Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,802 members, 7,882,806 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 03:22 PM

Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? (25458 Views)

Where Did Nigerians Get That Superiority Complex From? / Why Do (some) Nigerians Abroad Despise Black Americans? / "how Far?" Is The Most Popular Slang Among Nigerians Abroad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 28, 2015
It's beyond social complexes. I think it has to do with the fact that the people abroad in most cases are considered to be wealthier. So he do pays the piper dictates the tune. Granted that Nigerians feel inferior when they 'listen' to others 'whispering' in British and American accents, its just about the fact that people living abroad are to a greater extent more exposed, more liberal, they think outside the box cos they have seen harder challenges and have grown survival strategies. By and large, these lifestyles have to do with education and traveling is a part of education.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by JoeCutie(m): 5:30pm On Apr 28, 2015
• The same reason why our ladies think and see Brazilian (and other foreign) hairs as better than their natural hairs.

• The same reason we all abandoned our "local" drama, Papa Ajasco, Supper story etc for foreign ones like iCarly (that is not even funny) etc

• The same reason why our so called politicians would rather collect their salaries in dollars instead of our Naira

• The same reason why Nigerians will never patronize our own 'INNOSON MOTORS' but then keep importing very expensive rides from abroad.

• The same reason why the rich ones among fly abroad for every medical treatment...even for ordinary headache just because they have money.

• The same reason why Nigerians always go for "foreign" rice instead of our own "local" rice.

• Finally, the same reason why we (Yes, we...Nigerians! ) always go for anything "foreign" over our "local" ones.

The list goes on... And it will never stop. This very stupid trend is already a big hustle in this country, and until we change our VERY INFERIOR MINDSET, it will NEVER change. undecided

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Boyooosa(m): 5:31pm On Apr 28, 2015
referring to your heading, i don't think the phrase superiority complex exists in this situation or probably does not fit in ur expression because, superiority complex can only set in when you psychologically feel inferior and you need to exaggerate or boost your ego. And judging it by the exposure of the people living in the western world, and considering the level of their exposure, what they know and their mindset; they are always free when they come to Naija or any other low-life (pardon me for my word, u can apply more appropriate word), country. What I observe about the way they operate back home or in Naija is much of expressing their feelings, the way they feel and the sincere way they would like something to be, people don't pretend that much over there! because they live there and they live a better lifestyle under better economy and more beautiful pictures and creative scenes, they have all the tendencies to tell you what they want freely than for you to tell them what is obtainable in Naija. they will always want you to upgrade yourself to a larger life. Like me now, i reside in Abuja (presently), i see the people you watch in the TV almost everyday, i have meetings with the ones I have the opportunity to.... they share their experience, i experience their way of life everyday, if i come to South West, either I have millions or not, my orientation will be different because South West is a place where i was once made to believe that a person with property of N50m is a wealthy man, whereas, u cant buy a plot of land with less than N200m where i live, Asokoro (call it forming, its still what am saying about self expression). As far as am concern, its all about expressing your lifestyle and ur mindset, as a Nigerian, if you feel like u have better edge, explore ur opportunities and let the more exposed dude take the day!
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 28, 2015
Afam4eva:
If anything, i think it's because those at home have inferiority complex and feel they have to hear from the guy that lives abroad before they go ahead with an action
It's not my fault I feel superior I schooled in France

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by baggioni: 5:38pm On Apr 28, 2015
Its not really their fault, its the doing of any one that treats them like god whenever they come around or the kind of attention pple give them makes them to look like super human beings. By the time we treat them as if they don't exist, they will be the one running after you.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by stayblack: 5:42pm On Apr 28, 2015
IF ABROAD EASY WHY U NOR TRY..RAM..PEOPLE LIVING ABROAD HAVE SEEN IT ALL..ANYTIME THEY TRAVEL BACK TO NIGERIA,EVERYTHIN LOOK DISGUSTING FROM AIRPORT TO UR HOME IS NONSENSES .EVERYTHIN FAKE,EVERYONE TRYING TO IMPRESS THE OTHER .FAKE CHURCHES,HUNGRY POLICE,FAKE CELEBRETIES,CLUELESS POLITICIANS ,NIGERIANS TRYING TO BE AMERICANS,WITH BOYS DRESSING LIKE GAYS OR TRANS,WOMEN WEARING ALL TYPE OF FAKE THINS...MEN UNA FAKE FOR NAIJA... grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by DInvertedHammer: 5:49pm On Apr 28, 2015
/
He who pays the piper determines the tune.

In most cases, family members do curry favours from diasporans.

Sometimes due to limited exposure, the ones in Nigeria think abnormalities are the norm. For example, even though GEJ is a total failure, some Nigerians were still shouting "GEJ till 2019". How else can you cure such madness than getting the diasporans involved?
\

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by 989900: 5:51pm On Apr 28, 2015
I think war/conflict is in the human DNA.

After tribal/religious e-war no do, you switch to diaspora vs local.

Man vs Woman.

Male child vs Female child.

Pastor vs Imam.

Tall vs Short.

Very Black vs Brown.

Orobo vs lepa

B00bs vs Booty.

lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by lepasharon(f): 5:51pm On Apr 28, 2015
I dont think I could ever go to Nigeria again..... I cant deal with the backward mentality, the religiotards, the culture shock...Nah mate !

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by omooba969(m): 5:58pm On Apr 28, 2015
McStoic:
Talking abt ignorance, the fact that a person stays abroad doesn't bestow on him an avalanche of knowledge on every leasing and tenancy laws. Go thru my post again for better judgement. I am talking about him giving consideration to the family ties entrenched in our lifestyle. At least the visitor could be a friend who just got DEPORTED or a brother who just got a new job in town and needs some months to figure himself out. That could be obtainable abroad but am talking of Nigeria!! Most of these 'akata' folks lived their earlier years in Nigeria but easily shed off the norms they grew up in cos of abroad mentality. SMH.

Ur idea of 9ja lifestyle/culture is wot I call SENTIMENT which is damaging for d landlord's interest. Itz not landlord's biz who gets deported or needs help wit roof over their head. U must understand dat d more ppl in a property means more WEAR&TEAR, also dis will definitely impact on d use of energy in d same property as d energy bill will rise considerably. The presence of dis same needy ppl in d property makes ur co-tenant feel uncomfortable as they r only aware of u as d contracted tenant. So d 30day clause is cool IMO.

Secondly, where ever u travel to surely presents u wit sumtin positive to learn either in lifestyle or standard of living. So wot I mean is dat u r more exposed & ur views r broader. Sure, u will start to reason differently & 9ja folks wud conclude dat u r forming. grin
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 28, 2015
Afam4eva:
If anything, i think it's because those at home have inferiority complex and feel they have to hear from the guy that lives abroad before they go ahead with an action

Thank u, u just said it all.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by omooba969(m): 6:03pm On Apr 28, 2015
lepasharon:
I dont think I could ever go to Nigeria again..... I cant deal with the backward mentality, the religiotards, the culture shock...Nah mate !

Lepa take am easy o, 9ja is where u belong-- ajo oda bi ile ! wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by lulu69: 6:05pm On Apr 28, 2015
pleep:
Maybe because those of us abroad are actually smarter and more informed?

dude... do you realize that as a landlord your property depreciates ( looses value) faster the more people are living in it? That stipulation is there so that his tenants don't flood his property with permanent "visitors" who aren't paying him. Hospitality be damned business is business.

You should let more capable people make the important decisions.

You live abroad and are smarter yet you spell "lose" like that? Issorai.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by U2ice(m): 6:06pm On Apr 28, 2015
...Their business
They live dia, me go de go weekend dia

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by pansophist(m): 6:20pm On Apr 28, 2015
yorke1:
Because they wash plates and corpses abroad...and get paid big for it

If you will bash Nigerian diasporan, do it with common sense at least.

Corpse washing are done by professionals and not just anybody, and even if they wash corpse abroad, whats wrong with it?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Apr 28, 2015
McStoic:
Folks, how many of you have noticed this norm? I have encountered and heard of scenarios whereby some vital family decisions have been put on hold because of certain directives from abroad. Probably because the ''been to'' member of the family who is not around feels he has to dictate who does what and what action is in vogue or archaic.

Most times this is worst with folks in the UK. I know of a landlord friend who made funny decrees in the agreements with his tenants. The funniest one being that the tenants cannot harbour visitors in their flat for more than 30 days. And would have to notify the caretaker in writing in advance of any visit that would exceed the stipulated 30 days; imagine!

He forgot that this is not UK, after all hospitality is part of African culture . All advice as a friend has fallen on deaf ears. Any witness guys? embarassed
Hahaha, OP is just upset. cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by RaeMystix: 7:03pm On Apr 28, 2015
pansophist:

If you will bash Nigerian diasporan, do it with common sense at least.

Corpse washing are done by professionals and not just anybody, and even if they wash corpse abroad, whats wrong with it?
True. One actually has to obtain a certain type of certification inorder to obtain such a job.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by seangy4konji: 7:28pm On Apr 28, 2015
wot is this one saying...
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Apr 28, 2015
Na wa for this OP oo. Your reasons are too shallow sef undecided Smh!
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Apr 28, 2015
McStoic:
Talking abt ignorance, the fact that a person stays abroad doesn't bestow on him an avalanche of knowledge on every leasing and tenancy laws. Go thru my post again for better judgement. I am talking about him giving consideration to the family ties entrenched in our lifestyle. At least the visitor could be a friend who just got DEPORTED or a brother who just got a new job in town and needs some months to figure himself out. That could be obtainable abroad but am talking of Nigeria!! Most of these 'akata' folks lived their earlier years in Nigeria but easily shed off the norms they grew up in cos of abroad mentality. SMH.
Let come to think of it, don't you think its normal for a care taker to be able to wake up give a list of those occupying the property. It will go along way to helping police or other agency incase of a problem.
It is here in nigeria people get a maid they don't even know anything about, the 30days maximum stay sound funny though and I don't think even in abroad its goes that way but let's be realistic there are lots of practices that is making it difficult for us to grow.
1. unexpected visit from the village without a clear definition and prior notice or consideration of financial status.
2. Everything depends on the first child having to shoulder the responsibility of his own family and the entire siblings.
3. If you are not rich you xan never come up with a good idea so let's wait for the money bag, whatever he says.
4. and many more you can think of.
#this is just an opinion
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Apr 28, 2015
omooba969:

Lepa take am easy o, 9ja is where u belong-- ajo oda bi ile ! wink
leave her alone. the yorubas have the habit of saying it is not only rain that send a farmer to the hut......thank God SA xeno was quickly dealt with, many who promised never to visit naija will find it hard to recognise osodi talkless which motor pack to get a bus to thre village.

NIGERIA a country that can't be compared with any other.
GOdbless nigeria!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Motolank: 8:21pm On Apr 28, 2015
Don't mind those abroad, some of them can't even speak good English undecided
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by boyberlin: 8:54pm On Apr 28, 2015
Because those at home are tribalistic,dumb and shallow minded.
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by rexisfree(m): 9:14pm On Apr 28, 2015
You are the low level man here. Because you don't know anything
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by omooba969(m): 9:23pm On Apr 28, 2015
baggioni:
Its not really their fault, its the doing of any one that treats them like god whenever they come around or the kind of attention pple give them makes them to look like super human beings. By the time we treat them as if they don't exist, they will be the one running after you.

Why una go treat person wey get money like they don't exit--ehn maka why? grin We help support d 9ja economy in some ways considering d revenue generation thru money transfer & d likes. We even dey help wit stomach infrastructure within our families & friends.

So guy, try & make some buckz then u 'll be celebrated---simple. cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by omooba969(m): 9:27pm On Apr 28, 2015
Motolank:
Don't mind those abroad, some of them can't even speak good English undecided

Bad belle grin
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by oluwasegun007(m): 9:27pm On Apr 28, 2015
@OP.....do u no wat d xchange rate of d Naairaa 2 d dollaar, pound or euro....wen u do, den dats d reason
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Cavenchy(m): 10:24pm On Apr 28, 2015
afolag:

Let come to think of it, don't you think its normal for a care taker to be able to wake up give a list of those occupying the property. It will go along way to helping police or other agency incase of a problem.
It is here in nigeria people get a maid they don't even know anything about, the 30days maximum stay sound funny though and I don't think even in abroad its goes that way but let's be realistic there are lots of practices that is making it difficult for us to grow.
1. unexpected visit from the village without a clear definition and prior notice or consideration of financial status.
2. Everything depends on the first child having to shoulder the responsibility of his own family and the entire siblings.
3. If you are not rich you xan never come up with a good idea so let's wait for the money bag, whatever he says.
4. and many more you can think of.
#this is just an opinion

To add to what you posted, Nigerian tenants are fund of heaping all their relatives in a house clearly not designed for such capacity. The Landlord in the OP's situation probably pays all the bills for the property. If the tenant paid bills (Water included) and had sufficient tenancy deposit to repair what ever damage they are capable of causing the property, I doubt the Landlord would even care how many people live there.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by Motolank: 10:54pm On Apr 28, 2015
omooba969:

Bad belle grin
Lol
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by zinny2049: 12:13am On Apr 29, 2015
McStoic:
Folks, how many of you have noticed this norm? I have encountered and heard of scenarios whereby some vital family decisions have been put on hold because of certain directives from abroad. Probably because the ''been to'' member of the family who is not around feels he has to dictate who does what and what action is in vogue or archaic.

Most times this is worst with folks in the UK. I know of a landlord friend who made funny decrees in the agreements with his tenants. The funniest one being that the tenants cannot harbour visitors in their flat for more than 30 days. And would have to notify the caretaker in writing in advance of any visit that would exceed the stipulated 30 days; imagine!

He forgot that this is not UK, after all hospitality is part of African culture . All advice as a friend has fallen on deaf ears. Any witness guys? embarassed
for example my uncle that lives in the UK he feels he know it all and he always feel that his better than us
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by McStoic(m): 12:18am On Apr 29, 2015
989900:
I think war/conflict is in the human DNA.
After tribal/religious e-war no do, you switch to diaspora vs local.

Man vs Woman.
Male child vs Female child.
Pastor vs Imam.
Tall vs Short.
Very Black vs Brown.
Orobo vs lepa
B00bs vs Booty.
lipsrsealed
Tailing me is your pastime, is that? Like your moniker declares, if you have got 989900 problems, why seek to add more by losing sleep over my post which existence kinda looks older than your intelligence? I am not saying you shouldn't flex e-muscles, while at it force yourself to figure out the possibility of everyone on Nairaland having a right to contribute on the posts they created..
Re: Why Do Some Nigerians Abroad Have Superiority Complex Over Those At Home? by McStoic(m): 12:18am On Apr 29, 2015
stayblack:
IF ABROAD EASY WHY U NOR TRY..RAM..PEOPLE LIVING ABROAD HAVE SEEN IT ALL..ANYTIME THEY TRAVEL BACK TO NIGERIA,EVERYTHIN LOOK DISGUSTING FROM AIRPORT TO UR HOME IS NONSENSES .EVERYTHIN FAKE,EVERYONE TRYING TO IMPRESS THE OTHER .FAKE CHURCHES,HUNGRY POLICE,FAKE CELEBRETIES,CLUELESS POLITICIANS ,NIGERIANS TRYING TO BE AMERICANS,WITH BOYS DRESSING LIKE GAYS OR TRANS,WOMEN WEARING ALL TYPE OF FAKE THINS...MEN UNA FAKE FOR NAIJA... gringrin grin grin
Hmmm......your handle speaks volumes of your identity crisis. Like I told a bloke way earlier up there, your type has the whiteman to put him where he belongs.....You call naijans fake cos you have travelled out? C'est grave!! Has it ever occurred to you that many of us down here are more cultured than your ilk who is a whiteman's lab rat suitable for experiments bordering on aggravated multicultural induced disorder? See, being comfortable here and travelling abroad for vacations is my preference hence don't foist your lame mutterings on those who are better than you, simply because "a' lack of basic education makes you a sentry for targets of unpatriotic criticism......My punt is on you to have pierced your members to no end, your personality a fierce departure from who your family members contributed money to send abroad because you think you have arrived. Your comments are there to puncture your possible lame denials......DON'T DARE!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos From The 2017 Osun Osogbo Festival / Pictures Of Aba (abia State) Or Usofia (anambra State) Pls Help! / Proudly Bini Names And Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.