Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,611 members, 7,948,343 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 06:51 PM

Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? (21510 Views)

Why Is It Taking So Long For A Recruitment Firm To Hire After Interview? / Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? / Answering The Question,“ why Have You Been Unemployed For So Long?” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by stylesco: 5:23pm On May 30, 2013
I think most graduates are more intrested in the pay than in actually contributing to an organisation's growth.

I was in the salon today and I overheard two ladies talking about an interveiw with a Govt organisation that a friend of theirs attended.

From the conversation, I understood that the one who had the interveiw graduated 2005, while the other two talking graduated 2005 and 2002.

I was very surprised at the time they graduated and wondered why they where unemployed for so long. In my curiosity, I was forced to ask them why.
The other said 'she doesn't want to work in a private company she wants a govt job that private firms like using people for very little pay'.
I felt the reason wasn't good enough and told her so.
And they where like I won't understand.

They've both spent 8 and 11yrs respectively at home doing nothing cause of small pay.

My elder sis first Job she was paid 30k. That was about 4yrs ago and since then, she has changed jobs 4 times. I can't tell you how much has grown both professionally and otherwise.
She earns more than 10 times of what she started with and she's a very big asset to her company(even though private).

Please I'll still like to hear from you:
Is it right to stay at home just because of small pay?

And most importantly how is it that someone can stay for above 2yrs without any job at all?.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Evablazze(m): 5:27pm On May 30, 2013
Corruption, bad economy, selfish government dat all..1st pg

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by stylesco: 5:36pm On May 30, 2013
Evablazze: Corruption, bad economy, selfish government dat all..1st pg

I know but not 8yrs nau. Its crazy.
There are smaller private firms one could get attached to for the time being at least for experience sake. And manage the small pay.

Not sit at home waiting for something that may never come while your time is going.
I don't think its very wise.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by nanya124(m): 6:00pm On May 30, 2013
One simple truth is that most graduates usually have high financial expectations when they start their job search. This may be due to the fact they feel that so much has been invested in getting the degrees, or that people that had similar degree with theirs got good jobs after graduating. As time goes on and that job in picture isn't coming forth, such jobseekers may begin to consider one of those low pay jobs.
In my own view, a poorly paid job should only be considered if it will help an employee to build a desired career, such that subsequent jobs in that career line will offer better pay.

18 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by stylesco: 6:59pm On May 30, 2013
nanya124: One simple truth is that most graduates usually have high financial expectations when they start their job search. This may be due to the fact they feel that so much has been invested in getting the degrees, or that people that had similar degree with theirs got good jobs after graduating. As time goes on and that job in picture isn't coming forth, such jobseekers may begin to consider one of those low pay jobs.
In my own view, a poorly paid job should only be considered if it will help an employee to build a desired career, such that subsequent jobs in that career line will offer better pay.

You are right.
I agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by gozie701(m): 9:49pm On May 30, 2013
I will advise every graduate to start something no matter how small the income/salary is,surely there are goodies ahead.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by 1forall: 10:27pm On May 30, 2013
Someone once did a good analysis of the situation and gave 10 reasons why many Nigerian youth stay unemployed.

In the case of those two girls at the salon; if they were customers, I can only imagine how much the hairdo they came for cost. And they probably owned blackberry phones too? grin

style$co:
And most importantly how is it that someone can stay for above 2yrs without any job at all?.

In the case of the two girls, your guess is as good as mine wink

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:01am On May 31, 2013
Waiting for their "Dream Job" that pays millions is very hard not just in Naija but everywhere in the world. Try and keep yourself busy with the available job at the moment.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by EveryLadY(f): 10:02am On May 31, 2013
this is a good one.I wish all our corp members on Nairaland will take a cue from this thread,that is if they ever get to read this. Do not sit at home for any reason.Once ur NYSC is over,get busy doing something.Give urself some respect by not begging. Begging is not an option,no, not even from ur hubby.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Lilimax(f): 10:03am On May 31, 2013
young-dude:
Waiting for their "Dream Job" that pays millions is very hard not just in Naija but everywhere in the world. Try and keep yourself busy with the available job at the moment.
Very correct. Start off with something no matter how small and acquire the necessary experience on the job. When next you are being interviewed, it will no longer be as a fresh graduate without experience and this will surely make a difference in your pay when employed. smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:05am On May 31, 2013
so many factors contributes to unemployment.
1.level of education.
2.lack of basic infrastructure facilities to promote self employment.
3.wrong course studied in the university.
4.laziness.
5.inadequate industry.
6.overpopulation.
7.lack of capital to start own business.
8.witch or family curse.
9.desire to travel out.
10.pursuing shadow ambition.

so op, pick your choice.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by mysticgal(f): 10:06am On May 31, 2013
Because they feel like being unemployed cos someone who needs his hands working would go for hand work,it sometimes even pay than some white collar jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by emise: 10:08am On May 31, 2013
Small pay is nt an excuse.Some have gotten better jobs through the so-called small pay jobs.Those ladies sure have pple paying their bills.Eight years...say wetin happen?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:08am On May 31, 2013
read the post over and over again before you comment.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:08am On May 31, 2013
Not everybody want τ̲̅ȍ be under a pay master like Abati anϑ Reuben.Being under a pay master,you are duty bound τ̲̅ȍ follow his instructions whether you like ΐτ̅ or not.Moreover,majority who are not employ lack †ђξ capital τ̲̅ȍ start a business Ø̶̷̩̥̊͡Ƒ̶̷̩̥̊͡ their choice,‎​Ϟo wonder prostitution has become a legal anϑ recognised business which needs ‎​Ϟo initial capital.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by An0nimus: 10:09am On May 31, 2013
nanya124: In my own view, a poorly paid job should only be considered if it will help an employee to build a desired career, such that subsequent jobs in that career line will offer better pay.
or in some unfortunate cases, just put food on the table and survive firstsad

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Fhiminana: 10:09am On May 31, 2013
I belief there are jobs out there but the problem is do those seeking for jobs have the required skills and knowledge? On the other hand, graduate should be willing to work even for small pay with the sole aim of acquiring experience.
The eduction system does not prepare graduates to be self reliant as well while some graduates are not just employable... Take it or leave it. I had to terminate one's appointment 'cos cldnt cope.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by tellwisdom: 10:09am On May 31, 2013
Very common to our gurls... they actually think those useless universities scattered all over Nigeria is an asset to making millions after graduation undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by ozodigboo(m): 10:10am On May 31, 2013
The reason for staying unemployed, is that some people who have parents still caring for them, tend to relax without actually searching. Everyone wants to work in a bank,Shell BP, NNPC, etc
I am a medical doctor in a govt. hospital, and while the pay is not much, i derive joy in seeing ill people come to the hospital, and go home smiling.
Those smiles are worth more than any salary.

16 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by abdullkabar(m): 10:11am On May 31, 2013
Its complicated undecided
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by oluwasola01(m): 10:13am On May 31, 2013
People always think their college degree entitles them to a job/pay check. which is not so. it doesn't even entitles one to VIP service. It entitles you to nothing other than the realization that you've been duped by a trillion dollar industry that survives by keeping you shackled to an age-old ideal that no longer works in the modern age.

12 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:16am On May 31, 2013
Dats the problem we have in Portharcourt,avarybody wants to work in an oil company!But they fail to understand dat it does'nt happen dat way even d companies are'nt employing dat much.So our graduates start small get hands on expierence n u will get there.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by abatajjvii: 10:16am On May 31, 2013
very complicated
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:17am On May 31, 2013
laziness!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by jhydebaba(m): 10:17am On May 31, 2013
Because they expect manna to fall from heaven.

I am always amazed when people say they are unemployed, I still agree that many are underemployed even I am not an exemption but umemployment in Nigeria is as a result of laziness and building ego that is not there.

Graduates, ur certificate is just a mere paper and u should consider any job while looking for the real job that will consider ur "paper" as certificate.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by loswhite(m): 10:18am On May 31, 2013
Fhimi-nana:
I belief there are jobs out there but the problem is do those seeking for jobs have the required skills and knowledge? On the other hand, graduate should be willing to work even for small pay with the sole aim of acquiring experience.
The eduction system does not prepare graduates to be self reliant as well while some graduates are not just employable... Take it or leave it. I had to terminate one's appointment 'cos cldnt cope.
pls can u state how long u tolerated his/her incompetence

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 10:19am On May 31, 2013
oluwasola01: People always think their college degree entitles them to a job/pay check. which is not so. it doesn't even entitles one to VIP service. It entitles you to nothing other than the realization that you've been duped by a trillion dollar industry that survives by keeping you shackled to an age-old ideal that no longer works in the modern age.

My friend i so much love u comment,my job today to be frank has noting to do wit me degree bt d expierence i got from d old job i had....
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by roselynbas(f): 10:20am On May 31, 2013

corruption is in every country yet a lot of people have made it big. My take is they have no vision is why.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by alfredo4u(m): 10:22am On May 31, 2013
no, ask oga at d top
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by BlackPeni5: 10:22am On May 31, 2013
Many Nigerian graduates are not employable in the private sector...The quality of education received in the Universities is so low that you'll have to spend a lot of time and money retraining them yet they want to be paid big.

Also, many graduates are lazy as they want to be paid for doing nothing, that is why they seek jobs with the Federal Government where there's little or nothing to do.

I also know of sum1 who started off very low down the ladder, collecting about N30,000 as a graduate but now, levels don change. It is easier to get a job based on experience rather than qualification. A fact that many fail to understand.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by acidtalk: 10:23am On May 31, 2013
Reasons Why Majority Of Nigerian Youths Are Unemployed

https://www.nairaland.com/1305246/reasons-why-majority-nigerian-youths
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by sexymoma(f): 10:26am On May 31, 2013
Is due to Large population of the country, We are suppose to have a law that Guilds Child Birth, Atleast that might help. The population of Nigeria is increasing day by day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NNPC Recruitment Site Crashes After Announcing 2024 Job Vacancies For Nigerians / Apply For Cornerstone Staffing Massive Job Recruitment (over 300 Positions) / Latest Graduate Job At Etisalat Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.