Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,636 members, 7,914,713 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 10:41 AM

That I May Know Him - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / That I May Know Him (1116 Views)

Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens (thur Jan 14th 2016) -that I May Know Him / Why I May Have To Leave The Catholic Church / I May No Longer Believe In God Existence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

That I May Know Him by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:44am On May 30, 2013
That I May Know Him
May 30, 2013

"That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death" (Philippians 3:10).

Paul deeply desired to know Christ in an intimate fashion--to experience an even deeper relationship. In our text, he lists three things which will also be known if we know Christ.

The power of His resurrection: The victory of Christ over sin and death exhibited His great power. Paul not only longed for an ultimate resurrected body, "if by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead" (v. 11), but he longed for the power over sin as well "to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:11).

The fellowship of His sufferings: Paul's desire to know Christ was so great he was willing, if need be, to suffer as He suffered. And, indeed, Paul did suffer in many ways (as seen in 2 Corinthians 11:23-27 and elsewhere). "For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps" (1 Peter 2:21). "If so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together" (Romans 8:17).

Being made conformable to His death: Paul was willing to die as Christ died and soon did die a martyr's death, beheaded in a Roman prison. But that is not in view here. Rather, he wanted to be like Christ in His death, gaining complete victory over all sin. "For he that is dead is freed from sin" (Romans 6:7).

To know Christ in this way, to be conformed to Him as Paul desired, primarily demands developing the servant's heart and selfless humility that took Christ to the cross (Philippians 2:5-cool to make it possible for us to know Him. JDM

For more . . . .

3 Likes

Re: That I May Know Him by Nobody: 10:00am On May 30, 2013
Do you know him ?
Re: That I May Know Him by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:06am On May 30, 2013
frosbel:

Do you know him ?

I know Him as my Saviour and Lord.

"That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death" (Philippians 3:10).
Re: That I May Know Him by Nobody: 10:10am On May 30, 2013
^^ do you know him ?
Re: That I May Know Him by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:16am On May 30, 2013
frosbel:

^^ do you know him ?

Yes. Does He know you?
Re: That I May Know Him by Nobody: 10:26am On May 30, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Yes. Does He know you?

where are the fruits to show for it ?

"You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act. Can you pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?" - Matthew 7:16
Re: That I May Know Him by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:34am On May 30, 2013
frosbel:

where are the fruits to show for it ?

"You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act. Can you pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?" - Matthew 7:16

What fruit are you looking for and what fruit do you show? Answer my question: Does He know you?
Re: That I May Know Him by Nobody: 10:43am On May 30, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

What fruit are you looking for and what fruit do you show? Answer my question: Does He know you?

Fruits of the Spirit.

For example :

"But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere." - James 3:17
Re: That I May Know Him by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:48am On May 30, 2013
frosbel:

Fruits of the Spirit.

For example :

"But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere." - James 3:17

Do you show these fruit?
Re: That I May Know Him by Nobody: 10:52am On May 30, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Do you show these fruit?

I am not the one promoting myself as a 'holier than thou ' professor of theology. wink
Re: That I May Know Him by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:58am On May 30, 2013
frosbel:

I am not the one promoting myself as a 'holier than thou ' professor of theology. wink

The thread is an invitation for Christians to know more of the Lord and the power of His resurrection. It is a platform for trolls to be invidious about. tongue
Re: That I May Know Him by Nobody: 11:27am On May 30, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

The thread is an invitation for Christians to know more of the Lord and the power of His resurrection. It is a platform for trolls to be invidious about. tongue

"hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." - Matthew 7:5
Re: That I May Know Him by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:47am On May 30, 2013
frosbel:

"hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." - Matthew 7:5

Even the devil is good at quoting the Scriptures.
Re: That I May Know Him by FortresOfChrist(f): 8:02am On May 31, 2013
Brothers, both of you should be an example. Many young Christians are looking unto you.

2 Timothy 2:24
Amplified Bible (AMP)

And the servant of the Lord must not be quarrelsome (fighting and contending). Instead, he must be kindly to everyone and mild-tempered [preserving the bond of peace]; he must be a skilled and suitable teacher, patient and forbearing and willing to suffer wrong.
Re: That I May Know Him by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:58pm On Jun 03, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Even the devil is good at quoting the Scriptures.

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Right, Christians or Muslims? A Discussion. / "Relax, Hell Does Not Exist": Evangelical Atheists Take to the Streets / Angel Appears To Choir In Rccg Church In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.