Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,202 members, 7,919,863 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 02:48 PM

Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) (4326 Views)

Buhari Seeks Senate Approval To Borrow N2.10 Trn / African Development Bank Presidency: 5 Serving Ministers, 3 Others Contest / Buhari Endorses Akinwunmi Adesina For African Development Bank Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by ekoilee: 3:27am On Jun 05, 2013

[img]http://3.bp..com/-mstTA7JSVnk/T4MESysyClI/AAAAAAAABwg/M8DBYLLrsdI/s1600/DSC_3305.JPG[/img]

The minister of finance is seeking approval for a loan.

The weekly meeting of the Executive Council of the Federation, FEC, holding on Wednesday will discuss a memo to be presented by the Minister of Finance and Coordination for the Economy, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, seeking the approval by members for Nigeria to take another $300 million (N47 billion) loan from the African Development Bank, ADB.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt that the loan facility would be utilised for the development of the transport sector, including the completion of the East-West Road project in the Niger-Delta region as well as for the ongoing economic governance reform programme in the country.

The federal government had already indicated its willingness to take loans to complete ongoing road projects.

The meeting is also expected to deliberate the on the Mid-term Report review and the First National Implementation Plan 2010 to 2013 of the Nigeria Vision 20:2020 Economic Transformation Blueprint to be presented by the Chairman, National Planning Commission, Shamsudeen Usman; who would also solicit members approval of Nigeria’s Presidency of the Leading Group on Innovative Financing for Development.

During the meeting, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Akinwunmi Adesina is expected to present a memorandum to propose the ratification of President Goodluck Jonathan’s anticipatory approval of the draft National Fertiliser Bill 2013, while Minister of Women Affairs, Zainab Maina, would brief the Council on the outcome of the 57th session of the UN Commission on the Status of women at the UN Headquarters, held in New York in March 2013.

The Minister of Power, Chinedo Nebo, who would be briefing the Council on the progress and challenges facing his ministry, would also present a memorandum seeking the approval of the Council for the award of contract for the supply of Hitachi Generator Special tools to Jebba Hydro Electric PLC.

According to the draft agenda sighted by our reporter, the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godsday Orubebe, is expected to also brief the Council on the achievements and challenges of his ministry

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/137617-jonathan-ministers-may-approve-fresh-n47bn-loan-on-wednesday.html
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by ekoilee: 3:32am On Jun 05, 2013
Instead of finance minister, why is this woman's title no borrowing and loans minister..

What is the meaning of ongoing economic governance reform programme?

Crooked people sabi formulate funny names for their embezzling programs ..lmao

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by taharqa2: 3:48am On Jun 05, 2013
eko ilee: Instead of finance minister, why is this woman's title no borrowing and loans minister..

What is the meaning of ongoing economic governance reform programme?

Crooked people sabi formulate funny names for their embezzling programs ..lmao
SHUT ya Hypocritic mouth tha, @OP. The State with by far d highest burden of Loans in d country is Lagos, and it is still borrowing. When the FG tried discouraging the Lagos state from borrowing $600m last yr, you and yr fellow Hypocritical clowns were shouting blue murder, asking d FG to approve it. So shut that trap you call yr mouth, and stop seeing everytin as an opportunity to do Propaganda- like you really cared about the Economy..... By d way, I dont think this loan is a 'new' one per say; it apparently is part of those approved in d Middle-term Borrowing Plan documentd already passed by d NA..

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by Nobody: 4:07am On Jun 05, 2013
I thought Mr Fashola said there was nothing wrong with borrowing?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by ekoileee: 4:46am On Jun 05, 2013
taharqa2: SHUT ya Hypocritic mouth tha, @OP. The State with by far d highest burden of Loans in d country is Lagos, and it is still borrowing. When the FG tried discouraging the Lagos state from borrowing $600m last yr, you and yr fellow Hypocritical clowns were shouting blue murder, asking d FG to approve it. So shut that trap you call yr mouth, and stop seeing everytin as an opportunity to do Propaganda- like you really cared about the Economy..... By d way, I dont think this loan is a 'new' one per say; it apparently is part of those approved in d Middle-term Borrowing Plan documentd already passed by d NA..

Ode, we don't borrow money to embezzle and fund recurrent expenditure and our recurrent and capital expenditure are not upside down like your crooked masters.

The dumb clowns are making billions of dollars in oil profit and they are still borrowing left and right.

What responsible government budgets 82% recurrent expenditure and 18 capital expenditure? Are we even surprised they are borrowing everyday?

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by kunlekunle: 5:33am On Jun 05, 2013
taharqa2: SHUT ya Hypocritic mouth tha, @OP. The State with by far d highest burden of Loans in d country is Lagos, and it is still borrowing. When the FG tried discouraging the Lagos state from borrowing $600m last yr, you and yr fellow Hypocritical clowns were shouting blue murder, asking d FG to approve it. So shut that trap you call yr mouth, and stop seeing everytin as an opportunity to do Propaganda- like you really cared about the Economy..... By d way, I dont think this loan is a 'new' one per say; it apparently is part of those approved in d Middle-term Borrowing Plan documentd already passed by d NA..

People like you make me weep for this country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by donPhill(m): 6:41am On Jun 05, 2013
abeg borrow come, ah fit get small share for this one sha

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by bloggernaija: 8:08am On Jun 05, 2013
No wonder OBJ discharge the woman. Borrowing money even during an oil boom.
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by Nobody: 8:27am On Jun 05, 2013
eko ileee:

Ode, we don't borrow money to embezzle and fund recurrent expenditure and our recurrent and capital expenditure are not upside down like your crooked masters.

The dumb clowns are making billions of dollars in oil profit and they are still borrowing left and right.

What responsible government budgets 82% recurrent expenditure and 18 capital expenditure? Are we even surprised they are borrowing everyday?

Your trolling is getting out of hand. Where in the article was it stated that the loans would used to fund recurrent expenditure?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by jjcbuthot: 8:41am On Jun 05, 2013
J12:

Your trolling is getting out of hand. Where in the article was it stated that the loans would used to fund recurrent expenditure?

Ok tell us what GEJ and his cohorts will use the loan for...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by Nobody: 8:44am On Jun 05, 2013
jjcbuthot:

Its in the article.
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by ochukoccna: 9:11am On Jun 05, 2013
Loan to complete the East West road undecided
How much has been siphoned off in regard of this road and so many other projects that dot the landscape?
OBJ despite all his tyranny and stealing paid off our foreign debts with $18 billion
With no projects visibility,increasing cost of living, GDP growth not reflecting in the life of the common man, Ebele keeps piling the debts to enslave generations to come
Even though oil revenues are on the high side
Hmnn!
When will Nigerians wake up
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by gramci: 9:15am On Jun 05, 2013
jjcbuthot:

Na person born this one, you just comment without reading. *spits*
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by UyiIredia(m): 9:30am On Jun 05, 2013
The first reason why I'm suspicuous of GEJ on the question of budget is that he has done little, as far as I know, to cut bureaucracy costs. The increasing debt profile under his government gives cause for concern. Consider this piece from Sahara reporters (which I know to be true based on newspaper headlines relevant to the time)

“By 2007, the Yar’Adua-Jonathan government inherited vast foreign reserves ($43bn), on-going power projects (NIPP-$5bn), new rail systems, from Lagos to Kano ($8bn) and Abuja Metro ($800 million); an Excess Crude Account, ECA, ($27bn) – in short, a basis to hit the ground running, complete on-going projects, initiate new ones and continue addressing Nigeria’s infrastructure deficits. Alas, after $200bn had been earned and spent, that did not happen. What happened?” el-Rufai queried.

The bolded is a question that GEJ has to answer since he took over as president 2 years after Yaradua's inaugaration. I'll be back with a more informed comment after reading the mid-term report which I just downloaded
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by bigx(m): 9:42am On Jun 05, 2013
So in their Cabinet, there's nobody that has stolen $300 million that they can catch?

If they recover that no need to pay interests

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by obinnakenedo(m): 9:47am On Jun 05, 2013
Ok. Time for me to be liking and disliking comments. Oya, let the arguement begin! #peelingmygroundnut#

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by mascot87(m): 9:47am On Jun 05, 2013
Again? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by Nobody: 9:51am On Jun 05, 2013
How about previous loans collected?? Can previous loans be accounted for?? What was it used for?? Where was it used?? How was it used?? What is the condition of the projects or whatever, that previous loans where used for?? How has it benefited Nigerians??
undecided
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by whizkidd: 9:53am On Jun 05, 2013
The fundamental problem as always is trust in the Federal government. The FG has a long history of embezzlement, and incompetency. How do we know they will do what they say they will? Wasn't SURE-P supposed to free up resources for capital projects? What has happened to the subsidy removal windfall and why do they have to borrow again? Plus we all know this will not be the first time the FG embezzles borrowed money.
Lagos does borrow a lot of money but the difference is that we can actually physically see world-class infrastructure being built. You cannot name one single completed world-class infrastructural project in 14 years of PDP rule.
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by dridowu: 9:54am On Jun 05, 2013
Another National cake about to be distributed some individuals in d name of national development
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by adexway(m): 10:06am On Jun 05, 2013
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by akintun: 10:09am On Jun 05, 2013
Borrowing money from ADB is actually very good becos of their low interest rate, but they should use d money 4 d right thing. I prefer this type of borrowing to d issuing of TB and gov bonds which are actually very expensive .
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by yuzedo: 10:10am On Jun 05, 2013
i coud have gave Nigeria dis mony if dey ask nicely + gimme 1 free ice cream sweet babe from calabber town. dis cuntry neva learn truth to God! undecided angry
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 05, 2013
bigx: So in their Cabinet, there's nobody that has stolen $300 million that they can catch?

If they recover that no need to pay interests

Exactly what when through my mind.
Leaving aside the notable point other commentators have already made about recurrent expenditure, this loan could easily be bankrolled by just a couple of pension thieves cheesy
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by Garrithe1st: 10:19am On Jun 05, 2013
The only SPECIFIC project mentioned is the East-West Road. I therefore wonder if the all the N47 billion to be borrowed is for that road...

I hope this isn't fund-raising for 2015 election....

cool
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by DisGuy: 10:22am On Jun 05, 2013
PREMIUM TIMES learnt that the loan facility would be utilised for the development of the transport sector, including the completion of the East-West Road project in the Niger-Delta region as well as for the ongoing economic governance reform programme in the country.

I thought this was already in the budget?!!?!

secondly this same road is drawing funds from Sure P

dont they ring fence funds for specifi projects or they announce it and start looking for funds
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:24am On Jun 05, 2013
We don suffer!

U knw, SIA, the govnr of Ogun state really amazes me wen he said he didn't borrow a dime with all d projects ongoing. And the govt was even payin off the debt of the previous administration.

U see, he reiterated dt u jes need to cut the cost of running ur govt, and d proper remittance of taxes! Isn't dt cool for someone who is a chartered accountant and applyin his profession in governance?

The same thing we see in fashola and aregbesola. We saw in donald duke also.

Better than d clueless president and his cabinet

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 05, 2013
4 u guys to squander n put d country in debt.
okay we don hear!lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by lacasa: 10:34am On Jun 05, 2013
angry
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by lacasa: 10:34am On Jun 05, 2013
Nigeria's foreign debt currently tips at $6.7Billion, and theyy still going out to borrow again n again n again.

i pity the country our children, n children's children will inherit from us, if nigerians keep going the same way wt this kind of useless bunch in government angry
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by BabaEleko(m): 10:43am On Jun 05, 2013
Believe u me fellow Nigerians, only 7billy out of the 47billies will make it it's way into some never to be completed project. I weep for our cun3.
Re: Nigeria To Borrow N47billion From ADB (African Development Bank) by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 05, 2013
lacasa: Nigeria's foreign debt currently tips at $6.7Billion, and theyy still going out to borrow again n again n again.

i pity the country our children, n children's children will inherit from us, if nigerians keep going the same way wt this kind of useless bunch in government angry

Nigeria's foreign debt is expected to rise exponentially in the next two years angry

Nigeria’s debts ‘ll rise to N8.8trn by 2015 – DMO
on JUNE 5, 2013

The Debt Management Office, DMO, Tuesday, said Nigeria’s outstanding debt will rise to N8.809 trillion ($55.4 billion) by 2015.

According to a report by the DMO, this was contained in the country’s debt strategy for the next three years.

The DMO said the adoption of the debt plan would sustain development of the domestic debt market and provide external funding at preferred cost for capital projects.

The DMO had told the National Assembly that it plans to borrow N3.975 trillion ($25 billion) by 2015

Dr. Abraham Nwankwo, Director-General, DMO, disclosed this in his presentation on Nigeria’s overall debt profile and expected borrowing for 2013-2015 at a meeting with the House Joint Committee on Finance, Legislative Budget and Research, National Planning and Aid, Loans and Debt Management.

Read Nore

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shocking Article On Nigerian Leaders,is There Any Amt Too Big For Them To Stea / Confimed : My Late Uncles WIFE Has Just Married A WIFE For His CORPSE.. / Restructuring: Old Midwest Professionals To Meet On Wednesday - August 9 2017.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.