Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,556 members, 7,881,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 11:31 AM

ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI (13636 Views)

Dongara, Gbajabiamila Nominated As Speaker As Voting Begins In House Of Reps / Real Battle To Dislodge Boko Haram Begins In March / Nigerian Naira Heading To Devaluation After Rejecting ECOWAS Single Currency Bid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by drnoel: 10:56am On Jun 25, 2013
Ajasnoop: Europe is not having the best of times with the single currency. West Africa wants to start. #whatsthepoint
Allow those foolish people. Instead of them to sign memorandum of accountability na currency they won sign.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Horus(m): 10:57am On Jun 25, 2013
The fact is that Africans can only rise together. It is important to note that it is in the interest of the West for us to remain divided because they will retain a massive bargaining power over us. Africa is resource rich and if we worked together, we could form a price fixing cartel, like OPEC for all our resources, in the process extracting a bigger portion of value from the global economic system.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 25, 2013
docjuli:

Where are they used?

My point is that a proposed single-currency region must be backed and underwritten by a capable central bank.

The French central bank underwrites the CFA franc (used by French-speaking African countries) in exchange for control of monetary policy in those nations.

I fail to see how that scenario resembles this one.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 25, 2013
Must these African Leaders be thinking towards the dark side because they are dark skinned? This is what is causing problem in Europe and UK is dancing alanta cos they didn't get fully involved in it and now useless dumb-headed HeadOfStates are trying to go into it...

I hope they learn from the mistakes of the Europeans and lets see how far it will take them. But If it is worth doing, the risk needs to be analysed as per the thinking of the average African with respect to abuse of power
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by docjuli(m): 11:05am On Jun 25, 2013
HNosegbe:

My point is that a proposed single-currency region must be backed and underwritten by a capable central bank.

The French central banks underwrite the CFA franc (used by French-speaking African countries) in exchange for control of monetary policy in those nations.

I fail to see how that scenario resembles this one.

No wahala, I get ur pt. Thanks though. By the way, Equatorial Guinea uses F CFA (they are not French speaking, back in the days we call them NDI UKWU AJA).
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 25, 2013
Horus: The fact is that Africans can only rise together. It is important to note that it is in the interest of the West for us to remain divided because they will retain a massive bargaining power over us. Africa is resource rich and if we worked together, we could form a price fixing cartel, like OPEC for all our resources, in the process extracting a bigger portion of value from the global economic system.

With 300 million people, West Africa is surely big enough to create a powerful trade bloc. Political stability and decent economic growth, however, have to be made in ALL member nations for the cartel idea to be successful.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Gbawe: 11:05am On Jun 25, 2013
Horus: The fact is that Africans can only rise together. It is important to note that it is in the interest of the West for us to remain divided because they will retain a massive bargaining power over us. Africa is resource rich and if we worked together, we could form a price fixing cartel, like OPEC for all our resources, in the process extracting a bigger portion of value from the global economic system.

Bottom line is that you cannot force a people to give what they do not have. Africans are simply not socially evolved or disciplined enough to sustain sophisticated models of mutual cooperation or interdependent living. While we can all suggest laudable models that may best take advantage of our situation and endowment, in an increasingly competitive world with dwindling resources and opportunities, we should always have the people themselves in mind - most especially their glaring limitations.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Yungprinzet: 11:07am On Jun 25, 2013
This 2015 of a tin scares me alot coz of d many tinz it entails. Election,single currency,new world order,etc. Mmmm, I pity most of u that are in support of dis Single Currency rubbish. Have u 4gtn so fast the prophecy in Revelation talking abt the world spending a single currency & no transaction without the mark of the beast 666. Most people would evn collect the mark with open arms. I'm sorry 4u, instead of u 2 repent ur ways & pray that this plan should not come 2 pass. U are there celebratin destruction. Mmmm, may the Lord av mercy on us all.AMEN
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 11:08am On Jun 25, 2013
ledafaze: Must these African Leaders be thinking towards the dark side because they are dark skinned? This is what is causing problem in Europe and UK is dancing alanta cos they didn't get fully involved in it and now useless dumb-headed HeadOfStates are trying to go into it...

I hope they learn from the mistakes of the Europeans and lets see how far it will take them. But If it is worth doing, the risk needs to be analysed as per the thinking of the average African with respect to abuse of power

As the UK still uses the Pound Sterling for domestic transactions, Nigeria could do the same with the Naira, but conduct trade with other West African nations using the ECO.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by docjuli(m): 11:09am On Jun 25, 2013
Strictly speaking, there are actually two different currencies called the CFA franc: the West African CFA franc (ISO 4217 currency code XOF), and the Central Africa CFA franc (ISO 4217 currency code XAF). They are distinguished in French by the meaning of the abbreviation CFA. These two CFA francs have the same exchange rate with the euro (1 euro = 655.957 XOF = 655.957 XAF), and they are both guaranteed by the French treasury (Trésor public), but the West African CFA franc cannot be used in Central African countries, and the Central Africa CFA franc cannot be used in West African countries.
West African[edit]
Main article: West African CFA franc

The West African CFA franc (XOF) is just known in French as the Franc CFA, where CFA stands for Communauté financière d'Afrique ("Financial Community of Africa"wink or Communauté Financière Africaine ("African Financial Community"wink.[4] It is issued by the BCEAO (Banque Centrale des États de l'Afrique de l'Ouest, i.e. "Central Bank of the West African States"wink, located in Dakar, Senegal, for the 8 countries of the UEMOA (Union Économique et Monétaire Ouest Africaine, i.e. "West African Economic and Monetary Union"wink:

* Benin
* Burkina Faso
* Ivory Coast
* Guinea-Bissau
* Mali
* Niger
* Senegal
* Togo

Central African[edit]
Main article: Central African CFA franc

The Central Africa CFA franc (XAF) is known in French as the Franc CFA, where CFA stands for Coopération financière en Afrique centrale ("Financial Cooperation in Central Africa"wink. It is issued by the BEAC (Banque des États de l'Afrique Centrale, i.e. "Bank of the Central African States"wink, located in Yaoundé, Cameroon, for the 6 countries of the CEMAC (Communauté Économique et Monétaire de l'Afrique Centrale, i.e. "Economic and Monetary Community of Central Africa"wink:

* Cameroon
* Central African Republic
* Chad
* Republic of the Congo
* Equatorial Guinea
* Gabon

In 1975, Central African CFA banknotes were issued with an obverse unique to each participating country, and common reverse, in a fashion similar to euro coins.

Equatorial Guinea, the only former Spanish colony in the zone, adopted the CFA in 1984.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFA_franc
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Kenny4lyfe(m): 11:09am On Jun 25, 2013
COMMENT RESEVED UNTIL 2015! UNTIL THEN... SPACE BOOKED!
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by docjuli(m): 11:10am On Jun 25, 2013
But in the street, the XOF is stronger sometimes up to N3 higher than the XAF.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 11:10am On Jun 25, 2013
Akpa ife: End time is coming I dey see danger soon d whole world will use 1 currency
Akpa Ife = Akpa Amu, Akpa Utu. End time is coming, yet, you don't want to end your life because of oke ikwa iko
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Ilaje44(m): 11:24am On Jun 25, 2013
ballabriggs: It is not feasible and I will give you some reasons. You do not just do it because you hear others are doing it.

Firstly, most ECOWAS countries do not have the same economic cycle. To share a single currency is to lose control of your monetary policy. In fact Nigeria with a lesser risk than these other countries will be stupid to dollarise its currency. A bit technical and I might need a chart to explain what I mean.

Secondly, the volume of inter-ECOWAS trade between member countries is a small proportion of the total trade of these countries. Makes absolutely no sense to then dollarise when there are still barriers to trade between members.
Aktually, you dont need a chart, because you are peddling falsehood. Firstly, all the countries involved are basically raw material exporting countries. Secondly corruption and inefficiency is common to all. Thirdly, the Naira is already dollarized a long time ago. The value of the Naira is pegged to the Dollar.

However, you are very on point with the matter of inter-ECOWAS trade. I really laughed when I read they are planning a single currency, when they are busy imposing all manner of barriers to impede free flow of good among themselves. If there was free trade in the ECOWAS, the Lagos port would have to up its game else, a lot of people would have chosen to have their goods come in through Cotonou or even Lome.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Gbawe: 11:30am On Jun 25, 2013
Ilaje44:

However, you are very on point with the matter of inter-ECOWAS trade. I really laughed when I read they are planning a single currency, when they are busy imposing all manner of barriers to impede free flow of good among themselves. If there was free trade in the ECOWAS, the Lagos port would have to up its game else, a lot of people would have chosen to have their goods come in through Cotonou or even Lome.

Good point and precisely what I meant with an earlier submission.

The reality is that the economies of ECOWAS States are nowhere near harmonised enough to facilitate the deliverance of a single currency. Even the free movements of goods and services underpinning the ethos of ECOWAS is bogged down in non-compliance with member States waking up today to arbitrarily enact protectionist actions that should be clearly outlawed.

Simply not a realistic target in my opinion.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Desric(m): 11:40am On Jun 25, 2013
For me I think they are not serious and in fact they are just doing the WAMI thing out of idleness and lack of vision.
Because serious issues like this should not be disclosed or made public just on the occasion of a courtesy call by a group of individuals... Looking at the time frame of 2015 and the magnitude of the project activities involved before finally arriving to the single currency implementation on all member states, I think its not realisable with the nature of things going on in the region and their diverse economic policies and standards.

Therefore I regard it as a mere rhetoric by the "so-called" West African Monentry Institute. Maybe when they get serious, we ll also know.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by ballabriggs: 11:40am On Jun 25, 2013
Ilaje44:
Aktually, you dont need a chart, because you are peddling falsehood. Firstly, all the countries involved are basically raw material exporting countries. Secondly corruption and inefficiency is common to all. Thirdly, the Naira is already dollarized a long time ago. The value of the Naira is pegged to the Dollar.

What is this one saying? I done die O, the number of educated illiterates Nigeria produces daily is a big danger. He does not even understand what I have written yet he has come out to pose like one Maynard Keynes.

This is how you people confuse those people in your village meeting. Mr you need to learn or ask rather than come out on a forum like this to display ignorance.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 11:44am On Jun 25, 2013
Single Ecowas Currency will be great for Nigerians than the rest of the Ecowas countries, considering our liquidity status. Now we will have a single harmonized currency without having to lose on FX complications as pertains fluctuation marginal differences occasioned by Exim trades within the Economic bloc.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Elxandre(m): 11:47am On Jun 25, 2013
CFCfan:

The ECOWAS treaty would have to be enforced in order to guarantee that those same trade barriers are minimised. For instance, ECOWAS passport holders may not need a visa to visit another ECOWAS country, if they are visiting for, say, 3 or 4 months.
You dont need visas to travel to ECOWAS countries!

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 11:53am On Jun 25, 2013
Finally we won!! all hail Lord Enki (the Angel of Light, the make of humanity, the master of earth) cool
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Mopolchi: 11:53am On Jun 25, 2013
What will be the fate of my NAIRA?
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 11:58am On Jun 25, 2013
Gbawe: Tall order. Target dates have been proposed in the past that have not been met because genuine sincerity and commitment remain non-existent. Ecowas Countries, in my opinion, are only paying lip service to the notion of single currency.
may you not be destroyed by ignorance. This policy has been agreed on since year 2000 by Obj Govt and other Ecowas leaders. 2015 has already been agreed as kick off date and its not an haphazardous decision Mr Gbawe. Its a good move that deserves our commendations and support. God bless you
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
ballabriggs:

What is this one saying? I done die O, the number of educated illiterates Nigeria produces daily is a big danger. He does not even understand what I have written yet he has come out to pose like one Maynard Keynes.

This is how you people confuse those people in your village meeting. Mr you need to learn or ask rather than come out on a forum like this to display ignorance.
will you blame him? Many ignorant people posing like seasoned analysts on nl
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Dewze(m): 12:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
Yungprinzet: This 2015 of a tin scares me alot coz of d many tinz it entails. Election,single currency,new world order,etc. Mmmm, I pity most of u that are in support of dis Single Currency rubbish. Have u 4gtn so fast the prophecy in Revelation talking abt the world spending a single currency & no transaction without the mark of the beast 666. Most people would evn collect the mark with open arms. I'm sorry 4u, instead of u 2 repent ur ways & pray that this plan should not come 2 pass. U are there celebratin destruction. Mmmm, may the Lord av mercy on us all.AMEN

if it has been prophecied, then it ll surely come to pass, whether you pray against it or not. If it does not come to pass, it means Revelation lied. So why d fuss over something u can't stop from happening?
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 25, 2013
Dewze:

if it has been prophecied, then it ll surely come to pass, whether you pray against it or not. If it does not come to pass, it means Revelation lied. So why d fuss over something u can't stop from happening?
oga nothing is coming to pass. Na so them begin LIE say na President Obama be anti-christ, now them want shift gear. 2015 will come and go, No anti-christi will show up. Na today we don de hear anti-christ?

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Gbawe: 12:09pm On Jun 25, 2013
barcanista: may you not be destroyed by ignorance. This policy has been agreed on since year 2000 by Obj Govt and other Ecowas leaders. 2015 has already been agreed as kick off date and its not an haphazardous decision Mr Gbawe. Its a good move that deserves our commendations and support. God bless you

Why are some of you so obsessed with stalking and discrediting other posters to the extent you are prepared to lie ludicrously in the process? You lie the 2015 date has been agreed since "2000 by Obj Govt and other Ecowas leaders" yet show no single reference to back this false assertion. Meanwhile, I have already shown earlier, conclusively, that dates for the take-off of the ECO has been agreed and postponed several times. Dude, get a life. Stop stalking others with lies here. You're not bright enough to get away with it. You will only get exposed as an olodo who is fond of lying. Clearly, you are the only person being "destroyed by ignorance".

http://www.ghanabizmedia.com/ghanabizmedia/january-2011-ecowas/191-the-eco-a-common-currency-phantasm-or-certainty.html

The ECO: a common currency phantasm or certainty?

The initial date set for the introduction of the ‘ECO’ was January 2003. However, the implementation suffered a pitfall when by November 2002 it became apparent that the participating countries would not be able to achieve the convergence criteria.

The date was subsequently postponed to July 2005, as it was expected that that would give the countries adequate time to meet the criteria. But, again, this did not happen because the countries failed to meet the target.

It was then decided that, perhaps, the process should be postponed for a longer period to enable the countries make more preparations.

December 2009 was therefore settled upon with the hope that the participating countries will properly gird their loins for the new currency. But, as it turned out, the deadline did not become feasible, and now the new date is 2015.

For some analysts, it remains to be seen whether the proverbial ‘old lady’ would finally shove off her ‘stick’ in 2015 or there would be another postponement to perhaps, 2020.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by chris365(m): 12:25pm On Jun 25, 2013
Yungprinzet: This 2015 of a tin scares me alot coz of d many tinz it entails. Election,single currency,new world order,etc. Mmmm, I pity most of u that are in support of dis Single Currency rubbish. Have u 4gtn so fast the prophecy in Revelation talking abt the world spending a single currency & no transaction without the mark of the beast 666. Most people would evn collect the mark with open arms. I'm sorry 4u, instead of u 2 repent ur ways & pray that this plan should not come 2 pass. U are there celebratin destruction. Mmmm, may the Lord av mercy on us all.AMEN

so they now allow browsing in yaba left? angry
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by EdwinOse: 12:32pm On Jun 25, 2013
Na world dey end so ooo. Make every man repent !
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Greatken007(m): 12:44pm On Jun 25, 2013
BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT IS AN INDICATOR FOR END TIME....CHECK THE GLOBAL TREND YOU WILL NOTICE THAT THERE ARE ONLY 3 THINGS THAT AFFECT THE COMMON MAN...GLOBAL POLITICS(THROUGH DEMOCRACY MEN SHALL VOTE FOR ONE PRESIDENT TO RULE THEM...EU IS TRYING HARD),GLOBAL RELIGION(PEOPLE ARE NOW BEGIN TO BELIEVE THAT WE ARE SERVING ONE GOD WHICH I KNOW WE ARE NOT...HAVEN'T YOU HEAR OF CHRISLAM?)AND GLOBAL COMMERCE(USING ONE PATTERN OF TRADE SYSTEM AND ONE CURRENCY).MAN IS NOW USING ONE CENTRAL PROCESSING SYSTEM TO CONTROL THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD,ITS MEMORY NT IN GIGABITE BUT IN TERAFLOP(TALKING OF 1 BILLION/SECONDS TO PROCESS DATA),THE WORLD HAS REALLY GONE NUMERICAL.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Dewze(m): 12:50pm On Jun 25, 2013
barcanista: oga nothing is coming to pass. Na so them begin LIE say na President Obama be anti-christ, now them want shift gear. 2015 will come and go, No anti-christi will show up. Na today we don de hear anti-christ?

my brother I tire.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 25, 2013
Loss of national sovereignty is the most often mentioned disadvantage of monetary union. The transfer of money and fiscal competencies from national to community level, would mean economically strong and stable countries like nigeria would have to co-operate in the field of economic policy with other, weaker, countries, which are more tolerant to higher inflation. And no matter what their individual economic circumstances dictate, some countries may find that they are unable to combat recession by loosening their fiscal stance. They would be unable to devalue to boost exports, to borrow more to boost job creation or cut taxes when they see fit because of the public deficit criterion. I think the disadvantages out-weighs the advantages in all senses.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Godson201333(m): 12:55pm On Jun 25, 2013
African leaders with their mentality,You want to spend single currency when each of West African nations do not treat each other like brothers and sisters most especially,Ghana ,Nigeria,Gambia,Liberia and Sierra Leone....Other francophone west african nations are already coping with the CFA and they find life easier than we Anglophones.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nwabueze Quits As National Conference Row Grows / Nigerians Are Lazy / Osinbajo: Nigeria Will Be OK If Things Work Well In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.