Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,017 members, 7,919,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 02:26 AM

70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank (1066 Views)

Abacha Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle – World Bank / Nigeria Is Rich, But Nigerians Are Poor, EU Tells Buhari / Only A Third Of Nigerians Are Poor- Says World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Geomac: 8:23am On May 14, 2013
THE World Bank has disclosed that about70 million Nigerian adults are poor, while Jigawa is the poorest state in the country.

World Bank Lead Economist, Mr John Litwack, speaking at the media launch of the Nigeria Economic Report (NER) on Monday in Abuja, stated that poverty rates remain high particularly in rural area.

Mr Litwack noted in the report that although poverty rate declined slightly between 2004 and 2010, it did not however reflect on the generality of Nigerians.

The NER stated that Lagos had the lowest poverty rate of 22.9 per cent while Jigawa had the highest at 77.5 per cent. The report further showed that poverty is concentrated more in the Northern part of the country as against the South West where the rate of poverty is lowest.

The World Bank lead economist explained that to overcome these, there is need for better coordination of federal and state policies in key areas of the economy namely: macroeconomic management, coordinated policies to enhance market connectivity and improve public service, and the realisation of national standards in public financial management and disclosure.

“Enhanced cooperation among the federal and state governments can successfully address all these issues, thereby unlocking enormous potential for growth, job creation, and improvement in the welfare of Nigerian citizens,” the report said.

He insisted that problems in government have hindered the ability of Nigeria to translate its resource wealth into the infrastructure and public services needed for a take-off into sustainable and diversified growth.

Litwack said that to attract foreign investors, it was important that government also tackle the problems of market connectivity and infrastructural deficit.

“Investors with the potential to set up large scale operations and create jobs will be reluctant to do so if they cannot service a large market. Under these conditions, a number of Nigerian states have limited opportunities to attract significant investors,” he said.

He pointed out that for Nigeria’s federal system of government to work for development, there was need to hold government officials accountable, saying that until the public was aware of public expenditure, it would be difficult to hold public officers accountable.

“In Nigeria, much too little of this information is current is currently available at every level of government. In some cases, the problem can be related to the actual absence of information. In other cases, the information may exist, but is not disclosed to the public in a regular and clear manner.”

The World Bank therefore recommended that “better monitoring of indicators of performance can foster healthy competition and knowledge sharing among Nigerian states, as well as increasing accountability of public officials to voters.”

The lead author of the report, while acknowledging that the country’s improved macroeconomic management had strengthened its balance of payment and reserve accumulation, added that increased accumulation of the country’s Excess Crude Account (ECA) would make it less vulnerable to any global financial shocks.

Speaking at the launch, the World Bank Country Director to Nigeria, Marie Francois Marie-Nelly, said there was need by the government to begin to operate a more stable budget despite volatility in oil prices worldwide.

She urged the government to create a conducive atmosphere for investment to thrive and “the private sector will come in.”

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/item/11829-70-million-nigerians-are-poor-says-world-bank-jigawa-state-poorest-in-nigeria
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Geomac: 8:24am On May 14, 2013
I don't believe this figure, more than 100M Nigerians are poor judging from what i see everyday.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 8:47am On May 14, 2013
Geomac: I don't believe this figure, more than 100M Nigerians are poor judging from what i see everyday.
connected lines is over 130 million... Dude, my own figure is 40million.. You can dipute my claim but provide me with your definition of poverty first sad
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 9:06am On May 14, 2013
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 11:07am On May 14, 2013

1 Like

Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Rossikk(m): 2:03pm On May 14, 2013
zetdee: over 120million Nigerians live in poverty, 70million Nigeria adult and the youth.

YAWWWNNN... PLEASE SPARE US YOUR GARBAGE DOOMSDAY CLAIM. Every Nigerian thinks everyone else is starving in their homes except them.

UPDATE: 100 MILLION NIGERIANS OWN MOBILE PHONES. THE SAME PEOPLE SUPPOSEDLY LIVING ON ''LESS THAN A DOLLAR A DAY''

HOW DO YOU BUY OR MAINTAIN A MOBILE PHONE ON LESS THAN A DOLLAR A DAY? NOT TO MENTION FEEDING, CLOTHING ETC (IF YOU SAY NIGERIANS ARE NOT FEEDING SHOW US THE STARVING, THE AID TRUCKS, RED CROSS ETC)

Nigeria – Africa’s most populous nation – recently surpassed 100 million active mobile subscriptions, which equates to around 65.8 percent of the population.

http://mobithinking.com/country-guides-home/guide-mobile-web-nigeria
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 14, 2013
Geomac: I don't believe this figure, more than 100M Nigerians are poor judging from what i see everyday.

Honestly, I doubt the population of Nigeria is up to 100 million. The 160 million figure is just pure nonsense.

However, it depends of what metric/standard they used in arriving at that figure. By international standard, 80-90% of Nigerians are relatively poor..
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Rossikk(m): 2:30pm On May 14, 2013
ShyM-X:

Honestly, I doubt the population of Nigeria is up to 100 million. The 160 million figure is just pure nonsense.

However, it depends of what metric/standard they used in arriving at that figure. By international standard, 80-90% of Nigerians are relatively poor..

What ''international standard'' are you using? The world is not made up of rich people. The ''INTERNATIONAL STANDARD'' of living is not comparable to living standards in America or Germany. Those nations' living standards are the EXCEPTIONS in the world. The vast majority of people on earth are in developing nations with much more MODEST living standards. THAT is the true ''international standard''. By THAT standard, we can put Nigeria's poverty rate at around 40 to 50%, and most certainly NOT ''80 to 90%''.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 14, 2013
In Nigeria if you don't have a ride, you're poor.. That's our own standard for measuring poverty
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by ayox2003: 4:39pm On May 14, 2013
Litwack said that to attract foreign investors, it was important that government also tackle the problems of market connectivity and infrastructural deficit.

“Investors with the potential to set up large scale operations and create jobs will be reluctant to do so if they cannot service a large market. Under these conditions, a number of Nigerian states have limited opportunities to attract significant investors,” he said.

He pointed out that for Nigeria’s federal system of government to work for development, there was need to hold government officials accountable, saying that until the public was aware of public expenditure, it would be difficult to hold public officers accountable.

The bolded makes a lot of sense. This time, I seem to agree with the World Bank. Let the government also come up with a database for every nigerian. The West shouldnt be throwing numbers at us when we have a NBS and others.

Frawzey
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by bloggernaija: 5:21pm On May 14, 2013
A poor man in the midst of church rats is the richest man . Exactly why you have local champion . The people are poor and suffering .the only people who do not see it are Nigerians themselves.
I grew knowing a certain standard of living .1983 economic crisis happened and we lost it.
I got it back when I left that shithole

Nigeria's entire national budget is not up to the annual profit of apple.
That is what all the idiots are fighting over.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by tpia5: 5:31pm On May 14, 2013
the figure is probably higher than that.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-Z-iw3__3M1w/UAcLWIXXMtI/AAAAAAAAApY/x6N12drWOe0/s400/schools+009.JPG[/img]

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=images/pupils_under_trees_168713650.jpg&size=article_large[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-5w26fuDSUZ0/Ta4K1s_XvFI/AAAAAAAAAGU/YsCy502Jwpw/s1600/Abdul%2527s+Dream.JPG[/img]

God bless their hearts, some of us had forefathers who learned under trees and in mud huts, yet they still went on to be great achievers, eschewing all the permanent bad belle and self destructive behaviour so endemic around here these days.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Afam4evaIsASlut: 6:12pm On May 14, 2013

If Nigeria really has 160million people, easily, I'll say over 85% of them are poor!

Gawd, the whole damn country is poor. Looking at the environment alone is nauseating, abi wetin be "poor" again? Nigerians think wealth is just money. The whole place reeks, dirt on the side of every road, corrupt police, poor education, poor healthcare, no welfare system....

Yeah, Nigerians are majorly poor most of them just dont realize how miserable their lives really are.

1 Like

Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Afam4evaIsASlut: 6:13pm On May 14, 2013
bloggernaija: A poor man in the midst of church rats is the richest man . Exactly why you have local champion . The people are poor and suffering .the only people who do not see it are Nigerians themselves.
I grew knowing a certain standard of living .1983 economic crisis happened and we lost it.
I got it back when I left that shithole

Nigeria's entire national budget is not up to the annual profit of apple.
That is what all the idiots are fighting over.

Wow, you stole the words out my mouth.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 7:30pm On May 14, 2013
Rossikk:

YAWWWNNN... PLEASE SPARE US YOUR GARBAGE DOOMSDAY CLAIM. Every Nigerian thinks everyone else is starving in their homes except them.

UPDATE: 100 MILLION NIGERIANS OWN MOBILE PHONES. THE SAME PEOPLE SUPPOSEDLY LIVING ON ''LESS THAN A DOLLAR A DAY''

HOW DO YOU BUY OR MAINTAIN A MOBILE PHONE ON LESS THAN A DOLLAR A DAY? NOT TO MENTION FEEDING, CLOTHING ETC (IF YOU SAY NIGERIANS ARE NOT FEEDING SHOW US THE STARVING, THE AID TRUCKS, RED CROSS ETC)

Nigeria – Africa’s most populous nation – recently surpassed 100 million active mobile subscriptions, which equates to around 65.8 percent of the population.

http://mobithinking.com/country-guides-home/guide-mobile-web-nigeria

you cant quote phone figures alone without also mentioning other items like brazilian hair. How much do nigerians spend on these? How much do they spend on concert tickets and club fees for their favourite artists who are living large?

you're only looking at statistics for the urbanized nigerians who dont form the majority of the nigerian population.

most of the real nigerians who are actually suffering, dont have access to and cant afford any of these things.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 11:31pm On May 14, 2013
70M Nigerians? Maybe they are only those in the north because in my area I don't see poor people around, that's why I always ask where are those poor people they clame that fulled Nigeria.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 11:36pm On May 14, 2013
There's nowhere in nigeria that doesnt have poor people, unless they were chased elsewhere or warned to not show their faces at home.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by redsun(m): 11:43pm On May 14, 2013
One great thing about suffering nigerian children is that they are hardly physically disable,apart the ones in the north that are mostly infested with polio due to their chronic islamic infestation down there.

No matter the poverty they go through,they still look physically strong.Mostly because majority of the very poor are not expose to processed,genetically modified,adulterated and refined sugared foods yet.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Scarpon(m): 12:20am On May 15, 2013
I doubt this post
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Afam4evaIsASlut: 4:13am On May 15, 2013
redsun: One great thing about suffering nigerian children is that they are hardly physically disable,apart the ones in the north that are mostly infested with polo due to their chronic islamic infestation down there.

No matter the poverty they go through,they still look physically strong.Mostly because majority of the very poor are not expose to processed,genetically modified,adulterated and refined sugared foods yet.

Sure!

Those gaunt, hungry looking, clearly depressed, hard, sorry and sad faces are what you call "Look Physically Strong"?!

Lol smh You guys are wonderful.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 4:26am On May 15, 2013
Afam4evaIsASlut:

Sure!

Those gaunt, hungry looking, clearly depressed, hard, sorry and sad faces are what you call "Look Physically Strong"?!

I do not see this in the pictures of those kids displayed above.

Poor can mean hungry/sad/depressed. But not always.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by OneNaira6: 4:33am On May 15, 2013
tpia@:
the figure is probably higher than that.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-Z-iw3__3M1w/UAcLWIXXMtI/AAAAAAAAApY/x6N12drWOe0/s400/schools+009.JPG[/img]

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=images/pupils_under_trees_168713650.jpg&size=article_large[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-5w26fuDSUZ0/Ta4K1s_XvFI/AAAAAAAAAGU/YsCy502Jwpw/s1600/Abdul%2527s+Dream.JPG[/img]

God bless their hearts, some of us had forefathers who learned under trees and in mud huts, yet they still went on to be great achievers, eschewing all the permanent bad belle and self destructive behaviour so endemic around here these days.

This pictures got to me. Such a terrible living quality and it breaks a person seeing them suffering and smiling like that.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 5:23am On May 15, 2013
Afam4evaIsASlut:

Sure!

You're confusing these wonderful and well adjusted kids with bitter nairalanders.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 5:24am On May 15, 2013
One_Naira:

This pictures got to me. Such a terrible living quality and it breaks a person seeing them suffering and smiling like that.

Do they look like they're suffering?

They seem to be enjoying their lives, cant say the same for many nlers who are better off financially than they are.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Nobody: 6:26am On May 15, 2013
Go to Somalia and see suffering... These ones in the pics are having fun..
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by 50calibre(m): 7:10am On May 15, 2013
Only 70 million? Oh I don't think so
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by redsun(m): 9:05am On May 15, 2013
Afam4evaIsASlut:

Sure!

They don't look obese like their western sugar fed counterparts,mind you.Neither do they look malnourised like their somalia or ethiopia counterparts.

They are just unkept,mentally and creatively starved.
Re: 70M Nigerians Are Poor - World Bank by Afam4evaIsASlut: 3:57pm On May 15, 2013
nnenna.1:

I do not see this in the pictures of those kids displayed above.

Poor can mean hungry/sad/depressed. But not always.

Bro, both of us were talking about in general.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Go Better With Time / Amosun Blasts Gbenga Daniel Over Church Rigmarole! / Ndi Igbo Can Bring Nigeria To A Halt If… – Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.