Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,106 members, 7,890,676 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:05 PM

Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? (24450 Views)

Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? / I Made My Husband Impotent For Taking A Second Wife - Woman Confesses In Delta / Married As A Second Wife For Child-Bearing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by osisi5: 7:17pm On Aug 29, 2007
In Nigeria akata means a different thing than it means to us Nigerians in the US.
Here akata means African Americans.

all you men and ikebe craze.
may God helep una
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:41pm On Aug 29, 2007
Akata is a term used to describe Nigerians living abroad, ne?

are you serious with this question? Why would I call her an akata if that were the definition when I myself have been in the states for over 17 years?

it means black american/hood rat grin
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by tnaidaR(f): 10:56pm On Aug 29, 2007
Rofl grin
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by dakmanzero(m): 11:32pm On Aug 29, 2007
@toh

Question wasnt really meant to be answered. It is true that Akata = janded/yankee-rised nigerian smiley

it seems u guys have a different take on the word, tho, tongue
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by osisi5: 12:07am On Aug 30, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Thank you o.
Cant believe some non nigerian akata tart is running her mouth on who should be on a NIGERIAN forum.
What's wrong? Is BET.com/blackplanet.com down or something? Berra comot from my face.
Damned hypocrite. It's ok for your "weakling" husband to seek another woman while you're on your death bed but women should just stare like idiots right? I hope you truly are married and not just saying all that garbage just to get a nigerian dude here because i wouldnt put it past your kind.

who taught her this "virtuous" word self that she's been repeating like a broken record? Now "word of the day" in the ghetto? shio.

P.S. Amen cheesy

I almost fell off my chair reading this one o.
TOH you are hilarious.
The woman said she was ill and you say she was on her death bed.
I no go die
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by spoilt(f): 12:36am On Aug 30, 2007
i just clocked in. what did i miss? tongue
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:22pm On Aug 30, 2007
Maybe in your village it means that, darkman

Here, the typical Nigerian parent is usually like "ma se bi awon akata oshi yen o" to their kids here meaning dont act like those damn akata people, so wouldnt that mean they are saying

dont act like those akata people, you "akata person" if indeed your definition were right? Does that even make sense?
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by Tanna(f): 12:37am On Aug 31, 2007
I NEVER PRAYED that women would not be leaders.

I said "I HOPE THE closed minded ones who belittle people here DO NOT become leaders in your country." , But you now provide evidence of your illiteracy and comprehension deficits because my posts are frequently being misquoted, followed by a dozen passionate remarks by people eager to jump on the bandwagon, Exactly why I hope SOME WOMEN HERE should never be leaders in your country.

Save your REBUKES for the devil. I simply made a comment, not a prayer, and not a curse. You'd go further in life if you weren't so religious and superstitious.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by Tanna(f): 12:47am On Aug 31, 2007
In America, children often have a nanny, and they do not "SUFFER". Why would a second wife who loves the husband, abuse HIS CHILDREN and make them suffer?

I wouldn't abuse anyone else's kids or treat them wrong - and I am pretty sure that there are other women out there who wouldn't either. SO your argument that implies Polygamous relationships are destined to make the kids suffer at the hands of the other wife is wrong.

But then again, maybe you know how EVIL Nigerian women are, and that's why YOu are so adamant that the children will suffer so badly. Hmmmm.

Nigerian Men you should be praying for your women (and vice-versa)

ALSO, IGNORANCE has you believing that because I am an African-American that I am ghetto. You don't know me, and not one thing I have said has indicated a "ghetto" mentality.

My hubby, kids, and I are well educated and thoroughly enjoy our comfortable Middle-Class Life in these beautiful suburbs. Don't hate, Duplicate! wink
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by soulpatrol(f): 1:49am On Aug 31, 2007
lmao grin its funny how some people's brains are wired. lawd save us. womenfolk are trying to move forward and some are trying to pull us back.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by spoilt(f): 1:54am On Aug 31, 2007
Tanna:

I NEVER PRAYED that women would not be leaders.

I said "I HOPE THE closed minded ones who belittle people here DO NOT become leaders in your country." , But you now provide evidence of your illiteracy and comprehension deficits because my posts are frequently being misquoted, followed by a dozen passionate remarks by people eager to jump on the bandwagon, Exactly why I hope SOME WOMEN HERE should never be leaders in your country.

Save your REBUKES for the devil. I simply made a comment, not a prayer, and not a curse. You'd go further in life if you weren't so religious and superstitious.

No one misquoted you. You made it clear you want to share your husband.  grin . that part we all understand we are still trying to understand. .  grin grin grin
As to the leadership comment, you know absolutely nothing about nairaland women so why worry your pretty head about them becoming leaders? For goodness sake worry about your own  country's Leadership first. Obviously the women you are refering to as close minded are those who are extremely horrified that you want to share your God given husband. If that's your definition of open minded i guess you are alone on that one.

Its shocking that its the so called people who are supposed to be all westernized and about 200 years ahead of us in civilization that are trying to regress our progress and drag us back to the stone age.
religious and superstitious? Whatever! quit telling me how far to take my religion. You said to save the rebukes for the devil. erm er, i did!  grin I was taught that he doesnt have horns and a long 2 pronged fork. he speaks and acts through people who dont wish  me and mine progress or leadership! .  You portray yourself as a religious pious woman but your twisted interpretation of the sanctity of marriage has me in a daze. As for that dumb illiteracy comment of yours, i'll just let that go. It will be a crying shame if after all your own education you still think it will take 2 or 3 of you to make a man happy.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by osisi5: 2:44am On Aug 31, 2007
Chei.
This people are wierder than I had imagined. shocked shocked shocked
I wonder what the "Mr wonderful" is waiting for.
all he needs is call the women housekeepers and the jamboree is on.

The Lord rebuke you Tanna
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:45am On Aug 31, 2007
Tanna:

In America, children often have a nanny, and they do not "SUFFER". Why would a second wife who loves the husband, abuse HIS CHILDREN and make them suffer?

I wouldn't abuse anyone else's kids or treat them wrong - and I am pretty sure that there are other women out there who wouldn't either.

You are so naive, it's embarrassing.  embarassed.  Look up the word "JEALOUSY/ENVY" please! Btw mind your business in regards to the poltics of our country. Thank you. Deal with that monkey you voted into White House instead. ok? e se.

Anyway spoilt, I totally agree with you.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by ClimieNH89: 3:29pm On Aug 31, 2007
@ Tanna

I quite get your point in wanting a companion for your husband when you couldn't make it yourself, but I have just a question for you.

Once you were OK, would you still have wanted this woman around?

I understand when u are in your sick bed, you feel useless, but of what use is she when u regain ur strength? Don't you think that by the time you get better, you might as well become the "third one"?

Sometimes it's not a matter of being selfless and caring for our loved ones. Think about the consequences of your action. Don't concentrate on the present alone. The future is what matters most of the time.

Cheers!
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:49pm On Aug 31, 2007
lol probably would have paid her for her services and pack her stuff out
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by ClimieNH89: 4:16pm On Aug 31, 2007
TOH, Spoilt and Osisi

I must say you guys have really exaggerated in your attacks against Tanna. She just happens to love her man and children more than herself and if we look it from a different point of view it's not that bad.

I have no problem with the way she decides to handle her marriage life but she must understand that, just because she feels like that doesn't mean the man also do. If men are really polygamous in nature, i don't see a reason why he would let go of the substitute after his wife has got better. But given that from what she has said, her husband is nice and hard working, this mentality of hers won't in anyway bring harm to her.

Nairaland ladies, before we condemn other people's opinion we must also consider the context from which she is coming from. In her case for example, the way she thinks is absolutely understandable. I am sure if she had lived else where she wouldn't be so confident about her thoughts.

In America, polygamy is illegal. She has never got in contact with any family of such nature so we have to bear it in mind that sometimes we always have a good perspective of what we don't know.

A woman living in Nigeria or Africa or in any Muslim country would definitely say no to polygamy.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:30pm On Aug 31, 2007
"climie", read back to the rubbish that she has said and maybe you'll say why we've responded the way we have.

It's one thing to be like "blah blah well I want my man to have someone over me",, whatever, na her own garbage but when she starts implying that the girls are sluts and all sort of chavinistic bullshit then adds stuff about poltics and Nigerian women you had better believe I will respond even if everyone else doesnt because frankly she's irrelevant to me and as a woman I find her views very naive.

Like I said before, na BIG LOVE episodes dey do am.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by osisi5: 6:02pm On Aug 31, 2007
I can understand tanna may have foolish fantasies of her man with other women but for heavens sake people ought to keep such sick fantasies to themselves.
One doesn't have to display frank stupidity on a public forum.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:03pm On Aug 31, 2007
Lmao osisi.

Swingers dey for NL grin
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by dakmanzero(m): 6:37pm On Aug 31, 2007
I really need to get some sleep

babyosisi said 'frank' stupidity

somehow my mind associated :

babyosisi = big ikebe

frank = chicken franks = papaosisi's, lipsrsealed em censorship is in order at this point, lipsrsealed

meeen. i really need sleep. 48 hours on coffee as fuel. but no sleep for me. no sireeeeeee. i need a walk
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by tnaidaR(f): 7:28pm On Aug 31, 2007
Tanna dear, you sure you've fully recovered? You might have to go back to the Doctors again.OK? embarassed

Climie, don't even cough here. How can a sane woman wish her husband to take a second wife because she's ill? And you'll live in the same house according to Tanna all in the name of "servicing" her husband? Even deranged people can't imagine that let alone say it out. angry

Even if you feel sorry for the man, and really wish he took a second wife you should never mention it to him or even people around you. That's the craziest thing I've ever heard a woman say. I mean, knowing who we are!!! Apart from wishing he took a second wife, who knows if the slowpoke wouldn't even be cheating? And you Tanna, thinking one extra wife will do a man(who has been offered another woman by HIS OWN WIFE) for two years is like passing a donkey through the eye of a needle. If the man is stupid enough and agrees to your crazy offer he would still cheat anyways 'cause he's been given the GREEN LIGHT by HIS OWN WIFE.

Where the hell do you people get all these crazy ideas?

I refuse to meet people like you in real life. You suck big time! Sorry! embarassed
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by ClimieNH89: 7:47pm On Aug 31, 2007
Ah, nor eat me raw o.

Being subjective in matters like this won't help. If not you'll keep condeming other's opinions.

Look at it from an objective point of view.

It's obvious una body dey burn una just at the thought of ur hubby having a mistress talkless of a second wife.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by omoge(f): 7:53pm On Aug 31, 2007
osisi lol grin

dakmanzero eh eh
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by tnaidaR(f): 7:57pm On Aug 31, 2007
ClimieNH89:

Look at it from an objective point of view.

It's obvious una body dey burn una just at the thought of your hubby having a mistress talkless of a second wife.

lmao. . being objective you said? Damn! Please be kind to tell me the object/goal of this matter? Thank you!

Our body go pain when we know a man has cheated and not when he's cheating(that won't repeat itself).

But, to think of offering my husband another woman is beyond comprehension. Body no go pain me because it has never crossed my mind until I met you and Tanna unfortunately. Mistress ko servicing ni. Rubbish!
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by debosky(m): 8:18pm On Aug 31, 2007
pray tell, what is objective about allowing another woman to shag your husband?

or isn't the objective of marriage is to cleave to each other and forsake ALL others?

madam objective should come and explain why a woman should gladly accept her man screwing another woman and sharing his heart with her as well.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by tnaidaR(f): 8:25pm On Aug 31, 2007
Debo, leave that matter. How u deh jare? cheesy
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by ClimieNH89: 11:35pm On Aug 31, 2007
Na wa o.

Once you try to understand a point of view that is different from that of the mass you become and accomplice.

I have in no way stated that having a second wife is good nor did I ask any of you to offer your husband one.

What I am saying and still say is that Tanna has developed that thought because she doesn't live in a polygamous society nor has she come in contact with someone from one.

As I have said If Tanna should have lived somewhere different like Africa or an Islamic country definitely that idea of sharing her man with someone else wouldn't cross her mind.

She is someone naive and thinks that just because she would never hurt, she doesn't understand why another woman would hurt her and her children. This is enough reason for you ladies to know where she is coming from. Instead of raining abuses on her and calling her psychotic, try and explain the situation to her, since you know what being from a polygamous family means.

This is being objective. Try to understand the reason behind someone's opinions before condemning it.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by spoilt(f): 1:02am On Sep 01, 2007
ClimieNH89:

TOH, Spoilt and Osisi

I must say you guys have really exaggerated in your attacks against Tanna.

polygamy is pretty drastic. Fighting it doesnt require mincing of words. I dont do personal attacks. Its nothing against her be rest assured.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by MP007(m): 3:38am On Sep 01, 2007
1 , if his region supports it

2, depends on the environment, company and friends, alaji alahi thang

3. finds the first wife unattractive no more

4 want more kids, tired of having just only girls or boys

5. sex freak
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by lovemajek(f): 8:20am On Sep 01, 2007
good stuff is not for one person you know.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by tnaidaR(f): 10:49am On Sep 01, 2007
Climie, please do me a favor and save your explanations. I'm not good enough for them.
Re: Why Would A Man Go For A Second Wife? by lovemajek(f): 2:12pm On Sep 01, 2007
why not, alot of pple loves your baby face.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Missing 3-year Old Child / 10 Things Parents Should Moderate In Their Children In Nigeria / 43-Year-Old Man Beats His Daughter To Death In Osun Over Persistent Crying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.