Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,251 members, 7,880,931 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:30 AM

I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now (2032 Views)

Nigerians Protesting Right Now In Malaysia / I Have An American Visa But Dont Need It.. Not Now / I Have A 2years Us Visa But Yet To Use It And It Will Expire By Feb_pls Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by prayinghyde: 2:24pm On Jun 10, 2013
I just secured immigrant visa for my family through DV. However, I am scared to travel down because I have never heard anything good about America lately. I am not too comfortable in Nigeria but at least surviving. I have a job, a car and I'm living in a 3 bedroom flat in Lagos. The fear of selling off all this and going to start afresh with my wife and 2 children is really bugging me down. Please can someone tell me if this is a right decision I want to make to go to America and start all over again?
Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by akaniman: 4:43pm On Jun 10, 2013
Why did u process d visa in d first place?u are to make d decision ursef,i made d same decision sum months ago with my family of 4,and property more dan wat u highlighted above and I never regretted of doin so.Decision is based on ur faith.Cheers

1 Like

Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by tpia5: 4:48pm On Jun 10, 2013
Well, just be prepared for some hard times and the erosion of everything you consider values.

Not sure you have a choice since you already have the visa.

However, if you're lucky and have a good social support structure in place, it might not be so bad.

And dont assume your village witches cum ancestral enemies wont follow you to america o, just saying, so you wont be surprised when you meet them there or they meet you there.

But the extent to which they touch you, can still be determined by God and you personally.

1 Like

Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 10, 2013
@Op

......and what good news have you heard about Nigeria recently? Show me a man that isn't ready to take a risk in life and I will show you a man that will never rise if he falls.

@tpia
Where are you located(country wise)?

2 Likes

Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jun 10, 2013
It is not as difficult as often painted. There are jobs everywhere and the rate of unemployment is exaggerated. I would advise you to travel and in 2 to 3 years time you would have gotten your bearing and enjoy life. Do not let your children suffer because of your decision. Nigeria would be better we know it but who says you must struggle with them? The sort of negative news you hear are same things that happen in Nigeria everyday unreported. All those things dey happen for area. For every one bad news that comes out from America i would give you ten in Nigeria. Everything is reported in America but in Nigeria we know many places when journalist nor dey reach. It is not easy anywhere.

1 Like

Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by ifegy: 6:01pm On Jun 10, 2013
@OP, you should think about some plans regarding settliing down in America. If you just arrive unprepared and not knowledgeable as to how things work, you're likely to face difficulties.
Do some research before hand (what kind of qualifications/certifications/exams you'll need for the jobs you want to go for, and whether you can get them before you leave; cost of living in the areas you are considering living; professional organizations you might want to join for networking purposes; organizations that help new immigrants settle down, and can give you guidance for such things as how to look for jobs, how to fix up your resume, how to adapt to American customs and culture, etc).
Be prepared; have plans A, B and C, and you are more likely to make a good go of it.
Also, have a long term view: do you want to live there completely, shuttle back and forth, obtain citizenship and utilise that for work/travel to other places, etc?
The world is a big place, and there are so many new possibilities for you with your status. All the best as you make up your mind.

1 Like

Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by pator(m): 11:46am On Jun 11, 2013
[quote author=jennykadry]@Op

......and what good news have you heard about Nigeria recently? Show me a man that isn't ready to take a risk in life and I will show you a man that will never rise if he falls.

Simple truth. It is all of faith my friend.
Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by GboyegaD(m): 5:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
prayinghyde: I just secured immigrant visa for my family through DV. However, I am scared to travel down because I have never heard anything good about America lately. I am not too comfortable in Nigeria but at least surviving. I have a job, a car and I'm living in a 3 bedroom flat in Lagos. The fear of selling off all this and going to start afresh with my wife and 2 children is really bugging me down. Please can someone tell me if this is a right decision I want to make to go to America and start all over again?

It is worth the risk particularly since you are going on DV you have greater opportunities as there are rarely any discriminations against you. The challenge is that some people don't have papers which makes it difficult for them.
Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 11, 2013
prayinghyde: I just secured immigrant visa for my family through DV. However, I am scared to travel down because I have never heard anything good about America lately. I am not too comfortable in Nigeria but at least surviving. I have a job, a car and I'm living in a 3 bedroom flat in Lagos. The fear of selling off all this and going to start afresh with my wife and 2 children is really bugging me down. Please can someone tell me if this is a right decision I want to make to go to America and start all over again?

I would sugest you stay in Nigeria....that might be better for you.....after all...you say you are surviving so continue to survive.....see if you can give the visa to someone that looks like you...
this is the best advice that you will get

2 Likes

Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jun 11, 2013
Maybe you should go alone first for a bit and get established a little first and then bring your wife and kids to come and join you?

1 Like

Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 11, 2013

OP,

Real life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

5 years from today, you will read your post and laugh at yourself.
I know you will make it in America.

Be brave and strong .... and keep moving.
Now isn't the time to think. For if you start thinking, you will find 1000 reasons why not to go to America.

Don't be afraid to jump into the unknown and may the Lord help you.
Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:40pm On Jun 11, 2013
I just secured immigrant visa for my family through DV. However, I am scared to travel down because I have never heard anything good about America lately. I am not too comfortable in Nigeria but at least surviving. I have a job, a car and I'm living in a 3 bedroom flat in Lagos. The fear of selling off all this and going to start afresh with my wife and 2 children is really bugging me down. Please can someone tell me if this is a right decision I want to make to go to America and start all over again?[/quote]

I dont think you need an angel to tell you what you need to do, I made same decision 2yrs plus ago and I never regret it for a second.I also have over 5000 Nigerian immigrant in my location with sucess story.Ignore all those negative report and choose a positive thinking, nothing do America my friend.
Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by dasparrow: 12:08pm On Jun 12, 2013

Jobs are not as many as they used to be. In fact, unemployment is quite high but probably not as high as in Nigeria. Currently, there are more low paying jobs than there are high paying jobs available. So, you will be starting from scratch as a fresh-off-the-boat African immigrant. There is a lot of discrimination in America and get ready to be discriminated against by white and black Americans who think Africa is a jungle and we all sleep on trees.

The average American will subtly harass you if you have a native name rather than an English name. They hardly make any effort to pronounce our African names. They will also harass you because of your accent and skin color. You will not be able to discipline your children because you are not allowed to spank your kids. In America, the children are allowed to call the police on their parents should they get spanked by their parents. USA is a heavily armed country meaning a lot of Americans carry guns or keep them in their homes. Sometimes, these guns get into the hands of the wrong people who then go to schools, universities, worship centers and gun people down indiscriminately as you constantly hear in the news almost each month.

America tends to suffer from natural weather disasters a lot such as hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes etc so make sure you live in a state in the USA that has the least possible chance of experiencing a natural disaster. In USA, Nigerians are not so supportive of each other in comparison to like say Latinos (Spanish speaking folks from South America). In fact, you will find out sooner than later that you are better of distancing yourself from most Nigerians and their wahala.

With that said, let me tell you the good things about America. America has some of the best universities in the world. You will have access to constant electricity and water. There are quality products you can buy for a reasonable or cheap amount of money. Chicken meat is cheap. Juice and bread is cheap and so are other food stuffs except if you choose to live in New York city where food can be quite expensive. Infrastructure is in place and you will have access to better healthcare than what obtains in Nigeria.

There are different career opportunities one can explore in America that are not readily available in Nigeria. The Internet is really fast as well and cooking gas is also readily available. That being said, I cannot advise you to stay in Nigeria or to go to America. Every country in the world has its good side and bad side. It all depends what you want out of life. I have lived in America for over 13 years and am currently in Nigeria serving the nation (NYSC). I personally find Nigeria a difficult country to live in due to the epileptic power supply but I am also weary of America because of the constant discrimination and the lax gun laws. I also hate the fact that there is a very high chance that a black female teenager will get pregnant before she becomes a full fledged adult. In other words, teenage pregnancy is very high in America especially among black teenagers and any parent or potential parent will be concerned about that.

So these are some of the things one has to think about and evaluate. USA is not what it used to be when I migrated to the USA in the late 90s. Ever since the 9-11 terrorist attacks, America has never been the same again. I will personally recommend Canada over America anytime.

All the same, I wish you the best in whatever it is you decide to do.

3 Likes

Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by teemola(f): 3:09pm On Jun 12, 2013

If car and 3 bedroom flat in lagos is what you consider as been comfortable, then you will be very very confortable in United state within 3-6 months.Comparing what is obtainable in Nigeria to United state is like comparing day and night.

1 Like

Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 12, 2013
teemola:

If car and 3 bedroom flat in lagos is what you consider as beign comfortable, then you will be very very confortable in United state within 3-6 months.Comparing what is obtainable in Nigeria to United state is like comparing day and night.

lol ... I love this one even if it is very funny.
Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by mebad(m): 5:09am On Jun 13, 2013
Dear op, I know I look like you. Please let me take the risk for you by just giving me the visa to use.... Bikonu ..
Oga leave on the first jet plane jor. After all of you dont risk you won't discover
Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by Originalsly: 5:25am On Jun 13, 2013
Subomi-luv:
Maybe you should go alone first for a bit and get established a little first and then bring your wife and kids to come and join you?
If possible I think this is good advice.Jobs are not easy to find....any job period ...and it would be a bit more difficult for you a fresh immigrant.You have to bury your pride and basically grab the first job...then while in that one you can look for better ones.Cost of living can vary greatly depending on where you live as well as the way of life.In New York City rent is through the roof but food and clothing can be very reasonable due to fierce competition.You would not need a car since the mass transit network Is never too far away and runs 24/7. Texas, NJ...most other states a car is a necessity.If it were just you and your wife...I would say suit yourself but since you have kids then I would advise you take the opportunity for their sake...to give them the opportunity to be educated in whatever field they choose...to have them prepared to deal with the present and the future instead
of the past.On the comment about guns...some states almost any one can have a legal firearm...while in a state like New York it is extremely difficult to have a license firearm and a mandatory jail sentence if they find you with an illegal one. Teenage pregnancy is common all over the world regardless of race so why single out Blacks?
Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by goodtalk(m): 5:15pm On Jun 13, 2013
Subomi-luv:
Gbam!! Thats the most sensible option!!!
Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by prayinghyde: 3:51pm On Jul 15, 2013
Thanks for all the good counsel
Re: I Have America Visa But Scared Right Now by africanchilds: 5:26pm On Jul 15, 2013
dasparrow:

Jobs are not as many as they used to be. In fact, unemployment is quite high but probably not as high as in Nigeria. Currently, there are more low paying jobs than there are high paying jobs available. So, you will be starting from scratch as a fresh-off-the-boat African immigrant. There is a lot of discrimination in America and get ready to be discriminated against by white and black Americans who think Africa is a jungle and we all sleep on trees.

The average American will subtly harass you if you have a native name rather than an English name. They hardly make any effort to pronounce our African names. They will also harass you because of your accent and skin color. You will not be able to discipline your children because you are not allowed to spank your kids. In America, the children are allowed to call the police on their parents should they get spanked by their parents. USA is a heavily armed country meaning a lot of Americans carry guns or keep them in their homes. Sometimes, these guns get into the hands of the wrong people who then go to schools, universities, worship centers and gun people down indiscriminately as you constantly hear in the news almost each month.

America tends to suffer from natural weather disasters a lot such as hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes etc so make sure you live in a state in the USA that has the least possible chance of experiencing a natural disaster. In USA, Nigerians are not so supportive of each other in comparison to like say Latinos (Spanish speaking folks from South America). In fact, you will find out sooner than later that you are better of distancing yourself from most Nigerians and their wahala.

With that said, let me tell you the good things about America. America has some of the best universities in the world. You will have access to constant electricity and water. There are quality products you can buy for a reasonable or cheap amount of money. Chicken meat is cheap. Juice and bread is cheap and so are other food stuffs except if you choose to live in New York city where food can be quite expensive. Infrastructure is in place and you will have access to better healthcare than what obtains in Nigeria.

There are different career opportunities one can explore in America that are not readily available in Nigeria. The Internet is really fast as well and cooking gas is also readily available. That being said, I cannot advise you to stay in Nigeria or to go to America. Every country in the world has its good side and bad side. It all depends what you want out of life. I have lived in America for over 13 years and am currently in Nigeria serving the nation (NYSC). I personally find Nigeria a difficult country to live in due to the epileptic power supply but I am also weary of America because of the constant discrimination and the lax gun laws. I also hate the fact that there is a very high chance that a black female teenager will get pregnant before she becomes a full fledged adult. In other words, teenage pregnancy is very high in America especially among black teenagers and any parent or potential parent will be concerned about that.

So these are some of the things one has to think about and evaluate. USA is not what it used to be when I migrated to the USA in the late 90s. Ever since the 9-11 terrorist attacks, America has never been the same again. I will personally recommend Canada over America anytime.

All the same, I wish you the best in whatever it is you decide to do.

He has said it as an immgrant.
If you have someone here (US) willing to put you through
or if you meet someone willing to, You will be fine.Its down to your extent of
Adjustment .I hope you find comfort as soon as you desire.
I have being here for the past weeks and trying to reach Nigerians in CT,
and the tot of going to do some training is in to get a good paying Job

(1) (Reply)

Dubai Working Visa And Cost< 2 Yrs With Permit. / "Being A Female Nigerian Pilot" / Wonders Of China - The Ice City In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.