Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,389 members, 7,926,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 10:11 AM

Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise (6728 Views)

Noise Pollution: Lagos To Observe Horn Free Day October 15 / Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Number Location / Toyota Camry 2007 Engine Noise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise by b2212(m): 5:09pm On May 31, 2013
I have a toyota corolla 2003 that makes an unusual noise when i start it in the morning. the car revs unusually loudly by itself for about 4 secs and the sound of the engine is as if it is grinding. after a while it stops and will not reoccur until i have parked for a longtime. the car runs well. what could be wrong?
Re: Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise by donkene(m): 8:31pm On May 31, 2013
check if the oil is guaged well
Re: Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise by eastermaris(f): 9:13am On Jun 01, 2013
Change ur belt,if it persist,check d timing chain....not a mech but had similar prob until i changed my belt....toyota avensis though
Re: Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 01, 2013
either the clutch or shift linkage needs to be adjusted. The worst case scenario involves internal damage to the transmission.
Re: Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise by JUO(m): 10:38am On Jun 01, 2013
THE PROBLEM IS THE OIL YOU ARE USING OR THE OIL USED ON THE ENGINE BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT. THE OIL IS TOO THICK FOR THE OIL PUMP. WHEN IS COLD IT WILL TAKE LESS THAN 4 SECONDS TO CIRCULATE ROUND THE ENGINE, THEREFORE CAUSING MECHANICAL PARTS LIKE (Camshaft) TO WORK IRON TO IRON BEFORE OIL GET'S TO THAT PART THEN THE NOISE WILL STOP.
THE GOOD NEWS IS THE CAR MAY NOT PACK UP SOON, BUT THAT NOISE WILL INCREASE.
THE BAD NEWS IS:IF YOU CHANGE TO LIGHTER OIL THE NOISE WILL NOT STOP BECAUSE OF TEAR AND WEAR IN THAT MECHANICAL PART'S.
DID YOU REMOVE THE THERMOSTAT? IF YOU DID PUT IT BACK.
THAT NOISE IS FROM THE ENGINE. LOOK FOR A PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC TO FIX IT FOR YOU BEFORE THE PROBLEM GO WORSE.
HOW OLD IS THIS CAR?

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise by b2212(m): 11:34am On Jun 01, 2013
carr101: either the clutch or shift linkage needs to be adjusted. The worst case scenario involves internal damage to the transmission.
This is scary. Thot it was only hondas daat had temperamental transmissions
Re: Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise by b2212(m): 11:40am On Jun 01, 2013
JUO: THE PROBLEM IS THE OIL YOU ARE USING OR THE OIL USED ON THE ENGINE BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT. THE OIL IS TOO THICK FOR THE OIL PUMP. WHEN IS COLD IT WILL TAKE LESS THAN 4 SECONDS TO CIRCULATE ROUND THE ENGINE, THEREFORE CAUSING MECHANICAL PARTS LIKE (Camshaft) TO WORK IRON TO IRON BEFORE OIL GET'S TO THAT PART THEN THE NOISE WILL STOP.
THE GOOD NEWS IS THE CAR MAY NOT PACK UP SOON, BUT THAT NOISE WILL INCREASE.
THE BAD NEWS IS:IF YOU CHANGE TO LIGHTER OIL THE NOISE WILL NOT STOP BECAUSE OF TEAR AND WEAR IN THAT MECHANICAL PART'S.
DID YOU REMOVE THE THERMOSTAT? IF YOU DID PUT IT BACK.
THAT NOISE IS FROM THE ENGINE. LOOK FOR A PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC TO FIX IT FOR YOU BEFORE THE PROBLEM GO WORSE.
HOW OLD IS THIS CAR?
The car is about 3yrs old. Got it off a friend recently. Is it possible to change d camshaft alone? I hate d noise
Re: Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise by b2212(m): 2:31pm On Jun 01, 2013
eastermaris: Change ur belt,if it persist,check d timing chain....not a mech but had similar prob until i changed my belt....toyota avensis though
Thankss. Will try that
Re: Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise by adanny01(m): 6:23pm On Jun 02, 2013
Using my imagination to picture ur situation. Major sounds that an engine produces comes from the movements of the camshaft, valves and associated parts in the head cylinder(aside combustion). Another is the joint between connecting rod and crankshaft.

Any of the above will make huge noise before engine oil gets to it after draining down overnight. The latter takes few seconds to lubricate while the former can take longer. For the latter, at high rpms the engine will still make noise.

If i were to pick, i would say the problem lies in the crankshaft/connecting rod joint. I can remember long back when mechanics worked on my dads crank shaft, they changed somethings on the connecting rod. Cant quite remember its name but i think its called bushings. If worned out, it leaves a gap that makes the noise. It may also reduce engine compression.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Corolla 2003 Engine Noise by mrT: 11:37am On Nov 17, 2017
I also have a camshaft issue, with error code P0013. Mechanic said i have to ring engine, a 2009 corolla.Any advice and likely cost of repair/replace?

(1) (Reply)

5 Auto Mechanics Tips That Raise A Red Flag / How Good Is Toyota Sienna Xle / Which Should I Choose Between 2007-2010 Toyota Camry Or Honda Accord?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.