Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,664 members, 7,885,736 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 02:24 PM

My Friend's African Adventure - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Friend's African Adventure (671 Views)

Adventure Of The Rings / The Adventure Of Corper John / NYSC: National Year Of Sex And Comfort <<<Adventure of the year: 2013 Awards >>> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Friend's African Adventure by bilms(m): 2:12pm On Jun 15, 2013
Hi guys, i wish to share the thought of my friend on her African adventure...

enjoy..

Last year my friends and I spoke about how we so often speak of an Africa we know nothing off. As a solution to getting to know our Africa we challenged each other to travel by road to one anothers country. You craft your own road and borders you want to cross. During this time you need to interact with people in those countries. Ask about lifestyle, challenges & opportunities, etc. I needed to travel to Dar earlier so I couldn't take my trip with my friends. I thought since I'm travelling alone let me take a flight to Dar. Not only did my friends object to this but since I agreeded to this crazy idea I had to do it. I was excited though. Somehow people thought I should be scared. I travelled to Hong Kong all by myself where people didn't look like me, didn't speak my language. Etc. Why should I be scared of my own people? Anyway. I left SA on wednesday I'm 5 hours from Dar es Salaam. I spent 2 days in Zambia. I interviewed 3 people. A bus driver, a hotel cleaner and a business woman. Not only is my mission accomplished but I am so proud of myself. Feels like I just ran the comrades. I have so much energy left I could go further unfortunately my distination is to be reached soon. I met amazing people in the process. I am in love with Africa more than ever before. I can't wait to share travel experience with those who will make it to Dar. Use a bus if u can but be safe too. Avoid DRC route. There is nothing that can't be done. TeamSA I will be waiting for u on this end. U can do it and nothing is possible. Maybe Kilimanjaro will be the next challenge. Ha ha ha
Re: My Friend's African Adventure by bilms(m): 2:13pm On Jun 15, 2013
I crossed the Zambian-Tanzania border and caught a bus to Dar es Salaam. Since there is a language barrier I opted to just sit in the bus, shut my mouth and read a book. Two hours later the bus stops in a small town for 5 minutes. The guy sitting next to me quickly jumps off to go get some grilled bananas. He offers me some. I smiled, said thank you and took one. He then said take more I said to him let me finish this one first. He then asks:"Are you Zambian" I said no South African. He then asks where you going? I said Kilimani. He said me too. I smiled and he said "Welcome home". Next stop I was sleeping he ran out to get food. He comes back wakes me up gives me a serviette chicken and potatoes. #Tanzanians are just too awesome I tell. (He said to me welcome home. He sees no foreign in me. There is hope for Africa. We can do this)
Re: My Friend's African Adventure by bilms(m): 2:14pm On Jun 15, 2013
Lusaka was great, but the language barrier I am experiencing in this town is on another level. Sign language can't even save me. Let me just go get a hotel room in Tunduma. I will spend my friday watching movies since speaking to people out here needs a special skill.

lol. where I am now is where everyone meets. Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia. so u can imagine, the tone, pronounciation. I can't hear Jack when they speak. I need a translator when I come here.

I get angry at them, cos I wanted water but no one understood. until I gave up. lol. I must come teach English this side. this is not right. we must converse somehow.
Re: My Friend's African Adventure by bilms(m): 10:43pm On Jun 15, 2013
Re: My Friend's African Adventure by bilms(m): 8:28am On Jun 17, 2013
. lipsrsealed.

(1) (Reply)

WHO DEY Breathe/story/comic/just For Fun / Please Contribute To A Thread On Nigerian Culture, & Family Story Books Online / African Story Challenge Health Cycle Open For Entries. ($20,000 For 20 Projects)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.