Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,836 members, 7,938,448 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 06:27 AM

LASG Rejects Hijab In Public Schools - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / LASG Rejects Hijab In Public Schools (468 Views)

Peter Mutharika Rejects T.B Joshua's Prophecy / LASG Backs Deeper Life Flyover In Lagos / Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

LASG Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by bestman09(m): 9:04am On May 15, 2013
Lagos State Government says pupils in its public schools are only allowed to wear conventional uniforms to the school.

It added that usage of other appendages, including Hijab, a head scarf for Muslim women, would not be allowed.

The Commissioner for Education Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye, said this on Tuesday at a press briefing in Ikeja, adding that usage of Hijab and other religious materials in public schools was against government’s policy.

She said, “I summoned a stakeholder’s meeting that was chaired by the Commissioner for Home Affairs and Culture, Alhaji Oyinlomo Danmole. The Muslim students were represented at the meeting, Lawyers were represented. We discussed the issue at length and we reached certain agreement.

“We agreed that students could only use their Hijab when they want to go for prayers, when they want to read Qur’an, and when they are going for Jumat prayer on Fridays.

“It was agreed that no student should wear Hijab on her uniform. Doing so will cause confusion and break down of the law.

“Whoever wish that his daughter should be wearing Hijab while going to school and within the school should send such child to a private Muslim school,”

The commissioner, who said the government was committed to overhauling the education sector, added that the administration had spent over N7bn in upgrading the Lagos State University.

Oladunjoye added that the government would continue to provide qualitative education “by all means”.

Thank God for this. I hope Aregbesola and state of Osun should take note. Anybody that want his/her daughter to wear hijab to school should look for a private muslim school, period.
Re: LASG Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 9:59am On May 15, 2013
Fashola is doing great!

Why won't I cast my vote for him if he decides to run as president?
Re: LASG Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Gudiza(m): 11:00am On May 15, 2013
undecided

(1) (Reply)

A Short Story To Make You Know That God Is Existing / The Only People as Arrogant Than Atheists Are Religious Nigerians / Seriously In Need Of Your Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.