Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,304 members, 7,947,456 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 08:08 PM

South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes - Politics (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes (76831 Views)

‘we Need To Get Nigerians Out Of America – Donald Trump / Donald Trump To Chase Nigerians Out Of US / Cameroonian Soldiers Chase Nigerians Out Of Bakassi (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by kwametut: 2:46pm On Sep 04, 2013
VILLAGE OF SPIRITS
By Dr Micheal Ortiz

ORIGINS OF AFRICAN AMERICANS IN US.

To clarify now before I move further, "Bantu" is not an ethnicity but a language group. Originating in the Nok region of Nigeria probably 2,500 years ago, the Bantu were never what is dismissively called a "primitive" culture. Likely by way of Nubia and the Sahel Corridor, presumably ultimately from Egypt, they spread the working of iron and the beauty and complexity of their worldview over rather a large section of Central, South and East Africa from Cameroon to Kenya, from the Cape of Good Hope to Uganda. There are many Bantu languages and many Bantu cultures, and at the same time, they make a fairly coherent whole. They are certainly united around the sacredness of water, and I know of no Bantu culture where water does not play a central role.

[b]Because of his fieldwork in West Africa and among the Dahomean diaspora in Haiti, Herskovits inevitably draws upon his understanding of the way of the water spirits from the sources he lived with. More recent scholarship has shown the overwhelming Bantu shape of African-American culture. It is when one looks at the water spirit tradition through a Bantu lens that the African shape of the black American soul comes into focus.

Before I get to the gist of the matter, let me explain why Bantu culture influenced the culture of the American diaspora to the degree that it has.

I'll begin first with the numbers, the percentages, that mind-numbing and terrifying way that we have come to measure human anguish. Philip D. Curtin estimates that by the end of the trans-Atlantic slave trade, roughly a third of African people lived outside of Africa, making the trade the largest forced migration in human history. About 4.5 percent of these ended up in the American colonies, the United States -- roughly 430,000 people.

A rough estimate is that 40 percent of those sold in the slave ports such as Charleston, South Carolina, Savannah, Georgia and New Orleans were of Bantu origin. After the trade was made illegal in 1807, the "Congo-Angola region became more and more important because the many channels and small islands at the Congo River's broad mouth made it easier for the slavers to skulk out of sight of patrolling English and American warships," writes Richard Palmer. Well into this century, African-born Bantu speaking ex-slaves still lived in America.

Winifred Vass writes, "For every slave landed alive, others died in intertribal warfare, deliberately instigated for the purpose of raiding, or along the trade route paths worn a meter deep into the earth that I have seen in Zaire. For every slave landed alive, others perished inside the stockades awaiting shipment or in the hold of the ships that made the perilous middle passage across the Atlantic."

After 1700 Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee and Mississippi maintained a black majority for over two centuries. Over two hundred Bantu place names in the South give a feel for the extent of the diaspora: Suwanee, Georgia; Loango, Alabama; Tuscawilla, Florida; Kolula Springs, Mississippi; Angola, Louisiana; Zacala, Virginia.

Aside from their numbers, "Bantu speaking slaves from Central Africa," writes Vass, "enjoyed a linguistic unity and ability to communicate with their fellow captives that slaves of West Africa did not share." Michael A. Gomez concurs: "Once removed from the West Central African context and relocated to America, however, the Bantu languages and cultures, their treatment as a single people by their captors, and the need to effect strategies of resistance necessarily encouraged the Congolese-Angolans to see themselves anew and forge ties of community."

These ties of community were further reinforced by the ethnic stereotypes that slaveholders carried about different African peoples. Certain West Africans such as the Mande were thought to make excellent "house negroes." Bantu, it seems, were best fit for working the rice and indigo fields, the short-staple corn and the cotton.

Given their numbers, the commonalities of culture and language and the work that ensured minimal contact with whites, it should not be surprising that the nucleus of black American culture is strongly Bantu. However, there is a final reason, somewhat more complex and rather difficult to state, that ensured a profound and subterranean continuity between Africa and America, and it brings us once again to the mystery of the water spirits.

IN SHORT THOSE WHO STUDIED MUSIC AT UNIVERSITY ABROAD SHOULD KNOW THAT JAZZ AND OTHER AFRO AMERICA MUSIC HAD STRONG BANTU AND MANDE INFLUENCE. Google that as well nigerians.[/b] cheesy cheesy cheesy shocked shocked shocked
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2013
Mthimbane.ZA:

Tell me how r we xenophobic?
Hasn't the title of this thread provide enough explanation? There are countless of threads on how South Africans have been hacking and burning alive other African immigrants due to xenophobia in your society. If you can't see the fact that your country has the worst xenophobic people on the continent all rather the world you are just being ignorant of the fact.

Please, try to Google on South Africa's Xenophobia. Shameless xenophobic people!
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 04, 2013
99cent: well, 90% of them are Igbo. I can't blame SA. Even Nigerians are deporting them out of their states grin
Shut up! This is different from being caught with drugs. This is about innocent people chased out of their home for stereotype based on xenophobia. This is profiling, you i-d-i-o-t!
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by MthimbaneZA(m): 5:46pm On Sep 04, 2013
all4naija: Hasn't the title of this thread provide enough explanation? There are countless of threads on how South Africans have been hacking and burning alive other African immigrants due to xenophobia in your society. If you can't see the fact that your country has the worst xenophobic people on the continent all rather the world you are just being ignorant of the fact.

Please, try to Google on South Africa's Xenophobia. Shameless xenophobic people!

Yes, I knew it u'll bring this stuff. I doubt u even once set ur feet in SA. Go back!! go back!! N do a a proper research. Start with how the incident started, why, who did it n where it occured. The conclusion is South African people condemned this incident.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by omonnakoda: 6:24pm On Sep 04, 2013
Do not argue or reason with them.They only understand the language of firm chastisement.Show no mercy!
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by kwametut: 9:05am On Sep 05, 2013
@Mthimbane
As I said STOP WAISTING TIME witha IGBO CRIMINAL. Atleast other Nigerians know how these people are.

By replying to his CR@P you're giving him something to talk about.

THIS IDIOT DOESN'T KNOW THAT SOUTHERN AFRICANS ARE LINKED LINGUISTICALLY AND CULTURALLY WERE PART OF MWANAMUTAPA EMPIRE.

In Zimbabwe example SHONAS are related to Vendas of Limpopo. There are NGUNIS(Zulu,Xhosa,Ndebele) in Zimbabwe those who studied HISTORY know ABOUT SHAKA AND HIS DESCENDENTS WHO ARE FOUND IN ZAMBIA,ZIMBABWE,MALAWI,SOUTHERN DRC,S MOZAMBIQUE ETC..
cheesy grin grin grin grin

This info is unknown by IGBO DRUG PADDLERS. cheesy grin grin grin
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by kwametut: 9:08am On Sep 05, 2013
@Omonnakoda
THANK U BRO FOR UR HONEST INPUT. Am sure if all Nigerians were like u your country would progress and be what ya'll want to be. BUT UNFORTUNATELY THERES THE "IGBO CURSE". grin grin grin grin grin

THE WHOLE WORLD HATES "IGBOS" EVEN OTHER NIGERIANS. cheesy cheesy
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 05, 2013
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by omonnakoda: 11:06am On Sep 05, 2013
kwame tut: @Omonnakoda
THANK U BRO FOR UR HONEST INPUT. Am sure if all Nigerians were like u your country would progress and be what ya'll want to be. BUT UNFORTUNATELY THERES THE "IGBO CURSE". grin grin grin grin grin

THE WHOLE WORLD HATES "IGBOS" EVEN OTHER NIGERIANS. cheesy cheesy
Our country is progressing,We are exporting them to you!!! grin grin
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by kwametut: 11:12am On Sep 05, 2013
@Omo
Yes Fashola/Yoruba is doing wonders in Lagos, pls GIVE THEM BIAFRA OR WE ALL AGREE TO SEND TO ANTARTICA OR MARS. Funny Igbos dont mind bragging about Lagos to Yorubas

Since it looks like WORLD IS TIRED OF IGBOS. cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 05, 2013
omonnakoda: Our country is progressing,We are exporting them to you!!! grin grin
Why waste your time replying to that nincompoop? It is better you spend that time on explaining to those with foresight in this forum, people like me and other who condemned xenophobia against African immigrants, not just Nigerians.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by kwametut: 9:21am On Sep 06, 2013
@Omo
GOOD YORUBA NIGERIAN=GOOD SPIRIT. While bad belle are hated all over. grin grin grin

all4naija: Why waste your time replying to that nincompoop? It is better you spend that time on explaining to those with foresight in this forum, people like me and other who condemned xenophobia against African immigrants, not just Nigerians.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by oscarlim: 6:36pm On Nov 06, 2013
what is happing to Nigerians
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by MthimbaneZA(m): 12:16pm On Nov 15, 2013
all4naija: Hasn't the title of this thread provide enough explanation? There are countless of threads on how South Africans have been hacking and burning alive other African immigrants due to xenophobia in your society. If you can't see the fact that your country has the worst xenophobic people on the continent all rather the world you are just being ignorant of the fact.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Say it again, how many incidents.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 15, 2013
Mthimbane.ZA:

Blah! Blah! Blah! Say it again, how many incidents.
Are you a sheep?! The number of times doesn't matter but the gravity of the action does. The past attacks will keep haunting your country as your people tends to continue the barbaric attacks on innocent African immigrants on the streets of your cities.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by MthimbaneZA(m): 3:10am On Nov 21, 2013
all4naija: Are you a sheep?! The number of times doesn't matter but the gravity of the action does. The past attacks will keep haunting your country as your people tends to continue the barbaric attacks on innocent African immigrants on the streets of your cities.

Yes it does, cos u r painting a bad picture 4 my beautiful SA where 1 burning incident of which I condemn, is x100 in your head. If I were you I would have kept quiet b4 I use the word ''babaric'' on SA. Cos I've got Bokoharam 4 you. Now did you ever set your feet in SA?
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by londoner: 3:37am On Nov 21, 2013
zeem_bab: I work and live in J'borg. For some of us exparts living in SA, the burden of being a Nigerian is enormous. Simply because our kinsmen are at the fore front of drug dealing and many other social vices. Much that I condemn the act of these people, I think they have the right within the ambit of law to do whatever they deem neccesary to get rid of whatever constitute threat to their community.
--Ade lives in Sandton !

Ade they should actually also be chasing you out of the community too. You are a Nigerian and therefore are a drug dealer in their eyes, so the day it happens to you, please dont come here crying crocadile tears.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by londoner: 3:39am On Nov 21, 2013
ifizi: I studied in s.a, n I must confess d rate in which nigerians dere do drugs is very alarming, dere was a time I was ashamed to say am a nigerian, even my brother was involved in the act. Its very annoyin, I dnt blame d south africans, who nor go nor knw

What are they doing about the demand side of things, or are Nigerians force feeding them drugs?
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by londoner: 3:40am On Nov 21, 2013
kwame tut: @Omo
GOOD YORUBA NIGERIAN=GOOD SPIRIT. While bad belle are hated all over. grin grin grin

Stop faking your Ghanaian identity, you are the run of the mill Yoruba tribalist and your posts here bear wittness to your identity.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by londoner: 3:44am On Nov 21, 2013

Stop faking your Ghanaian identity, you are the run of the mill Yoruba tribalist and your posts here bear wittness to your identity.

If every Nigerian tribe aside has to bear the shame of Yoruba sons beheading a soldier in broad daylight, hausa Boko Haram and underwear bomb terrorists or kidnapping on the high seas, why divide into tribes now?

Do those respective tribes, acrry the reputation and shame on their own or do all Nigerians bear it.

In fact, I would even say that if you consider drug dealing to beheading and suicide bombing.......drug dealing is actually the least, a drug dealer, although i dont agree with it, responds to a request for drugs from an addict.

No such request from the victioms of the other types of crimes tho.......
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by londoner: 3:53am On Nov 21, 2013
Sundouglas: Dumela!Im a proud Nigerian,lived and work in Gauteng for a decade.

Drug peddling is a common thing in Mzansi (S/Africa) Nigerians are not alone in the illicit biz,Mozambicans,Zimbabweans,Pakistanis and even locals do it.SAPS the police and other security agencies have been infiltrated by the cartels.

I have good South African friends,I see good Nigerians breaking new ground and doing legitimate business.

Stop the hating my South African brothers.Whom God has blessed no one can curse!

To Nigerians in South Africa, especially in yeoville and Hillbrow change your lifestlye,your actions bring shame to our dear country!

you can not preach to us to stop hating, while you talk from the other side of your mouth to defend their right to even chase out those you claim are doing legitimate business or even you.

You talk of others being involved, so why are you not advocating for the same treatment to be metted out to them too?

I cant stand Nigerians who are so confused, that they will defend another man's right to mistreat his own/her own.

Dont worry, if you are still in SA it will be you one day......

You are not even querying anything, no mention was made about any evidence or investigation in the article, just the nationality and people SA's and Nigerians alike think that concludes guilt.

SA has a prolem with drug addiction and it existed before Nigerians went there......it is their own living conditions that the poor have facef and their dashed hopes of a new SA under the ANC that has brough them to such a hopeless level to turn to drugs.......even their kids sniff glue.

I have heard about Hillbrow, but you will also know the good that some Nigerians are doing even there. i'm sure you know of the bocxing club their owned by a Nigerian who provides a means to keep kids out of trouble. He even trained their female world champion, but I wonder how muich attention he is given as a Nigertian doing good in Hillbrow? I actually got to know of him through the BBC who went to SA to do a feature on him, but in SA they would never do that because he does not fit the negative sterotype they want to project of Nigerians.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by londoner: 3:59am On Nov 21, 2013
I would like to know how many of the drug addicts are Nigerian in SA?

I would like to know if in SA contrary to the rest of the world, drug dealers force people to buy and use drugs.

I would also like to know the nationalities of th e people at the top because SA does not grow drugs or do they? So, it is being brought in, I would like to know how far it goes up the chain and whether it is with the cooperation of SA authorities/police etc?

The Nigerian drug dealer on the street is the little man at the end of a long chain of drug smuggling/importation etc.......who are the poeople in control of the illegal drug mnarket and what is their nationality?
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by londoner: 4:00am On Nov 21, 2013
Yes Fashola/Yoruba is doing wonders in Lagos, pls GIVE THEM BIAFRA OR WE ALL AGREE TO SEND TO ANTARTICA OR MARS. Funny Igbos dont mind bragging about Lagos to Yorubas

Since it looks like WORLD IS TIRED OF IGBOS. cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Yoruba man.......grow up.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by londoner: 4:38am On Nov 21, 2013
Even when you are medical; doctior there is discrimination just because you are Nigerian.
the article in the link lays out clearly the discrimination agaist Nigerian doctors, even though many have won awards in SA. It is not just about being a suspected drug dealer..........alot of this is xenophobia, although not all..

http://www.ndf-sa.org/media/
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by kwametut: 10:25am On Nov 22, 2013
Bull shit SA HAS MORE CUBAN DOCTORS THAN ANY COUNTRY OUTSIDE S.A.
The number of African medical doctors practicing in S.A. is lower compared to other parts of the world. Their number is lower than 400

londoner: Even when you are medical; doctior there is discrimination just because you are Nigerian.
the article in the link lays out clearly the discrimination agaist Nigerian doctors, even though many have won awards in SA. It is not just about being a suspected drug dealer..........alot of this is xenophobia, although not all..

http://www.ndf-sa.org/media/

Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 23, 2013
Mthimbane.ZA:

Yes it does, cos u r painting a bad picture 4 my beautiful SA where 1 burning incident of which I condemn, is x100 in your head. If I were you I would have kept quiet b4 I use the word ''babaric'' on SA. Cos I've got Bokoharam 4 you. Now did you ever set your feet in SA?

Beautiful what? Beautiful evil. It is known around the world that your country tops when it comes to crimes and other evil vises. You can't come here to make your country looks good while your people are maiming and attacking innocent Africans in your society on daily bases. Please, nobody is going to listen to this your cry until you do a thorough soul search and stop discriminating and attacking Nigerians and other Africans living in your country.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 23, 2013
londoner:

Yoruba man.......grow up.
He's not a Yoruba person. He's a silly Ghanaian resident in SA.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by kwametut: 8:31am On Nov 25, 2013
WEAK THREATS grin grin grin grin grin grin[b] SOUTH AFRICANS BELIEVE IN "ACTION".
MTN,SHOPRITE,DSTV etc.. are found all over AFRICA.
Nigeria has 170 million people and most are POOR. Hence WOOLWORTHS fvcked off theres NO BIG MIDDLE CLASS in Nigeria.
grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

REMINDER OF AFRICAN MAP. grin grin grin Nigerians are just "A DROP IN A BIG BANTU AFRICA". grin grin grin
Africa has 1,2 billion people
(170 nigerians, Arab world 250m, Ethiopians and Somalis 100m), the rest is BANTU AFRICA.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

[/b]

bishopoliver: time to teach some MTN and DSTV and Shoprite folks a lesson...

Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by londoner: 11:45am On Nov 25, 2013
all4naija: He's not a Yoruba person. He's a silly Ghanaian resident in SA.

Do you know him personally?

If not, then read between the lines, he is a Yoruba tribalist. He is using the mask of being a Ghanaian here because he thinks he is clever.....did he come here and deny being Yoruba?

Its because he is one. No Ghaian will have their lips so far up a Nigerians behind like he does. To them all Nigerians are bad, so when one comes here spouting the things he is spouting with a decidedly anti- Igbo slant, you have to see it for what it is.

He is a Yoruba tribalist..........and a coward, who can not come out to declare that he is one.

No Ghanaian will ask kiss Yorubas like he is doing, he is a fake, that is so clear to me.

There is another poester like him who came here claiming to be Ghanaian in SA......that one was anti Nigerian, not even pro Yoruba at all.........

Anyhoo, I just laugh at him....even if he is Ghanian, he is a coward........have a look through his posts here, you can see he never talks any sense at all.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by Nobody: 4:37am On Nov 26, 2013
londoner:

Do you know him personally?

If not, then read between the lines, he is a Yoruba tribalist. He is using the mask of being a Ghanaian here because he thinks he is clever.....did he come here and deny being Yoruba?

Its because he is one. No Ghaian will have their lips so far up a Nigerians behind like he does. To them all Nigerians are bad, so when one comes here spouting the things he is spouting with a decidedly anti- Igbo slant, you have to see it for what it is.

He is a Yoruba tribalist..........and a coward, who can not come out to declare that he is one.

No Ghanaian will ask kiss Yorubas like he is doing, he is a fake, that is so clear to me.

There is another poester like him who came here claiming to be Ghanaian in SA......that one was anti Nigerian, not even pro Yoruba at all.........

Anyhoo, I just laugh at him....even if he is Ghanian, he is a coward........have a look through his posts here, you can see he never talks any sense at all.

I know him very well in this forum that is the reason I am telling you about him. He's a Ghanaian resident in South Africa(he adopted SA as his own country). He is not a Nigerian.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by MthimbaneZA(m): 1:32am On Nov 27, 2013
all4naija:

Beautiful what? Beautiful evil. It is known around the world that your country tops when it comes to crimes and other evil vises. You can't come here to make your country looks good while your people are maiming and attacking innocent Africans in your society on daily bases. Please, nobody is going to listen to this your cry until you do a thorough soul search and stop discriminating and attacking Nigerians and other Africans living in your country.

I repeat 2 u Beautiful South African people. U speak as if u really know SA, Nigerians here r not only involved in drug business, you range from human trafficking, scams, fraud, arm robbery, poaching the list is endless. Leave the internet and come to Pollsmor Prison visitors room and count how many Nigerians r there compared to other countries. The word Nigeria means crime here we can't help u started it.
Re: South Africans Chase Nigerians Out Of Their Homes by Nobody: 2:53am On Nov 30, 2013
Mthimbane.ZA:

I repeat 2 u Beautiful South African people. U speak as if u really know SA, Nigerians here r not only involved in drug business, you range from human trafficking, scams, fraud, arm robbery, poaching the list is endless. Leave the internet and come to Pollsmor Prison visitors room and count how many Nigerians r there compared to other countries. The word Nigeria means crime here we can't help u started it.

You see! Your excuse is like that of a child who is still blabbing on general words which caught its attention. You are not finding any solution than to blame others for your crimes while the problems remain. The fact that these crimes keep increasing everyday points out one thing that South Africans themselves are the masterminds. Why do you always take the cheapest exit? Going by your appalling representation of Nigerians in your comments doesn't nullify the fact there are also many good numbers of them in your society,doing their best to better your country.

Going by your prison statement, there is no iota of fact that Nigerians make up the largest bulk of foreign prisoners in your jails. Unless you have to provide statistics to prove that right. Indeed, this is just a way to make Nigerians look evil in your society. And, your people have been finding ways to always do that in this forum with lots of erroneous information.

It is time you stop pointing accusing fingers at Nigerians while your people are not helping the situation. Imagine your police that behaves like animals freed from cage when on duty. Dude, your police needs to up the way of dealing with civilians in that society. It needs to take a cue from the developed nations on police disciplinary measures on policing criminals.

To conclude it all, there is more evil to your so called 'beautiful country or SA' than good after see all the evils you have meted to the innocent African immigrants in your country.

Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (Reply)

Photo Of Buhari Receiving Emir Of Kano Amid EndSARS Protests Sparks Outrage / Buhari Receives Saraki And Dogara In London (Photos) / The Questions Ekweremadu, Saraki, Melaye Asked Magu Before Rejecting Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.