Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,913 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:32 AM

Which Is More Viable; Mutual Funds Or Buying Stock - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Which Is More Viable; Mutual Funds Or Buying Stock (1521 Views)

Mutual Funds / Mutual Funds In Nigeria: Please Share Your Experience / Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is More Viable; Mutual Funds Or Buying Stock by yemisa: 4:05pm On Apr 21, 2008
Whichis the right form of investment ? is it buying of shares through your stock broker or mutual fund application through banks and investment companies.
Re: Which Is More Viable; Mutual Funds Or Buying Stock by OscarJ1(m): 4:45pm On Apr 21, 2008
I think both investment are good depending on ur risk appetite. reason:

lets do a brief defination:

Direct Stocks: Singular investment with high risk, u r exposed to all the risk available in the market as at then n u r exposed to all the profit u can grab as well but u must be knowledgeable abt the market.

Mutual Funds: Is a combination of various investment vehicle i.e Stocks, real estate, Bonds, T-bills, Fixed income instument etc. (Diversification). it as well depends on the type of fund u r getting into ( Balanced or Aggressive) it goes as far as balancing btw risk n return.

For example: A&B makes investment, A goes for mutual funds while B goes for Stocks. so if there is a deep in the market A will not be hit as bad as B would.

If u r a regular player in the market (capital) by now u would ve known n understand the trend of the market. when the market is bullish u make super abnormal returns than u will make in a mutual fund n when the market is bearish u make less return than u would in a mutual fund. Basicly mutual funds r safer for the long time cos majority of them are properly managed by fund manager.

I can go on n on abt this cos i love mutual funds.

lets read other opinion as well.
Re: Which Is More Viable; Mutual Funds Or Buying Stock by lermy(m): 12:43pm On Apr 22, 2008
Mutual Funds, i'll say is less risky and of course there's diversification and my opinion about funds generally is that , its for the passive investor, not everyone has the time to deal with the Stock market, so funds could be a good alternative for such people,
As aone of my good teachers say, As the stock market rises funds rises and also as it falls so do funds, i'll like you to try and monotor that statement urself,

But as for me i love the Stock so, much because i love taking risk and i mean Worth risks, so its basically ur risk appetite and investor type,
Re: Which Is More Viable; Mutual Funds Or Buying Stock by Seun(m): 5:27pm On Apr 22, 2008
The problem with mutual funds is their management fee. You can always diversify on your own.
Re: Which Is More Viable; Mutual Funds Or Buying Stock by afam1(m): 8:55am On Apr 23, 2008
my name is NWACHUKWU AFAM and i work with ASSET AND RESOURCE INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT COMPANY(ARM)of the oldest asset management company.

The company is into financial advisory services and asset management(mutual fund).

We at ARM manage the DISCOVERY FUND AND AGGRESSIVE GROWTH FUND.

You can reach me on 08038673022,to help you realise your investment needs.

Also,for the management fee issue,we just take 1.5%of the net asset value(NAV) ONLY.
Re: Which Is More Viable; Mutual Funds Or Buying Stock by candylips(m): 1:21pm On Apr 23, 2008
Mutual funds are definitely less risky but if you are worried about the management fees they charge. You could invest in the Index itself . This means you dont have to rack your brain as to how you will diversify your portfolio.

However this also means you can't generate abnormal returns or beat the market

(1) (Reply)

Long term(5yr) investment with 3 million naira, Landed property or Stock(shares) / Investment / Subscribers Earn A Free Monthly Income Of N4,000 For One Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.