Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,975 members, 7,946,225 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 02:37 PM

Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) (23294 Views)

Agagu Burial Rites Commences today / Ta Orji Disgraced At Aba During Ojukwu Burial Rites / Final Burial Rites Of Ojukwu To Begin On Saturday 11th February (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by successking: 7:08pm On May 22, 2013
An icon in the literary world! RIP
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by deskossy(m): 7:21pm On May 22, 2013
His memoir done more harm dan gud 2 his image,wat he said abt Awolowo a respected nigeria icon is unacceptable..and am nt a yoruba,b4 al u tribalist go all ballistic on me,bt he is gr8 man..d president will attend his burial,d body jst arrived.....RIP SIR
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by ekoileee: 7:32pm On May 22, 2013
Must you people hide everything even the most benign statement or undisputed written fact?. Can we have an honest back n forth as Nigerians without all the tribal sensitivities and censorship?

You people do more harm than good. Geezzzz.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Sheriffc(m): 8:13pm On May 22, 2013
It is falacious to say a man is a Great man, because in the hussle of his trade he distinguished himself, . I think those that assert this premised their conclusion on obvious error and a very faulty one at that, with due respect to all with opinion that Papa Chinua Achebe was a great man; Is just that I am yet to see the reason(s) for that (or maybe I have not listened enough).

I'm of the opinion that he was a great writer and a good storyteller whose works tell the stories of his people, but a 'great' man in the context of greatness?...nah! I don't think we are fair enough to ascribing greatness to a man who from his writing one could see traces of tribalism- or could one call it enthic promotion?

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by ManOfThePeople(m): 8:29pm On May 22, 2013
RIP
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Eziachi: 8:36pm On May 22, 2013
eko ileee:

They are obviously writing theirs with many counter views and have been since the book came out including what many are objecting to on NL.
Inconsequential views on Nairaland is not a book.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Mecdiamond: 8:37pm On May 22, 2013
Return If Possible, d diction hero
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Eziachi: 8:39pm On May 22, 2013
deskossy: His memoir done more harm dan gud 2 his image,wat he said abt Awolowo a respected nigeria icon is unacceptable..and am nt a yoruba,b4 al u tribalist go all ballistic on me,bt he is gr8 man..d president will attend his burial,d body jst arrived.....RIP SIR
Thats your view-millions of others might disagree. Go and write your own book and venerate Awolowo, one man's icon is another man's something else. Thats the way it goes.
By the way, can you quote the particular chapter or page of the memoir you are having headache with or maybe you haven't read it too?

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Eziachi: 8:44pm On May 22, 2013
Sheriff©:
It is falacious to say a man is a Great man, because in the hussle of his trade he distinguished himself, . I think those that assert this premised their conclusion on obvious error and a very faulty one at that, with due respect to all with opinion that Papa Chinua Achebe was a great man; Is just that I am yet to see the reason(s) for that (or maybe I have not listened enough).

I'm of the opinion that he was a great writer and a good storyteller whose works tell the stories of his people, but a 'great' man in the context of greatness?...nah! I don't think we are fair enough to ascribing greatness to a man who from his writing one could see traces of tribalism- or could one call it enthic promotion?
You should write a new dictionary and maybe refined the word greatness in your prism terms, then the world will become a paradise. One man's tribalism is another man's objective and truthfulness. Live with it until your version of dictionary is out.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by ekoilee: 8:53pm On May 22, 2013
Eziachi:
Inconsequential views on Nairaland is not a book.

Pretty much according to you.....
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by amoco(m): 9:21pm On May 22, 2013
I congrate some pple here who think they have become nairaland prefects and principalities. How shallow-minded they are. The more they expose their shallow-literacy,the more this graet icon gets more accolades.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Raiyo: 9:24pm On May 22, 2013
Truth be said.. no matter how much some people bash him, THEY WISH THEY HAD THE LEAST VESTIGES OF WHAT THIS MAN HAD.

Don't hate,

Strive for excellence, and the world just might go down on it's knee for a fleeting moment when they realize that you have departed.

Na N'udo onyeoma!

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Eziachi: 9:32pm On May 22, 2013
eko ilee:

Pretty much according to you.....
Of course its according to me, if you disagree, go and accord yours.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by ekoileee: 9:38pm On May 22, 2013
Eziachi:
Of course its according to me,

Now you know why I relegated that pointless and redundant statement to the bottom of the pits.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by emmatok(m): 9:58pm On May 22, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

People respected and admired him until he wrote that tribal book There Was a Country.

If Nigerians know anything, we know how to spot a common tribalist. That book ruined his reputation here in Naija.

HMM
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by aljharem(m): 10:00pm On May 22, 2013
Sheriff©:

well said. a good (not great) writer does not make a man great. He is an enemy of progress and tolerance whether we like it or not. The truth be told a tribalist is a tribalist whether he is a good writer or not

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Eziachi: 10:07pm On May 22, 2013
eko ileee:

Now you know why I relegated that pointless and redundant statement to the bottom of the pits.
You do that. If you need any assistance, just yell.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Eziachi: 10:08pm On May 22, 2013
alj harem:

well said. a good (not great) writer does not make a man great. He is an enemy of progress and tolerance whether we like it or not. The truth be told a tribalist is a tribalist whether he is a good writer or not
Now you said it, go drink that garri with some kwuli.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by amoco(m): 10:10pm On May 22, 2013
See their warped minds. Pple who will never ever be remembered for anything good in their lives are here to show d world their level of insecurity.Almost everyone is struggling to read this man's book now to know why d whole world said he was an achiever.

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by eagleeye2: 10:30pm On May 22, 2013
Out of Respct for what Achebe stands for I plead with my Igbo brothers and sisters not to respond to any TRIBAL insults or hateful words hurled at Chinua Achebe from now till his Intered into Mother Earth.
R I P The Great Literary Giant. Adiue. Goodnight.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by ekoileee: 10:35pm On May 22, 2013
Eziachi:
You do that. If you need any assistance, just yell.

Why yell for assistance for what I did already with ease and satisfactorily? That makes no sense, not even elementary sense.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Ribaman(m): 10:48pm On May 22, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

People respected and admired him until he wrote that tribal book There Was a Country.

If Nigerians know anything, we know how to spot a common tribalist. That book ruined his reputation here in Naija.

That's your view, and you entitled to yours. I disagree with you, I doubt if you have read his last book. In that book, Achebe tries to tell you what went wrong at the birth of this country. He is keen to tell you the mistakes we made, but you are only interested in a tribal reading/viewing/interpretation of his works..
I make bold to say that " There was a Country" will become required reading in Nigeria, when eventually we rescue this country from the dogs that currently hold her hostage.
He was not a tribalist, he was a courageous man. A man who was capable to telling the truth.

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by bobthebuilder99(m): 10:57pm On May 22, 2013
Riba_man:

That's your view, and you entitled to yours. I disagree with you, I doubt if you have read his last book. In that book, Achebe tries to tell you what went wrong at the birth of this country. He is keen to tell you the mistakes we made, but you are only interested in a tribal reading/viewing/interpretation of his works..
I make bold to say that " There was a Country" will become required reading in Nigeria, when eventually we rescue this country from the dogs that currently hold her hostage.
He was not a tribalist, he was a courageous man. A man who was capable to telling the truth.

I did read the book, and he spent the entire book painting Igbos as flawless saints, who were so perfect, and rich, and pretty, that the rest of Nigeria became jealous and massacred them.

Do you honestly think something like that is based in reality?

Achebe was one of the leaders of the Biafra government, so it's not surprising that he is upset that his government collapsed. It's also no surprise that his "memoir" about the collapse of Biafra is full of so much hate towards the tribes of his old war enemies.

Look at the Igbos who have read the book, and how they act. Clearly, this book is not having a positive effect on society.

Btw, the most compelling rebuttal to his book was written by a Kenyan. You can find it on the Amazon.com review page. I would post it here, but it is too long.

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Bgino(m): 11:09pm On May 22, 2013
truly there was a country...and in that country there was a man..or was there never a country? RIP
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Moralistli(m): 11:29pm On May 22, 2013
RIP Sir!
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Johnsinia(m): 11:30pm On May 22, 2013
Sheriff©:

some one please help me with the DISLIKE botton.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by SIRCLEAN(m): 12:12am On May 23, 2013
Hiring a plane is spelled - Charter and the continuous form is "chartering".

To talk quickly and continuosly about things that are not important is "chattering".

And the 2 words have different pronounciations.
in all,i say adiue to the brain builder of our time.

To talk quickly and continuosly about things that are not important is "chattering".

And the 2 words have different pronounciation

And the 2 words have different pronounciations.[b][/b][/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Nasir El-rufai Inspects Kaduna Airport Terminal Construction (photos) / President Buhari Receives Leaders Of Ogoniland At State House Abuja (Photos) / Bayo Adelabu ‘Penkelemesi’ Emerges Oyo APC Governorship Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.