Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,761 members, 7,965,882 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 12:36 AM

Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? (2282 Views)

Is It Polite For Husband To Seek Wife's Approval On This? / Check Out My Son @1 / What Are The Procedures And Processes For Adopting A Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 19, 2013
pls i would like to know if my husband to be can legally adopt three months old son. his birth cert is carrying his biological father's name, but i can still get a new one carrying my own surname if that will make it easy cos i was not married to his father.
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 19, 2013
pls comment if u know the procedures or u've witness this before
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 19, 2013
missmishel: pls i would like to know if my husband to be can legally adopt three months old son. his birth cert is carrying his biological father's name, but i can still get a new one carrying my own surname if that will make it easy cos i was not married to his father.

Your husband can legally adopt your baby son. Of course you'll require consent from your son's biological father, if he's alive. If he refuses to give consent, things could get really difficult, though not impossible.

As far as I'm aware, you can't easily have a birth certicicate ammended, so I would advise you consult an experienced solicitor well versed in Family Law.

I noticed you haven't stated what country / state / city you live in, as Family Law differs according to location.
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Nobody: 12:31am On May 20, 2013
thank u. am in nigeria. what if my baby's birth cert is carrying my surname, will his biological father still be contacted? he dont want the baby and i dont know his whereabout.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by biolabee(m): 6:04pm On May 21, 2013
OP.. have u contacted a lawyer...

I hear legal adoption is a bit stressful in naija as those people wan collect money... go to social services in Alausa n get more info
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 21, 2013
Truth be told, the adoption process is a very tiring one in Nigeria, and you can't be too sure right now that he doesn't want his baby. Most men shy away from diapers and poo and night time crying of their babies, but when he becomes a brilliant 7 year old and has been properly potty trained, they show up with their family members to take 'their' son.

Before you do anything, get the consent of his biological father in writing, and get witnesses.

Your husband to be shouldn't be in too much of a hurry. You don't want trouble in 20 years from one man who's only claim to your son is a similarity in their DNA.
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by baby124: 6:42pm On May 21, 2013
mollytinrox: Truth be told, the adoption process is a very tiring one in Nigeria, and you can't be too sure right now that he doesn't want his baby. Most men shy away from diapers and poo and night time crying of their babies, but when he becomes a brilliant 7 year old and has been properly potty trained, they show up with their family members to take 'their' son.

Before you do anything, get the consent of his biological father in writing, and get witnesses.

Your husband to be shouldn't be in too much of a hurry. You don't want trouble in 20 years from one man who's only claim to your son is a similarity in their DNA.
Gbam! You cannot have the boy adopted by someone else in the father's absence. The father did not fall from thesky, so I am sure there are ways to reach him if you want to. Except he was a random one night stand. Make sure you get it in writing. And really, don't be obsessed about the issue. If it happens, fine. If it doesn't, that's fine too. Biological father and real father can mean different things. Your new guy doesn't have to give your son his name to be a father to him. In the future, you will still have to tell your son where he comes from. If you don't, someone else will.
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Nobody: 7:16pm On May 21, 2013
thank u all for ur contribution. just that i dont want the father of my child closer to him now may till he's old enough to take decision on his own. that's just what am trying to do. we were about geting married and i was months pregnant, but his mom refused to suport cos am not from his tribe and before i know, he changed, walk away and start dating another woman. so they dont care about my baby too and that's why i want to do everything to protect my child.
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Nobody: 6:30am On May 22, 2013
missmishel: thank u all for ur contribution. just that i dont want the father of my child closer to him now may till he's old enough to take decision on his own. that's just what am trying to do. we were about geting married and i was months pregnant, but his mom refused to suport cos am not from his tribe and before i know, he changed, walk away and start dating another woman. so they dont care about my baby too and that's why i want to do everything to protect my child.

We are still saying the same thing. If he doesn't want him now, he'll want him later. Just get his consent.

Is it when he gets married and can't bear a son and comes to get his child that you want us to say 'we told you so?'.

No one has said give your child to him. Just get his consent that he's relinquishing most, if not all the rights to your son. Then you can contact a good family lawyer and get your son properly incorporated into your new family. Wish you the best.
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Nobody: 9:06am On May 22, 2013
missmishel: thank u all for ur contribution. just that i dont want the father of my child closer to him now may till he's old enough to take decision on his own. that's just what am trying to do. we were about geting married and i was months pregnant, but his mom refused to suport cos am not from his tribe and before i know, he changed, walk away and start dating another woman. so they dont care about my baby too and that's why i want to do everything to protect my child.
You know wot?
Call him or find a way to geyt in touch with him.
Tell him u r getting married and wot happens to the boy.
Is he still going to be responsible for him or not?
Does he really want anything to do with the boy now or later?
From his answers you shld know the step to take.
If he is bothered about him, dont change his name
If he doesnt bother, please go ahead
It is just dat most boys like that when dey grow up, they will always want to answer dir biological father's name
I know of a situation dat happened to a man.
Be4 he met his wife, he was dating an ibo lady. She got pregnant and dey fell out. He got married to his wife and after the woman was coming then with dat child but later stopped
Till 2day that man hasnt set eyes on his first child. This happened over 45yrs ago.
Are u telling me dat man will still b answering his father's name. He hasnt even made any effort to look for his father. Nobody knows if he is still alive or not.
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Nobody: 2:58pm On May 22, 2013
alright. i will try to contact him. but he's very anoying. he may not want to pick my calls, but i'll try to reach him. am not beging him to show love or care to his son. my child has all the love and care he need. as for the birth cert, i've contacted the hospital and i will get another one bearing my surname as my child surname to make it easy cos we were not married and he did not come with his family to appear to my family for his child.
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 22, 2013
[quote author=mollytinrox]

We are still saying the same thing. If he doesn't want him now, he'll want him later. Just get his consent.

Is it when he gets married and can't bear a son and comes to get his child that you want us to say 'we told you so?'.

No one has said give your child to him. Just get his consent that he's relinquishing most, if not all the rights to your son. Then you can contact a good family lawyer and get your son properly incorporated into your new family. Wish you the best.[/ thank u. i will try to contact him. just that he's very anoying. he may not want to pick my calls.
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by Youngpo413: 2:22pm On Dec 05, 2014
Some men sha
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by mutter(f): 2:55pm On Dec 05, 2014
Could it be that your husband is a foreigner or has a foriegn passport and you want to take the baby abroad?

If you want the interest of the child go and contact the family and let them do what is to be done so that the boy bears his fathers name. That is in the best interest of the child.
Your husband will have his own children and this boy will not be regarded or accepted as his first son.
Whatever issue you have with the father of the boy is irrelevant for the boy. That man is his father and the more you try to fight it the more you loose the battle.
Do not make a mistake you will only regret later.
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by kandiikane(m): 4:53pm On Dec 05, 2014
Quick question, Did you meet your husband whilst you were pregnant?
Re: Can My Husband To Be Adopt My Son? What Are The Procedures Pls? by edwife(f): 5:33pm On Dec 05, 2014
Nairalanders are funny,more than 1 year? cheesy

Maybe the man adopted the boy and another one on the way..... undecided

(1) (Reply)

I Witnessed A Child Delivery Tonight / 10 Signs To Know Your Husband Loves You / Beautiful accessorized gemstones bracelets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.