

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by PopupBlocker: 6:38pm On May 07, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Ujujoan saying she hates Yoruba people as regards what is being discussed, authomatically means she hates obeisance because there could be other ways in other tribes by which a young woman shows respect to elders. I pity the person you'll marry in advance.

Then you don't know Uju.
Anytime something Yoruba pops up, she says the same thing
I've learned to ignore this section of NL because its full of frustrated married women forced to marry their last options
If no be public laundry day, na tribal frustration

It's okay to hate a tribe because of their traditional physical symbol of respect? Lol okay

7 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by StateOfMind: 6:54pm On May 07, 2013
phermonyx:
I dont knw if its right for me to feel disappointed in u cos i dont knw u in person bt i am and maybe it cos i av read some of ur comments before and they were a million times more sensible than what dis. The 2nd line of ur statement was absolutely nt necessary.
@OP, pls dont listen to those that r already tagging ur mother-in-law as a bad person cos they dont knw her and most of dem are d kinda pple dat wld remain glued to d floor if they ever get a chance to meet a mother-in-law in dia life, greet her, show her d kind of respect u would ur mom(she is ur 2nd mom now) and all shld be well.
All is well...........stay cool

I had the same feeling when I read her post and had to recheck the user name to be sure it was ujujoan and not babyosisi or sth. The second statement was really uncalled for.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by highlife10(f): 7:00pm On May 07, 2013
Just signed up here yay!!! I guess the kneeling thing is for the yorubas, because igbos do not really kneel to greet their elders.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 7:22pm On May 07, 2013
Dayokanu murked the thread!! grin grin

I didn't know certain culture(s) wake their parents up with sliding tackles in naija... grin Damn!! I see why most Super Eagles players are crude when it comes to tackling other players... grin grin

Hysterical thread!! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by biolabee(m): 8:02pm On May 07, 2013
Popup Blocker:

Then you don't know Uju.
I've learned to ignore this section of NL because its full of frustrated married women forced to marry their last options

It's okay to hate a tribe because of their traditional physical symbol of respect? Lol okay

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by BABE3: 8:09pm On May 07, 2013
Popup Blocker:

Then you don't know Uju.

2 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by r231(m): 8:10pm On May 07, 2013
coogar: how did this beautiful thread degenerate into another tribal war?

Beats me too undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by babymama3: 8:36pm On May 07, 2013
@ the poster,I would have thought that one marrying into a different culture would ask questions from the spouse regarding some cultures that are alien to them.
he is the best person to give you advise on what to do here and the type of mother he has so that if the old woman fusses at a future time that she is not being "worshipped" properly by her daughter in law ,you would have him on your side.
Most MIL's don't get along with their DIL anyway and coming from a different culture it will always be used against you when things don't go right
There is also this need for women married to other cultures to over compensate and over do things at the initial stages in their bid to be accepted,not a wise thing to do,it will come back to bite you when you decide to be real but if you can sustain it,good for you.i have heard of women that even kneel to sisters in law and husband's relatives younger than them just because they married into the family.
I will never do that.

My advice

As my mama advised me privately during my engagement ,she said " Ada m ,love and respect your husband and his people but whatever you know you cannot sustain in your marriage don't ever start it."
That is wisdom speaking
I hope to pass on that advise to my daughter
If I were married to a Yoruba culture,I would bow and greet the older folks as they do but will never kneel.
I don't kneel for my parents or to any man and sure will not kneel to any MIL.
Doesn't mean I don't love and respect them,some kneel and cuss them out under their breath grin grin but I guess the outward appearance of kneeling even when I can't stand you is more important.
That will be my method from day one so that those who like me will and those who don't will know that is my style.
So ask your husband what you should do to please his mother and if it something you can do,do it,if not,do it your way and they will just have to take you like you are.

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by stankezzy: 9:26pm On May 07, 2013
konn:

go and sit down mumu ibos that can call their mother and father by name no single atom of respect is it too much to kneel down and greet a woman that gave birth to ur husband? senseless fellow
lip service/pretending life.kneel down for who,u be God.Yoruba nd this their useless culture.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by stankezzy: 9:31pm On May 07, 2013
konn:

go and sit down mumu ibos that can call their mother and father by name no single atom of respect is it too much to kneel down and greet a woman that gave birth to ur husband? senseless fellow
lip service/pretending life.kneel down for who,u be God.Yoruba nd this their useless culture.they fot tell am make she roll for ground or make she do frog jump before they go accept greeting.yaribas are so full of wickedness that they can kneel down many times still be planning how to kill that same person they are kneeling for.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by armyofone(m): 9:38pm On May 07, 2013
All the trado/culture over the top do it this/that way didn't help Nigeria to be the most advance country in the world.

just goodmorning 'ma'm' is enough.
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by stankezzy: 9:45pm On May 07, 2013
Ayoakinkahunsi: We shouldn't turn this to another thing, it is a function of many thing and only wise can discern that
The yoruba believed in culture and they remain strictly glue to it
Read between the line instead of jumping to conclusion
If I may ask is that your first time of greeting her?
In short this is far beyond what we have seen
Their might be an issue between you too
Sorry if I might have offended you
But knee and get up is the answer except their is anything else
which culture,i do not know u have a reterded brain.useless ancient culture.all the world are mordeniding,ur people are here talking about dead culture.do u tjink wearing suit is english mans culture,go nd read jullius ceasers invertion of britain.when chinesse,indian,even japaneese are becoming modernize,u are here talking about dead tins
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by dayokanu(m): 9:47pm On May 07, 2013
stankezzy: which culture,i do not know u have a reterded brain.useless ancient culture.all the world are mordeniding,ur people are here talking about dead culture.do u tjink wearing suit is english mans culture,go nd read jullius ceasers invertion of britain.when chinesse,indian,even japaneese are becoming modernize,u are here talking about dead tins

Some education would benefit you in a lot of ways.

Its easy to spot Alaba "markate" posters on here

4 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by freecocoa(f): 9:53pm On May 07, 2013
Lmoa grin grin grin.

Wtf is "mordeniding"?

1 Like

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by devour129: 9:54pm On May 07, 2013
Dis Guy:

no, especially as the in law is from another part of the country, no biggie, you either kneel and greet up or kneel until shes acknowledge, don't read meanings into everything, she might just be greeting some other people as well or doing other things

i know some people kneel to greet their elders whilst on the phone 6000 miles away grin
lmao you just made my nite
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by PopupBlocker: 9:55pm On May 07, 2013
dayokanu:

Some education would benefit you in a lot of ways.

Its easy to spot Alaba "markate" posters on here

Lmaooooo grin
Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by Nobody: 10:06pm On May 07, 2013
stankezzy: lip service/pretending life.kneel down for who,u be God.Yoruba nd this their useless culture.they fot tell am make she roll for ground or make she do frog jump before they go accept greeting.yaribas are so full of wickedness that they can kneel down many times still be planning how to kill that same person they are kneeling for.

Why can't you lot respect other people's culture(s)? Is that too difficult to do?

FYI, there are tons of cultures around Africa and in world where they practice something similar to that...

Anyway, go preach your dimwitted and git-esque pseudo-modern gibberish to Obama and tell him to stop bowing down to other world leaders.. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Kneeling Down To Greet Mother-in-law: Oddity Or Obeisance? by devour129: 10:06pm On May 07, 2013
Ujujoan:

You should just kneel and stand up, no need to wait for her to ask you to rise! undecided

This is another thing I hate about 'those people'. . . . Bunch of hypocrites. Like kneeling down to greet will make them live longer. Tufiakwa!

God pls make me an Ibo again in my next life! cool cool cheesy
my dear I believe you have never had anything to do with Yoruba people for you to say this.am Igbo to but I won't trade my Yoruba friends for anything or anybody on earth.i schooled in ife and had the opportunity to interact with core Yorubas from different states. They have a very open heart, respectful and there guys are hot. All in all they are not all hypocrites,they have the good and bad just like us igbos and I love the fact that they continue to preserve their language and culture

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story / How Not To Train Your Child / Why Do Siblings Become Less Friendly When They Grow?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.