Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,057 members, 7,939,249 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 09:27 PM

Nigerian Governments And Creating "Websites" On Facebook - Why? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigerian Governments And Creating "Websites" On Facebook - Why? (520 Views)

The Super Simple Beginner's Guide To Creating Websites Using Wordpress / You Can Now Host Your Websites On Google Drive / Get All Your Info On Creating Websites And Hacking Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Governments And Creating "Websites" On Facebook - Why? by yawatide(f): 6:23pm On Jun 12, 2013
So, I have noticed this for a while but decided to post about it - Many governments, at all levels, don't have actual websites but if you go to facebook, it is littered with fan/group pages for such institutions.

Why is this? I can only come up with the following possible reasons and let you all chime in with your answers:

1) They don't want to spend on an actual website, since they can't afford it

2) They get a budget for an actual website, but pocket the money and go for the facebook option

3) The web developer gets the contract but thinks he/she is smart and gives the (usually ignorant) client the facebook page

4) Since probably 99% of Nigerians who are online are on facebook, it makes sense to some people to just kuku patronize facebook, with the fact that it is free, an added plus.

Oya, what are your thoughts here? I would love to hear them.
Re: Nigerian Governments And Creating "Websites" On Facebook - Why? by GraphicsPlus(m): 7:34pm On Jun 12, 2013
The issue is that 90% of those facebook pages are fake. They are operated by 419ers who want to use the name of those government agencies to dupe people. There is no government institution that will have a facebook page without a website. I mean it makes sense to have website first before facebook page. Aside promoting a facebook page by paying facebook, how will people know you have a facebook page? But when you have a website and people visit it, it's natural to have a facebook icon that will lead the user to the page when clicked. The issue is that Nigerian politicians have not really embraced the e-world. Every state should have a vibrant website. Every governor should even have a personal blog site.
Re: Nigerian Governments And Creating "Websites" On Facebook - Why? by yawatide(f): 8:09pm On Jun 12, 2013
^^^ What do you say about this?

Google for "akwa ibom water company". Go through the at least 3 pages of results. Then go to facebook and check for the the same name. You will see what I mean...and trust me, for this state government alone, I have more examples.

Could it be that it is specific to this state? I can't say as I don't have the time to check the other 35. That notwithstanding, I am sure it is happening with the other states. I can tell you on authority though that 2 years or so ago, I spoke with a state house of assembly speaker and he was pretty upset that upon the amount of money paid to a web guy to do their site, he ended up playing them for fools by creating a "website" on facebook. Apparently, he thought the speaker wasn't web savvy.

(1) (Reply)

Admins Are Needed On An Upcoming Site / Help Suggest A Simple Plugin For Ad Display on Wordpress / Help Guruz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.