Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,706 members, 7,882,415 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 02:25 AM

Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? (982 Views)

Jonathan Succeeds Clinton As Keynote Speaker At Us Forum / General Buhari Shares A First Shot With Prof.osinbajo His Running Mate. / BREAKING: Buhari Picks Amaechi As His Running Mate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 6:46pm On May 08, 2008
With absolutely no question, a Vulture will always be a Vulture; but when the party begins (when Obama is elected), this evil Vulture could be systematically controlled and become a major asset to Obama's administration (the combination of a nice guy and an evil genius always produces an untouchable wonderment).

At this point, I think it would be enormously beneficial if Obama picks Hillary Clinton as his running mate.
It may sound weird and unreasonable (and this is how republicans want it to sound), but if the strategy is put together prudently, I think these parties (Obama and Hillary) could easily take it to the next level together.

Obama as the president will be magnificent
Hillary as the VP will also be great.
Hence, both of them will represent winners at the end of the day.

I think it is now time for them to immediately forget the past, realize how sweet the big cake would be and get back on track together before it's too late.

FYI: Repulicans are deeply terrified to see the amalgamate of the two.
The ticket (Obama and Hillary) will automatically disable the republicans for the next 16 years.
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by toshmann(m): 6:55pm On May 08, 2008
it will be easier to unite israel and hamas than to unite the democrat party for the november elections.

and by the way, who tell you say obama na the nominee? you never know what de clintons can do. that woman is a monster and bill has become a viper. if obama picks her, he may get killed after election/swearing in, and she becomes president. she will do anything to become president. remember her vibes. . . yes we will.

obama himself is somewhat naive, he cant face the republican attack machinery. anyway, i'll be surprised if he becomes the nominee.
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by dangermous: 7:06pm On May 08, 2008
@toshmann

You sure say e never wrap up the nomination already. Her only hope na to make the Michigan and Florida results stand.
If not the tune on her Ipod will be . ' Hit the Road Jill and don't come back no more no more no more no more'
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by toshmann(m): 7:23pm On May 08, 2008
there is a saying in american politics that the political terrain is littered with the bodies of those who underestimated the clintons. these guys have been in politics for over 30yrs. do you think they are stupid? what on earth will make them hang on unless they have some secret agenda somewhere. and mind you they said "something" will happen b4 june and reassured their supporters that they'll be at the white house.

i trust McCain more than any of those guys. Obama inclusive. If Obama wins, he will most likely dissappoint a lot of people who expected to see change b/c you and i know that change does not come like that grin the change obama preaches will take decades grin grin grin

we are watching cool
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by dangermous: 7:27pm On May 08, 2008
abeg, make she go siddon somewhere. Dey no fit do anything.

the game don give the go ahead= FINISH HER
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by Uche2nna(m): 7:33pm On May 08, 2008
dangermous:

@toshmann

You sure say e never wrap up the nomination already. Her only hope na to make the Michigan and Florida results stand
If not the tune on her Ipod will be . ' Hit the Road Jill and don't come back no more no more no more no more'

Even if she picks up Michigan and Florida , it is still Mathematically impossible for her to get the nod. As of yesterday, some super delegates that have been undecided since the begining of this marathon campaign have endorsed Obama making it more difficult for Hillary.

However, like u said Clinton is known as the come-back kid and the thought they are still hanging makes me wonder why? Why put her political career on the line by hanging on? Maybe they know something that we don't. But I would be really suprised if Obama is not nominated.

As for Obama/Hillary ticket, that is a sure way to the white house. I believe Obama can do it alone but it would be way much easier if they Hillary was the running mate. The trouble would start when they eventually get to the White house. grin
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 7:36pm On May 08, 2008
If Obama wins, he will most likely dissappoint a lot of people who expected to see change b/c you and i know that change does not come like that the change obama preaches will take decades

@toshmann:

Yes, change doesn't come like that (absolutely Nigerian mentality< and this is why most Nigerian leaders get in and do what they do best "pepper soup"). Nobody is willing to give the future a chance.

My man, you have a point or two, but keep in mind that change must start from somewhere.

FYI: Obama has made it clear many times that the change will not happen in Feb 2009; it takes time, but someone must initiate the starting point.
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by Ibime(m): 9:04pm On May 08, 2008
If she would accept, then he should definitely appoint her as running mate so that it can bring the democratic party together.
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by McKren(m): 9:15pm On May 08, 2008
I dont see Obama choosing Hillary as VP
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by naijaway(m): 9:15pm On May 08, 2008
big1 said my views on his second post; absolutely right .
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by SeanT21(f): 9:33pm On May 08, 2008
Hillary said that she would love to run with obama.
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 10:15pm On May 08, 2008
Obama plans to declare victory on May 20

Not long after the polls close in the May 20 Kentucky and Oregon primaries, Barack Obama plans to declare victory in his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination.

And, until at least May 31 and perhaps longer, Hillary Clinton's campaign plans to dispute it.

It's a train wreck waiting to happen, with one candidate claiming to be the nominee while the other vigorously denies it, all predicated on an argument over what exactly constitutes the finish line of the primary race.

The Obama campaign agrees with the Democratic National Committee, which pegs a winning majority at 2,025 pledged delegates and superdelegates--a figure that excludes the penalized Florida and Michigan delegations. The Clinton campaign, on the other hand, insists the winner will need 2,209 to cinch the nomination--a tally that includes Florida and Michigan.

"We don't accept 2,025. It is not the real number because that does not include Florida and Michigan," said Howard Wolfson, one of Clinton's two chief strategists. "It's a phony number."

Wolfson said they intend to contest the DNC's 2,025 number "every day," as well as any declaration of victory made by Obama based upon that number, because it does not include Florida and Michigan.

In January, Clinton won both states by wide margins when Obama did not actively contest them. The two states were stripped of their delegates for holding early primaries not sanctioned by the Democratic National Committee.

Obama will not reach the 2,025 magic number on May 20. Rather, on that date he is all but certain to hit a different threshold--1,627 pledged delegates, which would constitute a winning majority among the 3,253 total pledged delegates if Florida and Michigan are not included.

"On May 20 we're going to declare victory," said an Obama senior advisor who asked that his name be withheld to speak candidly, adding that after those contests they will be "the ones with the most pledged delegates and the most popular votes."

While the nature of that declaration of victory is "still developing," in the advisor's words, the Obama campaign contends that the winner of a majority of pledged delegates should be the party nominee.

"Senator Obama, our campaign and our supporters believe pledged delegates is the most legitimate metric for determining how this race has unfolded," wrote Obama campaign manager David Plouffe Wednesday in a memo to superdelegates. "It is simply the ratification of the DNC rules - your rules - which we built this campaign and our strategy around."

But the Clinton campaign's insistence on counting Florida and Michigan would alter not only the overall delegate math, but the pledged delegate math as well. Because if the two states are included in the count, the total number of pledged delegates would rise from 3,253 to 3,566--which means the magic number for a majority rises to 1,784, not 1,627 as the Obama campaign asserts.

By hewing to that interpretation, the Clinton campaign would thus be able to raise doubts about a May 20 declaration of victory by Obama.

Since the earliest possible resolution of the Florida/Michigan dispute is May 31, when the DNC Rules and Bylaws Committee will meet in Washington to address petitions from Michigan and Florida DNC members, the 11-day period between the May 20 primaries and the RBC meeting could produce a chaotic stretch where Obama claims to be the party nominee while Clinton argues otherwise.

Already, the two campaigns are gearing up for the battle.

"With the Clinton path to the nomination getting even narrower, we expect new and wildly creative scenarios to emerge in the coming days," wrote Plouffe in his memo. "While those scenarios may be entertaining, they are not legitimate and will not be considered legitimate by this campaign or its millions of supporters, volunteers, and donors."

"You can declare mission accomplished but that doesn't mean that the mission has actually been accomplished," Wolfson said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080508/pl_politico/10184
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by subice(m): 10:21pm On May 08, 2008
The answer to that would be a big no. On the surface, it would actually be a great and probably unstoppable ticket. However, I doubt it would be workable in the White House. Hillary Clinton is just too dogged and ambitious to be a number two. She still allows sentiment to override objectivity and could well plot Obama's downfall. I think there are safer and effective options for Obama such as Jonathan Edwards.
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by Ndipe(m): 10:39pm On May 08, 2008
Of course not!
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 3:12pm On May 09, 2008
Eventhough it is crystal clear to all that Obama is a better man; he has a greater chance to bring things together and get United States back on track, but of course, there are still some ignoramus entities out there that know this fact but will never vote for a blackman- just because-
This is why Obama must be extremely systematic in selecting his running mate. Believe it or not, his running mate will be the "Master Key" to the white house.

If his running mate happens to be weak, Mr.Obama could just kiss his chance of being the president of United States good bye.

Personally, I still feel that Hillary Clinton is a better running mate. She has the stamina and unique political skill that would get the job down in November.
The combination of her supporters, connections and magnificent drive coupled with Obama's mighty movement will be deadly and unstopable.

This strategy would simultaneously bring the democratic party back together effectively and bury the republican party for many years to come.
Trust me, McCain wouldn't have a chance (with the amalgamating of Obama and Hillary); probably he would voluntarily drop-out by the end of September when the enormous oppositional intelligence heats up and becomes unbearable.
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by McKren(m): 4:11pm On May 09, 2008
Obama will pick Governor Kathleen Sibelius 3 times before picking Hillary

What skill will Hillary bring to the table other than name recognition.

Obama is accused of not having experience in running any city or organisation or business,  Hillary does not either, in fact the only organisation they have both run which is their various campaigns Obama has done better

Obama is accused of not having National Security experience, Hillary does not either,  She has not served in the Military ,  except for the immaginary dodging of snipper fire in Bosnia

Talk about experience politically, she is not anymore experienced than Obama, except may be for the shamelessness to be the first to address the state of the black union and yet be the first to appear on Fox news and try to play the race card against Obama.

So what does she have to offer
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 4:31pm On May 09, 2008
My man, you have a solid point and I'm with you all the way; but unfortunately Americans do not like the truth, they are easily brainwashed and will flipflop with very little hesitation.
Nobody cares about the past (the past represents pure politics). It's now time for them to utilize each other's skill to accomplish this ultimate goal.

Obama doesn't have enough time for an unknown running mate to introduce herself or himself; we need a ready made candidate and Hillary Clinton matches this person.
Hillary doesn't need any introduction; Americans already know what she is capable of doing, they know her good side and the bad side.
The last thing Obama needs is something crazy and negative coming out that is against his running mate (Governor Kathleen Sibelius), this will definitely change the sound of the music and rebounding will be absolutely impossible.

I can guarantee you that at this point, there is nothing anyone could say about Hillary that will negatively affect the decision of the voters.

Yes, Hillary is crazy, selfish, desperate and many many more; but sometimes, it is beneficial to have a partner that is dirty and tough. This bad habit could be advantageous and turn into a priceless asset.

I think Obama might fail if he doesn't pick Hillary!
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 4:56pm On May 09, 2008
Furthermore, selecting someone else would only further empower the division that is currently lingering in democratic party. I think the limited time that is available should be intelligently used to pull the party together and focus on getting the big cake.
And this could be accomplished effectively and efficiently only if Hillary is picked as his running mate

Again, Obama might fail if he doesn't pick Hillary "mark it down"
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by shostar: 5:50pm On May 09, 2008
Women in politics could be very interesting? try and watch commander in chief. she may perform wonders.
And mind u the people in politics make it a deadly game. she could be a deadly vice. I will never support that.
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by McKren(m): 8:19pm On May 09, 2008
BigB 1

I will be shocked to see Obama pick Hillary.

Obama has told democrats early in this race that if they want to win they should not be afraid of loosing - I don't think Obama is afraid to stand on anything he believe's in no matter the consequence , check it out,
From his stance on Iraq war 2002, to his stance on Pakistan, to his stance on talking to leaders America don't like, to Rev Wright to Gas tax holiday.

Acting out of conviction for what he believe's in has been the hallmark of his campaign, you can not tell Americans that you are running to change Washington and somehow your number 2 who happens to be someone who should fill in on your behalf in your absence is the same person you have painted a symbol of the old washington politics you are trying to change.

The message will simply not add up.

Finally a Hillary VP will mean Obama will spend more time containing Hillary and Bill Clinton trying to oust him than solving any problems he has promised.

OBAMA IS NOT THAT NAIVE. HE IS BETTER FAILING WHILE DOING WHAT HE BELIEVE'S IN THAN BEING AFRAID OF FAILURE AND YET FAIL AND WORST OF ALL NOT DO WHAT HE BELEIEVE'S IN.

Obama - Hillary ticket is a nightmare ticket
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by ojimboIV: 8:46pm On May 09, 2008
the dynamics of the race has set the tone that billary cannot be on the same ticket as obama. there are very massive odds against the proposed 'dream ticket'. the one and most obvious i'd point out here is the mrs clinton's ego. it could result in the doom of the 'fairy tale' candidacy of obama. to put this in context, obama would ask rush, who recently endorsed him anyway, to be his running mate before sen. clinton. and we all know what the answer is. not this time!!!!
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by TheSly: 9:53pm On May 09, 2008
Obama Unlikely to Pick Clinton as Running Mate, Kennedy Says

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama isn't likely to pick rival Hillary Clinton as a running mate, according to one of his most prominent supporters.

``I don't think it's possible,'' Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy said in an interview on Bloomberg Television's ``Political Capital With Al Hunt,'' airing this weekend.

Kennedy, 76, without naming names, said Obama should pick someone who ``is in tune with his appeal for the nobler aspirations of the American people.''

``If we had real leadership -- as we do with Barack Obama -- in the No. 2 spot as well, it'd be enormously helpful,'' Kennedy said.

A vice presidential candidate with national security credentials would be ``useful'' though not necessary because Obama, an Illinois senator, has a good understanding of foreign policy, Kennedy said. ``I think he's been eloquent; I think he's been incisive; and I think he's been right,'' he said.

Kennedy, chairman of the Senate committee that oversees health, education and labor, criticized presumptive Republican nominee John McCain's health-care plan. The proposal, which includes a tax credit and federal assistance to states, doesn't do enough to fix the U.S. system, he said.

Health-Care Costs

Kennedy said the McCain plan wouldn't do enough to reduce costs and expand coverage. He also said McCain failed to plan for the use of new technologies and preventive care.

``It's a marvelous plan for the insurance industry,'' Kennedy said. ``They just love it.''

Obama, 46, has built a virtually insurmountable lead over Clinton, 60, a New York senator. Earlier this week, Obama solidified his advantage by winning North Carolina's primary by 14 percentage points.

He has 1,854 delegates to the August nominating convention and Clinton has 1,697, according to an unofficial Associated Press tally. He needs 2,025 to win.

The prolonged battle between Obama and Clinton probably won't hurt the Democratic Party, Kennedy said. ``It's basically the divisions in terms of race and gender, and these involve people's emotions deeply,'' he said. ``Ultimately, the party is going to come together because they are so thirsty for victory.''

Traditional Democrats

Clinton has argued that she is better at bringing out traditional Democrats such as non-college-educated white voters. Her appeal has much to do with the history that she and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, have with voters, Kennedy said.

``Many of those groups have great confidence in the Clinton brand,'' he said. ``They're more familiar with her.''

Obama will win over voters as they become more familiar with his message, Kennedy said. Catholics, for instance, should see that Obama is talking about the ``social gospels'' on issues such as poverty, he said. ``He'll do very well,'' Kennedy said.

On the economy, Kennedy said one of the most pressing issues for Americans right now is the need for a new economic stimulus package. The government should do more with food stamps, assistance to states for health care and community grants, he said.

Supplemental Funding

A vehicle for passing a second package might be the supplemental funding measure for Iraq, Kennedy said. ``This ought to be a part of that whole program,'' he said.

House Democrats omitted economic stimulus from a proposed supplemental spending bill because President George W. Bush threatened to veto any measure that is too expensive.

The Senate could add stimulus provisions when it debates the legislation later this month, though Republicans probably would oppose any extra spending linked to the war funds measure.

``The time is now'' for action on economic stimulus, Kennedy said. ``The need is great now.''

Clinton and Obama have both made the faltering economy a central theme in their race. Kennedy's January endorsement of Obama was a blow to Clinton and her husband.

Asked if he had spoken with Bill Clinton since that endorsement, Kennedy said he had talked with Hillary Clinton ``on a number of occasions.'' As for the former president: ``I haven't had that opportunity.''
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by TheSly: 10:01pm On May 09, 2008
Obama picks up 9 spanking new superdelegates, union endorsement

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama all but erased Hillary Rodham Clinton's once-imposing lead among national convention superdelegates on Friday and won fresh labor backing as elements of the Democratic Party began coalescing around the Illinois senator for the fall campaign.

Obama picked up the backing of nine superdelegates, including Rep. Donald Payne of New Jersey, a member of the Congressional Black Caucus who had been a Clinton supporter.

In addition, the American Federation of Government Employees announced its support for Obama. The union claims about 600,000 members who work in the federal and Washington, D.C., governments.

Obama, who won a convincing victory in the North Carolina primary and lost Indiana narrowly on Tuesday, has been steadily gaining strength in the days since.

Clinton also gained a superdelegate.

The developments left the former first lady with 271.5 [/b]superdelegates, to [b]271 for Obama. Little more than four months ago, on the eve of the primary season, she held a lead of 169-63.

Pls someone should tell this las named hillary that the game is OVER!!! cool
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by BigB11(m): 10:05pm On May 09, 2008
McKren:

Again you have a point and I clearly see where you're coming from; everything you've stated sounds very interesting and good, but only on the paper. The reality is, Americans are very gullible and Obama is still a blackman at the end of the day.

If Acting out of conviction for what we believe is the answer Al Gore would have been the president today. My man, do not let us forget that politician will always be politician; and infact Obama also happens to be a politician, a very good one, who is indirectly ready to do anything to win this presidential election.
We are not trying to elect Pope; please do not let us get carried away with the word "conviction". There is no such thing in politics, especially when a blackman is running for the biggest office in united States.

I don't care what his stance represents, at the end of the day, the dude (Obama) wants to win. And I'm sure that he's not foolish not to pick Hillary.

you can not tell Americans that you are running to change Washington and somehow your number 2 who happens to be someone who should fill in on your behalf in your absence is the same person you have painted a symbol of the old washington politics you are trying to change.

That was the slogan for the primary election; the real election is a different ball game and i'm sure a new slogan will be developed very soon.
The same Romney that stated that McCain represents an expired politician, is now calling  McCain the best man to be the next president of United States. I will not be surprised if Romney is picked as McCain's running mate.
My man, do not be fooled, it is all politics and it takes place on a regular at our various jobs.
(Politics is a dirty game and nice guys are always getting injured)

Finally a Hillary VP will mean Obama will spend more time containing Hillary and Bill Clinton trying to oust him than solving any problems he has promised

Trust me, Bill Clinton would be absolutely out of the picture. The only time you will see this man at the white house would be during special lunching that requires family members or former presidents to be present.
Do not let us forget that Obama as the president has the upper hand at all time.
Re: Should Obama Pick Hillary Clinton As His Running Mate? by princeonx: 10:26pm On May 09, 2008
What a question?
so if you wake up from coma and them tell you say after being in politics for over 3 decades, say Hilary go be running mate to Obama of just 3 years ago or so! you go believe?

(1) (Reply)

Julius Berger Suspends Operations In The Niger Delta / #lightupnigeria: Join The Cause / 8 Days To Death: Otegbeye Lamented Over Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.