Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,366 members, 7,920,385 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 05:54 AM

Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (17351 Views)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 12:50am On Jun 21, 2013
it can be prevented if people get themselves tested and by raising awareness.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 12:54am On Jun 21, 2013
#SickleCell is the most common genetic disorder, the good thing is done it can be prevented.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 12:55am On Jun 21, 2013
It's amazing how much we can do if we put our minds,hearts,souls and efforts together. Advocate for Sickle cell anaemia anywhere you are.

2 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 1:01am On Jun 21, 2013
Sickle cell is not contagious!!!! It is a genetic blood condition that can affect anyone. Pls get tested and save a life. It's important.
WSCD2013#
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 1:06am On Jun 21, 2013
#WSCD2013
Thanks to all the mothers who stay up all day n night to take care of us! We love u!!

4 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Rajosh(m): 1:06am On Jun 21, 2013
Bay1970: Being AS and having AS wife/husband is not end of the world, it gives you only 25% of having SS(sickle cell), 25% of AA and 50% of AS. Can it be avoided if posible? yes, but education is only the answer. If you love your AS boy/girl friend, do not let AS stop you from having someone you really love as a life partner; you might end up having a bitch with AA and in hell for the rest of your life. If you are AS with AS wife/husband, please remember to do CVS on every pregency. CVS will detect SC at 12 wks 100%.
and after detecting what next,abort the baby?
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 1:20am On Jun 21, 2013
crisycent: I lost a friend to sickle cell 3 years ago. Heard there is a cure for it now; bone marrow transplant. To my man Oghenekaro Ifoni a.k.a Niro Brown R.I.P
Before you can do a bone marrow transplant, you have got to get a match and S/he must be A WILLING DONOR.
Moreover is like a one in every 100,000 persons before you get a match. We are not even talking about the cost implications.

2 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by smudge2079(m): 1:28am On Jun 21, 2013
Am a carrier and i will never marry a carrier lyk myself all in d name of luv #WSCD2013 lets make d world a betta place for d unborn generation. spread d news

4 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Adeiyermy: 1:40am On Jun 21, 2013
Since have been on nairaland. I have never comment on a topic. Bt this topic touches my heart. Am a sickle cell patient. I have been struggling for my life for the past 17 years. Sometimes i wished i could just die and maybe if i have the chance i should come back but not with sickle cell anemia again. But one thing am sure about in this world is that everytin have been predestined to happen. I can never make the mistake of marrying someone our genotype dont match. When talkin about love. If truely couples with genotype that doesnt match love demselves, Dey wont marry each other or if dey do, they should go for adoption. If they give birth to an scd child and eventually they were not able to take care of the innocent child. It will come to a day when the child will say "when you know you will not be able to take care of me y did you bring me to this world". I have never said this to my parents because i understand what the world is all about. And as for other sickle cell patients like me. I will just tell you to be thankful to God. Had it been you had cancer or HIV what will you do to God?? Everybody in this world have his/her own problem. So pls lets stop the pro creation of sickle cell children and those of us that already have it lets understand that Life Worth Living and try our best to convince ourselfs that we can be normal like every other human being BUT i will be the happiest boy on earth if only i can survive one day without having any pain. STILL, I THANK GOD FOR MY LIFE

17 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Ashabie(f): 2:23am On Jun 21, 2013
So touching! My step sister is a carrier,she almost render Daddy penniless,I could remember one of her crises,when she started eating 'Red sand' the Doctor can not find any vein in her body,they had to shave her hair before they can transfuse the blood. To God be the Glory now,she had twins though,through operation and the hubby flew thinking she can't survive with the kids,but Alhamdullilah,since she had her babies,no more crises. The pretty girls will be 4years by December,and she will be 35 by Dec 13.so when there is life there is hope.please say no to AS + AS,it really a deadly game if only u no the pain it causes them as a carrier.

6 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Spirit1(m): 3:24am On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013:
honey,
I believe you are female. Right?
As a mother, how will you feel knowing that you could have saved your child from Pains, traumas and stigma?
If you are AS and your intended partner is AS, please I will advice you both to seek for love elsewhere. Using 'Love' as a reason to risk having a SS child is nothing but SELFISHNESS. Assuming your intended partner has HIV/AIDS would you still hav asked this question?
If you must marry another AS, please take the option of adopting a baby. There are so many babiees out there who needs your love and care.

STIGMA?? What stigma are you talking about
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by SlyIg(f): 4:34am On Jun 21, 2013
Spirit1:

the stigma of a flower! Idiott... Don't heed to advice.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by greatgod2012(f): 6:13am On Jun 21, 2013
@op, thanks a lot, this is an educative as well as a very sensitive topic that should not be joked with at all.
Recently, we took all our kids out for genotype and blood group test, and it came out that my first child is an AS by genotype(im also an AS) and since then we have been telling him that he cant hang out with an AS girl for serious relationship that may likely lead to marriage, even though the boy is just less than 8 years old, but the orientation and education has been running in his ears.
May God help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 6:31am On Jun 21, 2013
Abali2013:
Before you can do a bone marrow transplant, you have got to get a match and S/he must be A WILLING DONOR.
Moreover is like a one in every 100,000 persons before you get a match. We are not even talking about the cost implications.
Oga only once a year you come out to really help with all you know. Do you think that is fair enough, ignorant sufferers should probably die in pain or hang on until June 19 when you come out to say something?

What have you done in the past year to alleviate crisis? Personally, I have become a crusader of cellod-s, taking the message to as far as UK and trying to get it registered in Kenya and Ghana.

Instead of telling people not to get married, why not let them get married to whoever they choose provided they do not forget to put their child on cellod-s.

I have seen so many patients become healthy, some even going as far as claiming they changed from ss to aa. I used to be the very worst case of sickle cell, mine is so bad that even after becoming healthy, I still developed avascular necrosis.

You mostly get infected with malaria when you sleep but is that to say we shouldn't sleep?...hell no! We sleep knowing fully well that worse case scenario will see us having anti malaria drug and in time we will be as good as new. Let's match together against this monster and make it an ordinary illness like headache.

I may be wrong, you might have done something to impact sufferers during the year but it pains me when I see the people really pushing the gospel of cellod-s are business people who simply want to make their money and have no true commitment to their patients.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by queenbinteo: 6:53am On Jun 21, 2013
blink182: Oga only once a year you come out to really help with all you know. Do you think that is fair enough, ignorant sufferers should probably die in pain or hang on until June 19 when you come out to say something?

What have you done in the past year to alleviate crisis? Personally, I have become a crusader of cellod-s, taking the message to as far as UK and trying to get it registered in Kenya and Ghana.

Instead of telling people not to get married, why not let them get married to whoever they choose provided they do not forget to put their child on cellod-s.

I have seen so many patients become healthy, some even going as far as claiming they changed from ss to aa. I used to be the very worst case of sickle cell, mine is so bad that even after becoming healthy, I still developed avascular necrosis.

You mostly get infected with malaria when you sleep but is that to say we shouldn't sleep?...hell no! We sleep knowing fully well that worse case scenario will see us having anti malaria drug and in time we will be as good as new. Let's match together against this monster and make it an ordinary illness like headache.

I may be wrong, you might have done something to impact sufferers during the year but it pains me when I see the people really pushing the gospel of cellod-s are business people who simply want to make their money and have no true commitment to their patients.
Oga biko,maybe you have not been a regular caller here cos this OP has been regular with post on SCD. We have a group on fb(he is the group admin) n you join if ure interested. 'Naija Sickle Cell Warrior' is the group name.join and ask questions. Thanks @ Abali - I tink the heading should be about the reason for the 100million tweets,dats #WSCD2013 cos most peeps might not really be aware of June 19. We rock Abali

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Muh(m): 7:05am On Jun 21, 2013
Please advise, can scd patience continue to take it malaria medicine with cellod-s together.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by magicfrogg: 7:12am On Jun 21, 2013
This is a nice tread and special thanks to the moderator for making it a front page. Have been living with sickle cell anemia for the past 27 years, My last crises was in 2003 when i went on a 3 day coma and that was all. I can do all things that anyone can do without you knowing that Am one, You can only get to know or guess with the color of my eyes(Greenish)

A secret of my life is base on a single verse of the bible (Psalm 118:17) Key to it today and You have nothing to worry about.

God bless us all

3 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by queenbinteo: 7:15am On Jun 21, 2013
Spirit1:

Yes bros,stigma.we are the sufferers and we kno what we go tru in the hand of fellow countrymen/women. Being called sickler is one of the stigmatizatn. Then pple don't want to associate with someone who could die any momemt. But some of us av survived beyond the expectation of pple who know us. Living with pain on a daily basis is a stigma on its only. N then some of us get attitude from hospital workers as if we fake our pain. We get empathy frm workers in haematology dept of college hospital n dats cos they av direct contact with our cases. And some just pity us. We can't afford to self pity or being pity. We are warriors n survivors.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 7:21am On Jun 21, 2013
blink182: Oga only once a year you come out to really help with all you know. Do you think that is fair enough, ignorant sufferers should probably die in pain or hang on until June 19 when you come out to say something?

Cellod-s is an anti-sickling agent. It can't change someone's genotype from SS to AA. And I don't like the blowing your trumpet part.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 7:25am On Jun 21, 2013

Blink my brother Warrior, I have been trying to reach out to people the little way I can. Yes, I have not been a Crusader for Cellod-s because I don't want anybody mis-understanding my Campaign for awareness. I am not here to solicit for fund, but to create awareness and educate people the little I can.
In person and privately I have given sufferers advice about Cellod-s. Also Blink, like Binte said we have NAIJA SICKLE CELL WARRIORS on facebook. I expected you to have come on board and do your bid.
Moreover, you know how difficult it is to get post to the front page. I decided to use topics I have created on SCD as my signature.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 7:29am On Jun 21, 2013
queen binte o:
Oga biko,maybe you have not been a regular caller here cos this OP has been regular with post on SCD. We have a group on fb(he is the group admin) n you join if ure interested. 'Naija Sickle Cell Warrior' is the group name.join and ask questions. Thanks @ Abali - I tink the heading should be about the reason for the 100million tweets,dats #WSCD2013 cos most peeps might not really be aware of June 19. We rock Abali
I did a little bit of brain work to come out with a catchy Title to see if the MOD's of the Health section can take it to the Front page. I created about three topics on SCD, and this one was selected.
I will keep posting tweets about SCD, every now and then to help keep the thread alive.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by queenbinteo: 7:33am On Jun 21, 2013
Yes we av a group on fb,Naija Sickle Cell Warriors. We only av passive n dormant members. Pls join n let's make it active just lik 'Sickle Cell Warriors' by the americans. I av learnt a lot from their comments.

3 Likes

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 7:34am On Jun 21, 2013
Muh: Please advise, can scd patience continue to take it malaria medicine with cellod-s together.
Yes. You can continue to take you malaria medicine.
Please if you are on FB visit our page Naija Sickle Cell Warriors, your can always post questions there and I will help with answers the little I can.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by sayso: 7:37am On Jun 21, 2013
Those people coming together to have 10mins sex and plunging other people into agony and pain are wicked.Please avoid stup-id relationship and save people's agony.Get tested.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Picomon(m): 7:47am On Jun 21, 2013
To all the folks living with SC, may the Lord strengthen you and make things easier for you.

Bin an SC patient is not a thing I will wish for my enemy. I can't remember how many times have been rushed to the hospital at night just because of crisis. Even folks in the hospital now know me as their regular client just because of the way I do shout when going through that shit.

The shit ain't good. Bin in this situation can weigh one down.. Most times I'm always scared. Hoping one day heaven will shine the light on me.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Acecube(m): 7:51am On Jun 21, 2013
To all the AS and SS may God see you through to all those in relationships, get to know you partner's genotype before thinking of walking down the aisle. With that we help to create a sickle cell free generation and i know that this day carriers will be glad that others are enlightened by the little they can say about it.
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 7:57am On Jun 21, 2013
no punt of love for man or woman should make a person put an innocent child thru' the pains of Sickle cell anaemia. Not right.
WSCD2013#
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Nobody: 7:57am On Jun 21, 2013
My heart goes out to all those living with SCD. After losing my cousin Richard on xmas day 2012 after his 30th birthday, I have come to the realization that we must all put our hands on deck to create the necessary awareness about this disease.

1 Like

Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 8:10am On Jun 21, 2013
Sickle cell is not a joke. And silence over the matter is not an option. We MUST continue to promote awareness.
#WSCD2013
Re: Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. by Abali2013: 8:20am On Jun 21, 2013
Today is #WorldSickleCellDay . Did you know that every year 150,000 babies are born with this disorder in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? / Man Who Impregnated A Mad Woman In Katsina, Detained By Police / Akin Abayomi Tests Positive For COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.