Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,856 members, 7,899,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 05:16 AM

Nigerian Weddings: The Modern Bride’s Take On The Engagement List - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerian Weddings: The Modern Bride’s Take On The Engagement List (609 Views)

Marriage Proposal: Does The Quality Of The Engagement Ring Matter? / I Feel Disappointed. Should I Call Off The Engagement? / After Breakup: Who Gets The Engagement Ring? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Weddings: The Modern Bride’s Take On The Engagement List by LecturerIFE: 10:26am On May 11, 2013
In the days of old, engagement list items were fairly static, but perhaps differing in quantity and maybe quality. You would see the usual tubers of yam, palm oil, bible and suitcases full of fabric.

Well, the modern Nigerian bride is not being bound by tradition. You can peruse the engagement list of a yuppy bride of 2013 and not surprisingly find the tubers of yam and the bible. But you may just do a double take when you come across “a white iPad mini”

Here are some of the items I have either seen on a list or heard about:-

Samsung S3 Phone
Louis Vuitton Bag
Louboutin Pigalle Shoes
Guiseppe Zanotti Sandals
It may seem somewhat mercenary or a shift away from tradition but I completely understand what these savvy young ladies are thinking. If, her husband to be and his family must buy gifts for her, it may as well be something she wants and/or will actually use. What will she actually do with suitcases upon suitcase filled with lace or Ankara (which probably won’t be to her taste)? Why not get that gadget or handbag she’s been lusting after for months. I believe this is the thought process of the modern Nigerian bride when it comes to her engagement gift list. I know I’ll certainly be doing the same when the time comes.

Curled from: http://www.femmelounge.org/nigerian-weddings-the-modern-brides-take-on-the-engagement-list/

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Love And Lust In A Relationship / What's The Age A Man Should Be Before Starting A Serious Relationship? / 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.