Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,142 members, 7,907,129 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 01:24 AM

Paying Taxes - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Paying Taxes (3713 Views)

Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos / FG Earns N980bn From Taxes In Three Months / Paying Taxes In Nigeria, Can It Improve The Economy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paying Taxes by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 20, 2008
Normally I would take the "People should pay taxes" line, hoever today, am feeling a bit blue and reflective. Its the civic duty of citizens to pay their taxes, but we really live in a dysfunctional society where 45% of the taxable adults are unemployed so they cannot afford to pay taxes even if they want to.
If people pay thier taxes regularly and painfully, they would demand more accountability from thier elected officials. I pay my taxes but I take ahave a funny view with paying my tithes, I feel tithes are meant to be used for the futhering of th work of God hich involves caring for the sick and poor, just like tax and not mismanaged but some pastors, so instead of paying tithes directly, I contribute to some child's schoolfees and sponspor someone for vocational Training. Some people say its rong and i know, we are meant to abide by the law and not apply self help but some cases the law is so faulty, disregarded and not implemented
Re: Paying Taxes by anonimi: 3:51pm On May 20, 2008
aisha2:

I pay my taxes but I take ahave a funny view with paying my tithes, I feel tithes are meant to be used for the futhering of th work of God hich involves caring for the sick and poor, just like tax and not mismanaged but some pastors, so instead of paying tithes directly, I contribute to some child's schoolfees and sponspor someone for vocational Training. Some people say its rong and i know, we are meant to abide by the law and not apply self help but some cases the law is so faulty, disregarded and not implemented.

What you are doing in terms of giving to God and His work is what is required of you NOT tithes. Please read Deutereonomy 14: 22-29, all the chapters of Malachi and Hebrew 7.
I would like to also encourage you to read this thread, in case you have not yet seen it, all 10 pages of it prayerfully and checking the Bible references.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113108.0.html#bot
Re: Paying Taxes by Eziachi: 4:43pm On May 20, 2008
anonimi:

What you are doing in terms of giving to God and His work is what is required of you NOT tithes. Please read Deutereonomy 14: 22-29, all the chapters of Malachi and Hebrew 7.
I would like to also encourage you to read this thread, in case you have not yet seen it, all 10 pages of it prayerfully and checking the Bible references.

[/quote

Pleaseeee!! Paying of tithe has nothing to do with christianity. Tithe in the bible are one of those Mosaic law that ended with foundation of christianity by Jesus. The self made men of God today inisist on it to enrich themselves and prevent them having a job like everyone else but they forgot that Jesus himself was a carpenter and never depended on anyone giving him money or food.
That is why all Jesus's apostles all have personal vocations to look after themselves and their families and never used the work of God as an excuse to become a burden or a yoke to others. Apostle Peter was a fisher man, Luke was a physician, apostle Paul (Saul) was a lawyer but later become a tent maker to look after his ecomonic needs. In fact he gave the needy something. When was the last time your pastor gave you anything from his own pocket?

On the other hand, Jesus encouraged paying of civil tax to the constituted authority. Pay Ceasar what is due him and pay God what is due God. He was refering to paying of our civil. So if you still paying tithe to any crooked pastor or church you are wasting your money. That is quite different from making unsolicted voluntory contribution toward the work of God which accouts should be rendered too.
Re: Paying Taxes by texazzpete(m): 5:39pm On May 20, 2008
anonimi:

How DARE you try to mislead someone on the right path? Give your tithes to God, not to the church. and that means giving to the downtrodden, the poor, the sick and the homeless.
Re: Paying Taxes by anonimi: 1:59am On May 21, 2008
tpete,

I believe we are on the same page on the non-Biblical basis of tithes, you must have misunderstood my earlier response to aisha2. My giving is now more focused on charities and NGOs who work directly with poor people in places like my country, Nigeria.
Cheers.

aisha2:

I feel tithes are meant to be used for the futhering of th work of God hich involves caring for the sick and poor, just like tax and not mismanaged but some pastors, so instead of paying tithes directly, I contribute to some child's schoolfees and sponspor someone for vocational Training. Some people say its rong and i know, we are meant to abide by the law and not apply self help but some cases the law is so faulty, disregarded and not implemented

anonimi:

What you (aisha2) are doing in terms of giving to God and His work is what is required of you NOT tithes.
Re: Paying Taxes by mrjuwon: 6:16pm On May 22, 2008
did not even know we had a proper tax system in Nigeria. I would say pay it. The British Government rapes us in tax and NI but then the joy lies in being able to go to a well mowed park and play basketball and football freely with your young ones. Lies in being able to take the bus and tube,albeit always late but still available. The last joy is security. When I moved to UK first thing I noticed that they had extremely low fences which I thought extremely absurd that I could see what my neighbor was doing. Compared to the high fences you have to erect in Nigeria like prison. Oh well I guess if security can be provided again in Nigeria, then I am willing to pay tax.
Re: Paying Taxes by eudio(f): 2:02pm On May 26, 2008
yes

i would pay my tax, if the money would be used to provide basic amenities
Re: Paying Taxes by WhiteHalo(m): 11:10am On Jun 02, 2008
It seems this tax war don tay before we!
This was BBc news in 2005 exactly 3years ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4614121.stm

I wonder if either of the two people mentioned in this article have made headway. But one thing I agree with the FIRS director (if she's still the present Director) is that the Government would have to show good faith.

Even all those their sitting allowances of house reps and co, which is hundreds of thousands, I'm told (I stand corrected) maybe they for reduce the money. Shebi they said president salary na 10k one time?

If our monies are not spent in paying salaries of big big men,, if big big salaries are not available for them, maybe they'd leave the job for those who really want to be servants, civil servants, to come and take the job. How many of you watched Coming To America? We laughed when Eddie Murphy was playing all those tricks to get elected, and how they walk in and vote for things they don't know, and stuff and stuff, but if we looked at that being done to us, bloody tears would flow.

Let them take One Major Project, and I suggest the one that affects us all, NEPA. Let them turn things around, and see if things would not turn around from the people's end.

No, that's expecting too much.

Let the people see that you are making a real attempt, and they would follow you, and be willing to sacrifice.

At least, I know I am. I love my country.
Re: Paying Taxes by Arielle: 12:36am On Jun 03, 2008
Not only government workers pay tax. I worked in my last company, a South African owned company, for 11 years and a hefty amount was deducted monthly from my salary for PAYE. By the time I left the company last year, about N80,000 plus was deducted from source monthly from my salary as personal income tax. It sticks in my craw to realise that its probably all gone into some fat oaf's pocket. What the hell does the government do for me?

Tax paying is necessary for the development of any society. It keeps us accountable for what we earn. But I get really angry when I know that a whole lot of people are not paying a dime and I'm paying a small fortune. On top of which I have to provide my own water, electricity, disperse 'kola' on the roads like its going out of fashion.
Re: Paying Taxes by NaijaEcash(m): 4:27pm On Jun 06, 2008
It is true that only those compel to pay tax in Nigeria pay tax. The tax laws are not reflective of changes that has taken place in the country. For example, the reliefs.

Another issue is the lack of accountability of leaders. This single factor is responsible for so many dodging from paying taxes. There are also stories of shady deals by tax officers.

My conclusion is that each individual should form the practice of paying his or her tax. There are ways of legally reducing the amount of your income that is taxable. A good Accountant will be in a position to advice you on step to take.

While it may look safe to evade tax in Nigeria now, very soon it will become a skeleton in the cupboard that will cast shadow on the future of those who are guilty of not paying. Remember, computerised systems have a way of keeping record permanently.

It will not be a good report if in 20years time, someone publish on a blog that you cannot contest for a political position because you evaded tax in year 2008 cry That will be a bad news. So start learning to do the right thing now. When Nigeria gets better and accontability is entrenched, then you won't need to struggle with a bad habit that is capable of sending you to jail.

Never say never, naija go better.
Re: Paying Taxes by babakuns: 6:02pm On Jun 23, 2008
paying TAX is citizen obligation
provision of infrastructurals on the other hands is govt. duties and obligation
but these two are not balanced they(Govt) collect TAX by force but they (Govt)failed to provide amenities therefore there is no need to pay any stupid TAX bY anyone since it is not enjoyable.it is better to spend your money on other important items.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Okorocha Crying On Channels TV some people are busy sayin GMB is leading in imo / For Those Who Said "Why Saraki? " Should Pls Shut Up And Read This / Kwara Breaks Record: Produces The First Ghost Governor In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.