Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,743 members, 7,875,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:43 PM

Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! (1667 Views)

Flood Alert: Alpha Beach In Lagos Overflowing / Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater / Top 10 'dodgy' Contracts Awarded Under Brf In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by Eyeba2013: 9:25am On Jun 25, 2013
Alpha Beach road as transformed from being a road to a river. One needs a boat to navigate half of the road for most part of the year. Pls join us in our SHOUT OUT to BRF to fix our road (River?).

Join us in SHOUT OUT to BRF/LAGS to FIX ALPHA BEACH ROAD

2 Likes

Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 9:41am On Jun 25, 2013
I JOIN!
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by austinkenneth: 9:54am On Jun 25, 2013
Eyeba2013: Alpha Beach road as transformed from being a road to a river. One needs a boat to navigate half of the road for most part of the year. Pls join us in our SHOUT OUT to BRF to fix our road (River?).

That is not one of the worst roads in Lagos and na BIG BOYS area be that. The affluent people who live there should either arrange to fix or continue waiting. If I'm BRF I'll concentrate on the welfare of the poor and middle class.
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by Maxymilliano(m): 10:08am On Jun 25, 2013
Eyeba2013: Alpha Beach road as transformed from being a road to a river. One needs a boat to navigate half of the road for most part of the year. Pls join us in our SHOUT OUT to BRF to fix our road (River?).

is it the 'New Road or what is it called?

Used to be a good spot for trainee drivers during my stay at Baale Street at 'Igboefon' over a decade ago.

Hope it get the attention it deserved ...
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 11:32am On Jun 25, 2013
austinkenneth:
That is not one of the worst roads in Lagos and na BIG BOYS area be that. The affluent people who live there should either arrange to fix or continue waiting. If I'm BRF I'll concentrate on the welfare of the poor and middle class.

Both New Road (which leads to the beach) and Alpha Beach-Lafiaji Road (which runs parallel to the ocean banks) need urgent attention.

New Road used to lead to one of the most active tourist spots in Lagos, Alpha Beach, until recently. The tourism potential of the area has now been killed by the neglect of both the Federal and State Government.

In addition to that, there are scores of poor and middle class people who live at Alpha Beach, some already displaced from their ancestral homes.

The president and state governor have both visited the site. They flew to the site by helicopter (I know for sure the president did) and made promises but nothing is yet to be done.

I personally take exception to the notion that only the rich and affluent live in Lekki. This is just an unfortunate generalisation which must stop!

There are communities in Lekki whose only link to 'civilisation' are roads that were constructed by DFRRI (during the Babangida years).
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by Ilaje44(m): 12:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
johnie:

Both New Road (which leads to the beach) and Alpha Beach-Lafiaji Road (which runs parallel to the ocean banks) need urgent attention.

New Road used to lead to one of the most active tourist spots in Lagos, Alpha Beach, until recently. The tourism potential of the area has now been killed by the neglect of both the Federal and State Government.

In addition to that, there are scores of poor and middle class people who live at Alpha Beach, some already displaced from their ancestral homes.

The president and state governor have both visited the site. They flew to the site by helicopter (I know for sure the president did) and made promises but nothing is yet to be done.

I personally take exception to the notion that only the rich and affluent live in Lekki. This is just an unfortunate generalisation which must stop!

There are communities in Lekki whose only link to 'civilisation' are roads that were constructed by DFRRI (during the Babangida years).

If you knew that in the mid 1970s there was no road to these places, you would be grateful for the little development you have now. Back then, the Baale in Aja practically begged my father to move to Ajah. He actually gave father a free plot, but father refused, because there was no road leading to Ajah and it was far from civilisation. Beside, father already bought a plot in Ogudu. Anyway, I am still regretting that we did not move to Ajah back then. And our plot in Ogudu was acquired for the GRA Ogudu project and our house was demolished without the millitary Government of Obasanjo compensating us. I remember that when we visit Ajah with our boat, we used to stay like 3 days and I used to go to the forest to pick gigantic snails with my elder sisters. It is a beautiful memory.
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by Emperor007: 12:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
austinkenneth:

^^^^

What are the primary responsibilities of a state government?

Is he are and his master not collecting toll on Lekki - Epe road?

He is absolutely not doing anything, that doesn't make the poor you referenced to spend more.

Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 12:20pm On Jun 25, 2013
Ilaje44:

If you knew that in the mid 1970s there was no road to these places, you would be grateful for the little development you have now.

shocked

I am shocked!

You really mean I should be grateful that development has come to citizens of a country in the 21st century?

Are the indigenes of Aja/Lekki not citizens of Nigeria?
Don't they fulfil their civic responsibilities?

Your comment highlights the damage done to our national psyche by the prolonged military interregnum exemplified by your own experience under the jackboots of the Obasanjo government!

I am shocked that after 14 years of uninterrupted civilian rule anyone would make such a comment.

No harm intended!
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 12:29pm On Jun 25, 2013
[size=14pt]. . . then the LASG shifted the burden of building the coastal defences to the FG:[/size]

Nigeria: Danger Looms In Lekki
•Part of damaged areas of the beach caused by the flood at Lekki/Alpha Beach on Monday July 18, 2011.
INSET: Commissioner for Water Front and Infrastructure Development, PrInce Adesegun Oniru (2nd right), Minister of Trade and Investment, Dr. Olusegun Aganga (3rd left), Permanent Secretary, (Office of Drainage) Ministry of Environment, Engr. Muyideen Akinsanya (left) and the Environmentalist, Mr. Desmond Majekodunmi (2nd right), during the inspection of the beach by the Federal Government Ecological Fund Delegation team. With him are: Lagos State Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello (left) and the Permanent Secretary, (Office of Drainage) Ministry of Environment, Engr. Muyideen Akinsanya (right)

In the next three months, thousands of houses and residents abutting the Alpha Beach in Lekki area of Lagos State, Southwest Nigeria will be sacked by coastal erosion by the ocean, warns the Lagos State Government.

Already, in the last two weeks, the 20 metres of coastline has been lost to the ocean as the water from the sea is less than 70 metres away from residential area and several shanties abutting the ocean.

Commissioner for Waterfront Development and Infrastructure, Prince Segun Oniru disclosed this on Monday when a team from the Federal Government came to inspect the level of damage caused by the recent flood in Lagos and submit its finding to President Goodluck Jonathan.

The team was led by the Minister of Trade and Investment, Dr. Olusegun Aganga, while the Permanent Secretary, Ecological Funds in the Office of the Presidency, Mrs. Ibukun Odusote was also in the team. The team inspected the Mayegun Beach where several shipwrecks are causing coastal erosion in the area and the Alpha Beach faced with the same problem of coastal erosion.

According to Oniru, who spoke at the Alpha Beach, residents in the area were in grave danger as the water from the ocean is fast approaching residential area and called on the Federal Government to do something urgent to safeguard the lives of people and properties.

He said the only urgent solution to halt the coastal erosion was for the Federal Government to reclaim the lost area to the beach by creating an embankment like it was done to the Bar Beach to prevent it from eroding the Ahmadu Bello Way.

“I cannot say how much it will cost to solve the problem of the beach but the Federal Government still needs to come to inspect the area to find solution to it.

“You can’t fight nature but you can only appease it. We need to push back the water and protect the beach from eroding. If nothing is done, in the next three to six months, everything you see here (houses and people) won’t be here anymore. In the last two weeks, we have lost 20 metres of the coastline to the ocean. What we are witnessing at the beach is natural erosion and a consequence of the rise in water level which is a result of global warming,” he stated.

He said the Alpha Beach which had been severely eroded and had damaged the roads needed urgent attention to save the impending danger.

Also speaking, Aganga said the Federal Government would surely come to the aid of Lagos, saying that the state government had already compiled what it needed, which he said would be forwarded to the president for action.

“We have heard that 20 metres of coastline had already been lost to the ocean in the last two weeks and that if we don’t do something about it, the people you see behind you here won’t be here anymore. We are here to assess the situation,” he said.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/07/19/nigeria-danger-looms-in-lekki/

[size=14pt]Since the visit nothing concrete has been done, either by the FG or the LASG[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/804007/whats-happening-lekki-axis-3/1#9809014

Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by naptu2: 12:35pm On Jun 25, 2013
I saw the STV News report about the Alpha Beach-Lafiagi Road. It's in a terrible state. The whole area needs rehabilitation.

You are right, Fashola flew Jonathan to the area a few years ago. Alpha Beach has been eaten up by coastal erosion that's partly caused by shipwrecks in the area. The Lagos State Governor took the opportunity to show the President the problem so that he'll get Nimasa to remove the wrecks. I don't think anything has been done about it (although the LASG says that it will extend the Great Wall of Lagos to that area in order to protect Alpha Beach).

By the way, it's not true that everybody in the area is rich. Lafiaji is a poor village and the road to the village is in a terrible state (they also lack basic amenities like potable water, etc). Government needs to move in and rehabilitate that area.
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by naptu2: 12:46pm On Jun 25, 2013
[size=14pt]Jonathan, Fashola inspect shipwrecks at Lekki.[/size]

July 21, 2011 | 9:27 pm

LAGOS — President Goodluck Jonathan, in company of Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, Tuesday, inspected shipwrecks at the Lekki Beach in Eti Osa Local Government Area and their impact on coastal erosion.

Jonathan, who alighted from a Nigerian Air Force Chopper with registration number NAF 541 on the beach accompanied by Fashola and the Lagos State Commissioner for Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello, said wherever shipwrecks happened, it should be the responsibility of the Nigerian Maritime and Safety Agency, NIMASA, and other federal agencies to take charge.

Briefing the President earlier during the inspection, Bello said since the shipwrecks had been washed ashore, it was the state government that has been responsible for the removal of the wreckages.

He said the Nigerian Ports Authority, NPA, and NIMASA should have come in to play their roles rather than leaving the state government to tackle the wreckage alone.

Giving insight into the President’s visit later at the Airport, Fashola said the visit of the President was symbolic because since the flood incident of last week, the President had expressed his sympathy and also sent men including a Minister and Permanent Secretary of the Ecological Fund to evaluate it personally.

He said the President had also gone to Alpha Beach and part of Maiyegun Beach to see parts of the severely impacted places where the state could get some help.

Speaking during an interview with Airport correspondents after the visit, Fashola said the visit to Nigeria by two world leaders in the last 10 days reaffirms the assertion that the role of Africa on the planet has been particularly definitive and that Nigeria as the biggest black economy on the African continent will have a role to play depending on how she organizes herself.

“The message of the talk by the British Prime Minister is Aid, Trade and Democracy. There is a lot of business in the air. Our government agencies, banks, financial institutions must brace up. There are a lot of opportunities in the air and we must embrace it and take the benefit the way Britain expects us to benefit.

“There is a lot of work to be done and instead of grumbling, everybody including the media, the society, the government, civil society must see this now as one last huge opportunity for nation building”.

“We can use this decade as Nigeria’s turn around decade. It’s predicted that about six to eight fastest growing economies are on the continent. We would be there if we actualize the dream, potentials won’t take us there, actualising means rolling up our sleeves, stop quarrelling, fighting and stop being part of the problem but the solution”, Governor Fashola stated.

Responding to a question about the purported failure of the drainage system in the State as being responsible for flooding, the Governor affirmed that the people should be careful to jump into conclusions about workings of the drainages system without proper knowledge.

“This tells us that we have a lot of work to do to share information with the people that there is a drainage channel. But the drainage channels are not just channels that we call gutters but the body of lagoons, rivers, canals and creeks. The channels that we call gutters are to take water to the drainage. We have a lot to do to let people know the role the channels are supposed to play in the neighbourhoods”.

“We need to build more. go to Lekki, you will see our men, at Surulere in Babs Animashaun by Census, work is in progress, in Shomolu, three contractors are working, in Lekki by Igbokusu and Chevron by Ajiran. We have solved the problem in Idi Araba. Two years ago when we were doing the concrete lining, parts of Surulere were flooded and there was a lot of outcry.

Today, the concrete line is working and the river LUTH is not a river anymore. The drainage works but with 16 hours unrelenting rainfall, it could be very challenging”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/jonathan-fashola-inspect-shipwrecks-at-lekki/
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 1:06pm On Jun 25, 2013
naptu2: LASG says that it will extend the Great Wall of Lagos to that area in order to protect Alpha Beach

I did not know that!

Are you sure?

That'll be great!
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by naptu2: 1:26pm On Jun 25, 2013
johnie:

I did not know that!

Are you sure?

That'll be great!

Yeah, I watched it on TV (I think this was after the Kuramo ocean surge). He said they'll extend it to Alpha Beach. I'm a bit busy now, but I'll post the full article later (I hope the anti-spam bot doesn't ban me).

They also plan to do remedial work in the mean time. They've already started work at the beach opposite Lekki Phase 1. I used to go for long walks there, but I stopped going there around 2009. I went there late last year and I was shocked. The ocean had eaten up parts of the beach! They are currently dumping large boulders into the ocean to cushion the effects of the ocean waves.
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by naptu2: 1:27pm On Jun 25, 2013
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 1:36pm On Jun 25, 2013
LAGOS TO EXTEND EKO ATLANTIC CITY PROJECT

Posted by My Lagos on March 10, 2013 // Leave Your Comment

Governor Fashola and guests at launching

The Lagos State Government Tuesday unfolded plans to extend the Eko Atlantic City Project from the Bar Beach in Victoria Island to Alpha Beach in Lekki, as a way of permanently protecting lives and property along the state’s section of the Atlantic Ocean.

It also lamented the refusal of the Federal Government to fulfil its promise to address ocean erosion, which it said, affected strategic parts of the state before it took the initiative to build the Eko Atlantic City as a permanent solution to the ecological challenge.

The state Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), explained the state’s response to ecological challenges during an inspection of some strategic projects in Lekki and Victoria Island yesterday, noting that the Federal Government had not given assistance to the state government in tackling the challenge.

Fashola, accompanied by the state’s Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello and his Works and Infrastructure counterpart, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, among others, inspected the International Arbitration Centre in Lekki, Maternal and Childcare Centre in Ajah, Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge, Ozumba Mbadiwe Road project, Fairmont Garden Mixed Development and Dolphin jetty project.

During the inspection, the governor expressed the resolve of the state government “to protect lives and property along the shore. It is a major ecological challenge for the state. We are going to build and protect for another 7.3 kilometres and that would get to Alpha Beach.

http://lagostomegacity.com/?p=582
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by austinkenneth: 1:38pm On Jun 25, 2013
johnie:

Please can someone upload pictures of the road here sothat we can even see how bad it is?
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 1:57pm On Jun 25, 2013
Lagos to Extend Eko Atlantic City Project

06 Mar 2013

Gboyega Akinsanmi

The Lagos State Government Tuesday unfolded plans to extend the Eko Atlantic City Project from the Bar Beach in Victoria Island to Alpha Beach in Lekki, as a way of permanently protecting lives and property along the state’s section of the Atlantic Ocean.

It also lamented the refusal of the Federal Government to fulfil its promise to address ocean erosion, which it said, affected strategic parts of the state before it took the initiative to build the Eko Atlantic City as a permanent solution to the ecological challenge.

The state Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), explained the state’s response to ecological challenges during an inspection of some strategic projects in Lekki and Victoria Island yesterday, noting that the Federal Government had not given assistance to the state government in tackling the challenge.

Fashola, accompanied by the state’s Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello and his Works and Infrastructure counterpart, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, among others, inspected the International Arbitration Centre in Lekki, Maternal and Childcare Centre in Ajah, Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge, Ozumba Mbadiwe Road project, Fairmont Garden Mixed Development and Dolphin jetty project.

During the inspection, the governor expressed the resolve of the state government “to protect lives and property along the shore. It is a major ecological challenge for the state. We are going to build and protect for another 7.3 kilometres and that would get to Alpha Beach.

“Last August, we had a big storm when the Atlantic ran into the Kuramo and threatened all the property in that axis. You will recall that we had to abandoned few projects that we intended to do on that axis and re-ordered our budget so that we could respond to the emergency to safe lives in some of the estates located on the axis.

“We are constructing infrastructure that will limit the ability of the sea to continue to affect the shoreline there and what we have seen in about six months work is very encouraging. We have saved property that would have been submerged.

“If we have not acted, the story would have been different. Perhaps, it is one of the significant projects that our budget implementation achieved last year. There is still a distance to go. That project will last three years. So we have only awarded the first phase.”

The governor lamented that in spite of the threat of ocean surge to lives and property along the Atlantic Ocean, the state government “has not received any help from anyone. But we continued because this is the right way to spend tax payers’ money.”

He, however, explained that the state government “is currently executing about 1,966 projects across the state ” and only about 300 of the projects had been inspected so far.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-to-extend-eko-atlantic-city-project/141363/
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by naptu2: 2:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
Thanks Johnnie.
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 2:03pm On Jun 25, 2013
austinkenneth:

Please can someone upload pictures of the road here sothat we can even see how bad it is?

Eyeba2013 and any other interested parties over to you.

@austinkenneth, I hope you would focus your attention on the road and not the houses?

@Naptu, thanks for the heads up on the extension of the Great Wall. Dunno how I missed that one.
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 2:14pm On Jun 25, 2013
EKO ATLANTIC: A city set on water

Former President of the United States America, Bill Clinton, who also witnessed the unveiling of the project could not agree less that the devastating effects and disasters induced by ocean surge around the world in recent times call for such proactive step. He believes the project holds more prospects beyond serving as protective wall against ocean encroachment. To him, the Eko Atlantic City, when completed, will serve as a major tourist destination in Nigeria. “I am convinced that five years from now, many around the world will be coming to see this great wall,” Governor Fashola enthused.

Upon completion, the project, a joint venture by the Lagos State government and South Energyx Nigeria Limited, is projected to accommodate 250,000 residents with 150,000 others commuting to the city on daily basis. With the plan by the state government to expand the project from Bar Beach in Victoria Island to Alpha Beach in Lekki, it is expected that more residents will be accommodated. This, analysts believe, will further ease the housing problem which the nation is currently grappling with. Nigeria’s housing deficit is believed to be in the region of 16 million. Out of this figure Lagos state is estimated to harbour 30 percent of the deficit, which represents a total of five million.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/specials/aspire/eko-atlantic-a-city-set-on-water/

Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 2:18pm On Jun 25, 2013
^^^

Can anyone confirm that the extension of the Great Wall means an expansion of the original size of Eko Atlantic or is the reporter just being overzealous?

On a lighter note, this has got to be the only picture in which I have seen President Jonathan and Asiwaju Tinubu smiling at a single point of interest, what do you think?
Re: Shout-out To Lasg/brf To Fix Alpha Beach Road!!! by johnie: 2:40pm On Jul 01, 2013
^^^
Anyone?

(1) (Reply)

PDP/GDI Rally The Streets Of PHC In Response To Ameachi's Defection To APC / "One-way Driving": Customs Officers Unleash Terror On LASTMA / World's Best Nightlife Cities......cnn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.