Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,133 members, 7,890,807 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:54 PM

Signs Of Drowning & How To Help - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Signs Of Drowning & How To Help (10484 Views)

10 Warning Signs Of Lung Cancer / Ebola Victims Now Stable, Five Showing Signs Of Recovery - Fashola / Warning Signs Of Mental Disorder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Nobody: 6:29am On Jun 23, 2013
lonelydora: I don't even go near water. I thought they said the water throws the person up THREE TIMES before taking him away?

That's a myth jor.
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by noit(m): 6:35am On Jun 23, 2013
crySmtimz.... If ur tryin to help a drowning man, ure also participating in ur own disaster...* mayb u shld juz sit for hours nd tink of what to do. Poor me ano get sense.
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Emmyswat(m): 7:09am On Jun 23, 2013
before going about all this thing the person must hav kick the bucket.. The best is to pray it never happened..
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Odunharry(m): 7:55am On Jun 23, 2013
hmm,i dnt swim wen i go 2 d beach....a friend of mine was a victim last year December,sme days 2 his bday...RIP SILVESTER
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by mysticgal(f): 8:02am On Jun 23, 2013
I remembered how i nearly drowned if not of my cousin hnm embarassedi dont go near water but this piece scared shiit outta me
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Acecube(m): 8:04am On Jun 23, 2013
i was almost a victim on friday, thank God for sparing my life and thank God for the lifegaurd
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 23, 2013
Drownin is d worst way to die, i've experienced it b4, wentu swim wit my frnds in a swimin pool, was decieved by hw easy my frnds made swimin look like, i just jumped and entrd d deepest part. Hmm na dere kasala burst, i did all d moves i saw my frnds doin,all to no avail, i was just sinkin, goin down, dyin quietly, God twas horrible, dunno how or when sme1 just pulled me up, mehn pls if u cant swim dont go near to any pool o, u wil just die, dere is no two ways bout it,a painful death. Anyways i can swim nw cheesy learnt my lesson.

2 Likes

Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by siddiq202(m): 8:29am On Jun 23, 2013
lawizle:

Share experience..it will be better received from your tongue.
Back in the days, my friends and I went to the park to swim. Looking at the pool, I saw water with dept that could not pass my waist alas it's very deep. So I entered the water, shocked I cant even remember the amount of water I drank. I saw myself with artificial wings flying inside the water. At first, I thought I have turned to superman but it dawned own me that I'm still the same siddiq202 when that lovely hand pulled me out of the water. I thank God I'm still alive sha

1 Like

Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by siddiq202(m): 8:31am On Jun 23, 2013
lola.luv:
Water can be so deceptive....
You can say that again
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by telim: 9:58am On Jun 23, 2013
swimming is fun and is cool especially when i was a little boy, atleast we often play in river niger for about four hours daily during school days and more during holidays doing children plays like boju boju. My grand father taught me how to swim in river niger at the age of six and i became proficient at the age of eight in lokoja kogi state. Two friends of mine got drowned in river niger within five years RIP bro. They got drowned then because we were scared to rescue them since we lack the experience but later learn it from our brothers.
rescuing a drowning victim is all about timing. The faster the rescuers act the higher the chances of survival of the victim, so calling 911 is a waste of time in nigeria. The best way to rescue a drowning victim is for two or more people to dive in, and such rescuers must be able to inhale oxygen that will last for a minute or above. Incase if something goes wrong they will still have some oxygen that is being converted to energy and rescuers should never approach a drowning victim from the front because such rescuers might also get drown in the process of rescuing. Drowning victims tends use their entire strength to make sure they survive, if they hold any of the rescuer such person is in big trouble. As my grandfather will always say that the strength of a drowning guy is equivalent to 7 strong guys. After all he/ she is fighting to survive.
For those that are not proficient in swimming the best help they could offer is to shout help help help someone is drowning but if they think they can rescue the drawing victim by diving in. I think the best word for such person is rest in peace till we meet again.

3 Likes

Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by abujalapdog(m): 10:17am On Jun 23, 2013
Nice one there. Im a diver..but u can call om me for lessons on how to swim! Its free!!
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by aify77: 10:17am On Jun 23, 2013
ZEALMAN: Ibeg what's the summary please?
[color=#990000][/color]Nawa o nigerians don't like reading.
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 23, 2013
I always had a phobia for water since my play mate nearly drowned when we were having one of those childhood cookout,my playmate Ester went to a construction well to get water, the well was not deep but deep enough to drown kids, we waited for a while she was swimming according to us, she actually drowning, after calling her for a while to stop swimming and bring the water lol. Well, the water brought her up one last time and we didn't see her again, we still didn't know what happened but has to run to the nearest elder to report, A lather was brought and someone went down to bring her out nearly dead, well she lived after pumping out all she swallowed including small frogs lol

1 Like

Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 23, 2013
ZEALMAN: Ibeg what's the summary please?

Don't be lazy, bro. Read the lot, it could be useful to you, or someone else. You want others to read the lot, then summarise it to you?

Not happening.

Mukina, brilliant write-up.

1 Like

Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by yomplanet(m): 11:34am On Jun 23, 2013
nice post
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by egift(m): 11:35am On Jun 23, 2013
Just want to share my own experience. (I will try to keep it short).

As a kid, I lived with my parent in a community in Ikom, CR. One day we went to the river to bath and fetch water, a boy from the compound we lived, took my 5ltr gallon and threw it into the river. For fear I will loose it, I went out to get it (I was small and could not swim then). The water current took me, I kept dipping in and out, shouting, swallowing large quantity of water, smacking the water as hard as I could in hope to stay afloat. The river took me from the spot were kids swim to the women section, through the area they had stones/rocks. It was at that point it dawned on me that its up. (Note there were a lot of people on the beach that day). I was loosing strength, sinking deeper than initially.

The last section down the beach before the deep, dark, sluggish area - was a large rock, where men do swim. When I was under the water I just had to gather as much energy as I could once I was up again screamed and did all that was left and start a final descend.

It was as my surrounding was getting darker as I sink that I saw a man swim over, grabbed me and I collapsed in his arms. For me I never knew whatever that happened next from that afternoon to the evening the next day, when I fully got back to my senses. My dad ensured I not only can I swim, but it became one of my natural skill. After 30 plus, this remain my nearest experience to death.

I thank God for my life and the man who risked his life to rescue me.

2 Likes

Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by dablizzard: 12:40pm On Jun 23, 2013
well....as for me....b4 i notice all these signs i must have drowned first!!!!! i dunno how to swim!!
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by 190: 1:12pm On Jun 23, 2013
yeah swimming is my best hobby cheesy

am not sure theres anyone on nairaland who swims better than myself
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 23, 2013
@ egift: You are indeed a lucky guy, God had decreed it wasn't your time to go. God bless the kind soul who risked all to save you!

1 Like

Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Timslimog: 3:57pm On Jun 23, 2013
Its nice learning how to swim nd most importantly learning how to rescue... Nice writeup
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Rejoice5000(f): 4:10pm On Jun 23, 2013
i no go near at all just commit the person soul to his creator.chikina
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 23, 2013
Rejoice5000: i no go near at all just commit the person soul to his creator.chikina

Would the same apply, if the person in question was your child? And would you like the same analogy to be applied if you're the one in distress, and people simply look on, and commit your sould to your creator?

I'm just trying to understand, so please don't take this the wrong way.

1 Like

Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Obinnio: 7:03pm On Jun 23, 2013
Ibime: A drowning man will take you down with him if you approach him from the front.

1995 I was playing with friends in Ipukulu branch of Amadi Creek when ma mate NGO started drowning after stepping across a dredged section of the river and being swept out by waves from a flying boat. I tried approach him from the back to put him in a half-nelson and swim us to land but somehow the ninja grabbed me in a state of panic and started using my body as leverage to keep his head above water. The net effect was me cycling my feet underwater with my head below water whilst he was climbed over me, enjoying the fresh air whilst I was the one now in trouble. Realising I was drowning, I started punching him and trying to throw him off me and subdue him. Just when ma energy was draining I managed to fling him off and grab hold of him from his back, quickly levered my arm under his armpit, put him in half-nelson and swam him to shore. Since that day, I promised to be extra careful when approaching any drowning person in the water.
oboy sorry ooh, I don't know if it is a laughing mater but seriously laugh wan kill me. [/quote]somehow the ninja grabbed me in a state of panic and started using my body as leverage to keep his head above water. The net effect was me cycling my feet underwater with my head below water whilst he was climbed over me, enjoying the fresh air whilst I was the one now in trouble. Realising I was drowning, I started punching him and trying to throw him off me and subdue him. Just when ma energy was draining I managed to fling him off and grab hold of him from his back
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jun 23, 2013
lonelydora: I don't even go near water. I thought they said the water throws the person up THREE TIMES before taking him away?
...rotflmao...omg! Na wa.
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by addicted268(f): 2:03am On Jun 24, 2013
Djtm: I can't swim. Just imagining the above scares me.
True talk.mere reading the write-up makes me feel like I'm drowning n finding it hard to breathe.drowning sure is a terrible way to die!
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Wentfor10: 4:37am On Jun 24, 2013
Quite useful for me.
'cause I can only swim 50 meters.
╮(╯▽╰)╭
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by cosify: 7:01am On Jun 24, 2013
Unfortunately,I can't swim let alone rescuing a drowning person.But for those who can rescue them,I say thumbs up for you.
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by cosify: 7:16am On Jun 24, 2013
190: ive rescued 3 people so far from drowing between 1999 and 2012

2 guys and a lady

i ended up dating the lady after she appericiated my gesture

she dumped her boyfriend for me and we had a smooth affair till i later ran away after some nyashing tongue cheesy

Are u now trying to say that d sex was the benefit of ur rescue efforts?That was an exploitation of d situation for ur own purpose.If not for that,I would have praised u for ur humanity.
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by vickyb59(m): 8:01am On Jun 24, 2013
Decryptor: Some scary shyt here. I can't forget Dele my neighbor and friend in Owerri Otammiri river Egbu.(1995) May he RIP.
i hate dat river so scary..
Re: Signs Of Drowning & How To Help by Telchizzy90(f): 9:36am On Jun 24, 2013
IvyBlue: I can swim but not to the level of a rescuer ,I need to perfect my swimming skills.
Please people take some swimming classes ,you never know when you will need it .
u are very correct

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ebola vaccine: Human trials show promising results - US scientists / 10,000 Nigerians Regain Sight Through Free Cataract Surgery By Federal Ministry / Friend Of Girl Who Accused Surgeon Of Damaging Her Booty Shares Photos And Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.