Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,762 members, 7,882,625 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 10:27 AM

The Need - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Need (849 Views)

Why Do Humans Feel The Need For A God? / Dear Atheist, Do You Feel The Need To Be Thankful? / Religious Reform: The Need Of The Hour For Greater Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Need by DeepSight(m): 10:44pm On May 20, 2013
Can any one quess why I find this picture telling and interesting?

2 Likes

Re: The Need by Ishilove: 11:08pm On May 20, 2013
Deep Sight:
Can any one quess why I find this picture telling and interesting?
Awwww... sad
Re: The Need by mkmyers45(m): 2:19pm On May 21, 2013
eyah cry cry
Re: The Need by DeepSight(m): 2:43pm On May 21, 2013
^ Why una dey fall my hand na?
Re: The Need by mkmyers45(m): 2:49pm On May 21, 2013
Deep Sight: ^ Why una dey fall my hand na?

She finds solace in a figure who should be there for her? What if she grows to never learn that she needs a mother will she still yearn it? Its touching but i will like you to let me in on what i should see..
Re: The Need by Nobody: 2:49pm On May 21, 2013
Either
a. The baby assumed the fetal position at the stomach region of the drawing.

or

b. your 'q' in 'quess' was a deliberate error.
Re: The Need by PastorKun(m): 4:03pm On May 21, 2013
@Deepsight

I guess you are trying to say humans create their image of God based on an innate need for a god.

2 Likes

Re: The Need by plaetton: 4:38pm On May 21, 2013
Very very touching. Actually brought tears to my eyes.
But I could make several theistic and atheistic arguments for the above.
It just depends upon which perspective one is viewing this.
From whichever perspective, it truly touches the human spirit.
Re: The Need by ooman(m): 5:15pm On May 21, 2013
the child needs to wake up, she lives in a world where 95% of its humans are dumb believers in a god who make them murderers and iddiots.
Re: The Need by Ishilove: 10:34pm On May 21, 2013
ooman: the child needs to wake up, she lives in a world where 95% of its humans are dumb believers in a god who make them murderers and iddiots.
Here we go again undecided
Re: The Need by DeepSight(m): 10:53pm On May 21, 2013
Pastor Kun: @Deepsight

I guess you are trying to say humans create their image of God based on an innate need for a god.

[size=24pt]Score: 100 % ! ! ! ! ! ![/size]

1 Like

Re: The Need by wiegraf: 11:09pm On May 21, 2013
Staged
Regardless, but staged

1 Like

Re: The Need by plaetton: 12:08am On May 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

By the same token we can assert that humans get easily addicted to opioids and other narcotics and hallucinagens because humans have an innate need for.........?
Illusions of wellbeing , grandeur, mental clarity and control?
Do you agree?
What is the difference between the cravings for narcotics? and the cravings for god?
Re: The Need by ooman(m): 7:26am On May 22, 2013
plaetton:
What is the difference between the cravings for narcotics? and the cravings for god?

shocked
Re: The Need by DeepSight(m): 8:24am On May 22, 2013
plaetton:

By the same token we can assert that humans get easily addicted to opioids and other narcotics and hallucinagens because humans have an innate need for.........?
Illusions of wellbeing , grandeur, mental clarity and control?
Do you agree?

O yes, correct, there is no problem with that. The logic still stands.
Re: The Need by PastorKun(m): 8:38am On May 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

What's my prize for getting the answer right? smiley

1 Like

Re: The Need by Nobody: 9:06am On May 22, 2013
@OP Sir,

The girl in question has the knowledge that a kid is supposed to have a Mother. She might have seen other kids with their Mothers/Parents, no? This is certainly not the same as creating an imaginary god in our minds just because we do not have and feel there is need for one.

The girl's case is different, she doesn't have a Mother and felt there is need for one because she knew kids are supposed to have Mothers. Just my opinion!

Nice picture, BTW! This thread is a the front page material...
Re: The Need by DeepSight(m): 9:40am On May 22, 2013
doubleDx: @OP Sir,

The girl in question has the knowledge that a kid is supposed to have a Mother. She might have seen other kids with their Mothers/Parents, no? This is certainly not the same as creating an imaginary god in our minds just because we do not have and feel there is need for one.

The girl's case is different, she doesn't have a Mother and felt there is need for one because she knew kids are supposed to have Mothers. Just my opinion!

Nice picture, BTW! This thread is a the front page material...

That's the same way Humans have a conscious experience that everything finite has a cause and origin. This is exactly why the generality of Humans per force believe that they have a cause and origin, in spirit, mind, and thought, no?

1 Like

Re: The Need by wiegraf: 2:01pm On May 22, 2013
Just a note before y'all get ahead of yourselves, more accurately it's an innate need for an alpha, usually male, hence the resemblance of gods to man. Funny xtians, assuming your omnipotent god looks like you. Very omnipotent.

It's simple biology, look at the various species around. If ants became conscious, they'd worship the great, strong, wise (eventually intangible, as the search for evidence proves fruitless) super-ant. A capable leader who could even save them from the perils of death, give them a purpose, explain the gaps etc.

Considering the ridiculous amounts we publish, we also have an innate need for pron, but I'm sure y'all would blame the devil for that
Re: The Need by bolaino(m): 5:06pm On May 22, 2013
wiegraf: Staged
Regardless, but staged
I never thought you and I could see eye to eye on any issue, but I agree with you on this, @op, that's staged, it's very obvious, and yes, man has an innate feeling that there's something bigger than him, and he has been trying to understand this feeling but has not succeeded, and I doubt if science can be able to explain unravel this mysterious "feeling"
Re: The Need by plaetton: 7:38pm On May 22, 2013
bolaino: I never thought you and I could see eye to eye on any issue, but I agree with you on this, @op, that's staged, it's very obvious, and yes, man has an innate feeling that there's something bigger than him, and he has been trying to understand this feeling but has not succeeded, and I doubt if science can be able to explain unravel this mysterious "feeling"

But ofcourse, look at the infinite universe and see how tiny and insignificant we are in the grand scheme. That is what drives us, to understand our place or role in an infinite universe that does not give a rat's bottom whether we exist or not.
It's not about god. Its about trying to validate and justify our existence in an impersonal universe.
The creation of god is a temporary fix to assuage our fears and anxieties till we know more about the universe and how it works.
The more we know about the universe, the less our reliance on this temporary mental construct that we call god.
This has been self evident over the past 200yrs .

2 Likes

Re: The Need by wiegraf: 9:01pm On May 22, 2013
bolaino: I never thought you and I could see eye to eye on any issue, but I agree with you on this, @op, that's staged, it's very obvious, and yes, man has an innate feeling that there's something bigger than him, and he has been trying to understand this feeling but has not succeeded, and I doubt if science can be able to explain unravel this mysterious "feeling"

I'm an a$$, not stoopid. And don't take my antics personally.

Look up the antrophic principle if you haven't before, somewhat related

1 Like

Re: The Need by plaetton: 9:01pm On May 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

That's the same way Humans have a conscious experience that everything finite has a cause and origin. This is exactly why the generality of Humans per force believe that they have a cause and origin, in spirit, mind, and thought, no?

What do you mean by conscious experience?
Fanciful play on words.

Another word for it might be "Enduring Fantasy".

Man has an enduring fantasy that that everything finite has a cause and origin that places him at the center as the ultimate fruit and pinnacle of creation.
Re: The Need by bolaino(m): 9:47pm On May 22, 2013
plaetton: [/b]

But ofcourse, look at the infinite universe and see how tiny and insignificant we are in the grand scheme. That is what drives us, to understand our place or role in an infinite universe that does not give a rat's bottom whether we exist or not.
It's not about god. Its about trying to validate and justify our existence in an impersonal universe.
The creation of god is a temporary fix to assuage our fears and anxieties till we know more about the universe and how it works.
The more we know about the universe, the less our reliance on this temporary mental construct that we call god.
This has been self evident over the past 200yrs .
I agree with you on this sir.
Re: The Need by bolaino(m): 9:17am On May 23, 2013
wiegraf:

I'm an a$$, not stoopid. And don't take my antics personally.

Look up the antrophic principle if you haven't before, somewhat related
the anthrophic principle is very interesting, but it's vague and that makes it not credible, there's no proof for it, and the theory is just made up of speculation and conjecture, and the theory supports the theists concept of a creator, everything is right for life on earth cos it was specifically created for life by a creator, in essence the anthrophic principle is a principle that's theists can use to support their claim of an intelligent designer.
Re: The Need by wiegraf: 11:20am On May 23, 2013
bolaino: the anthrophic principle is very interesting, but it's vague and that makes it not credible, there's no proof for it, and the theory is just made up of speculation and conjecture, and the theory supports the theists concept of a creator, everything is right for life on earth cos it was specifically created for life by a creator, in essence the anthrophic principle is a principle that's theists can use to support their claim of an intelligent designer.

I don't think you quite get it. And it isn't a scientific theory per se, but it's solid reasoning. It's a bit similar to a thread @kay has atm dealing with his case against the existence of god.

For starters, imagine if there were no conscious life in this universe, and no other universe with any conscious life could interact, in any way, with it. Could you now say this universe exists?

1 Like

Re: The Need by bolaino(m): 12:11pm On May 23, 2013
wiegraf:

I don't think you quite get it. And it isn't a scientific theory per se, but it's solid reasoning. It's a bit similar to a thread @kay has atm dealing with his case against the existence of god.

For starters, imagine if there were no conscious life in this universe, and no other universe with any conscious life could interact, in any way, with it. Could you now say this universe exists?
lol, well, in that case sir, I will agree that the universe does not exist,
Re: The Need by wiegraf: 12:17pm On May 23, 2013
bolaino: lol, well, in that case sir, I will agree that the universe does not exist,

Don't call me sir, what have I done to deserve respect? And nice steven weinberg.

Anyways, so a basic prerequisite is that for a universe to exist, there must be conscious life to acknowledge it, yes?

1 Like

Re: The Need by bolaino(m): 12:28pm On May 23, 2013
wiegraf:

Don't call me sir, what have I done to deserve respect? And nice steven weinberg.

Anyways, so a basic prerequisite is that for a universe to exist, there must be conscious life to acknowledge it, yes?
yes I agree with you, the universe exists cos we exist,
Re: The Need by wiegraf: 12:40pm On May 23, 2013
bolaino: yes I agree with you, the universe exists cos we exist,

Eventually we even come to wave's collapsing. It's mind boggling I tell ya'

Anyways, it's rather easy to see why a sentient species might assume this unbelievably gargantuan universe was custom made very specially just for them.

Well, in many ways it isn't, but you get the point.

Anyways, kudos good ser.

1 Like

Re: The Need by bolaino(m): 1:08pm On May 23, 2013
wiegraf:

Eventually we even come to wave's collapsing. It's mind boggling I tell ya'

Anyways, it's rather easy to see why a sentient species might assume this unbelievably gargantuan universe was custom made very specially just for them.

Well, in many ways it isn't, but you get the point.

Anyways, kudos good ser.
aye aye captain, thank you for indulging me in this discussion, I have learnt a thing or two,

(1) (Reply)

Sexual Segregation In Church - What Is The Reason For This / SERMON JOTTERS: You And Your Foundation / JESUS Is Alive!!! Let's Sing About It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.