Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,329 members, 7,881,226 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:43 PM

Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam (8492 Views)

Fashola Commissions Jebba Hydro Power Plant In Niger State (photos) / Ghana To Go Nuclear; Targets 700MW Of Power In First Phase / Nationwide Electricity Peaks At 4500MW As Brazilian Firm Builds 700mw Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by subnormal: 4:16pm On May 29, 2013
takeprofit:
1.Check his records. Hw many projects has he flagged off. How many has he completed.
2.If u think 700 MW is small. Hw many did past administrations before him build? how many has been built during his administration alone.

i'm beginning to realize that no matter what u do, some people will still talk bad about u. Even if Gej cuts 2 of his legs and hands for nigeria, some people will still complain why didn't he cut his head.

the best is for u to ignore such pple and do the best u can do to improve human life and for the records. That's all.

THis guy was elected to serve, shld be evaluated on the basis of what he has done, not what his predecessors failed to do. The 700MW power plant is good but not great, this country needs at least 30,000MW so GEJ wld need to up his game if we are to have uninterrupted power supply
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by subnormal: 4:33pm On May 29, 2013
delvinmaya:

Daft post. With the amount of work u mentioned, can even u make a headway? Lets call a spade a spade, why do those sectors have ministers,DGs,PSs if not to overlook? the way some people post, u'd think that jonathan should as well come manage their household, or that he is the witch toying with their destiny

HOw is it a daft post? If a company fails, the CEO takes responsibility for it, in the same way, GEJ shld be held accountable for the performance of the FG. Let's face it, GEJ has not done enough to roll out the drums. Why do we love celebrating mediocrity, why can't we demand a better performance frm our leaders,
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 29, 2013
I am not saying that we need the whole 50,000MW from one Dam.

I am not an engineer so it is up to the engineers to carry out a feasibiltity study and I can see no reason why a major river like the River Niger cannot provide us with at least 10-20,000MW

A tiny 700MW is hardly worth the effort in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by Babaji111(m): 4:43pm On May 29, 2013
WE had the same story during OBJs regime. Let us wait and see it implemented first bfo making recommendations. All na bla...bla...as usual. undecided
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by ogb5(m): 5:07pm On May 29, 2013
GenBuhari: I am not saying that we need the whole 50,000MW from one Dam.

I am not an engineer so it is up to the engineers to carry out a feasibiltity study and I can see no reason why a major river like the River Niger cannot provide us with at least 10-20,000MW

A tiny 700MW is hardly worth the effort in my opinion.

You are becoming a bit sober now.

Allow engineers to advice you.

Building power dams require natural resources, in this case water and Mountains. If you don't have both there is nothing you can do about it.

That is why no one is talking of dams in the Niger delta although they have the most amount of water, there are no mountains there per se.

feasibility study of this dam was done 20yrs ago, if there are bigger prospects they would also have been documented somewhere, you can help and search if there are documented better prospects that exist.

Remember the Manbilla dam will provide over 3000 mw when completed so if this dam is designed for 700MW it only means that is the capacity it can support.

The Northerners complained the majority of the NIPP power projects were gas based and as such were sited in the south, GEJ is trying to make the North believe we are all one hence he is also building dams in the north. Just appreciate his effort and criticise constructively

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 29, 2013
Yes I'm an engineer so atleast I can comment. All I hear is "when so so dam is completed" "when this project is executed" etc. Let the FG execute one project from start to completion before they start their propaganda. You know what, an easier way would be to grant autonomy and full resource control to each state or to each region so each region can solve its own problems but will our govt ever listen? You take resources of Rivers and use it to build power plant in kano. How does that make sense. Each state should develop its own resources. Atleast every state has one resource or the other. 700MW by the FG of Nigeria governing up to 200 million people with a thousands of MW of power deficit isn't such an achievement or is it?
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by ogb5(m): 6:32pm On May 29, 2013
12 inches!:
Yes I'm an engineer so atleast I can comment. All I hear is "when so so dam is completed" "when this project is executed" etc. Let the FG execute one project from start to completion before they start their propaganda. You know what, an easier way would be to grant autonomy and full resource control to each state or to each region so each region can solve its own problems but will our govt ever listen? You take resources of Rivers and use it to build power plant in kano. How does that make sense. Each state should develop its own resources. Atleast every state has one resource or the other. 700MW by the FG of Nigeria governing up to 200 million people with a thousands of MW of power deficit isn't such an achievement or is it?

As an engineer now talk like an engineer, how long does it take to build a standards 4 floor building from land acquisition to Installing Finishing on the building.

Do you know that the projects being completed by Akpabio in Akwa Ibom today were designed by the previous governor?
For development there should be continuity, if the NIPP started by Obasanjo was continued by Yar Ardua we would have been enjoying it today.

As an Engineer you should know that good engineering design and construction takes time to actualise. Of course you can have political roads built in six months only to be washed off by the next rains

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by ikweremilitant: 6:37pm On May 29, 2013
norseman2: NA wa o! Nigerians re already congratulating, wen we all no wht will happen nxt, hw many times ve we heard dis types of story? dis pple shuld jst kip shut, wen d work is finished n we strt havin steady light, den de will strt advertising it. We ve been hearing dis since 1914.
nd yet u hosted a street carnival over fasholas proposd 10mW project
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by Nobody: 6:51pm On May 29, 2013
Most Infrastructural Feasibility studies were conducted by Gowon not long after the civil war.

It therefore should not be assumed that feasibilty study was carried out for a Niger River Dam and even if it were feasible that it would have been politically acceptable commission it at the time.
ogb5:

You are becoming a bit sober now.

Allow engineers to advice you.

Building power dams require natural resources, in this case water and Mountains. If you don't have both there is nothing you can do about it.

That is why no one is talking of dams in the Niger delta although they have the most amount of water, there are no mountains there per se.

feasibility study of this dam was done 20yrs ago, if there are bigger prospects they would also have been documented somewhere, you can help and search if there are documented better prospects that exist.

Remember the Manbilla dam will provide over 3000 mw when completed so if this dam is designed for 700MW it only means that is the capacity it can support.

The Northerners complained the majority of the NIPP power projects were gas based and as such were sited in the south, GEJ is trying to make the North believe we are all one hence he is also building dams in the north. Just appreciate his effort and criticise constructively
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by cjrane: 8:14pm On May 29, 2013
THIS IS A WONDERFUL PROJECT. ONE HOPES IT COMES ON STREAM SOON
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by aniiii(f): 10:11pm On May 29, 2013
i give up angry
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by egregous: 11:04pm On May 29, 2013
playmode: [size=15pt]

Secondly why a mere 700MW dam? Why not buy 2 or 3 turbines so that the dam can at least generate 1400MW or 2100MW ,this donkey is a big Joke.In South Africa the minimum power generating plant they build generates at least 4800MW but in Nigeria odenathan builds a 700MW dam.FRESH AIR bunch of morons!

[/size]

Why not buy more lavatories for one flush?
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by thefunclubenterprise(m): 8:06am On May 30, 2013
ogb5:

I said it, One of the mischievous ones grin

Go back to the thread where they are praising construction of 10MW in Lagos

Obviously 10 is higher than 700 to you

Leave him he doesn't know what a mega watt is that's why, 1 mega watts is a million watt,
700 MW = 700,000,000 watts, now do you know the magnitude of such power
Just one station producing 700MW is fair enough, give them credits!, and be learned before you comment.
God bless you
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by CROWE: 11:14am On May 30, 2013
the funclub enterprise:

Leave him he doesn't know what a mega watt is that's why, 1 mega watts is a million watt,
700 MW = 700,000,000 watts, now do you know the magnitude of such power
Just one station producing 700MW is fair enough, give them credits!, and be learned before you comment.
God bless you

That is a pretty poor example to use though, 1,000,000 Naira is over 130,000,000 vietnam dong so the fact that the watts are in hundreds of millions doesn't say much for it, for all he knows 700,000,000 watts may not be enough to power a car or it may be enough to power a country, to put the amount of power that is into perspective you need to tell him how much he can do with that much power not the bare value on a scale that he cannot immediately understand.

/not criticising, just giving a bit of advice.
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by thefunclubenterprise(m): 6:54pm On May 30, 2013
Doesn't he see power ratings in his everyday electronics?
Doesn't he hear 60 watts bulb?, doesn't he see 2KW pressing irons (2000 watts). Doesn't he see 2kva (KVA = KW , if phase is = 1, and in most generators phase is =1) so 2kva gen is 2kw (2000 watts generator), if that can power your house! Then compare
700,000,000 to 2000

I hope he can learn from this
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by CROWE: 7:41pm On May 30, 2013
the funclub enterprise: Doesn't he see power ratings in his everyday electronics?
Doesn't he hear 60 watts bulb?, doesn't he see 2KW pressing irons (2000 watts). Doesn't he see 2kva (KVA = KW , if phase is = 1, and in most generators phase is =1) so 2kva gen is 2kw (2000 watts generator), if that can power your house! Then compare
700,000,000 to 2000

I hope he can learn from this

It doesn't matter how often he has seen it, if he doesn't care about it he will not notice or register it, that is how people are, ALL PEOPLE(even you).
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by Yorubaman40: 12:46am On May 31, 2013
playmode:

[size=15pt][b]1. What records Please list the projects he has flagged off and how many he has completed.No seriously please list them because i am am ignorant of such information and will like to be enlightened.

2.This is not an excuse,i never liked the previous administrations either.If i was president i would not build a 700MW Dam when i have more than enough money to build a bigger dam.In civilized countries ,they plan infrastructure based on population growth and needs.They don't look back and refuse to build infrastructure because the previous Government did not.My point is that we can EASILY afford bigger power plant and we seriously need them so the patriotic thing to do is to commit at least 70% of our annual income to building power plants.

President Zuma is barely educated yet he is building six power plants ,two of which will be generating at least 4000MW in South Africa for a population of 50 million people with $37 billion while our Ph.D holding president is building 700MW plants for a population of 160 million which growing rapidly.Do you not see something wrong there It is like trying to fix a tyre leak with chewing gum instead of fixing properly at a "vulcanizer".

Here are some questions i want you to answer truthfully:

How many Hospitals has he built in Lagos ,Abuja and Port harcourt?

How many old hospitals has he upgraded and re equipped with modern equipment?

Why does he and his wife travel overseas to get treatment while the president of South Africa gets treatment in a South African hospital?

How many roads has he built and completed?

How many old roads has he upgraded completely?

How many Airports out of the 30+ he promised to build has he completed?

What notable infrastructure has he built in Lagos,Port Harcourt and Abuja since becoming President?

How many low cost housing has he built for Nigerians?

Why did he contract a foreign company to spy on Nigerians?

Why did he add a bogus $21 million to the isreali spy contract?

What has he actually done to the benefit of the average Nigerian?

Why did he pardon a corrupt politician?

Why is he supporting Jang who lost the NGF elections?

Why is he so corrupt and worse than all his predecessor?

What has he done with the minimum of $150 billion dollars Nigeria has earned since he became President?

What did he do with the $35 billion Obasanjo left in our foreign reserves,the money just disappeared,where did it go to?

Are Nigerians better off than they were 3 years? If your answer is yes please tell us how they are better off?

Do we have stable electricity or total black out?

How many of his election promises has he fulfilled?

Has he fixed Nitel and do we have land lines?

How many drainage systems has he fixed?

[/b]
[/size]
So, S/A is just building power plants to be completed in 2015 ? Despite all its resources when compared to Nigeria. After d following have rule : Mandela, Thambo Mbeki and now Zuma. Now i understand power infrastructure is not a joke world-wide. Well, if Jonathan can do all he has done in 2years he actually deserve some commendation. If it were that easy d Great Mandela would have done it in his first term. Indeed,a prophet is without honour in his hometown.
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by Staro: 5:00pm On Jan 25, 2020
Oga GEJ, come and see ZOMBIES crediting Buhari
for your project oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by Splashme: 6:49am On May 01
God bless GEJ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by Ikaeniyan0: 7:15am On May 01
eherbal:
This project like it's predecessors will never, I repeat never come to light. We all know how the cookie crumbles when it comes to power generation in this ill country. Tis very, very, very, frustrating I tell y'all.
It has eventually come to light after 10 years

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by Kingsmeal: 7:53am On May 01
God bless GEJ
Re: Jonathan Flags-Off Building Of 700MW Hydro-power Dam by SuperEagles: 7:58am On May 01
Nice initiative from Ebele Jonathan

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APGA ‘elects’ Guber Candidate Monday / Welcome To Umuahia / Don't You Forsee An Evolution Or Break-up Soon In Nigeria??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.