Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,120 members, 7,973,776 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 06:26 AM

Bayelsa To Build Mausoleum For The Late Isaac Boro! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa To Build Mausoleum For The Late Isaac Boro! (615 Views)

Buhari To Complete Zik Mausoleum / APGA Victory: Ume Leads Obiano To Ojukwu's Mausoleum(pictures) / Yakowa's Corpse Being Transported From Bayelsa To Kaduna This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa To Build Mausoleum For The Late Isaac Boro! by tomakint: 10:27pm On May 16, 2013
Residents of Bayelsa State on Thursday trooped out to celebrate the Isaac Adaka Boro day to mark the 45th anniversary of his demise on the 16th of May, 1968.

Isaac Boro, to the Ijaws and most people from the Niger Delta, was a freedom fighter that fought for their emancipation. Every achievement so far recorded in the region is seen as a fallout of his struggle whilst he was alive.

As part of the activities marking this year’s celebration, the governor of Bayelsa State, Mr Seriake Dickson, laid the foundation stone for the Isaac Boro Memorial Institute, which will also include a mausoleum in Boro town.

The governor also unveiled a plaque in his memory in the town and laid a wreath at his grave side in Kaiama Local Government Area of the state.

There was also a parade by legionnaires and inspection of the guard by the governor to celebrate the memorial.

Joining Mr. Dickson to lay wreath at his graveside were the son of late Boro and other Ijaw leaders.

The celebration continues as famed America human rights fighter, Reverend Jesse Jackson has arrived in the oil-rich state, where he will deliver a lecture on Friday.

Isaac Adaka Boro the Activist

Isaac Boro was a celebrated Niger Delta activist and one of the pioneers of minority rights activism in Nigeria. He led an armed protest against the exploitation of oil and gas resources in the Niger Delta areas demanding that the people of the area deserved a fairer share of proceeds of the oil wealth.

He formed the Niger Delta Volunteer Force, an armed militia and declared the Niger Delta Republic on February 23, 1966 and battled the forces of the federal government of Nigeria for 12 days.

He was finally routed and jailed with his compatriots for treason. Former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon granted him amnesty on the eve of the Nigerian civil war in May 1967. He then enlisted and was commissioned as a Major in the Nigerian Army, where he fought for the federal government.

He was killed in active service in 1968 at Ogu (near Okrika) in Rivers State

The remains of late Boro was exhumed from the Ikoyi cemetery, Lagos in April 2013, where he was buried 45 years ago.

It is also reported that the bones of the late Boro have been sent to the United Kingdom for DNA test.

His corpse is expected to be interred in Heroes Park in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/05/16/bayela-to-build-mausoleum-for-isaac-boro/

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa To Build Mausoleum For The Late Isaac Boro! by tomakint: 10:46pm On May 16, 2013
There must be a chromosome called 'bravery' embedded in the genes of the Ijaws! I can't imagine how a young Major Isaac Boro could hold the whole Nigerian federation to ransome for 12 good days despite having very few 'soldiers' to himself just to liberate his people! Now that's what I called 'Mark of Bravery'! Rest in Peace Isaac Boro cool

3 Likes

Re: Bayelsa To Build Mausoleum For The Late Isaac Boro! by Nobody: 11:31pm On May 16, 2013
He is a true heroe and a freedom fighter I respect n cherish him any day I remember him, a man dat left his university degree in chemistry halfway n took up arms to liberate his people from d exploitation of d wicked govt. Selflessly is really a man!
I hail ur courage major Adaka, n ur legacy shall never b washed away in oblivion! We shall keep it going, always remember we Niger deltans Love and respect you n shall forever will,my heart is heavy wt tears as I write
RIP sire cry
Ur compatroit Ray

3 Likes

Re: Bayelsa To Build Mausoleum For The Late Isaac Boro! by tomakint: 11:36pm On May 16, 2013
Raymondenyi: He is a true heroe and a freedom fighter I respect n cherish him any day I remember him, a man dat left his university degree in chemistry halfway n took up arms to liberate his people from d exploitation of d wicked govt. Selflessly is really a man!
I hail ur courage major Adaka, n ur legacy shall never b washed away in oblivion! We shall keep it going, always remember we Niger deltans Love and respect you n shall forever will,my heart is heavy wt tears as I write
RIP sire cry
Ur compatroit Ray
Indeed, Nigeria is a funny country where heroes die unsung and the villains are wildly celebrated!

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa To Build Mausoleum For The Late Isaac Boro! by ijawcitizen(m): 9:45am On Oct 18, 2013
A great hero

Adaka Boro lives forever.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa To Build Mausoleum For The Late Isaac Boro! by tarryT(m): 10:37am On Oct 18, 2013
My hero, my mentor....fearless, intelligent, brave, handsome, wise....true son of his father.

Am so happy Gov. Dickson is doing this...

Izon tubu...taaah! Opu nana oooo!! Izon awo angonumo o.

Uno ba alagba sebaya...fon ke go ladei..

Alagba fei o, ogidi fei o tein kpo sowugha..
Re: Bayelsa To Build Mausoleum For The Late Isaac Boro! by ijawcitizen(m): 11:10am On Oct 18, 2013
tarryT: My hero, my mentor....fearless, intelligent, brave, handsome, wise....true son of his father.

Am so happy Gov. Dickson is doing this...

Izon tubu...taaah! Opu nana oooo!! Izon awo angonumo o.

Uno ba alagba sebaya...fon ke go ladei..

Alagba fei o, ogidi fei o tein kpo sowugha..

Alagba mo, fun mo, wo gbolei kere mene. Zini Ibe otu bo, obori ke pade. Wo asise kere anda timi Niger Delta Ibe bo se, Izon Ibe se Opu dein ango agbeimo yor suo mini. Wo pulu bo, owoye ye. Tamara kpo wo momo emi.

Ise fa! Tein kpo suogha!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

May Be With This Scores We Will Learn To Luv GEJ. / Why Acn’s Form Of Opposition Is Extinct / Presidency Replies Buhari On The Call For President's Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.