Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,581 members, 7,972,168 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 05:04 AM

Why Did Jesus Teach In Parables? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Teach In Parables? (851 Views)

He Decided To Teach Them A Lesson By Disturbing Them. Check The Pictures / Did Jesus Die for Our Sin? Which Sin? Ifeann Should Please Come In / Did Jesus Preexist His Birth - Honeychild, Bookmark And Ijawkid Let's Discuss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Jesus Teach In Parables? by huxley(m): 5:19pm On Apr 29, 2008
Mark 4: 12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them .

Is this the mark (no pun intended) of a good teacher?
Re: Why Did Jesus Teach In Parables? by PastorAIO: 11:20am On Apr 30, 2008
You tell me!
Re: Why Did Jesus Teach In Parables? by longman83(m): 4:23pm On May 01, 2008
huxley:

Mark 4: 12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them .

Is this the mark (no pun intended) of a good teacher?

Perhaps you should read the corresponding account in Matthew 13; it clears this issue up quite nicely.

Matthew 13: 10-18
10The disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?"

11He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 13This is why I speak to them in parables:

"Though seeing, they do not see;
      though hearing, they do not hear or understand.
14In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:

" 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
      you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
15For this people's heart has become calloused;
      they hardly hear with their ears,
      and they have closed their eyes.
   Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
      hear with their ears,
      understand with their hearts
   and turn, and I would heal them.'[Isaiah 6:9,10]

16But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

18"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means . . .

What this passage shows is that the while Jesus said everything in parables to the crowd, the meaning of those parables (aka the 'secrets ot the kingdom of heaven' from verse 11) was revealed only to the disciples. Why? Because, as Jesus indicates, the disciples possess a certain quality that the rest of the crowd lacks. Of the crowd Jesus says,
For this people's heart has become calloused;
      they hardly hear with their ears,
      and they have closed their eyes.

But to the disciples he says:
But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear.

In other words, the disciples were willing and ready to hear and accept the truth. This attitude qualified them for deeper knowledge of the truth about God. In contrast, the crowd having already closed their minds, were now in danger of altogether losing the the little they knew. This is the meaning of Jesus' words in verse 12:

Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.

So then, what is the mark of a good teacher? I submit to you that it is the ability to recognise a good student, and invest in him accordingly.
Re: Why Did Jesus Teach In Parables? by Ibime(m): 11:15pm On May 01, 2008
I think Huxley is just trying to pick at anything he can to disprove the existence of God without understanding the full context of his argument.
Re: Why Did Jesus Teach In Parables? by 4Him1(m): 11:17pm On May 01, 2008
longman83:

So then, what is the mark of a good teacher? I submit to you that it is the ability to recognise a good student, and invest in him accordingly.

What a wise answer!
Re: Why Did Jesus Teach In Parables? by TayoD1(m): 6:49pm On May 02, 2008
@topic,

Question: Why did Jesus teach in parables?

Answer: It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings. - Proverbs 25:2

@longman83,

Great answer.

(1) (Reply)

Knowing You Are Forgiven / Help! / Where Can I Get Spiritual E-books On Christianity & Religious Spirits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.