Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,783 members, 7,915,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 06:07 PM

Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? (1484 Views)

Where Are The Flex Developers in Nigeria? / Anyone With Experience In Adobe FLEX? / Help! Learning Adobe Flex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? by davidt(m): 2:30pm On May 12, 2008
Someone recently introduced (or rather told me about) me to Adobe Flex. I would like to know if there are any experienced users of Adobe Flex in the nairaland community to educate me on its pros and cons and its role in software development.

I know it is flash-based and its operational language if ActionScript.

Just how cool is it?
Re: Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? by logica(m): 10:58pm On May 12, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flex

i have never used flex myself, but i know enough about it. but i dug that link up so easily using google. i hope u catch my drift.
Re: Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? by uspry1(f): 11:26pm On May 12, 2008
Few weeks ago I already installed open-source Flashdevelop 3, the alternative of Flash IDE software with the requirement of installing .NET runtime and Adobe Flex SDK (free, alternative of Adobe Flex Builder)

FlashDevelop 3 is full Actionscript 3 coding editor with Adobe Flex SDK that support both Actionscript 2 and 3 running on .NET runtime without needing or buying Adobe Flash CS3 package due to outrage high-priced $699.99 USD.

FlashDevelop 3 is FREE open-source with many plugins!!! It is hot cake for experienced Actionscript programmers/developers who hate using TIMELINE on Adobe Flash product and Flex developers who cannot afford to purchase Adobe Flex Builders at price $999.99 USD once 30-days trial period has expired.

FlashDevelop 3 has NO TIMELINE on its project view- - -TOTALLY ACTIONSCRIPT 2/3 and FLEX coding editor that comes with XML, PHP, MXML editor inside.

Right now I am studying understanding the Adobe Flex application in order to compiling the SWF build using FlashDevelop 3. I am so excited!
Re: Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? by aphoe(m): 9:40am On May 13, 2008
one of my colleagues in office uses flex. its very cool. i have seen some of the projects he and other flex fans have design. they are very cool. it works with any lang such as php, delphi etc nto just actionscript
Re: Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? by davidt(m): 5:36pm On May 13, 2008
aphoe:
one of my colleagues in office uses flex. its very cool. i have seen some of the projects he and other flex fans have design. they are very cool. it works with any lang such as php, delphi etc nto just actionscript

uspry1:

Right now I am studying understanding the Adobe Flex application in order to compiling the SWF build using FlashDevelop 3. I am so excited!

Yeah,I have heard applications created with Flex are pretty cool. And I have heard it is pretty exciting. I'm planning to get familiar with the it too. Just needed some encouragement. Thanks guys.
Re: Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? by prodgalson: 9:21pm On May 14, 2008
Hey guys, glad to see some interest in Flex.   I wrote about 20 flex related postings a while back, before they were deleted (I didnt follow some rule, i forget which).

I work for Adobe, I've been working with flex for about 4 years (since version pre-1.0).  Now I work with our consulting arm, developing flex apps for high profile companies.  I also advise on the future of the flex sdk (and you can too! Flex is now open source )

@uspry1:
Glad to see you taking your moderation duties seriously, we've needed that.   not so glad to see your post above, looks like a flashdevelop ad! :-)  I will agree, though, that it is a great free alternative to the FlexBuilder IDE.  However, discounts are available, contact me for details.

@davidt:
In a nutshell, Flex is great for creating rich, interactive software user experiences that run on the flash player, or AIR , in the case of desktop apps (AIR = Adobe Integrated Runtime).   I say 'Software' because it encompasses web , desktop, and in the future, mobile applications.  Flex applications are purely front end, and connect to any flavour of middle tier technologies (asp/php/coldfusion/j2ee/etc).  This has been possible for some time now with Flash, but Flex revolutionizes the development process.  Flash was made with designers in mind, they are quick to grasp the concept of a 'stage', 'timeline' , and drawing/editing tools.  Flex was built off the base Flash Player API, and it is essentially a framework , with dozens of classes that allow you to create applications with pure code, and no knowledge of the flash ide, in about one-third of the time it would take a flash developer.   Using flex, you can leverage your common development practices seen in software engineering:  Design Patterns, Code versioning, Agile methodologies, Unit Testing, Test Driven Development, etc.   The Flex SDK is free, so you can write your apps in notepad, and download the compiler , but of course you'd be MUCH more efficient using Flex Builder, and / or Flashdevelop.  The offer code hinting, and other features to REALLY speed up development.  If you can afford it, get Flex Builder; one HUGE benefit is being able to debug your apps with breakpoints, as well as inspect the memory consumption of your classes in realtime. 

I have to run, but feel free to drop me a line with any questions you might have  : ekz[at]adobe.com .  Here are some links:

Gallery of flex applications:
http://www.flex.org/showcase

Getting started (and other) videos:
http://learn.adobe.com/wiki/display/Flex/Getting+Started

All Flex and Flex Builder Tutorials (by Adobe):
You will see links to PDFs and also online documentation
http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/flex/

Tutorials from the flex community:
http://www.cflex.net/

You can check some of my related posts on NL , though its nothing compared to what i had up before:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=148155;sa=showPosts

I also strongly recommend subscribing to flexcoders yahoo email list
There are tens of thousands of past tips/help from people having common problems.
You can subscribe, or just search the mail archive.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/flexcoders/

Here's an excerpt from the product page:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/overview/

"Flex provides a modern, standards-based language and programming model that supports common design patterns. MXML, a declarative XML-based language, is used to describe UI layout and behaviors, and ActionScript™ 3, a powerful object-oriented programming language, is used to create client logic. Flex also includes a rich component library with more than 100 proven, extensible UI components for creating rich Internet applications (RIAs), as well as an interactive Flex application debugger.

RIAs created with Flex can run in the browser using Adobe Flash® Player software or on the desktop on Adobe AIR™, the cross-operating system runtime. This enables Flex applications to run consistently across all major browsers and on the desktop. And using AIR, Flex applications can now access local data and system resources on the desktop. Both Flash Player and Adobe AIR are available as a free download on Adobe.com."

Re: Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? by powerblaze(m): 9:54pm On May 14, 2008
hey, i emailed you as requested but you didn't reply. I'm learning flex myself, though its hard trying it out on your own with no support on any side. I made a chat room, several login and database related pages, and some cool effects. But i really wanna learn it frm scratch. I just get tutorials and practice it. But i really wanna know more of it, I'm sure you remmeber me,
Re: Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? by prodgalson: 9:55pm On May 14, 2008
Yeah I got it. Been waiting for you to come back on YIM for a proper chat.
Re: Adobe Flex - How Cool Is It? Any Experienced Users On Nairaland? by uspry1(f): 10:25pm On May 14, 2008
prodgalson:

@uspry1:
Glad to see you taking your moderation duties seriously, we've needed that.   not so glad to see your post above, looks like a flashdevelop ad! :-)  I will agree, though, that it is a great free alternative to the FlexBuilder IDE.  However, discounts are available, contact me for details.

Thanks @prodgalson for compliment on my moderating job.

I will contact you about discounts available in other time.

(1) (Reply)

Book "Graph Theory And Its Applications By Jonathan L Gross ..." For Sale / Programming MADE EASY, Download All Programming Books At All Engineering Studies / Dynamic Web Content Fully Explained

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.