Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,839 members, 7,898,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 12:35 AM

UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids (5428 Views)

2016 Budget: N362M To Feed Animal In Aso Rock; N0.00 To Feed School Children / Jonathan, Reason We Can't Give School Kids Free Meal Or Pay N5,000 Monthly- APC / Relax Abortion Laws For B’haram Victims, UN Urges FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Babalegba(m): 1:56pm On May 26, 2013
Unfortunately feeding school kids will only encourage ignorant people to have kids like maggots, hoping that one of the kids will somehow achieve financial breakthrough in life. It would lead to overpopulation, poverty and crime. The best thing is to hold all parents responsible for the nutritional needs of their children but to feed orphans
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by hensben(m): 2:03pm On May 26, 2013
chidindufrank: So many hungry adults will take the opportunity to go back to school o
grin
chidindufrank: So many hungry adults will take the opportunity to go back to school o
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by sanandreas(m): 2:50pm On May 26, 2013
Good idea but i dnt think dat is what we need now. Provide pple with jobs. They can carter for their children.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by ucheokpara100(m): 2:53pm On May 26, 2013
my people nigeria's problm is too much o. all d tins oda con3s 're enjoyin we dnt even hv any, who wan listen 2 u wen u tell thm 2 feed children. look our leadas reasons somhow, thy 'll tell u weida na thm tell thm 2 over born?
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 26, 2013
If that happen, i go return back 2 primary school sharp sharp. grin grin grin
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 26, 2013
UN is absolutely right... Feed em kiddos with and lots of vegetables.

Especially in Nigeria where i heard the president consumes food worth of $50,000 a day for his fat son, daughter and his ugly asss wife.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 26, 2013
SLIDE waxie: And who said they are hungry? If u see wot those kids pack to school as lunch, u won't say a thing!

All fingers are not equal. Yet there are kids that take nothing to school and beg at break time from other kids.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by tinkinjo: 7:11pm On May 26, 2013
Probably with loan they'll extend...when the west was developing they never attempted such, not even now ...
These guys seem not deterred in coming up with policies aimed only at stagnating the progress Africa is making.

They 'll never, for example, advised African countries not to sign exploitative trade agreements with the EU...
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 26, 2013
I whole heartily concur to that. I think UN is stating the truth. Merely looking at some of our kids you would wonder what is wrong with them in a nation blessed with abundant variety of food and fertile land.

Something needs to be urgently done about it. There should also be urgent need to address the population and the deplorable health sector - this must become a thing of the past.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Sunofgod(m): 7:43pm On May 26, 2013
Probably they want us to consume some 'Monsanto' foods to help sterilise the nation . . .

Oyibo and there 'helpful' ideas.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by LabourParty(m): 7:52pm On May 26, 2013
Yes, it's time we start feeding kids in school, at least just lunch will do. It's difficult to learn when you are hungry.

I know the FG will come and tel us that they can't afford to feed kids in school, and we all know that is a lie. I'm sure 100 Million Naira can feed this kids a day.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by emiye(m): 7:57pm On May 26, 2013
LabourParty: Yes, it's time we start feeding kids in school, at least just lunch will do. It's difficult to learn when you are hungry.

I know the FG will come and tel us that they can't afford to feed kids in school, and we all know that is a lie. I'm sure 100 Million Naira can feed this kids a day.

100million daily for all the kids in nigeria's public school? or whattusaying?
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by LabourParty(m): 8:01pm On May 26, 2013
emiye:

100million daily for all the kids in nigeria's public school? or whattusaying?

100 Million Naira will do for SW states, but close to 800 Million Naira will be enough for the entire Nation.

Please note this for primary school kids only.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by LabourParty(m): 8:06pm On May 26, 2013
It's gonna be difficult to get the figures correctly, because we don't know how many kids are in primary schools across the country. If we have this figures then we can talk about money.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by emiye(m): 8:08pm On May 26, 2013
Instead of feeding those kids,use that money to give their mothers micro credit , and guide them to success to ensure they channel the fund rightly, they will feed their children.

(2) make family planning clinics free of charge for those who want to adopt a f.p technique, condom distribution free of charge for registered families, training on fp....the problem with nigeria is not that we are really overpopulated, but many poor households continue to pop kids they cant take care of.

A poor man giving birth to 5-6 kids knows he cant take good care of them, but in his warp sense he prefers to play gambling with the kids, and believe with or without taking good care of them, at least 1 out of the 5kids may come out succesful later in life to take care of him at old age.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by emiye(m): 8:14pm On May 26, 2013
LabourParty:

100 Million Naira will do for SW states, but close to 800 Million Naira will be enough for the entire Nation.

Please note this for primary school kids only.

Even if govt will only spend N100 daily per kid, then that will only accomodate 1 million school children in S/w public school. I believe there should be over 3 million kids in public primary schools in south west, on conservative estimate.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by LabourParty(m): 8:18pm On May 26, 2013
emiye: Instead of feeding those kids, give their mothers micro credit , and guide them to success to ensure they channel the fund rightly, they will feed their children.

(2) make family planning clinics free of charge for those who want to adopt a f.p technique, condom distribution free of charge for registered families, training on fp....the problem with nigeria is not that we are really overpopulated, but many poor households continue to pop kids they cant take care of.

A poor man giving birth to 5-6 kids knows he cant take good care of them, but in his warp sense he prefers to play gambling with the kids, and believe with or without taking good care of them, at least 1 out of the 5kids may come out succesful later in life to take care of him at old age.

If you give them credit and their business fails, what will happen to the welfare of the kids? Without proper financial education 80% of them will waste the money within a year.

It's is a violation of human rights when you tell people how many kids they can have. Only if we want to be a country that will disregards human right laws. And I'm sure that is a bad way to build a democratic nation.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by emiye(m): 8:34pm On May 26, 2013
LabourParty:

If you give them credit and their business fails, what will happen to the welfare of the kids? Without proper financial education 80% of them will waste the money within a year.
Micro finance schemes depending on approach can give business training, instead of giving them fish, teach them how to catch fish, moreover many are doing one business or the other at the moment.

LabourParty:

It's is a violation of human rights when you tell people how many kids they can have. Only if we want to be a country that will disregards human right laws. And I'm sure that is a bad way to build a democratic nation.

Dealing with ignorance and damaging habits does not have to done with force, suggesting optimal number of kids is not infringing any human rights. Awareness campaign on how generational cycle of poverty is enthrenched when you dont plan your family is part of the strategies.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 26, 2013
I TOTALLY AGREE.

CHILDREN IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS SHOULD BE FED.

i am opportuned to be currently serving in a primary school at ikeja.

The condition of those children is really terrible and heart breaking.

I will give a detailed write up on Naira-land with pictures
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by emiye(m): 10:33pm On May 26, 2013
icebeatz: I TOTALLY AGREE.

CHILDREN IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS SHOULD BE FED.

i am opportuned to be currently serving in a primary school at ikeja.

The condition of those children is really terrible and heart breaking.

I will give a detailed write up on Naira-land with pictures

Oh Oh, i like it when people go to serve and realise how poverty pervades the system, it is a pointer that the proclaimed 70-80% poverty rate is not far from reality.

Ikeja is the capital of the most cosmopolitan city in nigeria, and one will least expect to see high incidence of poverty in such kind of urban setup, but.....
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Abrantie: 11:27pm On May 26, 2013
Even small Ghana has a national school feeding program since early 2000. Shame on the "Giant of Africa".

1 Like

Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Bidvest2020: 7:56pm On May 27, 2013
Abrantie: Even small Ghana has a national school feeding program since early 2000. Shame on the "Giant of Africa"
A shame,isn't it. and yet the impression often created on nl is that nigeria is rich n ghana is poor,huh? mo gbe oo!
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by redsun(m): 10:01pm On May 27, 2013
They don't even have school uniforms and shoes,talkless feeding.It takes alot of efforts to feed kids and it has to be organized,planed to detail and professionally executed.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 27, 2013
GIANT OF HUNGER

1 Like

Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Nobody: 11:23am On May 28, 2013
zetdee: GIANT OF HUNGER
You are very funny, dude! Do you think they don't eat at all? The truth is that many parents who give birth to too many children are very disadvantaged in Nigerian society. I don't know why the Nigerian society so much put value on having too many children and failed to take good care of them. Even the well to do children still have this kind of problem. Greed and corruption have eaten deep into the whole system.

If we are to take like the Ikejo school in Lagos somebody mentioned about earlier as being the center of this issue in perspective you would find out that those children are not only from poor home some of them are from average home. The is that the parents are not always willing to provide for them as it is required of them. They want them to struggle for their lives on their own, which is one of the things I found to be wrong in the cultural value of parents in that society looking to see their kids responsible for themselves at an early age. This goes to prove one of the reasons some of these kids are over-labor, with the huge child-labor prevalent in all large cities and towns in Nigeria. It is time government ban street children from trading and make sure they are put back to schools.

The root cause of the problem is diverse, the population can easily be pointed to as not been addressed against the Nigerian resources. The government has not taken food security into order of importance and make sure the Agricultural sector is given huge support by engaging in mechanized farming itself. And, to provide support to people who have huge land lying unused somewhere in the forest or arid regions of the country. There has to be programs to encourage people to go into farming, both educated and unskilled people.

I disagree with just providing fund for the feeding alone. If that is done we know there might be some error likely to happen along the line, that the money will never be fully used for the purpose it is meant for to feed the hungry school kids. There has to be other methods, like to pay food companies around the country on supplying school children necessary nutritional food. That we have seen China has done very well in some of it villages were hungry children are feed some nutritional food. Each student is given a little 2 little carton of milk(of about 250ML) daily before studies in the morning and it has help this kids to be attentive than before sleeping and hardly pay attention in classes. And, providing government shops around the country for highly subsidized food. This happens in some Arab countries, where government shops sell food to the poor citizens at a very cheap prices far below the usual market prices.

Again, the truth is that the nation has been neglecting the population problem of that country. The huge influx of internal migration and little awareness about given birth to too many people is abetting the problem to what could have been a thing of the past. I think the population tasked sector to look into such problem has not done anything positive to find solution to the continuous increase in the Nigerian population, most especially, the urban population who suffers this hunger the most.

On the final note, the simple solution(there has never been a simple solution though)is for the government to start taking responsibility of educating parents on the need to stop having many children. This should be make sure programs on on televisions are aired to dissuade parents from having many kids, a house-to-house campaign to reduce the population and give benefits to those family who have one or two kids(as a way to stop people from having more children). There should be provision for small scale business fund and provision for some kind of community loans. The system should be re-organized, this is one of the reasons planned programs usually fail in that country. There is too much desire by those in positions to steal. At least they should reason with their heads for once to make sure what these fund is meant for is done with good minds and hearts. Indeed,the people need a thorough soul-searching to make this possible.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by dasparrow: 1:59pm On May 28, 2013
zetdee: GIANT OF HUNGER

True, just like your country South Africa is the GIANT OF XENOPHOBIA and racism. Dude, your frustrated self is still on Nairaland? I guess no randland huh?
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by softangel(m): 5:07pm On May 28, 2013
emiye:

my little search showed it is for (pri 1-3) a total of 155,318 pupils. It is not bad, but i have reservations about such programmes for a state like Osun

http://www.o-meals.com/address-delivered-by-the-deputy-gov-of-the-state-of-osun/.

If it is only Pry 1-3 that are benefiting from this free meal in Osun State, then i wonder if Pupils in public schs ll not be deliberately failing their exams in order to repeat Pry 1-3 and v free meals forever.
Re: UN Urges Nigeria To Feed School Kids by Dibiachukwu: 10:34pm On May 28, 2013
What we actually need is a Well planned welfare system.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Vatican Finally Comes Out To Declare Their Luciferian Religion. / 600 Terrorists Killed In Russian Cruise Missile Strike In Syria / Igbos Seem To Support Shiite Muslims Against Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.