Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,040 members, 7,896,385 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 12:30 PM

Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production (9862 Views)

8 Best Chinese Restaurants In Abuja / Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken / Domestic Grinding Machine In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 13, 2013
angry Make this guys allow our domestic farmers handle this business na? If na Nigerians try something illegal for china now they for don hang them. sad
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by chukxie(m): 4:02pm On Jun 13, 2013
bknight: And I've been priding myself of not using anything china, so I cld hv been eating d chinese fish, licking my fingers & drinking happily while boasting of how I'd rather not use phone than use a made-in-china phone like Techno

angry
Funny! Most of the phones we use were either assembled or outrightly made in China. A Canadian friend of mine who visited me from Saskatchewan bought a big towel with a red maple leaf on it and a white hoodie for me as gifts. I was really excited I decided try on the hoodie because it was winter.The label (tag) inside it caught my eyes as i was trying it on. At the back of the label was "Made in China" slyly written! And in front of it was the name of the Canadian company that owns the brand. Least i forget, the towel ,too, was made in China! A lot of people with strong aversion for Chinese products still use them unbeknownst to them. Back to the matter at hand, our govt should check the excesses of those Chinese nationals and Nigerians importing fish into Nigeria. It's a shame that such practices are allowed to happen unabated. There was this guy at Oke Arin Market that used to import toothpicks from China!
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Originalsly: 4:27pm On Jun 13, 2013
Is the FG really serious about stamping out the illegal importation and distribution of fish? What is stopping them from forfeiting any property used to carry out such business? After frozen fish live fish would be introduced and then the havoc they would create locally would be irreversible.It is for this reason that countries like the US are more serious about the importation of plants and animals than drug smuggling.The Chinese will go only as far as the FG allows them to.
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by K2: 4:37pm On Jun 13, 2013
The government should not only shut these places down but confiscate their properties. They'd learn their lessons that way.
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by aquabeing: 4:48pm On Jun 13, 2013
I believe the Federal government through the Federal Department of Fisheries in conjuction with the Fisheries Society of Nigeria(FISON) needs to empower the local fish farmers more in term of subsidising the amount of feed available to farmers to raise their stock from fingerlings to table size and should embrace the training of interested individuals to participate in other fish culture methods like the introduction of Fish Aggregating Devices such as the Acadja,Fish cage and Fish pen in other to boost our domestic fish production to meet the yearning demand of the population for a source of relatively cheaper protein compare to meat after all the country is blessed with a large coast line.Capture fishing can only be encourage by providing security of trawlers and lives onboard such trawelers.
Lastly we need to introduce control measures such as the closed fishing season to ensure that gravid fishes are not caught during mating season to enable the growth of fingerlings to Adult size thereby ensuring continous supply of fishes from our coastal bodies.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by grandstar(m): 5:41pm On Jun 13, 2013
the issue is not importation but competitiveness! chinese fish is cheaper. if nigeria wants to compete with the chinese, huge megafish farms are needed and perhaps also producing for export. if they are internationally competitive, chinese will fail.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by funnyx(m): 5:54pm On Jun 13, 2013
grandstar: the issue is not importation but competitiveness! chinese fish is cheaper. if nigeria wants to compete with the chinese, huge megafish farms are needed and perhaps also producing for export. if they are internationally competitive, chinese will fail.

We can operate smaller ponds and get many employed rather than have some big mega farms. Also we do not have to compete with the Chinese in our own country! The govt should empower more Nigerians to get into fish farming to meet local demand rather than open the door for foreign competitors. Even in Europe farmers are protected via subsidies, if our government cannot protect us in our country who will?

1 Like

Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by ikweremilitant: 6:46pm On Jun 13, 2013
ukukaegbu: These Chinese sef. Their hand dey for everything. But China fish go good at all? Make person no get diarrhoea after eating china fish!

I used to come first when I was in primary school sha
china fish agan. Una sure say na original,well make we mange am fulani shakara for them cow don too much
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by DisGuy: 7:34pm On Jun 13, 2013
funnyx: And some people will say Nigerians are lazy, how can one survive with all the odds against you? The govt should do something about this illegal cheap import fast.

if they are not lazy they would be jailing the so called importers instead of chatting dogo turanci about their process and regular seizures that don't dent their operations

the govt that is
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Panter215: 8:48pm On Jun 13, 2013
funnyx: And some people will say Nigerians are lazy, how can one survive with all the odds against you? The govt should do something about this illegal cheap import fast.
I still wonder how the imports from china will be cheaper than the one in naija if not for lack of vision from the government. Check it out: China as over 6 times our popolation (more people to feed), they are more than 10000km away ( transport cost to customer expected to be higher) and no technology I know of now for making fishes other than catch in open water or feeding fingerlings which is not high tech( tech not hidden from us). If our govt can look beyond banning and encourage our farmers (funding) to see beyond "operation feed the nation" and aim to feed the world, maybe our farm products will be competitive enough and our custom officers can concentrate on stopping dangerous substances coming into the country.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 13, 2013
Everyday we talk about self-employment, and our govt always talk about youth in agriculture. We need to make the market avaliable to our livestock farmers. No wonder alot of pple complain about making LOSS from fish pond business, when fish farmers from china are making GAIN here in nigeria. Infact must bring in everything? na wa ooo.
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 13, 2013
TRUTH IS THE NIGERIAN FISH FARMERS WONT REINVEST, EXPAND THEIR BUSINESSES TO MEET THE DEMAND INSTEAD THEY BLAME THE CHINESE FOR THEIR LACK OF VISION. AS 4 ME O FISH NA FISH I GO CHOP AM

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Ironi: 11:19pm On Jun 13, 2013
If Nigerians have an idea of how the Chinese farm these fishes they would puke.

They feed the fishes human shiit, no kidding.
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by kelvin1191(m): 11:23pm On Jun 13, 2013
Very soon go start to dey hear fish flu, one (1) week table size fish as we av 45 days chicken after they load am with steriod. Chinko, i fear una o!
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by chinaman666(m): 12:01am On Jun 14, 2013
Ironi: If Nigerians have an idea of how the Chinese farm these fishes they would puke.

They feed the fishes human shiit, no kidding.

And how would you know that?
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by lagbaja(m): 6:54am On Jun 14, 2013
It is gladdening that these issues are beginning to gain prominense. It is up to nigerians to either see them as opportunties or as threats. Nigerian fish farmers should continue to explore ways to be more efficient in fish production in order to achieve a competitve per unit cost. Fish feed alone constitues about 70% of operating cost in nigeria despite the abundance of agric wastes in the country that can be easily converted into fish feed. We also have a poor marketing approach for our products, the value chain is poorly developed. By now, we should have aggregators for locally farmed fishes who will buy from local farms, preserve them in cold rooms and sell in cartons. This will eliminate the existence of middle market players who are responsible for the high retail prices of locally farmed fishes.
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by TonyLee1(m): 7:13am On Jun 14, 2013
hi,all friend,i found a question,most of you no use or no eat Chinese products,but almost all of you hate Chinese products,i am surprised for that,Chines fish is cheaper and safe to eat,why not choose?
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by redsun(m): 8:58am On Jun 14, 2013
Be mindful of fish from china,most of them,especially tilapia bred with hormones and testosterone. I wouldn't eat any food that comes from china to africa where there are no viable quality control in place to make sure the foods that comes in are relatively safe.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Nobody: 9:41am On Jun 14, 2013
funnyx:

We can operate smaller ponds and get many employed rather than have some big mega farms. Also we do not have to compete with the Chinese in our own country! The govt should empower more Nigerians to get into fish farming to meet local demand rather than open the door for foreign competitors. Even in Europe farmers are protected via subsidies, if our government cannot protect us in our country who will?

BY BANNING THE IMPORTATION OF FISH THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT HAS DONE ENOUGH EMPOWERING
ITS UP TO THE FARMERS TO USE THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXPAND INVEST DO MORE THAN JUST COMPLAIN
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 14, 2013
eGuerrilla:

While it is a fact that Nigeria spends about N50 billion on fish imports every year, your post inadvertently lends support to the illegal trade under scrutiny here.

Sometimes when you don't have fact on what you are talking about..it's more reasonable to keep quiet.

Show me a circular where Tilapia is on the ban item list...

The banks still accept E-Form opened for this fish specie...the scanning company still issue RAR for the item, NADFAC still clear the documentations and the custom collects duty and still clear the product and finally the CBN still provide funds to pay either for the LC / Bill for Collection on each shipment of this your 'ILLEGAL TRADE'.

Some folks here just think that you import fish just the same way yo bring in dry cargoes!

There are more govt agencies regulating the process of a reefer container than a dry container

The problem lies with FDF...and all they are trying to cover up is their own gross and glaring incompetence

1 Like

Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Nobody: 10:55am On Jun 14, 2013
redsun: Be mindful of fish from china,most of them,especially tilapia bred with hormones and testosterone. I wouldn't eat any food that comes from china to africa where there are no viable quality control in place to make sure the foods that comes in are relatively safe .

That is a bloody lie from where ever you pulled it off from...

Nigerian agencies are some of the strictest in Africa
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by bknight: 11:04am On Jun 14, 2013
Yes, its difficult not to use stuff made in china cos those chinese guys hv penetrated most sectors in almost every country. embarassed

But an indigenous chinese company? I'd rather buy a japanese product than china. They are a bit better in quality.
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by funnyx(m): 12:10pm On Jun 14, 2013
Babzilla:

BY BANNING THE IMPORTATION OF FISH THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT HAS DONE ENOUGH EMPOWERING
ITS UP TO THE FARMERS TO USE THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXPAND INVEST DO MORE THAN JUST COMPLAIN

Ban without enforcement?
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Veronfemzy: 4:42pm On Jun 14, 2013
Policewoman: Why import fish where we have plenty in the river at by backyard hometown, Okrika? Na wah o.
ibo made fish abi?
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by DLL1: 8:03am On Jun 17, 2013
good luck importing fishes from US instead of China. the catfishes will be priced 5000 nairas for 1 kg. the majority of nigerians will not be able even to feed themselves. in a impoverished country like naija, what's the most important thing? you are right, keep all the people alve!!!

gbosaa: Federal govt/Nafdac should as a matter of urgency stop importation of frozen food from china especially seafoods

There are lots of irregularities and malpractices in the production of most of these seafoods in china.

US FDA had problems with this guys and their imports sometime in the past and they keep re-offending with the same heavily tainted fishes.

Most of these seafoods are ladden with antibiotics and carcinogenic substances.

Fishes that should mature in about 5months are harvested in a 8weeks after pumping them with dangerous chemicals and drugs.

Nigeria needs a Dora Akunyili sort of person to tidy up the mess.We are all in trouble if we keep allowing these corrupt asian business men to keep flooding our food market with embalmed and harmful products.
[b]good luck importing fishes from US instead of China. the catfishes will be priced 5000 nairas for 1 kg. the majority of nigerians will not be able even to feed themselves.

gbosaa: Federal govt/Nafdac should as a matter of urgency stop importation of frozen food from china especially seafoods

There are lots of irregularities and malpractices in the production of most of these seafoods in china.

US FDA had problems with this guys and their imports sometime in the past and they keep re-offending with the same heavily tainted fishes.

Fishes that should mature in about 5months are harvested in a 8weeks after pumping them with dangerous chemicals and drugs.

Nigeria needs a Dora Akunyili sort of person to tidy up the mess.We are all in trouble if we keep allowing these corrupt asian business men to keep flooding our food market with embalmed and harmful products.
[/b]good luck importing fishes from US instead of China. the catfishes will be priced 5000 nairas for 1 kg. the majority of nigerians will not be able even to feed themselves.

[/b][b][/b][b][color=#990000][/color][/b][b][/b][b][/b][b][b][/b]
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by DLL1: 8:04am On Jun 17, 2013
][size=15pt][/size]good luck importing fishes from US instead of China. the catfishes will be priced 5000 nairas for 1 kg. the majority of nigerians will not be able even to feed themselves. in a impoverished country like naija, what's the most important thing? you are right, keep all the people alve!!![[color=#990000][/color][size=15pt][/size]
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jun 17, 2013
ilugunboy:

Sometimes when you don't have fact on what you are talking about..it's more reasonable to keep quiet.

Show me a circular where Tilapia is on the ban item list...

The banks still accept E-Form opened for this fish specie...the scanning company still issue RAR for the item, NADFAC still clear the documentations and the custom collects duty and still clear the product and finally the CBN still provide funds to pay either for the LC / Bill for Collection on each shipment of this your 'ILLEGAL TRADE'.

Some folks here just think that you import fish just the same way yo bring in dry cargoes!

There are more govt agencies regulating the process of a reefer container than a dry container

The problem lies with FDF...and all they are trying to cover up is their own gross and glaring incompetence

What facts are you talking about here? ilugunboy's or the FDF's?

It is you and not me, who is hell bent on debunking claims of unlicensed fish importation here.

Since you find the message conveyed so contentious, why don't you do the honourable thing and provide provide proof to buttress your assertions. As I am not expert in the area, I am more than prepared to review my position if you can demonstrate that illegal smuggling simply does not takes place.

The Federal Department of Fisheries (FDF) is the competent authority responsible for issuance of such licences after approval has been given. However, the minister of agriculture has placed on hold the importation of frozen fish into the country since June, 2012 stating categorically “I do not approve fish importation.” FDF has therefore not issued any form of licence for importation of all fish and fish products into Nigeria, ever since.

She attributed the reported importation of fish species to the usual work of smugglers.
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Originalsly: 1:31am On Jun 19, 2013
redsun: Be mindful of fish from china,most of them,especially tilapia bred with hormones and testosterone. I wouldn't eat any food that comes from china to africa where there are no viable quality control in place to make sure the foods that comes in are relatively safe.
You can say that again. For those who can tell if a tilapia is male or female....if they are all male then you can bet your life they are all genetically engineered fish.Eat enough of them and later on in life you will be the first to suffer from sicknesses unknown in your ancestry. Why you?
Re: Chinese Fish Imports Threaten Growing Domestic Production by Horus(m): 1:18pm On Sep 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHEXEOS0AH4

[size=15pt]Nigeria looks to ban fish imports[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Spends $3.2bn On Importation Of Palm Oil In 10-years / Name The Most Common Food In Nigeria / I'm Tired of Chicken, So I Want to Go for This Thing [Picture]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.