Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,475 members, 7,891,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 11:53 PM

Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers (8486 Views)

Meet Hajia Gambo The Female Truck Driver At Dangote / "President Jonathan Is Chairman Of Boko Haram" - Maiduguri Truck Drivers To BBC / PhD, MBA Holders Apply As Truck Drivers At Dangote Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by MalasparkBlog(m): 10:30am On May 18, 2013
The Lagos State Government on Friday said it had just employed 70 women as truck drivers, as part of efforts to empower women in the state.
The Deputy Gov., Mrs Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, announced this at a news conference in Ikeja organised to mark Gov. Babatunde Fashola`s sixth year in office.

She said that the women had been trained on driving large vehicles before they were deployed to the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) as waste truck drivers.
“We are also considering training and empowering women as Taxi drivers. We are currently examining some security risks that these women might face driving taxis.
“But we hope to partner with some hotels in the state on how we can attach some of these female taxi drivers to them, so that we can track who they are dropping off, in case there is a problem,“ she said.

Orelope-Adefulire, who oversees the Ministry of Women Empowerment, stressed that gender equality and women empowerment were top on the agenda of the Fashola administration.
She said the government had established a number of skills acquisition centres across the state, saying that thousands of women had acquired trade skills at such centres, to set up their businesses.

The deputy governor added that women entrepreneurs who were in need of tools and equipment for their trades had also been assisted by the government with such needs.
She said the government, through the ministry, had facilitated micro-credits for small-scale business women, to assist them grow their businesses.

Orelope-Adefulire said the government was making steady progress at attaining the 35 per cent Affirmative Action with the appointment of more women into top positions in the state.
“Though we are yet to attain 35 percent Afirmative Action, we are aggressively working towards it.Today. we have more and more women occupying top positions in government.
“68 judges, 92 magistrates and 52 Permanent Secretaries is a indeed progress. We are still working harder and we will surely surpass the 35 per cent target at the end of the day,“ she said.

The deputy governor, however, decried the growing cases of domestic violence in the state, saying that the government was taking appropriate steps to control the trend.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/lagos-employs-70-women-truck-drivers/
http://www.malaspark.com/2013/05/lagos-state-govt-recruits-70-female.html?m=0

1 Like

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by superior1: 11:44am On May 18, 2013
A good move
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by pressyhaywhy(m): 11:48am On May 18, 2013
wot a man can do a woman can do beta... Gr8t move
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by bebe2(f): 11:52am On May 18, 2013
I bet they will be better drivers, less chance of being drunk and no raging testosterone.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by thrugemaster(m): 11:53am On May 18, 2013
pressy-haywhy:
wot a man can do a woman can do beta... Gr8t move

fallacy
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by gentlegg(m): 11:54am On May 18, 2013
MalasparkBlog: The Lagos State Government on Friday said it had just employed 70 women as truck drivers, as part of efforts to empower women in the state.
The Deputy Gov., Mrs Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, announced this at a news conference in Ikeja organised to mark Gov. Babatunde Fashola`s sixth year in office.

She said that the women had been trained on driving large vehicles before they were deployed to the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) as waste truck drivers.
“We are also considering training and empowering women as Taxi drivers. We are currently examining some security risks that these women might face driving taxis.
“But we hope to partner with some hotels in the state on how we can attach some of these female taxi drivers to them, so that we can track who they are dropping off, in case there is a problem,“ she said.

Orelope-Adefulire, who oversees the Ministry of Women Empowerment, stressed that gender equality and women empowerment were top on the agenda of the Fashola administration.
She said the government had established a number of skills acquisition centres across the state, saying that thousands of women had acquired trade skills at such centres, to set up their businesses.

The deputy governor added that women entrepreneurs who were in need of tools and equipment for their trades had also been assisted by the government with such needs.
She said the government, through the ministry, had facilitated micro-credits for small-scale business women, to assist them grow their businesses.

Orelope-Adefulire said the government was making steady progress at attaining the 35 per cent Affirmative Action with the appointment of more women into top positions in the state.
“Though we are yet to attain 35 percent Afirmative Action, we are aggressively working towards it.Today. we have more and more women occupying top positions in government.
“68 judges, 92 magistrates and 52 Permanent Secretaries is a indeed progress. We are still working harder and we will surely surpass the 35 per cent target at the end of the day,“ she said.

The deputy governor, however, decried the growing cases of domestic violence in the state, saying that the government was taking appropriate steps to control the trend.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/lagos-employs-70-women-truck-drivers/
http://www.malaspark.com/2013/05/lagos-state-govt-recruits-70-female.html?m=0
A woman can never be equal to a man. In fact that concept is devilish from Biblical perspective. I believe in women empowerment but not gender equality.
@ topic
good motive, but bad move.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Ogbaruoigwe1(m): 11:57am On May 18, 2013
its a nice move
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by elobext: 11:57am On May 18, 2013
A good move. Ride on lagos state government.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by omiobo: 12:01pm On May 18, 2013
bebe2: I bet they will be better drivers, less chance of being drunk and no raging testosterone.

Bhuahahahahahaha!!! Anything man can do woman can do better.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Greekbreed(m): 12:01pm On May 18, 2013
Oya now,,carry go lagos state government,,but if anything happens in the future,dont say had i know.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by BuBBle1(f): 12:04pm On May 18, 2013
For what naa,training peoples mum's to be agbero.Is that the best opportunities for their feminine race. Their madam's at the top can they do that kind of job sef. My opinion!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Demdem(m): 12:08pm On May 18, 2013
_BuBBle_: For what naa,training peoples mum's to be agbero.Is that the best opportunities for their feminine race. Their madam's at the top can they do that kind of job sef. My opinion!

Are those agberos not some peeps dad?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by ebamma(m): 12:10pm On May 18, 2013
_BuBBle_: For what naa,training peoples mum's to be agbero.Is that the best opportunities for their feminine race. Their madam's at the top can they do that kind of job sef. My opinion!
my own opinion is dat it is better than ashawo work also known as runs girl

1 Like

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by kobofun(m): 12:14pm On May 18, 2013
bebe2: I bet they will be better drivers, less chance of being drunk and no raging testosterone.
who say's..? testosterone has its positives and i also know some women who drink lot than ten men put together. Nice move LASG wink
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by nwawuweneonye: 12:17pm On May 18, 2013
gentlegg:
A woman can never be equal to a man. In fact that concept is devilish from Biblical perspective. I believe in women empowerment but not gender equality.
@ topic
good motive, but bad move.
Are you listening to them. Gender fire
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by ezedolar: 12:18pm On May 18, 2013
Baby is ok! Is ok!! Ukwu ru ga ala
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by nwawuweneonye: 12:20pm On May 18, 2013
Its alright, employment generation but I don't think that's the best they can do for the women of Lagos statem
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by ifeomabernard(f): 12:41pm On May 18, 2013
are u kiddin me shocked
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by bebe2(f): 12:47pm On May 18, 2013
kobofun:
who say's..? testosterone has its positives and i also know some women who drink lot than ten men put together. Nice move LASG wink

The kind of women dat will apply for this job are unlikely to be out till 12 midnight in bars drinking or chatting knowing they Are meant to be at work the next day.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Encoredme(m): 12:47pm On May 18, 2013
That job's dirty and smelly. They should think of something better
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by GboyegaD(m): 12:50pm On May 18, 2013
All these petty things our governments exaggerate can be so annoying. What is the big thing in a woman driving a truck?
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by uhuns: 1:00pm On May 18, 2013
Gud effort
I saw it happened in calabar/uyo 5yrs ago and in edo stare 2yrs ago.
secondly to the site owner remove rule 17
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Nobody: 1:19pm On May 18, 2013
Woman dey drive truck
Woman dey drive molue
Woman dey drive BRT
Woman dey do okada
Woman dey work for bank
Woman full oil company.

Thats why nigerian jobless men are not getting jobs anymore.

This Beijing woman conference done over achieve wetin dem suppose to achieve. So sad.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by BuBBle1(f): 1:23pm On May 18, 2013
ebamma: my own opinion is dat it is better than ashawo work also known as runs girl
Demdem:

Are those agberos not some peeps dad?
. what is wrong with engaging them in offices, and ensuring that since they can drive trucks they shd use their initiatives for development and fighting corruption. Women shd appear elegant(not ashawo either) at all times not like agbero,that is my ownooo
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by deols(f): 1:24pm On May 18, 2013
The government should give them better jobs. Many people saying good move wouldn't want their female relatives in this situation.
Imagine any of them being pregnant and driving trucks.
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 18, 2013
This has been on for a while now.. I often see dem in da LAWMA buses within VI and It's Environs
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by mutaalim(m): 1:50pm On May 18, 2013
But truck driving is not befitting women
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Demdem(m): 2:02pm On May 18, 2013
_BuBBle_: . what is wrong with engaging them in offices, and ensuring that since they can drive trucks they shd use their initiatives for development and fighting corruption. Women shd appear elegant(not ashawo either) at all times not like agbero,that is my ownooo

nothing is wrong in that. There is also nothing wrong in engaging them as truck drivers also. afterall they are humans.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by coputa(m): 2:06pm On May 18, 2013
Its not all job that is suited for a woman..women are more productive in administrative job like the one madam is doing.,they are home makers,they need jobs that will give them less stress and enough time to cater for their family...This LAWMA job is hazardous,it has health risk,these women are exposed to health challenges...is this employment or dehumanization of the human (feminine) person...our women should be given a pride of place in the society,they are our mothers...they are not dirty carriers..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by Phikom(m): 2:16pm On May 18, 2013
good move anyway
Re: Lagos Recruits 70 Female Truck-Drivers by imperiouxx(m): 3:18pm On May 18, 2013
mutaalim: But truck driving is not befitting women

See yourself, in the US women drive articulated trailers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets / Nigerian Senator Caught Kissing Married Woman In His Office / Hoodlums Kill 400 Cows During Protest In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.