Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,785 members, 7,898,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 07:29 PM

Cargo cost: Importers Abandon Lagos Seaports For Seme- Border - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cargo cost: Importers Abandon Lagos Seaports For Seme- Border (890 Views)

Forex Curbs: CBN Moves To Ease Importers' Plight / States’ Fortunes Dip As Govs Abandon Natural Resources For Abuja Cake / High Cost Of Clearing Forces Importers To Abandon Goods At Seaports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cargo cost: Importers Abandon Lagos Seaports For Seme- Border by emekatimsu(m): 6:16am On Jun 06, 2013
FREIGHT forwardersand importers operating in the Lagos ports area have abandoned the seaports to patronize the Seme border post following the high cost of cargo clearnce and extortion from Government agencies. Formers Chairman of the Council for the Regulation Freight Forwarders in Nigeria (CRFFN) Honourable Tony Iju Nwabunike said that the fraustration agents are going through at the seaports have made them to patronize the border post in Seme. He stated besides importers who go to Cotonou to bring their goods to Nigeria, pay less duty in that country, also pay duty at the border post in Seme. “Despite the payment of double duty, they sell
at a cheaper rate than importers who clear
their goods Lagos ports. He added.

Nwabunike explained that officials of the most
of the agencies have ended up acquiring licenses to do the jobs of freight forwarders
adding that they even porch their staff sometimes. The former CRFFN boss further explained that Nigeria is not isolated from the international trading system adding as such international best practices should be applied. He said: “ Nigeria is does not operate in
isolation of the world trading system, Customs
operation can be very frustrating “Have you asled yourself why people import from Cotonou, pay duty in Cotonou,come back
to Seme, pay some duty here and still sell
cheaper in Alaba international market whereas
the importer from Apapa port cannot sell
his goods because of the added cost of clearing” “Every importer wants to go where he will Maximize profit and if going through Cotonou will make them maximise profit so be it.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/cargo-cost-importers-abandon-lagos-seaports-for-seme-borders/
Re: Cargo cost: Importers Abandon Lagos Seaports For Seme- Border by israel007: 6:37am On Jun 06, 2013
Good for them. Nothing is regulated in Nigeria as such nothing works. They keep adding cost as though there operating tomatoes and maggi sales.
Re: Cargo cost: Importers Abandon Lagos Seaports For Seme- Border by aamanda: 6:47am On Jun 06, 2013
Nigeria regulatory agencies are just bunch of greedy ppl waiting to exploit importers at any given oppurtunity.
Let them keep loosing revenue to cotonu..sweet nonsense
Re: Cargo cost: Importers Abandon Lagos Seaports For Seme- Border by abdulumah: 6:52am On Jun 06, 2013
israel007: Good for them. Nothing is regulated in Nigeria as such nothing works. They keep adding cost as though there operating tomatoes and maggi sales.
So u want Nigeria to be loosing there source of IGR to cononu because of Ibo ppl's desperate bid to mazimize profit?
Govt shuld close cotonu border and force d impoters to use Nigeria seaport by force.
Re: Cargo cost: Importers Abandon Lagos Seaports For Seme- Border by thehunted(m): 3:38pm On Jun 10, 2013
abdulumah:
So u want Nigeria to be loosing there source of IGR to cononu because of Ibo ppl's desperate bid to mazimize profit?
Govt shuld close cotonu border and force d impoters to use Nigeria seaport by force.

u are foolish by nature.
Re: Cargo cost: Importers Abandon Lagos Seaports For Seme- Border by deeptesting(m): 1:01am On Jun 11, 2013
Seriously Nigeria is a sinking ship as clearly stated by Mallam Ribadu, it's been two weeks i returned home from Dubai, my goods are still hanging without been cleared as a result of the logger head btw the agents and Customs .. I wil begin to look at receiving my goods from Seme if that will save me time and money..Nansense.
Re: Cargo cost: Importers Abandon Lagos Seaports For Seme- Border by emekatimsu(m): 6:50am On Jun 11, 2013
deeptesting: Seriously Nigeria is a sinking ship as clearly stated by Mallam Ribadu, it's been two weeks i returned home from Dubai, my goods are still hanging without been cleared as a result of the logger head btw the agents and Customs .. I wil begin to look at receiving my goods from Seme if that will save me time and money..Nansense.
Ds is one of the reasons Nigerians are all running away frm Naija port.
Re: Cargo cost: Importers Abandon Lagos Seaports For Seme- Border by kedukc(m): 7:57am On Jun 11, 2013
abdulumah:

Very soon you will blame Igbo boys for importing the blockhead you are using to think.

I no surprise sha, your papa may be training you with the money he extorts from traders, that's why you can't find anything wrong with the corruption. cool

(1) (Reply)

..... / What Banks In Nigeria Close At 5 Pm? / 12 Virgin Business Ideas To Profit From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.