Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,163 members, 7,884,050 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 10:30 PM

Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools (13279 Views)

China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students / Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Remii(m): 6:30pm On May 20, 2013
The link below is interesting views of a non Muslim

Subject: Article: Joachim MacEbong: I am not a Muslim, but Lagos state is wrong on

Joachim MacEbong: I am not a Muslim, but Lagos state is wrong on Hijabs
http://www.ynaija.com/joachim-macebong-i-am-not-a-muslim-but-lagos-state-is-wrong-on-hijabs/

(via YNaija)

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by JaaizTech: 6:34pm On May 20, 2013
I would be really stunned if this turns out to be true. That would be a total disrespect to Muslims. Islam shouldn't be looked at from the point of view of Christianity. Mode of dressing is a core part of Islamic belief; a matured girl dressing without her Hijab, is sinning from the Islamic perspective. This is the Islamic belief it doesn't need to be agreed upon by any other belief.

Forcing Muslims to abandon their religious teachings in a public school is a gross violation of their rights by any standards. This should be resisted by every good means possible; we all should be sincere and fair in our minds, I wonder if all those applauding this decision would feel the same way if schools in Kano were to force all students to put on Hijab as part of their School uniforms.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Ayoobscom(m): 6:34pm On May 20, 2013
Wait a second...Are the Muslims girls bearing hijab,are those hijabs blocking the blackboard from other classmates?

Or has the other christian girls got home and say mommy/daddy I dont like Aisha wearing hijab and sitting in our class...

Then what is the ban all about ?

Openness of hatred for a good habit is flagrant invitation to argument and this so wanton of the government not supporting a good culture

O then they Should add brazillian hairfixing to their dresscode

Nansense bigots

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by sulhuftpeace: 6:37pm On May 20, 2013
These people are trouble makers. For God's sake, what is ur bizness with hijab. If the govt cannot forbid the use of skimpy dresses as seen in our schools, then they have NO right to ban hijab.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by chiefbatiatus(m): 6:49pm On May 20, 2013
Muslims are always out for trouble, they can't just see why others cannot accept their religion as the only possible way of life. I predict that this is probably the beginning of unrest in the south. Islam is now the biggest problem of the world

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 20, 2013
Until moslem learn to articulate their religious demand to include right of other religion in all ramification, their demand ll continue to be overrule by an unbiased govt. Instead of right to wear hijab, they should rather say right of all student to include religious attire in their UNI-form; but by then the purpose of UNI-form in our public school would have been defeated! It is uniform, generally accepted by all, they re up again not the govt; and the ladies should be the champions here not the men.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by http(m): 6:57pm On May 20, 2013
I don't know what concern government in religion issue, its a muslim girl right to cover her head reasonably and as long as Nigerian constitution guatantee this right, Fashola is highly irresponsible banning it from Lagos Public school.

Without the Hijab, a muslim girl dress is not complete, let be fair in everything we do, fashola decision will surely backfires on him, Let Muslim girls wear Hijab if they want to and their right should not be tramped on.

To others taking their hatred of Islam to the next level, my advise, keep hating, its part of human and to be fair, you are free to continue in ur Hate.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by tomber(m): 7:00pm On May 20, 2013
It either a uniform or not.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by chiefbatiatus(m): 7:01pm On May 20, 2013
JaaizTech: I would be really stunned if this turns out to be true. That would be a total disrespect to Muslims. Islam shouldn't be looked at from the point of view of Christianity. Mode of dressing is a core part of Islamic belief; a matured girl dressing without her Hijab, is sinning from the Islamic perspective. This is the Islamic belief it doesn't need to be agreed upon by any other belief.

Forcing Muslims to abandon their religious teachings in a public school is a gross violation of their rights by any standards. This should be resisted by every good means possible; we all should be sincere and fair in our minds, I wonder if all those applauding this decision would feel the same way if schools in Kano were to force all students to put on Hijab as part of their School uniforms.

Retarded thinking always, so if my own religion prescribes that i wear a charm always around my neck so am permitted to wear it to school? So a uniform is a Christian thing? Funny enough i know u might be a graduate but see how u think because of the retarded religion that is setting the world on fire? To be honest with you, you should be ashamed of yourself
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Remii(m): 7:06pm On May 20, 2013
chief batiatus: Muslims are always out for trouble, they can't just see why others cannot accept their religion as the only possible way of life. I predict that this is probably the beginning of unrest in the south. Islam is now the biggest problem of the world

how can you fairly blame this provokative law on Muslims? Are Muslims asking that hijab be added to school uniform or that govt is saying kids already wearing hijab should stop use of it? Is it just now that Muslim children begin to wear hijab in schools? Tell me one instance that hijab wearing has been identified as a cause of trouble in schools.
Why is it that anything Islam is what is attacked in Nigeria.?
Non interest banking is called Islamic banking because of origin, but Nigerian non Muslim does not want to hear the word Islam. Is Nigeria a Christian country when Mrs Jonathan lighted national Chrismas tree last year?
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by http(m): 7:20pm On May 20, 2013
Remii:

how can you fairly blame this provokative law on Muslims? Are Muslims asking that hijab be added to school uniform or that govt is saying kids already wearing hijab should stop use of it? Is it just now that Muslim children begin to wear hijab in schools? Tell me one instance that hijab wearing has been identified as a cause of trouble in schools.
Why is it that anything Islam is what is attacked in Nigeria.?
Non interest banking is called Islamic banking because of origin, but Nigerian non Muslim does not want to hear the word Islam. Is Nigeria a Christian country when Mrs Jonathan lighted national Chrismas tree last year?

You don't need to ask all these questions, when people have hatred in their heart, there is nothing good that can come out of such heart regard to that subject, same goes for Islam, i have learn to be fair to everyone i know and meet.

Am not here to defend anyone but to be fair, the Nigerian state guarantee you and me a religious right and Muslim girls wearing Hijab does not go against the constitution...

Let there be Hate, you find Haters in Nairaland, you can just imagine the level of hatred of Islam in their mind, i pray this Hatred will not consume them significantly.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by tintingz(m): 7:21pm On May 20, 2013
isale_gan2:

"Troublesome religion" because they stand up and fight for their rights, instead of accepting oppression while waiting for a messiah to come back to free them?

You can feel free to fight for your right to be a nudist. No one is stopping you.
You dey mind that nudist grin grin
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by LordReed(m): 7:29pm On May 20, 2013
The_King'sQueen:
Na wa oh! This issue should not be allowed to get out of hand and degenerate into a religious dissaffection. Let the relevant authorities handle this matter early enough. Meanwhile, i think the wearing of hijab in schools should be made optional and voluntary. As in, Muslim students who wish to wear it should be allowed to wear it, while those who do not want to wear it should not be forced to wear it.
Afterall, Catholic Reverend Sisters who are studying in government-owned higher institutions wear their complete habit in schools.
Please, all these issues that could result in inter-religious quarrels should be handled with care and wisdom.

So you compare higher institution to public secondary/primary school? Amazing!

Aside church based higher institutions government owned higher institutions do not restrict what students wear.

By the way when did you see a nun schooling at a public secondary school?

I attended a federal government owned secondary school in SOKOTO, no one wore hijab and everything was kool. What is prompting all this whining about hijab really eludes me.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:33pm On May 20, 2013
It is a Sad, Cruel Irony - When the Keepers of Peace choose to sow the seeds of Violence at such a young group of innocent children.
You would rather sacrifice the well-being of humanity for the satisfaction of jamming an ideal forcefully down everyone's throat.. whether or not they want it.
1: You want to be treated differently because of you are Muslim
2: You want Special Privileges above Constituted Authority because Allah owns the frigging planet
3: You want others for follow your Religion or be damned to constant Ridicule, Violence and Isolation

Whatever happened to understanding these verses of the Koran

"Say: 'The truth is from your Lord' Let him who will, believe, and let him who will, reject it" (Qur'an 18:29)
"You have your religion, and I have mine" (Qur'an 109:6)
"Let there be no compulsion in religion" (Qur'an 2:256)
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 7:35pm On May 20, 2013
Religion is a curse on Nigeria!
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nursy(f): 7:40pm On May 20, 2013
abdulkayus: I can c alot of bigots here. Wat caous is wearin of hijab by d muslims students goin to bring in d school, dis is discrimination. Lagos state belong to everyone. And who told u ppl dat d hijab is being force on everyone? Afterall, its nt even all d muslims dat wear hijab. Dos dat want to wear are doin so voluntary, so their right shld nt be obstruct. There is no where in d Nigerian constitution dat d hijab is ban.
What are dos muslims in d LASG even doin, cant dey defend their religion?
We are goin to c hw dis issue will end, i hope d muslims will win their right back. Lagosian muslims shld nt relent in demandin for their right.
CIAO
you r a fanatic... Does wearing of hijab make dem holier or wil it prevent those nt wearing 4rm entering paradise? The hrt shld be pure 1st..
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by LordReed(m): 7:42pm On May 20, 2013
BTW I suppose this same protesters cheered when those girls were going to be jailed for "blasphemy" and said we should respect the law. Well time to live up to your words, respect the law!
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by musawisdom(m): 7:48pm On May 20, 2013
do you know that half unclothedness is part of their means of worship. why would they like to see you dressing morally and descently.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Saintparis1: 7:55pm On May 20, 2013
musawisdom: do you know that half unclothedness is part of their means of worship. why would they like to see you dressing morally and descently.
Muslim men are not required to wear hijab. Going by your logic does that mean they are immoral And indecent?
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by LordReed(m): 8:00pm On May 20, 2013
Ayoobscom: Wait a second...Are the Muslims girls bearing hijab,are those hijabs blocking the blackboard from other classmates?

Or has the other christian girls got home and say mommy/daddy I dont like Aisha wearing hijab and sitting in our class...

Then what is the ban all about ?

Openness of hatred for a good habit is flagrant invitation to argument and this so wanton of the government not supporting a good culture

O then they Should add brazillian hairfixing to their dresscode

Nansense bigots

Bigotry just like those girls that are to be jailed for "blasphemy" right?

See how it hurts now the shoe is on the other foot huh? Rule of law my dear time to respect it.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by musawisdom(m): 8:09pm On May 20, 2013
Saint paris: Muslim men are not required to wear hijab. Going by your logic does that mean they are immoral And indecent?
but dont you know that descency in terms of dressing is high with women than of men.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by harlos: 8:23pm On May 20, 2013
Eneze1: this people again?
what is it with them?

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 20, 2013
Borno, yobe and adamawa states have good muslim schools. Disaffectioned folks could send their chldren there.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by dhardline(m): 9:12pm On May 20, 2013
u·ni·form   (y n -fôrm )
adj.
1. Always the same, as in character or degree; unvarying.
2. Conforming to one principle, standard, or rule; consistent.
3. Being the same as or consonant with another or others.
4. Unvaried in texture, color, or design.
n.
1. A distinctive outfit intended to identify those who wear it as members of a specific group.
2. One set of such an outfit.
tr.v. u·ni·formed , u·ni·form·ing , u·ni·forms
1. To make (something) uniform.
2. To provide or dress with a uniform.
[Latin nif rmis: ni-, uni- + f rma, shape .]
u ni·for mi·ty , u ni·form ness n.
u ni·form ly adv.
uniform [ˈjuːnɪˌfɔːm]
n
1. (Clothing&Fashion) a prescribed identifying set of clothes for the members of an organization, such as soldiers or schoolchildren
2. (Clothing&Fashion) a single set of such clothes
3. (Clothing&Fashion) a characteristic feature or fashion of some class or group
4. Informal a police officer who wears a uniform
adj
1. unchanging in form, quality, quantity, etc.; regular a uniform surface
2. identical; alike or like a line of uniform toys
vb (tr)
1. (Clothing&Fashion) to fit out (a body of soldiers, etc.) with uniforms
2. to make uniform
[from Latin ūniformis, from ūnus one + forma shape]
uniformly adv
uniformness n
Uniform [ˈjuːnɪˌfɔːm]
n
(Electronics&Computer Science / Communications&Information) Communications a code word for the letter u
u•ni•form (ˈyu nəˌfɔrm)

adj.
1. identical or consistent, as from example to example or place to place: a uniform building code.
2. without variations in detail: a uniform surface.
3. constant; unvarying: uniform fairness.
n.
4. an identifying outfit or style of dress worn by the members of a given profession, organization, or rank.
v.t.
5. to make uniform or standard.
6. to clothe in or furnish with a uniform.
[1530–40;<Latin ūnifōrmis (adj.) = ūni- uni - + -fōrmis -form ]
u′ni•form`ly, adv.
u′ni•form`ness, n.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Remii(m): 9:26pm On May 20, 2013
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by olanyte: 9:56pm On May 20, 2013
noskeybaba: Why was it banned in the first place? Or is it that ninja stuff they wear?
while do you like to compare islam to unethical things better mind your speech olodo.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by olanyte: 10:06pm On May 20, 2013
Ayoobscom: Wait a second...Are the Muslims girls bearing hijab,are those hijabs blocking the blackboard from other classmates?
give example of 5 schools to buttres your point mumu.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by AbuMikey(m): 10:19pm On May 20, 2013
HMmmmmm
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by adeemi07(f): 10:38pm On May 20, 2013
:/God knows i'm tired of this shits
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Drzak(m): 5:06am On May 21, 2013
What I use in consoling myself many a time in this forum is that well " it's quite unfortunate that most people have misconceptions about Islam and Image of Islam have been sold badly to them by Islamic skeptics " but I still believe there a few persons that will always check up issues on both sides before passing there own personal mouthwatering allegation on individuals and group because of sentiment.
I am a religious scholar of comparative religion and that has helped me in knowing much about major world religious teachings and I will never condemn the act of any religion so longer as its part of their religious doctrine to practice it even though I am a Muslim.
I think Nairalanders we should stop the habit of insulting religious groups or ethnic tribe when sensitive issue or topics are posted rather than offer reasonable solutions to mend our differences for the benefit of everybody. Thank you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

COVID-19: How Can Someone Wearing PPE Perform Ablution For Solah? / Beware Of Fake Hijab / What Is Your Duty To Your Sisters And Brothers In Islam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.