Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,658 members, 7,979,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 01:01 AM

6 Steps To Increasing Your Productivity This Week - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 6 Steps To Increasing Your Productivity This Week (581 Views)

Shocking: How Your Clothes Can Determine Your Productivity / Tackling Depression At Work As A Productivity Strategy / The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

6 Steps To Increasing Your Productivity This Week by infonubia(m): 4:19pm On May 21, 2013
Hi Nairalanders! It seem like the year is running on turbo speed. Can you believe we are in the fourth week in May already?

This week, we'll be exploring six steps to improving productivity at work. Shall we?

1. Set clear goals for the week and write them down

Setting goals is an essential component of being productive. Doing this at the beginning of the week gives you a clear picture of what the week looks like, and it helps you to be better prepared for unanticipated tasks that may be added to your work list during the week.

Your goals should be SMART - Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. You have a greater chance of achieving goals that meet all five criteria.

2. Prioritize your goals

Review your list and prioritize based on the value-add of each task and the deadline. The priority can be adjusted accordingly as things come up during the week.

Prioritizing also helps with allotting appropriate time to each task.

3. Create a clear action plan

Having a plan of action is a good way to make sure you don't derail from your goals. You know what to do at any given time and you have a good understanding of how to go about your tasks.

In the process of creating an action plan, you are likely to identify tasks that may require additional assistance from a teammate or other colleagues and you are able to allot some time for such.

4. Concentrate on the task at hand

This is a step I'm still trying to master. Once time has been allotted to each task, it is important to spend the time wisely so you can complete the task within the given time frame. The quickest way to get a task completed is to fully focus on it without interruption.

I think about how many times I begin a task and I get an email that gets me sidetracked. The funny thing is the email might not necessarily be urgent but I still get carried away nonetheless.

5. Work smart

While the number of working hours is important, the quantity and quality of work is even more important. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you have difficulties with a task. Leverage the resources available to you - your peers, seniors, Google, and other resources at work. Don't spend too much time trying to figure things out when you can just talk to a colleague who can help.

Also, think about steps that can be eliminated or figure out smarter ways to perform some tasks. Can some of your repetitive tasks be automated?

6. Take breaks

As silly as this may sound, breaks are an important part of the work day. They provide an opportunity to rejuvenate by taking your mind off work for a little bit. The danger, however, is in taking unnecessary breaks or spending too much time socializing while on breaks.

When used appropriately, breaks enhance your productivity by making sure you don't get burnt out before the day is over.

Being productive at work does not only help your company, it also helps you become better at time management and before long, all that hard work will be noticed and rewarded.

How About You?
I'd love to hear about your strategies. How do you stay productive? Do you do something similar to what I have listed or you have a completely different routine?

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/05/6-steps-to-increasing-your-productivity.html

(1) (Reply)

Help Zone! / Executive Assistant Needed At Zercom Systems / Pls Where Can One Take Comptia A+ Test In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.