Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,262 members, 7,880,988 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:28 AM

Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People (10545 Views)

Small Animals And Insects That Cause Big And Deadly Diseases / Eat More Bananas For More Sons – Scientists / Lose Weight Without Starving Yourself With These Nigerian Herbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by folu500(m): 2:12pm On May 14, 2013
hmmmmm na wa o. what will someone not hear with all this research and findings.

The United Nations has some advice for the starving people of the world that might bug you. Eating insects might just be the future of food. A new report from the U.N. says that eating insects (high in protein, low in fat) can help fight global warming, pollutions, and yes, hunger. And if the suggestion catches on, it could even be great for small businesses.

The concept of eating insects as part of a regular diet is known as entomophagy is already practiced by an estimated two billion people, according to the report, which was issued on Monday, the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization. In 2012, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation named Dr. Aaron T. Dossey’s “All Things Bugs” company the winner of the foundation’s annual Grand Challenges Explorations contest. The group received a grant to pursue its project to come up with viable insect protein options to combat malnutrition in children.

So, which bugs earned the U.N.’s seal of approval? Well, there are reportedly more than 1,900 edible insect species. The international governing body suggested people try red ants, bees, caterpillars, crickets, grasshoppers, locusts wasps and certain types of water beetles. - http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/u-n-encourages-people-eat-more-insects-004159870.html

2 Likes

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Kingslaw(m): 2:23pm On May 14, 2013
they should go to hell.

wait o,does it mean ''there is nothing like Garry in there dictionary?'

1 Like

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by olaric(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2013
No matter how proteinious some insects are, no one can convince me to cook them for meal. Moreover these same people encouraging us to start eating insects will one day start talking about preserving them in the name of "endangered species."

1 Like

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Sunnycliff(m): 2:57pm On May 14, 2013
Have global poverty gotten to this stage?
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by REMMEI(m): 3:35pm On May 14, 2013
dunno where it is said that 'tis cos of global poverty or something.. most ants are nutritious and edible..i have eaten ants before..those flying termites though..lolz

3 Likes

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by dominique(f): 4:30pm On May 14, 2013
I've eaten those bugs that come out in the rain once, quite tasty and scrunchy. Anything other than that, I'll pass tongue

4 Likes

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by zangiff(m): 9:36am On May 15, 2013
this one no carry sense abeg
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by dridowu: 9:39am On May 15, 2013
They will never eat it yet they will say its nutritious. Oyinbo pple and stupid research

1 Like

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by godofwar666(m): 9:41am On May 15, 2013
[b][/b] ;Dmay be End Time is near. it already written that few will be rich many will be poor.
na U.N talk say prevention is better than cure
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Nobody: 9:41am On May 15, 2013
Haba. This people has come again
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Tbillz(m): 9:41am On May 15, 2013
Am 100percent sure diz pple want 2 reduce tha worlds population startin frm Africa.....make una papa try bed bug nah? Hiss#

1 Like

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by clemmonce(m): 9:42am On May 15, 2013
RED ANTS ?
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Lilimax(f): 9:43am On May 15, 2013
folu500:
So, which bugs earned the U.N.’s seal of approval? The international governing body suggested people try red ants, bees, caterpillars, crickets, grasshoppers, locusts wasps and certain types of water beetles.
But are we saying that the level of hunger and starvation has gotten to that level?
Thank goodness that mosquitoes and houseflies are not inclusive...yuck!

1 Like

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by hotwax: 9:43am On May 15, 2013
olaric: No matter how proteinious some insects are, no one can convince me to cook them for meal. Moreover these same people encouraging us to start eating insects will one day start talking about preserving them in the name of "endangered species."

ARe you that starved? This is for refugee in war turn country. Its not for countries like Nigeria. Nigeria is not that poor not to be able to afford garri, fufu e.t.c. There are so many darn cheap foods in Nigeria.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by JulieYoung(f): 9:43am On May 15, 2013
This is what we cal....**astromoliganic Stupidity**i dnt blame dem,d eat fried rice nd chicken wit our money nd advice us to eat insects Abi
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by jammani(m): 9:46am On May 15, 2013
Termite is sweet, especially with Gaari Ilorin, don't pour the termite inside the gaari, just hold it with your left hand. While you drink the Garri, you continue to throw it in.

Don't talk with anybody while in the process, so that you can be sure you have balanced your diet

2 Likes

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by greatmen: 9:46am On May 15, 2013
Hmmmmmmmm no be africa dem dey use style to tell kai black man has suffered i regect every curse jesus dun carry d cross wetin happen!

1 Like

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by fallingsky(m): 9:54am On May 15, 2013
Nice one, better than starving to death.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by momodub: 9:55am On May 15, 2013
see me see wahala please me i want chicken or goat meat insect oooo
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by fitzmayowa: 9:56am On May 15, 2013
Sunnycliff: Have global poverty gotten to this stage?
I tire ooo...oya na to begin chop termite, ant, mosquito and the likes now...mtchewww

1 Like

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by yuzedo: 9:57am On May 15, 2013
UN tells starving people those fhucking African black modafockarzzzz to eat insects cos hey, fück them, they animals anyways so eat insects like the animals you are grin

Redmosquito, where are you?! angry Pour barbecue sauce on yoself and report to my room at once! tongue

2 Likes

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Madawaki01(m): 10:02am On May 15, 2013
dominique: I've eaten those bugs that come out in the rain once, quite tasty and scrunchy. Anything other than that, I'll pass tongue
yer,afta been fried,so tasty
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Madawaki01(m): 10:03am On May 15, 2013
dominique: I've eaten those bugs that come out in the rain once, quite tasty and scrunchy. Anything other than that, I'll pass tongue
yer,afta been fried,so tasty.
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by ITbomb(m): 10:04am On May 15, 2013
Yea come on baby eat me

2 Likes

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by saintneo(m): 10:05am On May 15, 2013
Just had some Roaches for breakfast.......yum yum yum
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by kliffo(m): 10:18am On May 15, 2013
Some of us grew up eating some ants as a delicacy. For the Igbos,' Mkpu'(termite), 'Nwa Igu'(Carterpillar) and
some other insects are still prized sources of protein. If they are readily available why not?
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Walexz02(m): 10:23am On May 15, 2013
Some of the above listed insects(grasshopper et al) are food here in Nigeria. So, why the fuse?
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by freecocoa(f): 10:35am On May 15, 2013
Grasshopper is a delicacy here so that one no be problem for some people but bees? hmm lekwa ka ogba gburu nmadu.undecided
Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by dgitrader(m): 10:37am On May 15, 2013
insects are very rich in protein and iron.... research.

[size=18pt]but op.... hmmmmm

where or when did the UN(F.A.O actually)refer to 'starving people'[/size]?

1 Like

Re: Eat More Insects - UN To Starving People by Elpieces: 10:49am On May 15, 2013
Cool, we have been practising that a long time ago in the North. We eat dried, fried and salted 'shinge'. The kind of insect that flies around bulbs when it rains.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naturally Increase Your Breast Size Via This 6 Ways / COVID19: Muhammad Dingyadi Goes Into Isolation / COVID-19 Update For January 31 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.