Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,401 members, 7,881,459 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:10 PM

Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President (25536 Views)

House Of Reps Move To Ban Hiace Buses Over Bayelsa Auto Crash / Reps Move To Clip Dstv, Others’ Monopoly / Reps Move To Criminalise Late, Non-payment Of Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by onyenro(m): 8:51pm On Jun 04, 2013
Punch newspaper has removed the news from their site. Was the news verifoed before publication? Anyways, impeaching a sitting President has and will never be easy even when the case is glaring to a blind man eg Clinton vs Lewisky case
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by millhouse: 8:57pm On Jun 04, 2013
Are Pro- Ameachi govs fighting back through their legislators?
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by samdbash(m): 9:06pm On Jun 04, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: I support this motion!

If you read through the processes before a president can be impeached, you will understand what the reps are trying to do. The process of impeaching the president is tedious, making it almost impossible. Unlike the governor, where two-third of the state house of assembly can boot him out, the president's case requires same percentage from both the upper and lower houses. After this, the individual house of assembly of each state will still vote on his impeachment. Then if a certain percentage from each state assembly votes for him to be impeach, then shall he only be impeached.

The process is too rigorous and was designed to be impossible. Let them review it. At least, let the upper and lower houses only have a say.

Well spoken Mazi. U hit the nail on the head!!!
My 2 cents.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by Tracetruth: 9:07pm On Jun 04, 2013
dougivilla: To tell you how these monsters headed by monster Tambuwal reason, you may wish to ask them to list all the bills they have passed since this democratic dispensation. How many concern the masses? With selfishly motivated intentions, the 36 Governors are fighting themselve over Chairmanship of NGF. Senators on the other hand are busy endorsing a six year single term for the president and governeors, while they enjoy unlimited terms, and the house of rep is trying to simplyfy the process of impeaching the president; nothing for recalling erring HOR members? Hypocrites!!. This is the same house that shouted down a member that proposed a bill seeking payment of stipends to unemployed and underemployed youths.

What bills have they passed on youth empowerment, power, agricultural development, unemployment, job creation, youth restiveness, boko haram, fuel subsidy, capacity building, road construction, urban development, NYSC, sports development, mother and child care, banking reforms etc etc, that concern the average Nigerian. The masses need a system of recalling these monsters either via a voice vote or a concensus on an online media platform.

These guys no send us at all at all!!!
may the Lord add more wisdom to you and your entire generation

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jun 04, 2013
Rabboni-X:

http://www.punchng.com/news/reps-move-to-simplify-impeachmen%E2%80%8Bt-of-president/
http://blogsinbrief..com/2013/06/house-of-reps-move-to-simplify.html

Eediots
How about a bill on commonsense and eradication of stoopidity for reps

Have they passed one against sticky fingers and snatching food out of the mouth of infants
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by xxxbash: 9:22pm On Jun 04, 2013

If you read through the processes before a president can be impeached, you will understand what the reps are trying to do. The process of impeaching the president is tedious, making it almost impossible. Unlike the governor, where two-third of the state house of assembly can boot him out, the president's case requires same percentage from both the upper and lower houses. After this, the individual house of assembly of each state will still vote on his impeachment. Then if a certain percentage from each state assembly votes for him to be impeach, then shall he only be impeached.

The process is too rigorous and was designed to be impossible. Let them review it. At least, let the upper and lower houses only have a say.

My 2 cents.

I support ur assertion in that the constitution handed down by the men in uniform was designed so that the president can see himself as very powerful and demostrate such without any fear since getting 2/3 from the state assemblies across the country will be very hard.

Also, why are the state at the receiving end of impeachment procedure?

So, the Rep should go ahead and amend the law.

I hope they are not doing it to witch hurt him anyway?
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by kobikwelu(m): 9:38pm On Jun 04, 2013
Another rigmarole....
If you believe that these folks intend to streamline the process, then, i've got a bridge to sell to you.

They would just raise dust and after which Ghana must go have changed hands, it would be " To your tents ohhh Israel"

Welcome to our presidential system of Government..

No sitting president alive would allow this succeed

and by the way, what does he mean by "Streamline"?
What exact hurdles do the clowns the lawmakers intend to take off??

naaaa today??
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by ikchi: 9:45pm On Jun 04, 2013
May God help this country.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by jawjaw1: 9:50pm On Jun 04, 2013
valicious1:
the problem is that GEJ is too straight and clean for them so they re really seriously searching for loopholes to squeeze money out. The lawmakers don't like this.

GEJ too straight and clean?

Since when? His Bayelsa days as deputy governor? His Bayelsa days as governor? Since he divorced Patience?

I laugh in Swahili

grin grin grin grin
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by Symphony007: 9:52pm On Jun 04, 2013
lookmangiw: And you would expect the president to give his precious assent to such bill. I laugh in swahili.
if he does'nt give his "precious" assent. A 2/3 majority of the house will overrule him and push forward the bill.

What a idiotic lot of people commenting on nairaland. So the national assembly doing their job means they are hungry? If your president works within the law, why would an impeachment law simplification worry him or his dull supporters. I love this house of representatives. Unlike others, they've shown they know their job.

By the way, the PDP controls the house so you can't blame this one on the opposition. Stupid party!

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by 1025: 9:57pm On Jun 04, 2013
long over due
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by OkochiZico(m): 10:42pm On Jun 04, 2013
Those in favour say I's and those against say Nil, the I's have it. E no pass this o, Naija I dey hail o.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by matoyeh(m): 10:55pm On Jun 04, 2013
kponke denge: I don't have anytin to say smiley
but you have said something
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by krap(m): 11:11pm On Jun 04, 2013
They should probably test-run the new process to see how effective it is... grin
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by HezronLorraine(m): 11:24pm On Jun 04, 2013
alpha conde: The procedures of recalling a legisture is most cumbersome. Me thinks they should start from that.
seconded,if the parliament wants to prove that they are promoting transparent,fair,free and open democracy.they need start with themselves.how about slashing of their salaries and allowances for a starter.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by DrSadikMagaji(m): 11:27pm On Jun 04, 2013
50calibre: So they can finally wangle an Hausa (sambo) into power.
na by force to talk sh**?
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by aalex1: 12:39am On Jun 05, 2013
Rabboni-X:

http://www.punchng.com/news/reps-move-to-simplify-impeachmen%E2%80%8Bt-of-president/
http://blogsinbrief..com/2013/06/house-of-reps-move-to-simplify.html

Dey should also make d process of recalling they d reps and senators very clear and simple for nigerians,dat's democracy so evryone wil sit up.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by klas(m): 1:38am On Jun 05, 2013

My 2 cents.

You confused the process for constitution amendment with that of impeaching the president. The states house of assembly are not involved in impeaching a president.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by craigj: 5:42am On Jun 05, 2013
donigspain: Please sir, did you actually took time out to read, digest and comprehend the post because I don't see why the president should be worried over a MOVE FOR CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT other than a MOVE FOR IMPEACHMENT if he (GEJ) is following DUE PROCESS.

And who told you GEJ is worried? Kindly comprehend yourself.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 05, 2013
Well...i strongly believe our leaders know exactly the things to do to make this country a real nation.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by ozonaija(m): 7:12am On Jun 05, 2013
adanny01:

Just trying to type and accidentally hit Submit

Better for ya
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by hod898(m): 7:32am On Jun 05, 2013
You can see that our greedy leaders, insead of seeking prominent solutions to our foremost problems, are passing such mundane bills that will be of benefit only them the polticians, the so-called 'elite' ;thereby negleting the masses to the detriment of our nation's development. Seriously speaking, this their government is not democratic otherwise it would have been for the people and not for their selfish motives. However, what can be done to curb corruption effectively when the 'corruption fighters' are already corrupt? Something has to be done, maybe the online media platform like dougivillia said.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by goshen26: 7:38am On Jun 05, 2013
May God continue to be with him(GEJ), If truly he has deprived them from squandering our money, any evil plotted againist him will not work. Stupid thieves
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by Nobody: 7:44am On Jun 05, 2013
Brilliance9000: This is typical BAIT and SWITCH used by the National Assembly for years to get some money in circulation. Anyone who works or close to the National assembly, particularly the House, will tell you that MONEY IS SCARCE...very scarce now and some are struggling financially. Jonathan tightened all channels of funds to them. Most of them bemoan this government as being too tightfisted. Obasanjo was far better as third term money circulated heavily. To make things worse, many of them are afraid of usual extortion gimmick from Interest groups, corporations and lobbyists after Farouk Lawan saga, So they depend solely on OGAs at the top...Jonathan and Tambuwal. This is to get Jonathan to shake is body and drop some change down....

Closest reason...
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by folahann(m): 7:51am On Jun 05, 2013
You guys say they're onlyafter their pocket. Ok let's look at it this way; what If the president is forced to perform better because he wants to save himself a lot of money. Let's Try to look at the bright side of life some times.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by eldagaius(m): 8:17am On Jun 05, 2013
GEJ is not and may not be the last Nigerian president. The clogs in the will of progress notified in our constitution have to be removed. And it must be done while a certain president is on seat. Whether it is targeted on d current president or not, will be for prosterity to judge. A check must be put on d president to avoid abuse of power. 6 years single term is also commendable. If GEJ truly loves 9ja, let him accept the amendment. Even if there is a clause that current executive will not benefit from d 6yr single term. It might be a coup against him, but to the general well-being of Nigeria. Let's wait and see.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by HOPE8888(m): 8:26am On Jun 05, 2013
Whatever.... What about Reps Move to Simplify Impeachment of Reps?
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by Nobody: 8:33am On Jun 05, 2013
very good,in a country filled with religious bigots and nepotism,it is very good that the president is checked,so as not to run the presidency like a family affair-the bill should be passed.with more checks like this the president will be on his toes.
power corrupts,and absolute power corrupts absolutely-the Nigerian state is too diverse for one man to have too much power,it will lead to chaos.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by hod898(m): 8:50am On Jun 05, 2013
goshen26: May God continue to be with him(GEJ), If truly he has deprived them from squandering our money, any evil plotted againist him will not work. Stupid thieves
You know, I like people who have gud reasoning jst like you. Many ppl speak bad of our president wivout even gvn a 2nd thought as to wht he's done. Evn if he's also corrupt, as they say, I think the best way of bringing him to order is nt by inordinately scurriling and abusing him but by praying for him and havn peaceful demnstratn that wil get to his ear rathr than talkin bad agnst him in an online forum--it wldnt help matters. As for me, I wl stil be praying for him becos he's our leader and I know what it means to be a leader.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by kipesco(m): 9:01am On Jun 05, 2013
The bad they are trying now will Favour Jonathan but will create loop hole for subsequent Presidents. Fight not ur master.
Re: Reps Move To Simplify Impeachment Of President by Yusluvadexman: 9:35am On Jun 05, 2013
Nawa o,i pray its sooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Bode George Spending 70th Birthday Hiding Like A Political Leper” - Obanikoro. / There Is No Need To Bring Diezani Back To Nigeria - AGF Malami / Obasanjo Advises Youths To Wrest Power From Older Generation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.